Topic Wiki

BRG is a way of getting compensation for finding a cheaper rate then the one offered by the hotel website.  Compensation varies greatly by the hotel brand policy. It can be in the one following: first night free, gift cards, matched rate with an additional percent discount as well as bonus points.

Hotel brand/ site compensation policy
Please note: most will match the rate plus give compensation.
Choice hotel : $50 VISA gift card plus rate matched (US residents) OR first night free plus rate matched (non-US residents). It goes by the address you write on the reservation so if you Write down an Israel (or anywhere non U.S) address, you're good
Ihg: rate matched plus 5x points for the reservation
Best Western: rate matched plus 100$ BW travel card
Marriott: 25% off matched rate or 5,000 Marriott points
Hyatt: 20% off matched rate or 5,000 Hyatt points
Hilton: 25% off matched rate
Wyndham: rate matched plus 3,000 Wyndham points

How to find a brg claim
Search for the hotel and dates of your choice and then the fun begins.
Hotel price comparison web sites are great way of finding BRGs. Some of the following work very well:

TripAdvisor.com
Hotelscombined.com
Trivago.com
Wego.com

If you want some tutorial articles about how BRGs work, how to find them, how to match them, and all the details, go to http://brgdeals.blogspot.com/ and read the articles.

The site run by a guy named David, and he also finds BRGs and posts them there. So If you don't want to start making one yourself, just go to his site, search for the city you need and see if there are any current BRGs available. You can also be spontaneous and look at his most recent finds (he posts new ones almost daily), although you may have not planned a trip, but if you can get it free (or discounted) hey why not.

How to claim a brg
You do need to book the hotel first and then file a BRG claim.  Just search the hotels/ third party site for a best rate gaurantee policy and you should be able to find a link to a brg claim form. Be aware that room and conditions need to be a perfect match.
As they often find ways to wiggle out of this policy it's not advised to book a non refundable room unless you would have stayed there regardless.

Redeeming brgs
No  diff as to the form of compensation ( discount or free night) redeeming Is all the same. Your reservation will look like a standard reservation except it will be either discounted or show a 00.00 balance. Most hotel receptionists aren't familiar with brgs and automatically assume that it's a points stay.

Why I love choice brgs
Choice hotels include brands like quality inn, comfort inn, rodeway and of course the ascend collection. They are fairly easy when it comes to approving claims as long as you stick to the following:
- 1 claim per household per 30 days
- price match before taxes (ymmv on this one)
- your claim is submitted / approved 72 hours before your scheduled stay
However even within those policy's there are plenty of loop
Holes.

When Posting a brg please use the following Example format:

BRG claim for: Choice Hotels
Hotel Name: comfort suites
Hotel Add: 320 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL, US, 60601
Room Type: Queen Suite
Room Rate:197
Better rate found: Hotelscombined.com
Better Rate: 127
« Last edited by a mirrer on August 05, 2019, 01:23:12 PM »

Author Topic: Free hotels/Best rate guarantee  (Read 438762 times)

Offline Einstein

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Free hotels/Best rate guarantee
« Reply #1920 on: August 09, 2015, 02:36:31 AM »
Which hotel websites have the same cancellation policy as IHG, they keep denying me because of slightly different cancellation policys
If you think nobody cares about you... just forget to pay your credit card bill

Offline Welder

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: August 09, 2015, 02:44:48 AM »
Which hotel websites have the same cancellation policy as IHG, they keep denying me because of slightly different cancellation policys
Sometimes Booking.com will match the hotels own cancelation policy. But IME, the way to go with IHG is with non-refundable fares.
"We need more welders and less philosophers" — Marco Rubio

Offline MosheD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: August 09, 2015, 05:41:27 PM »
I honestly have no clue how you guys do it  :-[
Im like 0-20
Its frikin impossible
Just tried 3 dif legit ones for this week and nothing, by the time they check website is updated

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #1923 on: August 10, 2015, 01:35:56 AM »
Just got a BRG from SPG (just 20%, or in this case $100), bunch of their palo alto area hotels have discounts on hotels.com (e.g. the Sheraton Sunnyvale) and when not sold out, u can order on their website and send them the hotels.com info. went from 439 to 329 (still redic, but saving my client a nice amount and paying less than him :)). sample date is Aug 12-13

Offline Jimgotkp

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: August 10, 2015, 03:37:08 AM »
Just got a BRG from SPG (just 20%, or in this case $100), bunch of their palo alto area hotels have discounts on hotels.com (e.g. the Sheraton Sunnyvale) and when not sold out, u can order on their website and send them the hotels.com info. went from 439 to 329 (still redic, but saving my client a nice amount and paying less than him :)). sample date is Aug 12-13

BRGs with SPG are pretty easy IME, especially nice that the CXL policy doesn't matter at all either. I don't mind Hyatt but it really depends on the agents that review the claim request. Never did a BRG claim with Hilton yet since it only seems to make sense on one-night reservations.

Offline chayal101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: August 10, 2015, 11:26:25 PM »
So i have a BRG claim with IHG: the same price for a IHG non-refundable rate vs. a free cancellation rate...
Ofcourse, I can't book the best flexible rate as the cancellation date is a date early for the other site... That means that i haveto book the NOn-refundable rate which i really wouldn't want to do...
Anyone ever been successful with this scenario RECENTLY (not a year ago...)?
Also if i want to book the non-refundable rate can i use a gift card that has a balance of $5??
Chaya L.

Offline yakrot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: August 11, 2015, 12:05:34 AM »
So i have a BRG claim with IHG: the same price for a IHG non-refundable rate vs. a free cancellation rate...
Ofcourse, I can't book the best flexible rate as the cancellation date is a date early for the other site... That means that i haveto book the NOn-refundable rate which i really wouldn't want to do...
Anyone ever been successful with this scenario RECENTLY (not a year ago...)?
Also if i want to book the non-refundable rate can i use a gift card that has a balance of $5??
Did you read the thread at all?  Someone literally just reported on this last week.

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: August 11, 2015, 07:10:31 AM »
denied on a 3 day paid stay since there are now no more rooms for sale...wonder if a screenshot will help at all

Offline Welder

• View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: August 11, 2015, 07:18:44 AM »
Did you read the thread at all?  Someone literally just reported on this last week.
+1

Offline Welder

• View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: August 11, 2015, 07:19:09 AM »
denied on a 3 day paid stay since there are now no more rooms for sale...wonder if a screenshot will help at all
No. But doesn't hurt to try.

Offline chayal101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: August 11, 2015, 01:48:13 PM »
How long is the turnaround time for a response for a IHG BRG claim?
Chaya L.

Offline jstu

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: August 11, 2015, 02:54:28 PM »
Does anyone have a data point for calling the actual hotel and changing the card on file BEFORE they charge it? Will they consider that reason to cancel the free night?
They will invalidate the claim, otherwise it would be way too easy ;)
Sometimes it doesn't pay to save money.

Offline Welder

• View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: August 11, 2015, 03:45:50 PM »
They will invalidate the claim, otherwise it would be way too easy ;)

Did you see this post?

Just got the confirmation email confirming my free night and that they the adjusted my rate. This is after I called, a few days ago, and changed the card on file from a $1 GC to a real CC.

Offline jstu

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: August 12, 2015, 01:06:57 AM »
I have had many claims denied for switching the card on file, they are very inconsistent in their ways and it depends who handles your claim.
Sometimes it doesn't pay to save money.

Offline srap

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: August 12, 2015, 03:46:24 AM »
What is the purpose of Amextravel.com listing a lowest rate guarantee? 
 Hotel “Lowest Rate Guaranteed” Terms and Conditions: If you book a qualifying prepaid hotel rate on amextravel.com and then find the same room, in the same hotel, for the same dates, the same number of children and adults, at a lower price online, before taxes and fees, we'll refund you the difference.

Is the only purpose of this to protect a nonrefundable rate after it was already paid on Amextravel?
The guarantee makes no sense to those who found a lower rate elsewhere before they were to book on Amextravel. 

Offline D93

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1935 on: August 12, 2015, 03:57:38 AM »
What is the purpose of Amextravel.com listing a lowest rate guarantee? 
 Hotel “Lowest Rate Guaranteed” Terms and Conditions: If you book a qualifying prepaid hotel rate on amextravel.com and then find the same room, in the same hotel, for the same dates, the same number of children and adults, at a lower price online, before taxes and fees, we'll refund you the difference.

Is the only purpose of this to protect a nonrefundable rate after it was already paid on Amextravel?
The guarantee makes no sense to those who found a lower rate elsewhere before they were to book on Amextravel.

The purpose is to get you to book through AmexTravel and not through a different party.

Offline abo456

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: August 13, 2015, 01:03:48 AM »
Just got the confirmation email confirming my free night and that they the adjusted my rate. This is after I called, a few days ago, and changed the card on file from a $1 GC to a real CC.

What happens if the claim for a non-refundable night does not get approved with the $1 VGC on the reservation? I imagine they wouldnt be happy and could block the name/address on your reservation from making future BRG claims.  Any experiences when the $1 trick didnt work out?

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: August 13, 2015, 02:46:05 AM »
What happens if the claim for a non-refundable night does not get approved with the $1 VGC on the reservation? I imagine they wouldnt be happy and could block the name/address on your reservation from making future BRG claims.  Any experiences when the $1 trick didnt work out?
They don't block you. They just don't honor the BRG

Offline Welder

• View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: August 13, 2015, 09:18:46 AM »
Just got my second, nonrefundable fare, BRG confirmation with IHG. Both of them were originally booked with a $1 GC and then switched to a real CC.

Here is the confirmation letter:

Dear Welder,

Greetings from the Best Price Guarantee Helpdesk, we are contacting you with regard to your reservation at the XXX on 00/00/2015 under confirmation number 000.

We are pleased to confirm the adjustment of your reservation to a free night. It is possible that when checking your reservation online you may no longer be able to view it or it may not show the adjusted rate which is caused by a limitation in the system; we apologize if this would cause you any confusion but rest assured that the hotel has contacted us to confirm that this adjustment has been made.

Please be advised that since the reservation has been booked under an advance purchase rate it is possible that the hotel has already collected the deposit for this reservation. For more assistance concerning charges made to your credit card please contact the hotel directly as our department is unable to access the local billing system of the hotel. Please be informed that the Free Night is subject to the hotel’s regular cancellation policy of the rate you have originally booked as described below.

A deposit is due at time of booking. Canceling your reservation or failing to arrive will result in forfeiture of your deposit. Taxes may apply.

As a reminder, please note the following:

1. The reservation is non-transferable and the name/s on the reservation must remain the same. The primary guest must be present during check-in.
2. This claim has been deemed valid for one adult and two children based on the reservation submitted to us. Please be advised that if the occupancy of the room exceeds the prescribed number the free night shall be forfeited.
3. Any changes to the reservation such as number of occupants, length of stay, dates of stay, type of room and such are not allowed and would mean the forfeiture of your free night.
4. A valid government issued ID is required upon check-in that matches the name found on the reservation for the free night to be honored. Once a valid claim has been made and approved by IHG for a specific date, no further claims by the same person or anyone in the same household will be accepted for the same date.
5. If an individual or members of the same household make multiple claims for two or more nights in the same seven (7) day period at the same IHG hotel or at different IHG hotels within fifty (50) miles of each other, the claims will be treated as, and limited to, one claim for one stay, even if booked through more than one reservation, and only the Best Price Guarantee claim for the first night will be honored.
6. Cancellation of the reservation shall mean the forfeiture of the free night and any applicable rate adjustment

IHG reserves the right to cancel a previously awarded free night and to cancel the lower prices for the rest of the nights of a multi-night reservation if it is found that a customer has violated or circumvented the Best Price Guarantee Terms & Conditions. Resale of rooms eligible for the Best Price Guarantee is strictly prohibited. In the event IHG believes that a room eligible for the Best Price Guarantee has been resold, or the Best Price Guarantee is otherwise being intentionally abused or manipulated to circumvent its intent, we reserve the right to cancel the previously-awarded free room night and to cancel the lower prices for the rest of the nights of a multi-night reservation, and to reject future Best Price Guarantee claims from any persons who participated in such actions.

We look forward to accommodating your upcoming reservation and if you need further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

Miguel Locsin
Best Price Guarantee Helpdesk
IHG

Nothing there about changing payment methods.

Offline abo456

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: August 13, 2015, 10:01:12 AM »
They don't block you. They just don't honor the BRG

But you are expected to pay for the full price of the room on a non-refundable room if the BRG is not honored. My question is what happens when they charge the credit card on file and they can only charge $1? They would notice they arent able to charge the full price of the room. I can't imagine they would just let you go with only $1