Topic Wiki

Purchases That Work For Amex Platinum Travel Credit

The Business Platinum Card® (OUTDATED INFO)
Welcome Offer1
As a special offer you can get Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 and an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Platinum Card® from American Express within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Your application must be approved by January 25, 2017 to be eligible for this offer.

A Premium Business Card2
There are more than 40 Business Platinum Card® benefits, including world-class platinum service, travel benefits, rewards that can help reduce expenses and access to one-of-a-kind events.

Best Retention Offers
-Consumer Card: 50k No Spend Required, Called 7 Days before Due Date of Annual Fee
-Business Card:   

To sign up:

Consumer: http://www.dansdeals.com/go/Platinum5/
Business: http://www.dansdeals.com/go/BusinessPlat5/

« Last edited by yuneeq on January 11, 2022, 08:35:34 PM »

Author Topic: Amex Platinum Master Thread  (Read 1781867 times)

Offline nosson2

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Amex Platinum Master Thread
« Reply #10640 on: January 11, 2023, 10:30:30 PM »
This entire thread is predicated on the most granular loopholes and exploits for gaining these fee credits. I am surprised that my question was received so dismissively.

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #10641 on: January 11, 2023, 11:11:44 PM »
This entire thread is predicated on the most granular loopholes and exploits for gaining these fee credits. I am surprised that my question was received so dismissively.
When your attitude is dismissive of others, that will be how you perceive their responses. In any case, any transaction always goes by post date, and recently this has been specified with every offer explicitly.

Offline aryeh1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10642 on: January 11, 2023, 11:36:04 PM »
For some reason my $15 uber cash credit from amex wasn't used,  but pulled from my regular uber cash balance,  anyone having this issue?

Offline Realshlomo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10643 on: January 12, 2023, 12:37:49 AM »
For some reason my $15 uber cash credit from amex wasn't used,  but pulled from my regular uber cash balance,  anyone having this issue?

Have you added to the balance after you received the $15?
I had a rep once explain that newer funds are used 1st. Can't understand the logic in that but that's what I experienced with some credits.

Offline Her439

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10644 on: January 12, 2023, 10:05:30 AM »
Can I get "uber one membership" free with Platinum Personal? 

Offline nosson2

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10645 on: January 12, 2023, 10:36:18 AM »
In any case, any transaction always goes by post date, and recently this has been specified with every offer explicitly.

I read the T&C's for the airline credit, and this is nowhere specified. Happy to be enlightened otherwise.

Offline nosson2

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10646 on: January 12, 2023, 01:07:32 PM »
Here are the terms as of today. You will notice that the only limiting language vis-a-vis transaction dates is "per calendar year," which necessarily implies that the benefit applies to charges incurred from January 1 through December 31 of any given year.

$200 Airline Fee Credit
Benefit is available to Consumer and Corporate Platinum Card Members only. To receive statement credits of up to $200 per calendar year for incidental airline fees charged to the eligible Card, Card Member must select one qualifying airline through their American Express Online Account or the link for their Card below:

• American Express Platinum Card®: https://global.americanexpress.com/card-benefits/enroll/airline-fee-credit/platinum
   • Goldman Sachs Platinum Card®: https://global.americanexpress.com/card-benefits/enroll/airline-fee-credit/goldman-platinum-card
   • Morgan Stanley Platinum Card®: https://global.americanexpress.com/card-benefits/enroll/airline-fee-credit/morgan-stanley-platinum-card
   • American Express Platinum Card® for Schwab: https://global.americanexpress.com/card-benefits/enroll/airline-fee-credit/schwab-platinum-card
   • American Express Corporate Platinum Card®: https://global.americanexpress.com/card-benefits/enroll/airline-fee-credit/corporate-platinum

Qualifying airlines include Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Spirit Airlines, Southwest Airlines, and United Airlines. Only the Basic Card Member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card Account can select the qualifying airline. Card Members who have not chosen one qualifying airline will be able to do so at any time. Card Members who have already selected one qualifying airline will be able to change their choice one time each year in January through their American Express Online Account or by calling the number on the back of the Card. Card Members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline. Statement Credits: Incidental airline fees must be charged to the Card Member on the eligible Card Account for the benefit to apply. Incidental airline fees charged by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the eligible Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $200 per calendar year in statement credits across all Cards on the Account. Incidental airline fees must be separate charges from airline ticket charges. Fees not charged by the Card Member’s selected airline (e.g. wireless internet and fees incurred with airline alliance partners) do not qualify for statement credits. Incidental airline fees charged prior to selection of a qualifying airline are not eligible for statement credits. Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees. The airline must submit the charge under the appropriate merchant code, industry code, or required service or product identifier for the charge to be recognized as an incidental air travel fee. Please allow 6-8 weeks after the qualifying incidental air travel fee is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. We rely on airlines to submit the correct information on airline transactions, so please call the number on the back of the Card if statement credits have not posted after 8 weeks from the date of purchase. Card Members remain responsible for timely payment of all charges. To be eligible for this benefit, Card Account(s) must be not canceled and not past due at the time of statement credit fulfillment.

Offline theyankel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10647 on: January 12, 2023, 05:04:05 PM »
Thanks. It really seems like Amex pulled a dirty trick on me, and I figured that members of this forum would have some advice about remedies for dealing with that.
amex is out to get YOU specifically.

Offline nosson2

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10648 on: January 12, 2023, 05:35:38 PM »
I'm happy to have a constructive conversation on here. I'm not sure why the ad hominem persists.

Offline dm123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10649 on: January 12, 2023, 06:33:31 PM »
Reading around on the forums it seems that I'm being given "special" treatment.
Amex always goes by posting date for all their benefits and offers. Not sure where you see on here otherwise

Online Euclid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10650 on: January 12, 2023, 06:36:54 PM »
I'm not sure why the ad hominem persists.
Such a friendly welcome.
It started with this snide remark.

To answer your actual question, don't waste your time with it*. I feel bad that you weren't aware of it, but it's how Amex has always operated wrt their benefits and offers; you're trying to fight city hall.

*I mean you could keep HUCA until you find a sympathetic CS agent, but I'd put the odds of that happening at very slim.

Offline nosson2

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10651 on: January 12, 2023, 07:53:03 PM »
My (admittedly) snide remark was precipitated by a member of the forum telling me to read the T&C's again, rather than pointing to the language in the T&C's that give Amex cover for its practice of charging by date of posting. I posted the language above regarding the flight credits, and there is every indication that it goes by transactions conducted within any given calendar year.

I understand the sentiment that "this is the way Amex has always done it", but that's not a claim that withstands even the simplest legal scrutiny. 

I appreciate everyone's help on here, and I apologize if my comments above were hurtful.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #10652 on: January 12, 2023, 08:01:57 PM »
My (admittedly) snide remark was precipitated by a member of the forum telling me to read the T&C's again, rather than pointing to the language in the T&C's that give Amex cover for its practice of charging by date of posting.
Huh? Why do I need to show you that airline credits work differently than every other transaction and should go by the “pending” date? As always transaction date means the day the transaction was submitted to AmEx. Nowhere on the forums or in the T&C did you see otherwise and you should stop doubling down on your mistake.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline nosson2

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10653 on: January 12, 2023, 08:56:21 PM »
I asked for help. You said I misread the T&C, but at the same time you attack me for asking where the T&Cs state what you say they do.

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #10654 on: January 12, 2023, 11:29:18 PM »
This back and forth kindergarten bickering is pathetic and doesn't add anything useful to the forum.

Offline theyankel

• View Profile
« Reply #10655 on: January 12, 2023, 11:36:45 PM »
we were all noobies at one point or another. maybe @nosson2 is looking for validation but in any case, maybe sometimes those of us with 1000+ posts or 3000+ or even 6000+ need to account that the commenter has less than 20 and was seeking actual guidance for what he might have thought to be the actual t&c

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #10656 on: January 13, 2023, 08:12:43 AM »
I asked for help. You said I misread the T&C, but at the same time you attack me for asking where the T&Cs state what you say they do.
Nobody attacked you. Please stop.
we were all noobies at one point or another. maybe @nosson2 is looking for validation but in any case, maybe sometimes those of us with 1000+ posts or 3000+ or even 6000+ need to account that the commenter has less than 20 and was seeking actual guidance for what he might have thought to be the actual t&c
I said to reread the T&C and won’t apologize for that. You’re welcome to validate whoever you’d like but please take it out of this thread. Time to move along.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 08:18:04 AM by S209 »

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #10657 on: January 13, 2023, 08:15:15 AM »
Back OT: Has anyone found a useful way to cash out the Equinox credit?

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #10658 on: January 13, 2023, 08:29:23 AM »
@nosson2 this might help. As stated, Amex will go by the post date. The post date will be different for each merchant. I did a southwest purchase on 29th early in the day. It showed as a temp purchase on the 29th but also finalized as a purchase date of the 29th.

Advice going forward would be to not wait until the last minute.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half
Dow Jones Industrial Average Tops 40000 for the First Time

Offline Iz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10659 on: January 13, 2023, 08:38:36 AM »
When did you book? Taking about 6 days it seems.
Jan. 7
Credits posted.
Strange thing, though: On some accounts it says Amex Airline Fee Reimbursement, and on others it says Southwest...