Topic Wiki

Author Topic: Why is there so much lashon hora on here about restaurants (and other things)  (Read 2406 times)

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Who's using the word 'exorbitant'? The reviewer? I already said you can publicize prices but not comment on them.
If most people would consider it exorbitant, and you post a pic of the price, there shouldn’t be an issue using that word.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
I fail to understand. Wonderful information that can damage someone is ossur to say or to hear. You're saying it is l'toeles? If so, why can someone who will use it to cause damage believe it?
The person listening will not, and can not, use it to cause damage. However if it is spread farther it is potentially damaging.

Offline mevinyavin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
The person listening will not, and can not, use it to cause damage. However if it is spread farther it is potentially damaging.
And it is ossur to spread it. Okay, so you want to call that LH?
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
If most people would consider it exorbitant, and you post a pic of the price, there shouldn’t be an issue using that word.
When speaking LH ltoeles you are supposed to say as little as possible about the negatives.
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline jye

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Who's using the word 'exorbitant'? The reviewer? I already said you can publicize prices but not comment on them. How do you know that the ambience, service, etc are not worth the price of the water?
(Just playing devil's advocate here to make my point. I'm not saying the water is not expensive, I'm saying that you still can't believe it.)
I've seen horrible pics of good food and great pics of terrible food. Have you?
One of the baalei mussar said that a krume kup was given to us in order to be dan lekaf zechus. Again, limeichash miboi is fine. But don't believe it.
A pic of a receipt with say, $88 for for glasses of water circled is not a gray area. It is objectively something negative no matter the ambiance. And it is pretty much guaranteed to be believed because of how it was presented. Whether the reviewer incudes the word exorbitant or not he has effectively said as much by posting.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
And it is ossur to spread it. Okay, so you want to call that LH?
Seems to be in that category.
It’s similar to hearing about a far flung restaurant where you will never end up at serving mediocre food.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
When speaking LH ltoeles you are supposed to say as little as possible about the negatives.
You are not supposed to exaggerate the facts. This would not fall into that category.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
A pic of a receipt with say, $88 for for glasses of water circled is not a gray area. It is objectively something negative no matter the ambiance. And it is pretty much guaranteed to be believed because of how it was presented. Whether the reviewer incudes the word exorbitant or not he has effectively said as much by posting.
Conceded, in an example such as this. But you still shouldn't say 'exorbitant.'

You are not supposed to exaggerate the facts. This would not fall into that category.
Use expensive, not exorbitant.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
Conceded, in an example such as this. But you still shouldn't say 'exorbitant.'
Use expensive, not exorbitant.
Is it mutar or assur?

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
Is it mutar or assur?
Probably still muttar even though it will be believed. Still should try not to believe it.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
Still should try not to believe it.
Not believe the receipt?

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
If someone is showed conclusive video evidence of someone doing something wrong, is he required to “not believe it”?

Offline shulem92

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
If someone is showed conclusive video evidence of someone doing something wrong, is he required to “not believe it”?
yes. Maybe there is a gun off screen? How are you supposed to know the whole picture without being there?

Offline shulem92

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Not believe the receipt?
maybe they asked for a receipt to be printed as a joke? Again, you don’t know the whole story. I know it sounds outlandish, but not being mekabel LH always requires you to stretch your imagination…

Offline jye

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
maybe they asked for a receipt to be printed as a joke? Again, you don’t know the whole story. I know it sounds outlandish, but not being mekabel LH always requires you to stretch your imagination…
Because a person has a chezkas kashrus as in the Gemaras story of the laborer in the Galil that the Halacha is based on. Why should this apply to a restaurant charging an exorbitant price for water which is not סותר their chezkas kashrus. What requires me to assume the 1% extremely unlikely scenario rather than the 99%?

Online Gvann

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Pesach
yes. Maybe there is a gun off screen? How are you supposed to know the whole picture without being there?

I do not know the accuracy of this. I just learned the mishna in avos this week. dan lchaf zechus is for a muchzak kosher, but the Ra"V or Ty"T (dont remember exactly) said you do not have to see someone who's clearly doing something wrong with little evidence to justify it and assume the best.

dan lchaf zechus doesnt come at the chov of the person on the other end as far as I know

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
One of the baalei mussar said that a krume kup was given to us in order to be dan lekaf zechus. Again, limeichash miboi is fine. But don't believe it.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
dan lchaf zechus doesnt come at the chov of the person on the other end as far as I know
Slow down. Just because I don't believe one side doesn't mean I believe the other side. I believe neither side.

Online Gvann

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Pesach
Slow down. Just because I don't believe one side doesn't mean I believe the other side. I believe neither side.

yeah but the metzias is that someone is getting charged $88 dollars for water and the person paying has a reasonable taiina that this is not correct to do (if i understood this all correctly)

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
in 2024 that's a lot more plausible
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.