Author Topic: Air france anti semitism  (Read 925 times)

Offline David Weinberger

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Air france anti semitism
« on: August 19, 2024, 11:04:07 PM »
I originally booked a flight with Delta airlines direct going from TLV-JFK on August 8 for 2 adults and 2 infants. Just  a week before the flight, on August 1st, we got notified that our flight was cancelled due to rising conflict in the israel gaza war. The official delta policy is that they must reschedule on a new flight. However, they had no flights that were available and only offered a flight from PAris to JFK through Air France. We used a travel agent to get us onto an Elal flight from TLV- Paris which we had to pay out of pocket, $1800. This is the first thing I wanted to know about, how can I get delta airlines to reimburse me for the flight from TLV-Paris.

The second part of my story is about the anti semitism we experienced in Paris airport. Due to the last minute change of our flight, my 2 children were not registered in the system for the flight from Paris and we were told that we will need to recheck in at Paris airport. We landed at CDG and after picking up our luggage and walking 20 minutes to a different terminal for our Air France flight to recheck in for our flight to JFK, we experienced a terrible saga. Right before the baggage drop there was a line with a woman standing there checking the passports and boarding passes. She asked me for the passports and I put them down on the desk right in front of her since I am religious and it is better to do so and not hand it to a woman directly. Also, the desk was anyways there and I was holding 4 passports which either way made sense to put them down. She got so angry and started yelling and screaming "why dont you pass it to me? you dont respect me?" she repeated this a few times. She said I cant let you on i will call my supervisor. So we thought that the supervisor would come and let us on. When the story was repeated to the supervisor, she took our passports and started scanning them with her phone. It looked like she was videoing. She as well told us that when you are asked to pass the passports we must pass it. we started getting harassed that it seems like we never travelled to the states, we dont know that we have to give in passports, we tried apologizing but she just went on to the next people. We were totally lost and confused and did not know what we did wrong and that she was actually serious about us not going on for no reason.

we were lost and confused and there was not much time left until our flight was scheduled to depart. we tried going back to the previous line that we were on to check ourselves in, where they were pretty nice to us, and they took the passports and boarding passes, scanned them and said they see that we were asked 35 questions which we did not answer (which was totally made up) and they are sorry but we are denied from the flight. She took a pen and crossed out all 4 boarding passes and did not give them back to us.

in the meantime the woman who started this ordeal was threatening us that we should go to the US embassy since we are denied entry to the US, she was yelling that we don't respect her and none of her colleagues or the staff said anything.

By then we realized we were in a dangerous place and they were all just harassing us for anti semitic reasons. we left that area all confused and had no clue what to do so we immediately went to try to get onto the next flight but there were no flights until the next day which was friday afternoon. we couldn't take that flight since it was going to be shabbos and also there was no way we would stay overnight.

I called my travel agent and said he must get us onto any flight asap since we were threatened and did not want the situation to escalate by us being there. He found 2 seats on Norse airlines for $3054 total. It was not something we could afford at all especially on the spot and after spending so much money on the flights in the first place but we had to get out of there.

any suggestions for help would be appreciated.

Offline iluv2travel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Air france anti semitism
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2024, 12:21:23 AM »
It sounds like you were in a very horrible, stressful situation and I commiserate with you.

The fact that you accepted on your own for Delta to fly you only from Paris when you originally bought a ticket from TLV is a big problem - you should have insisted on having them cover the full route as paid. DL partners with Elal and they should have booked you on that flight to Paris as well at no cost to you.

But that's over. At this point you can request a full refund from DL because they did not provide you with any part of your ticket. They unfortunately most likely will not reimburse you for the expensive flights with Norse, because again you did that on your own volition, although I understand that you needed to get out of there ASAP but they unfortunately don't.

I'm sorry for your situation and perhaps others have better advice.

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2024, 12:24:27 AM »
Regarding the anti-semetic part, unless you have something on video, it's fighting an uphill battle. You can maybe try to get some surveillance video, but I don't know what the public-records laws are in Paris.

Maybe you can ask @Dan to reach out to the airline for comment, but lacking any real evidence, they can just present their story and stick with it.

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2024, 12:34:10 AM »
I don't think you can do anything about the mistreatment you experienced, that's galus, but at least try to reclaim the money you had to spend on the other flight you had to book last minute. Maybe try with Delta to compensate you as their partner flight they provided denied you boarding? 

Offline Boss

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2024, 12:37:44 AM »
Seems like everything should be verifiable via security camera. Any way to force them for the footage?

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2024, 01:23:12 AM »
I'd reach out to delta about this, but first, is it possible the boarding denial was for a reason other than antisemitism?

Offline lover of truth

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ly matmid gold, fish grill platinum,
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2024, 03:38:49 AM »
Feel really bad that u had to shell out thousands
when tlv-cdg ly should have been covered by delta
and why didnt the TA insist from the begining
that AF put you on ly  operated
which is guaranteed to run
seems like major malprac to me
this TA seems like he is happy to sell u tickets..
fairly possible he somehow botched up your flights with AF
bec he seems like a novice

Offline oldguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2024, 03:45:13 PM »
If the AF segment is only avail in Premium or Business than DL won't put you on it.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2024, 03:21:06 PM »
Interesting that I just spoke to someone 2 days ago that was booked direct back from TLV last week too on Delta. They rebooked no problem via Paris ORIGINATING IN TLV with Elal flight to Paris and then Air France - zero cost out of pocket to them. Both flights were uneventful other than the luggage not arriving on their flight but it was delivered following day.

I hate to say this, but a lot of the onus here is on the travel agent that the OP used - they were either a total newbie and inexperienced or were just taking them for a ride.

Offline lover of truth

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ly matmid gold, fish grill platinum,
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2024, 05:34:59 PM »
Interesting that I just spoke to someone 2 days ago that was booked direct back from TLV last week too on Delta. They rebooked no problem via Paris ORIGINATING IN TLV with Elal flight to Paris and then Air France - zero cost out of pocket to them. Both flights were uneventful other than the luggage not arriving on their flight but it was delivered following day.

I hate to say this, but a lot of the onus here is on the travel agent that the OP used - they were either a total newbie and inexperienced or were just taking them for a ride.
+1

Offline the travel agent

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2024, 03:56:37 PM »
how about there were no seats available on elal???
only by waitlisting, which delta cant do, next time think before you post

Offline yfr bachur

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2024, 05:21:52 AM »
something is missing in this story...

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2024, 11:33:43 AM »
how about there were no seats available on elal???
only by waitlisting, which delta cant do, next time think before you post

Are you saying you are the OP's travel agent?

If yes, leaving aside how he got into this mess, are you trying to assist in getting him reimbursed by delta for any of this?

Either way, please keep the calm tone of the thread.

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2024, 12:17:36 PM »
Anti-semitism is the least of what went wrong here. The rebooking made absolutely no sense and was guaranteed to cause OP problems. Delta's policy is definitely not that they have to reschedule you on a different airline from a different origin airport. If they were rebooking you anyway, it could have been TLV-CDG-JFK on AF or better yet TLV-JFK on El Al which is now a Delta/AF partner. Also, why use a travel agent for such a simple itinerary?

Passing things over the counter is very cultural. In Japan, you almost never hand anything over to a cashier/agent. There are these little blue trays every store uses. It's odd that somebody whose job involves interfacing with people from all over the world would not have experienced a people that put things down instead of handing them over. Certainly could be anti-semitism but maybe you caught her on a bad day? Also, it's France. Customer service means the customer serves the employee.

Contact Delta and enjoy your 5000 Skypesos.

Offline Boss

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2024, 04:19:44 PM »
Sounds like a Lawyer would be your best bet here as they can probably obtain the footage by law