Author Topic: AMEX CLAWING BACK AMEX OFFERS CREDITS!!  (Read 38831 times)

Offline Yammer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX CLAWING BACK AMEX OFFERS CREDITS!!
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2018, 01:36:42 AM »
So if someone had multiple authorized user cards, each with separate names, logins, and socials, Amex considers all of them collectively to be subject to the one offer per “cardholder” limit?
Without SSN
Fwiw I had the offer added on cards with individual separate logins. No multi tab trick used and I still got nailed.

Also its widely reported staples threw a temper tantrum on this. Canceling orders etc. Could explain it.

Offline J-town

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2018, 02:45:37 AM »
Everyone is reporting emails. Has anyone actually gotten charged yet?

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2018, 04:56:58 AM »
Everyone is reporting emails. Has anyone actually gotten charged yet?
It specifically says "you will see this adjustment on an upcoming statement." I guess time will tell.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline J-town

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2018, 05:47:41 AM »
It specifically says "you will see this adjustment on an upcoming statement." I guess time will tell.

Same way it takes 8-12 weeks for the credits to post in the first place.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2018, 07:37:35 AM »
We paly these games to get around the T&C's. Then when we get caught we cry like babies. Take the hit and just move on.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2018, 07:46:07 AM »
We paly these games to get around the T&C's. Then when we get caught we cry like babies. Take the hit and just move on.
What about the guys who made 5k off 20k in scamming amex? They loose an actual 15k! (For example of you bought let's say GC for 100%, got 10% back and sold the cards for 93/92%)
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2018, 08:02:35 AM »
What about the guys who made 5k off 20k in scamming amex? They loose an actual 15k! (For example of you bought let's say GC for 100%, got 10% back and sold the cards for 93/92%)
Not sure what your question is.

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2018, 08:05:38 AM »
Not sure what your question is.
They are not just taking a hit, they're practically taking a bankruptcy.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Geshmak25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2018, 08:07:26 AM »
I think the issue people are having is that they are enforcing a part of the T&Cs that they haven't previously enforced and they did it on a big ticket item which could end up costing people a ton of money.
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2018, 08:10:30 AM »
They are not just taking a hit, they're practically taking a bankruptcy.
Ouch but that is not Amex's fault. In case you are not aware in the MS game 4/5 figure hits are common occurrences. There are risks we all take playing these games.

Offline farmbochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2018, 08:11:13 AM »
I think the issue people are having is that they are enforcing a part of the T&Cs that they haven't previously enforced and they did it on a big ticket item which could end up costing people a ton of money.
As long as they don't touch SC we should all be able to walk away in the black...
Risk is opportunity

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2018, 08:14:12 AM »
I fully understand. The issue is we played many games to get these offers to work more than once. We got caught. I expect everyone to be upset but if you can't do the time then don't do the crime.  ;)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2018, 08:18:29 AM »
According to DOC, Staples and Lowes offers are paid by AMEX (to replace the OPEN program).
OPEN was funded by the retailer.
I highly doubt AMEX is funding the full amount, more likely is that's it's some sort of split and the merchants that agreed to the split were featured.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Geshmak25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2018, 08:48:10 AM »
Any thoughts on whether Amex will clawback for people that only used the offer once but did so on their personal card?
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2018, 08:58:18 AM »
Any thoughts on whether Amex will clawback for people that only used the offer once but did so on their personal card?
Only time will tell but smart money says this is not the end of it.

Offline knowitall

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2018, 09:24:46 AM »
It's one thing to claw back points that haven't been redeemed or if someone bought the GC from staples and the credits didn't post.
But this is a whole new ballgame. Imagine if WF suddenly charged you for all you made off them.
Something tells me you would be crying like a baby :)

Offline JACKBLUE

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2018, 09:29:05 AM »
It's one thing to claw back points that haven't been redeemed or if someone bought the GC from staples and the credits didn't post.
But this is a whole new ballgame. Imagine if WF suddenly charged you for all you made off them.
Now you’re going personal!!

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2018, 09:29:15 AM »
What games did I play with WF to get the offer to work? I have lost 5 figures before and not one tear.  :)

Offline explorer84

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2018, 09:34:55 AM »
(attorney here, and not giving legal opinion only thoughts)

Without digging into the T&Cs before and after the change, there is certainly a legal argument that previous course and dealings with AMEX gave the consumer the impression that Amex was allowing it on a per-card (AUs) basis vs. a person basis. To suddenly change the course of dealing without proper notice and expressed consent from the consumer that the T&Cs changed certainly raises at least some grounds to argue against the clawback. Does anyone have the T&Cs before and after? If so, please post.

Amex will just argue that despite what the "Amex Offer" T&Cs were, you agreed to the "standard card agreement" which certainly has some language that gives them the right to do this. Again, I don't know, I'd have to read everything.

If the card agreement requires arbitration and that Amex will pay the arbitration costs (whether you win or lose), then it may be a good idea to go that route to at least try. On the other hand, if you have to go court, then be careful there isn't a prevailing attorneys' fee provision and mind which court you must file in.

I have spoken with in-house Amex counsel before - not about this issue, but generally - and they generally try to settle cases rather than litigate. I am talking disputes, not collections though.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2018, 09:40:01 AM »
Does anyone have the T&Cs before and after? If so, please post.
Staples offer.

Details
Get 10% back as a statement credit each time you use your enrolled Business Card on eligible purchases in-store at Staples or online at Staples.com by 11/30/18. Limit $100 in total statement credits. See terms and exclusions.

Offer Terms
Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem. Only U.S.-issued American Express® Business Cards are eligible to enroll. Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card. Limit of $100 in total statement credits per American Express® Card Member. Offer valid in-store, via the Staples mobile app and online at Staples.com. Valid at participating locations in US. Not valid on purchases shipped outside of the US. Valid on US website only. Excludes Quill, Smilemaker, Staples Business Advantage, Staples 4 Government, Staples Toner Services, Staples Technology Solutions, Staples Promotional Products, Staples Print Solutions, Copy and Printing Services, Staples Contract and Commercial, Staples App Center, Staples Industrial, Staples Book Rental, Staples Simplexity, Staples Share Fund, Coastwide Labs, Catalog and Staples Fundraising. Not valid for gift cards in bulk purchases. Offer is non-transferable. Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 11/30/18, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase. Note that American Express may not receive information about your qualifying purchase from merchant until all items from your qualifying purchase have been provided/shipped by merchant. Statement credit may be reversed if qualifying purchase is returned/cancelled. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as qualifying for the offer, you will not receive the statement credit. For example, your transaction will not qualify if it is not made directly with the<br>merchant. In addition, in most cases, you may not receive the statement credit if your transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it. By adding an offer to a Card, you agree that American Express may send you communications about the offer. POID: GB5E:0001