Topic Wiki

Please, when posting a link to a laptop listing, make sure to include the price at time of posting. It helps.
Requesting help with a purchase? Please post here: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=135662.msg2794782#msg2794782

Dell:
Precision - Very powerful desktop replacements - great warranty, ridiculously expensive - Usually overpriced or overkill

Latitude - Good Laptops - Great warranty! Highly recommended for any Business environment - Sometimes expensive.

Vostro  - Lower end Business Machines - Better Priced - still durable - Usually 1 Year warranty.

XPS - The nicer looking dell machines, Some are better than others...

Inspiron - YMMV Every model is different

(Plain) Insprion Series - Dells lowest end laptop
(R) Insprion Series - Perfect Home use, dependable, decent build quality, recommended
(Z) Insprion Series - A little slimmer than the R series, Some are Ultrabooks (Very often don't include Optical Drives)

HP:

Spectre - Top of the line personal (dragonfly is the top of the line for business) - lightest laptops, and beautiful!

Pavilion - YMMV (Some better than others)

Probook - Stable durable business systems - Usually a little on the heavy side.

Elitebook - Business Higher end systems, usually pretty expensive

ENVY - Used to be the HP sleek and nicer systems, they pretty much replaced most of the standard pavilions now and call them either ENVY or sleekbooks

Sleekbook - like it sounds slimmer line of laptops

Lenovo:

Thinkpad Series - Very Dependable Business Machine, Expensive (Not Pretty but Durable)

IdeaPad Series -

S Series
U Series - Usually the slimmer line Ultrabooks, Doesn't always include DVD Drive
Y Series - Nice machines with good specs and features (Cool Backlit Keyboards)
Z Series - Step up from the G Series, all around decent build, priced nicely, great home use laptop
G Series - Lower end

Samsung:

Series 3
Series 5
Series 7
Series 9 - The nicest, sleekest looking laptops I've seen in a long time - Can pass for a Macbook!!

HT: Dh Data Recovery & Name Changed

A great post by caliheat:
I believe that there are many factors when deciding what laptop to purchase.
1) What is your intended use and necessary features. e.g. light use vs. heavy use & optical drive, computer speed etc.
2) As mentioned several times in this thread, RAM itself is very easy to upgrade after you purchase.
3) Brand - IMHO this is pretty important as well - which do your prefer vs. which brand do people recommend.
4) Price - you should decide a price range that best suits your needs.
5) Operating System - Many people like myself prefer Windows 7 vs. 8.1, so this would be another consideration.
6) Warranty - does it include 1 year or more, cost for extending warranty.
7) Detailed Specs:
  Processor  - model and speed i3, i5, & i7 2.0 Ghz, 3.0 Ghz etc.
  RAM - This IMHO should be minimum 8GB, especially if running 8.1, however can be added easily.
  Hard Drive - SATA vs. SSD, the latter being much faster. SATA itself offers 5400 RPM vs. 7200 RPM again, the latter being faster.
  Screen Size - this is a personal preference as you can always attach a larger screen in an office setting.
  Battery & Weight - overall laptop weight preference & battery life.
  Graphics - Integrated graphics vs. dedicated graphics, e.g. Intel 4400 vs. Nvidia GTX etc.

In summary, you have to decide what are you priorities, what can be upgraded and what you are flexible on.

Excellent article about the differences between the Intel processor suffixes.

Excellent "Laptop Buying Guide" by @dailykasha, written for Black Friday 2021, updated for holidays 2023

Author Topic: Laptop Deals Master Thread  (Read 3387218 times)

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
Re: Laptop Deals Master Thread
« Reply #14320 on: January 18, 2024, 08:43:22 AM »
Absolutely.
Technically you can get the 8gb version and pay $40 for two new 8gb sticks (eg, https://a.co/d/aaCK2ZD) but I don't think the savings over getting it from hp is worth it for the hassle and possibly voiding the warranty.

4% back at the chasback portals, and 8% citi merchant offer.
Even I would.
Agav, I'm sure you refer to voiding the warranty because you cracked something getting in. It has been illegal to void the warranty for doing upgrades for some time now, but they can get you on technicalities such as this.
Thanks! And is it a good deal? (This is for a friend, not super tech savvy and would definitely pay a few more dollars to have the extra RAM come installed.)

Is HP's website a good place to purchase from? In terms of returns if it's a dud or something?

TIA
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #14321 on: January 18, 2024, 08:48:18 AM »
Thanks! And is it a good deal? (This is for a friend, not super tech savvy and would definitely pay a few more dollars to have the extra RAM come installed.)

Is HP's website a good place to purchase from? In terms of returns if it's a dud or something?

TIA
Regular price, more or less.
HP's website often has the best price when you need to customize, though they are notorious for shipping out slowly. Can't imagine customer service is worse but have no personal experience.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #14322 on: January 18, 2024, 11:30:47 AM »
Latest Swift Go 14, 2.8K OLED screen, Evo Edition. Core Ultra 5, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD. $850.
Acer Swift Go 14 Intel Evo Thin & Light Laptop | 14" OLED 2880 x 1800 90Hz Display | Unlock AI Experiences | Intel Core Ultra 5 Processor 125H | Intel ARC | 16GB LPDDR5X | 512GB SSD | SFG14-72-53BP ($849.99)

Also Acer
https://store.acer.com/en-us/swift-go-14-laptop-sfg14-72-53bp
(But use Amazon for Dan's commission unless it goes out of stock)

Review here has a better processor (CU 7) but worse screen (1080p IPS): https://www.pcworld.com/article/2171363/acer-swift-go-14-review-3.html
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline searchingFire

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14323 on: January 18, 2024, 02:50:51 PM »
Ideapad 1 15.6" Laptop - Ryzen 7 5700U with 16GB Memory - 512GB SSD - Touchscreen - $430

If you need the specs and can do with this basic plastic machine.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-ideapad-1-15-6-laptop-ryzen-7-5700u-with-16gb-memory-amd-radeon-graphics-512gb-ssd-cloud-gray/6555683.p?skuId=6555683

That CPU is really old and dated right now. I'm looking for something more recent to justify the price.

Hinge issue is fake news or at least overblown IMHO. Maybe on the flex 5 models, but not the yoga. My lenovo flex is 3.5 years old, dropped and dented a few times, hinges are fine. I haven't personally seen any lenovos with hinge issues, and  I have around 8 friends with lenovo 2in1s.

If you're worried about the longevity of 2in1s in general, get the slim 5 Mevinyavin posted.

Agav the yoga looks to be limited stock, maybe only store pickup.

The hinge issue on the Yoga is real. I researched several sites about this and they even have some kind of class action going on. The yoga is known for having weaker hinges due to the 2 in 1 design compared to other models. I don't need the 2 in 1 so I don't see why take the unnecessary risk. I also have to say that i open and close my laptop quite a lot so the lenovo Yoga may not hold up to that. I had an Inspiron and it broke because of the hinge, I had it for less than a year. That is why I'm trying to avoid these models. The 5000 series CPU on lenovo is also older now, really would love something recent.

Again, thank you everyone for the help. To reiterate, I'm looking for something 15"+, recent-ish CPU later than 2022, 16 gb ram installed, and (preferrably) 512 gb ssd, and something similar to this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-vivobook-16-m1605-16-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-with-16gb-memory-1-tb-ssd-indie-black/6542092.p?skuId=6542092&ref=NS&loc=101

I would've got that one but there's not even a deal for it

Or maybe that model will come on sale eventually given the new Ryzens are about to drop?

Anyone have anymore ideas? Thank you!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 02:57:17 PM by searchingFire »

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14324 on: January 19, 2024, 12:37:22 AM »
Looking for a 14 inch midranger.
Im seeing these two for $600. they both seem decent laptops, but possibly a little overpriced for the specs. Anyone have any input on acer swift 3 vs hp pavilion plus?

https://store.acer.com/en-us/swift-3-laptop-sf314-512-78jg
Acer swift 3 14. i7-1260P, 16 GB 4266 MHz LPDDR4X 512 GB SSD. 59whr battery. 2.76lbs

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-pavilion-plus-laptop-14-ew0010nr
Hp pavilion plus 14. i5-1335U 16GB 5200 MHz LPDDR5X 512GB SSD. 68whr battery. 3.19/3.04lbs

Should I wait for a lenovo yoga 7 to go back to that price?

And here it is. TYH
Only available via bestbuy pickup though

Lenovo Yoga 71 14"  i5-1335U 16GB LPDDR5-5200 512gb. 71whr battery. 3.42 lbs
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/yoga/yoga-2-in-1-series/yoga-7i-gen-8-(14-inch-intel)/82yl0002us

Seems heavier than you'd expect. If 2in1 isn't what you want, the swift is probably marginally better than the pavilion plus. Maybe

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14325 on: January 19, 2024, 05:43:42 AM »
That CPU is really old and dated right now. I'm looking for something more recent to justify the price.

The hinge issue on the Yoga is real. I researched several sites about this and they even have some kind of class action going on. The yoga is known for having weaker hinges due to the 2 in 1 design compared to other models. I don't need the 2 in 1 so I don't see why take the unnecessary risk. I also have to say that i open and close my laptop quite a lot so the lenovo Yoga may not hold up to that. I had an Inspiron and it broke because of the hinge, I had it for less than a year. That is why I'm trying to avoid these models. The 5000 series CPU on lenovo is also older now, really would love something recent.

Again, thank you everyone for the help. To reiterate, I'm looking for something 15"+, recent-ish CPU later than 2022, 16 gb ram installed, and (preferrably) 512 gb ssd, and something similar to this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-vivobook-16-m1605-16-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-with-16gb-memory-1-tb-ssd-indie-black/6542092.p?skuId=6542092&ref=NS&loc=101

I would've got that one but there's not even a deal for it

Or maybe that model will come on sale eventually given the new Ryzens are about to drop?

Anyone have anymore ideas? Thank you!
No time to pick this post apart, maybe after Shabbos, but
7730U = 5700U
Just sayin.  ;)

Offline searchingFire

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14326 on: January 19, 2024, 08:00:44 PM »
No time to pick this post apart, maybe after Shabbos, but
7730U = 5700U
Just sayin.  ;)
Is it just branding or does 7730U really have no new features or improvements over 5700U? I find that hard to believe because 7730U was released in 2023. 5700U seems to be released 3 years ago. Can you tell me the reason you say it is equivalent? I imagine that new hardware gets more support and maintenance since it's a recent release? Thanks!

Offline etech0

• View Profile

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14328 on: January 21, 2024, 04:06:31 AM »
Is it just branding or does 7730U really have no new features or improvements over 5700U? I find that hard to believe because 7730U was released in 2023. 5700U seems to be released 3 years ago. Can you tell me the reason you say it is equivalent? I imagine that new hardware gets more support and maintenance since it's a recent release? Thanks!
Short answers only today... Maybe when the dust settles on my life.
No new features? Not exactly. It was updated with support for USB 4.0 (but this model doesn't have) and DDR5 RAM (ditto).
https://uk.pcmag.com/processors/142496/want-to-grok-amds-next-gen-ryzen-laptop-cpus-youll-need-a-decoder-wheel
The 3 in the processor means Zen 3 processor - AKA the 5000 series. Sure, it probably has a (small) clock bump, but in real life that means nothing.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14329 on: January 21, 2024, 04:07:21 AM »
Does the fact that it's an Envy make it worth $130 more than this?
https://www.costco.com/hp-17.3%22-touchscreen-laptop---amd-ryzen-5-7530u---windows-11.product.4000156739.html
Short answers only today... Maybe when the dust settles on my life.
Resounding yes IMHO.

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #14330 on: January 21, 2024, 12:43:40 PM »
Resounding yes IMHO.
Thanks!
And... shoot. The $400 discount is over. Price starting at $1,049.99 now

Offline etech0

• View Profile

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14332 on: January 22, 2024, 09:17:29 AM »
Thoughts on refurbished from walmart?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Restored-HP-Envy-17-cw0023dx-17-3-FHD-Touchscreen-Laptop-Intel-Core-i7-13700H-2-4GHz-16GB-RAM-1TB-SSD-WIFI-BT-Windows-11-Home-Refurbished/5016130080?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=5812
List of places I would buy refurb:
-The manufacturer
-B&H (Open box)
-Best Buy (Open box or Geek Squad refurb if price is right)

So no, not from a random reseller on Walmart.

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #14333 on: January 22, 2024, 10:32:00 AM »
List of places I would buy refurb:
-The manufacturer
-B&H (Open box)
-Best Buy (Open box or Geek Squad refurb if price is right)

So no, not from a random reseller on Walmart.
Thanks!

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14334 on: January 22, 2024, 01:47:42 PM »

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• View Profile
« Reply #14335 on: January 22, 2024, 10:49:14 PM »
And here it is. TYH
Only available via bestbuy pickup though

Lenovo Yoga 71 14"  i5-1335U 16GB LPDDR5-5200 512gb. 71whr battery. 3.42 lbs
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/yoga/yoga-2-in-1-series/yoga-7i-gen-8-(14-inch-intel)/82yl0002us

Seems heavier than you'd expect. If 2in1 isn't what you want, the swift is probably marginally better than the pavilion plus. Maybe

No longer available through lenovo, but now $550 though bb directly
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-yoga-7i-2-in-1-14-2-2k-laptop-intel-evo-platform-intel-core-i5-1335u-with-16gb-memory-512gb-ssd-storm-grey/6551265.p?skuId=6551265

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14336 on: January 23, 2024, 12:54:50 AM »

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• View Profile
« Reply #14337 on: January 23, 2024, 01:50:29 AM »
The X1 Yoga above is a better deal unless you need the high-res screen. IMHO.
Interesting. I get that the thinkpad x1 line is better than yoga 7. But is it worth $138 more for a refurbished model?

If you have a link to full specs please share

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14338 on: January 23, 2024, 04:33:51 AM »
Interesting. I get that the thinkpad x1 line is better than yoga 7. But is it worth $138 more for a refurbished model?

If you have a link to full specs please share
Okay, now I really know my head is flying. I didn't see it was refurb...  :-[ No, it is not better. At least I don't think so, even from the manufacturer.

Offline cozmohoot

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14339 on: January 23, 2024, 06:46:46 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/295449125930 Also see this, a probook at $445, but the 250 nit screen and 42whr battery are a turn off. Also I believe this listing used to be a refurbished one....
I would hope this isn't a refurb as they are a reputable seller.