Author Topic: Melbourne Master Thread  (Read 175733 times)

Offline JlmBoi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Melbourne Master Thread
« Reply #180 on: June 08, 2021, 01:54:37 AM »
Thanks! Coles worked out great [for the most part]!
https://kosherkingdom.com.au/

Good option

Hope the lockdown ends soon
The chiddush of DDF is the way Dan Deals with all us crazies 🤪

Offline Gvann

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF gold elite, AA Executive Platinum, DL outcasted platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Hyatt Discoverist
« Reply #181 on: May 13, 2022, 11:20:46 AM »
Has anyone tried using someone else suite upgrade at Hyatt Melbourne before? Any history of working?

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF gold elite, AA Executive Platinum, DL outcasted platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Hyatt Discoverist
« Reply #182 on: May 17, 2022, 01:40:07 PM »
Smart move. You can still do the GOR in one day, just turn around after the 12 Apostles.

Is this a realistic ambition? What about doing GOR for one day and doing Grampians another day. Planning to be in Melbourne for a week. What other good ideas would be an option?

Anyone done Phillips island to watch penguins?

Basically looking for scenic spots that are unique for Australia, kangaroos, and penguins. Any help appreciated thanks.

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 17, 2022, 01:57:19 PM »
Is this a realistic ambition? What about doing GOR for one day and doing Grampians another day. Planning to be in Melbourne for a week. What other good ideas would be an option?

Basically looking for scenic spots that are unique for Australia, kangaroos, and penguins. Any help appreciated thanks.
You can do the Gampians, I just didn't have time, but I hear it's amazing. Phillips island is also supposed to be nice, I just haven't been there either.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #184 on: May 17, 2022, 01:58:43 PM »

We did a night on the GOR and a night in the Grampians.
Was epic, though it was a bit rushed.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 25, 2022, 11:20:41 AM »
We did a night on the GOR and a night in the Grampians.
Was epic, though it was a bit rushed.
I meant like doing gor one day and going back to Melbourne and then going to Grampians another day. Think it’s too much? What’s to do in Grampians with baby?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 25, 2022, 11:38:36 AM »
I meant like doing gor one day and going back to Melbourne and then going to Grampians another day. Think it’s too much? What’s to do in Grampians with baby?
That's way too much driving imo, as the GOR is on the way to the Gampians. If you want to do them, don't go back to Melbourne.

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 28, 2022, 03:07:11 PM »
We spent a week in Melbourne, with a 7night stay at park Hyatt, upgraded to a suite from DDF transaction. Nice room. The hotel is nothing crazy compared to Sydney and I wouldn’t try hard to stay there again if I got a good rate somewhere else but I think that I actually got it significantly cheaper than it usually is as they are just getting back into tourism and it was winter. Plus it was even more discounted for being a long stay.

Rented a Mercedes gls200 from Sixt, ended up costing more than I thought, but base rates was 50usd. Seems in Australia you have to pay for insurance but I could be wrong, something about how the insurance works, there is no such thing as liability it’s all included in the same price of insurance. Don’t know how it works with credit card but didn’t have time to find out and we only rented for a few days so I didn’t mind so much.

The place to eat is SPOT ON in ripponlea. Amazing food and it’s dairy in the morning and then meat in the evening. We went to both and it’s incredible food. And great prices compared to America. Other places that were good is Nogga sushi which was way cheaper than America. Kosher kingdom is the kosher store and they also have sushi in the fridge for cheap. Bakeries included Zelda (only open a couple days a week I think) and glicks. Both good.

Tons of shuls. Adas is more chassidish but have minyanim frequently and Mikva in the shul. There is shaarei and heichal just to name a few. I Davened in heichal with the family I stayed by for shabbos and the Rav and everyone there is very nice and very happy to have a visitor.

Things to do: Phillip island is currently I think only place to see penguins. In Melbourne itself there is st Kilda pier however the part of the pier where the penguins go is currently closed until 2024 so if you’re lucky you can see from somewhere else on the pier but since they come out when its basically dark you’re not in much luck. So you have to go to Phillip island. It’s beautiful there. The coast has water that looks like its from Antarctica and it’s a stunning coast line with rocks and cliffs and little islands just off the shore. There is a really fun drive along the coast at the end of the island where you’ll see tons of kangaroos as well. We actually did not end up staying for the penguins because of the following breakdown of how it works.

For 20 dollars you can sit in the bleachers out far from where the penguins come up. For 75 dollars I think it was you can sit up close on top of the “highway” that they come through and you’ll get a good view of hundreds of penguins, for 85 dollars you sit directly underneath the 75 dollar chevra in a room that is half underground so you se eye view of the penguins, and for 110 dollars I think it was you can get a private guide to bring you out to the actual highway and you can sit on the sand right where the penguins come and they may even come up to you. Here is the catch. There is absolutely no pictures allowed to be taken. Because Australia decided that they own the penguins so they can make a rule that no pictures can be taken, and there are many workers that patrol the area to make sure no pictures can be taken. So if you want to pay a ton of money just to see penguins that you can see in the zoo and take pictures of in the zoo, it’s probably really cool. There are hundreds of them. But my guess is the only options worth it is the private guide because at least that is an experience that you won’t get in the zoo, just remembering that it’s a crime to take pictures of the penguins. Also, you can’t take kids with you to the private guide and it seems they strongly discourage kids at all because sudden outbursts can alarm the penguins. So since we had our baby we picked the baby over the penguins (and we are even allowed to take pictures of our baby).
All that said Phillip island is definitely worth the trip as it’s unforgettable views and really close up drives near kangaroos. (You can take pictures of kangaroos).

Great ocean road is the other big road trip that everyone does. It’s Also really quite stunning. We caught some really blue skies and some really heavy rains. But it was fun and incredible the whole way and there are tons of places you can stop and either go for walks or take amazing pictures. Some of the various sceneries along the way are beaches, cliffs, forests, valleys, mountains, bridges, paths along the mountains, animals, rainforests, cool birds, unique little towns, (all of which you can take pictures of for anyone keeping tabs). We did it in one day, and we got up to the 12 (7) apostles area. There are only 7 left though I’m not sure I even saw that many. You’re allowed to take pictures of the apostles that are remaining but you can’t take pictures of the ones that disappeared. Right after the apostles just a few minutes drive is small area with a few more stunning views. One of which is called thunder cave. It’s really something amazing to see. That is what we were able to do before dark and then we took the shorter drive through the country and mountains back (it’s dark so you won’t see much but it certainly doesn’t make sense to drive back on great ocean road in the dark since it’s longer. But the views were amazing and definitely worth doing.

We also spent a day going through the business district. There is free trams through that area and it’s right next to park Hyatt. We ended up walking around without using the tram. High end stores and fun places to walk around. It’s a nice clean city mostly. Good places to buy uggs for those interested in that kind of thing. Also went to the aquarium. It’s small and you could do the whole thing in 20 minutes. It’s called sealife and there are various locations across the country including Sydney. It seems that they really took advantage of the fact that finding Nemo took place in Sydney because all the posters and wallpapers advertising the aquarium have all the animals from finding Nemo on them. Seems they really enjoy being able to claim they are the country that finding Nemo took place in. Really cheeky gimmik because no one’s coming to an aquarium to see a clown fish. But still enjoyable and they have a cool walkthrough tank with really big fish, and a cool penguin exhibit (and you can take pictures of these penguins!)

Even though we had the hotel for 7 nights, we stayed by a friend’s family for shabbos, which was night 5. It made sense mathematically to book for a week, and we were able to leave right before shabbos and come back right after without having to check in, and we only brought what we needed for shabbos. I would strongly recommend staying in the community for shabbos, it’s a very nice crowd and warm Shuls. Many families that would love to host. (But you can’t take pictures on shabbos ;) )

All in all, a week may be a little long, I would have been good with 5 days including shabbos. However, because of traveling with baby and needing to move a little slower pace we had some cushion days to not make the trip so dense. It was enjoyable to be away and it wasn’t boring being there for 7 days, But some people may do more than one day on great ocean road and also the Grampians. Also Tasmania is a short flight away and there is also an overnight ferry to get there as well from Melbourne. Many people recommended going to Queensland, it seems that is the big getaway spot for Melbourne folk. But it’s hot year round so it’s personal preference. Also even though it was winter we had a great time and weather never got in the way of doing anything. Even on great ocean road we caught clear skies the whole morning and when it rained it was about 5 to 10 min and then there were even some more points of sunlight. The road looks amazing on a cloudy day too.

10/10 would definitely recommend doing Australia! It’s amazing.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 28, 2022, 08:55:04 PM »
We spent a week in Melbourne, with a 7night stay at park Hyatt, upgraded to a suite from DDF transaction. Nice room. The hotel is nothing crazy compared to Sydney and I wouldn’t try hard to stay there again if I got a good rate somewhere else but I think that I actually got it significantly cheaper than it usually is as they are just getting back into tourism and it was winter. Plus it was even more discounted for being a long stay.

Rented a Mercedes gls200 from Sixt, ended up costing more than I thought, but base rates was 50usd. Seems in Australia you have to pay for insurance but I could be wrong, something about how the insurance works, there is no such thing as liability it’s all included in the same price of insurance. Don’t know how it works with credit card but didn’t have time to find out and we only rented for a few days so I didn’t mind so much.

The place to eat is SPOT ON in ripponlea. Amazing food and it’s dairy in the morning and then meat in the evening. We went to both and it’s incredible food. And great prices compared to America. Other places that were good is Nogga sushi which was way cheaper than America. Kosher kingdom is the kosher store and they also have sushi in the fridge for cheap. Bakeries included Zelda (only open a couple days a week I think) and glicks. Both good.

Tons of shuls. Adas is more chassidish but have minyanim frequently and Mikva in the shul. There is shaarei and heichal just to name a few. I Davened in heichal with the family I stayed by for shabbos and the Rav and everyone there is very nice and very happy to have a visitor.

Things to do: Phillip island is currently I think only place to see penguins. In Melbourne itself there is st Kilda pier however the part of the pier where the penguins go is currently closed until 2024 so if you’re lucky you can see from somewhere else on the pier but since they come out when its basically dark you’re not in much luck. So you have to go to Phillip island. It’s beautiful there. The coast has water that looks like its from Antarctica and it’s a stunning coast line with rocks and cliffs and little islands just off the shore. There is a really fun drive along the coast at the end of the island where you’ll see tons of kangaroos as well. We actually did not end up staying for the penguins because of the following breakdown of how it works.

For 20 dollars you can sit in the bleachers out far from where the penguins come up. For 75 dollars I think it was you can sit up close on top of the “highway” that they come through and you’ll get a good view of hundreds of penguins, for 85 dollars you sit directly underneath the 75 dollar chevra in a room that is half underground so you se eye view of the penguins, and for 110 dollars I think it was you can get a private guide to bring you out to the actual highway and you can sit on the sand right where the penguins come and they may even come up to you. Here is the catch. There is absolutely no pictures allowed to be taken. Because Australia decided that they own the penguins so they can make a rule that no pictures can be taken, and there are many workers that patrol the area to make sure no pictures can be taken. So if you want to pay a ton of money just to see penguins that you can see in the zoo and take pictures of in the zoo, it’s probably really cool. There are hundreds of them. But my guess is the only options worth it is the private guide because at least that is an experience that you won’t get in the zoo, just remembering that it’s a crime to take pictures of the penguins. Also, you can’t take kids with you to the private guide and it seems they strongly discourage kids at all because sudden outbursts can alarm the penguins. So since we had our baby we picked the baby over the penguins (and we are even allowed to take pictures of our baby).
All that said Phillip island is definitely worth the trip as it’s unforgettable views and really close up drives near kangaroos. (You can take pictures of kangaroos).

Great ocean road is the other big road trip that everyone does. It’s Also really quite stunning. We caught some really blue skies and some really heavy rains. But it was fun and incredible the whole way and there are tons of places you can stop and either go for walks or take amazing pictures. Some of the various sceneries along the way are beaches, cliffs, forests, valleys, mountains, bridges, paths along the mountains, animals, rainforests, cool birds, unique little towns, (all of which you can take pictures of for anyone keeping tabs). We did it in one day, and we got up to the 12 (7) apostles area. There are only 7 left though I’m not sure I even saw that many. You’re allowed to take pictures of the apostles that are remaining but you can’t take pictures of the ones that disappeared. Right after the apostles just a few minutes drive is small area with a few more stunning views. One of which is called thunder cave. It’s really something amazing to see. That is what we were able to do before dark and then we took the shorter drive through the country and mountains back (it’s dark so you won’t see much but it certainly doesn’t make sense to drive back on great ocean road in the dark since it’s longer. But the views were amazing and definitely worth doing.

We also spent a day going through the business district. There is free trams through that area and it’s right next to park Hyatt. We ended up walking around without using the tram. High end stores and fun places to walk around. It’s a nice clean city mostly. Good places to buy uggs for those interested in that kind of thing. Also went to the aquarium. It’s small and you could do the whole thing in 20 minutes. It’s called sealife and there are various locations across the country including Sydney. It seems that they really took advantage of the fact that finding Nemo took place in Sydney because all the posters and wallpapers advertising the aquarium have all the animals from finding Nemo on them. Seems they really enjoy being able to claim they are the country that finding Nemo took place in. Really cheeky gimmik because no one’s coming to an aquarium to see a clown fish. But still enjoyable and they have a cool walkthrough tank with really big fish, and a cool penguin exhibit (and you can take pictures of these penguins!)

Even though we had the hotel for 7 nights, we stayed by a friend’s family for shabbos, which was night 5. It made sense mathematically to book for a week, and we were able to leave right before shabbos and come back right after without having to check in, and we only brought what we needed for shabbos. I would strongly recommend staying in the community for shabbos, it’s a very nice crowd and warm Shuls. Many families that would love to host. (But you can’t take pictures on shabbos ;) )

All in all, a week may be a little long, I would have been good with 5 days including shabbos. However, because of traveling with baby and needing to move a little slower pace we had some cushion days to not make the trip so dense. It was enjoyable to be away and it wasn’t boring being there for 7 days, But some people may do more than one day on great ocean road and also the Grampians. Also Tasmania is a short flight away and there is also an overnight ferry to get there as well from Melbourne. Many people recommended going to Queensland, it seems that is the big getaway spot for Melbourne folk. But it’s hot year round so it’s personal preference. Also even though it was winter we had a great time and weather never got in the way of doing anything. Even on great ocean road we caught clear skies the whole morning and when it rained it was about 5 to 10 min and then there were even some more points of sunlight. The road looks amazing on a cloudy day too.

10/10 would definitely recommend doing Australia! It’s amazing.
So happy you had enough time. See, it's totally possible to do the Great Ocean Road and go back to Melbourne in one day. Especially since, as you said, you're not seeing anything at night anyways because it's dark and you can drive back on the highway. Thank you for the TR.

Offline Ploni3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 27, 2023, 11:07:38 PM »
Are there any kosher places that deliver to the Park Hyatt  Uber Eats or their own delivery service?

Offline shlomi500

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 08, 2024, 06:03:28 AM »
i plan to spend a few days in melbourne, any recomdations other than great ocean road for a day trip up to 2 hours fro melbourne?
is their any wildlife hotspots near melbourne? is the penguin thin worth it?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #191 on: February 08, 2024, 10:45:47 AM »
i plan to spend a few days in melbourne, any recomdations other than great ocean road for a day trip up to 2 hours fro melbourne?
is their any wildlife hotspots near melbourne? is the penguin thin worth it?

GOR isn't really a day trip. Also, consider doing it with the Grampians.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Ploni3

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 08, 2024, 02:19:54 PM »
We had one day and did GOR. We don't regret it.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 08, 2024, 02:26:23 PM »
We had one day and did GOR. We don't regret it.
Of course you won't regret it, but it's so much better with more time.

Offline Ploni3

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 08, 2024, 03:03:17 PM »
Wouldn't disagree.

Offline shlomi500

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 11, 2024, 01:58:50 PM »
thanks,
i agree of course more time can be used for the gor but why is it diffrent than the road to hana as its done in one day?
i also feel we are going to new zeland after australia and grampians doesnt come in for me and better spend more time in melbourne.
would one and half days work out meaning start in early afternoon and continue next day this way im already at the gor??
thanks

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 14, 2024, 05:27:31 PM »
i agree of course more time can be used for the gor but why is it diffrent than the road to hana as its done in one day?
Are you serious?

Offline shlomi500

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 18, 2024, 06:33:44 AM »
Are you serious?

thanks,
original plan was drive to allansford the night before and  drive towards melbourne start at 7am and be at torqay by sunset and finish drive to melbourne at night, but im definitly going to have to dedicate more time to gor.
also as far as i have read in books the gor starts at allansford and ends at torqay, is their more to sea from their to melbourne?

Offline lansky

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 26, 2024, 08:29:17 AM »
Does anyone know the deal of bringing matza pesach time?

Offline lcm

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 26, 2024, 12:31:53 PM »
Does anyone know the deal of bringing matza pesach time?
If you can, bring maror too.
Some places in AU get crazy expensive, beyond imagination