Topic Wiki

Please, when posting a link to a laptop listing, make sure to include the price at time of posting. It helps.
Requesting help with a purchase? Please post here: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=135662.msg2794782#msg2794782

Dell:
Precision - Very powerful desktop replacements - great warranty, ridiculously expensive - Usually overpriced or overkill

Latitude - Good Laptops - Great warranty! Highly recommended for any Business environment - Sometimes expensive.

Vostro  - Lower end Business Machines - Better Priced - still durable - Usually 1 Year warranty.

XPS - The nicer looking dell machines, Some are better than others...

Inspiron - YMMV Every model is different

(Plain) Insprion Series - Dells lowest end laptop
(R) Insprion Series - Perfect Home use, dependable, decent build quality, recommended
(Z) Insprion Series - A little slimmer than the R series, Some are Ultrabooks (Very often don't include Optical Drives)

HP:

Spectre - Top of the line personal (dragonfly is the top of the line for business) - lightest laptops, and beautiful!

Pavilion - YMMV (Some better than others)

Probook - Stable durable business systems - Usually a little on the heavy side.

Elitebook - Business Higher end systems, usually pretty expensive

ENVY - Used to be the HP sleek and nicer systems, they pretty much replaced most of the standard pavilions now and call them either ENVY or sleekbooks

Sleekbook - like it sounds slimmer line of laptops

Lenovo:

Thinkpad Series - Very Dependable Business Machine, Expensive (Not Pretty but Durable)

IdeaPad Series -

S Series
U Series - Usually the slimmer line Ultrabooks, Doesn't always include DVD Drive
Y Series - Nice machines with good specs and features (Cool Backlit Keyboards)
Z Series - Step up from the G Series, all around decent build, priced nicely, great home use laptop
G Series - Lower end

Samsung:

Series 3
Series 5
Series 7
Series 9 - The nicest, sleekest looking laptops I've seen in a long time - Can pass for a Macbook!!

HT: Dh Data Recovery & Name Changed

A great post by caliheat:
I believe that there are many factors when deciding what laptop to purchase.
1) What is your intended use and necessary features. e.g. light use vs. heavy use & optical drive, computer speed etc.
2) As mentioned several times in this thread, RAM itself is very easy to upgrade after you purchase.
3) Brand - IMHO this is pretty important as well - which do your prefer vs. which brand do people recommend.
4) Price - you should decide a price range that best suits your needs.
5) Operating System - Many people like myself prefer Windows 7 vs. 8.1, so this would be another consideration.
6) Warranty - does it include 1 year or more, cost for extending warranty.
7) Detailed Specs:
  Processor  - model and speed i3, i5, & i7 2.0 Ghz, 3.0 Ghz etc.
  RAM - This IMHO should be minimum 8GB, especially if running 8.1, however can be added easily.
  Hard Drive - SATA vs. SSD, the latter being much faster. SATA itself offers 5400 RPM vs. 7200 RPM again, the latter being faster.
  Screen Size - this is a personal preference as you can always attach a larger screen in an office setting.
  Battery & Weight - overall laptop weight preference & battery life.
  Graphics - Integrated graphics vs. dedicated graphics, e.g. Intel 4400 vs. Nvidia GTX etc.

In summary, you have to decide what are you priorities, what can be upgraded and what you are flexible on.

Excellent article about the differences between the Intel processor suffixes.

Excellent "Laptop Buying Guide" by @dailykasha, written for Black Friday 2021, updated for holidays 2023

Author Topic: Laptop Deals Master Thread  (Read 3387609 times)

Offline Shmiel s

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Offline searchingFire

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop Deals Master Thread
« Reply #14361 on: January 26, 2024, 01:17:28 PM »
I have a credit card $500 spending offer where I get $200 back.

What is a good laptop that I can buy with this in mind???

These are 2 laptops that I like so far:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-vivobook-16-m1605-16-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-with-16gb-memory-1-tb-ssd-indie-black/6542092.p?skuId=6542092&ref=NS&loc=101

And this one:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-vivobook-16-laptop-amd-ryzen-9-7940hs-with-16gb-ram-1tb-ssd-cool-silver/6565526.p?skuId=6565526

Is this a bad one to get since it's not on sale:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-vivobook-16-laptop-amd-ryzen-9-7940hs-with-16gb-ram-1tb-ssd-cool-silver/6565526.p?skuId=6565526

After taxes and fees as well as the credit card offer, it is $675.

It has Ryzen 9 780M graphics chip inside, tough military standard material, and also allows you to manually adjust fan settings to reduce noise.

Any ideas on this? I have no idea if it has metal chasis as well since it looks silver.

Can anyone tell me a good deal with this credit card offer in mind and what you think of my current findings???

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14362 on: January 27, 2024, 10:25:26 PM »
I have a credit card $500 spending offer where I get $200 back.

1) You mean like a credit card sign up bonus? personally I wouldn't put it in my cheshbon, I spend more than $500 on my credit cards in 3 months, so the $200 I'd treat as extra cash, not as like a giftcard to splurge on something with. So it wouldn't affect my budget for a new laptop and how much I view it as costing. That said, each to their own, and treat it however you'd like.

2) After all that, what's your budget, screen size preference, and what will you use it for? Besides the regular stuff, any photo or video editing?

3) Between the two you sent (not sure if you meant to post three) the one with Ryzen 9 is worth $100 more (Much more powerful processor, usbc/thunderbolt, says 300 nits, larger battery, faster ram, etc) the Ryzen 7 though is much more power efficient, so it might be worth thinking if you need that extra power.
FYI, the specs on the more expensive one say the body is aluminum, though I have no idea what "tough military standard material" means practically. The army has specific standards for ziploc bags, are these laptops made from that material? it's military grade.

But generally speaking, I'd think twice about dropping that much money on a Vivobook, unless you get some firsthand reviews from friends. In my friend group there aren't many viviobooks, of the three, mine died within two years, one is still going after 6 years, and one was destroyed by external forces. (not to be confused with zenbook)
for 7/8 hundred dollars you can get a Gram, Yoga, Envy, etc.

All IMHO

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• View Profile
« Reply #14363 on: January 27, 2024, 10:36:48 PM »
3) Between the two you sent (not sure if you meant to post three) the one with Ryzen 9 is worth $100 more (Much more powerful processor, usbc/thunderbolt, says 300 nits, larger battery, faster ram, etc) the Ryzen 7 though is much more power efficient, so it might be worth thinking if you need that extra power.
Truth is, while the specs say no usb c on the cheaper one, the pictures have it. Id go by listed specs over picture.

Seems like there's a basically equivalent one on sale at Walmart for $500
https://www.walmart.com/ip/ASUS-Vivobook-16-PC-Laptop-Intel-Core-i7-1255U-16GB-512GB-Win-11-Home-Black-F1605ZA-WS74/5023779612

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #14364 on: January 28, 2024, 05:13:45 AM »

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-vivobook-16-m1605-16-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-with-16gb-memory-1-tb-ssd-indie-black/6542092.p?skuId=6542092&ref=NS&loc=101

And this one:

These should both be plastic. Pretty sure I have gotten the first one for under $500. They are fundamentally the same build model, as well as the Intel flavor brought by Chuchum Ainer.
If you are in the market for a computer, tell us what you want. If you must buy one of these for basic work, you can get something cheaper, as the advantages of these do not apply for basic work. The 780M in the $800 is wonderful if you want to play basic games but you can do better at $800.
Agav - the Ryzen 7 is Zen 3 (7730U) and the Ryzen 9 is Zen 4 (7740HS and runs at a higher wattage. As Chuchum Ainer mentioned, this means the latter will get less sufficient battery life, and for what?)
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #14365 on: January 28, 2024, 11:44:05 AM »
13" 5000 series Latitude, i5 12th gen, 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD: $600 @ Woot.
https://computers.woot.com/offers/new-dell-latitude-5330-13-business-laptop-1
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14366 on: January 29, 2024, 11:46:30 AM »
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-Ideapad-5-15-6-FHD-IPS-Laptop-AMD-Ryzen-7-5825U-16GB-RAM-512GB-SSD-Abyss-Blue-Windows-11-Home-82SG00BLUS/1147612552?athbdg=L1103&adsRedirect=true

Lenovo Ideapad 5 15.6" Ryzen 7 5825U 16 GB RAM 512GB SSD - $500
Very good price for metal chassis
Still on sale.
Review on Intel version here: https://laptopmedia.com/review/lenovo-ideapad-5-15-2022/
Highlights includes 11.5 hours web battery life and 9.5 hours video (on the Intel version!), and space for a 2.5" drive (for cheap added SSDs, obviously).

Offline AYHG

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14367 on: January 29, 2024, 03:29:24 PM »
Thinkpad e14 Ryzen 7 5700u 8GB upgradable to 24GB, 256GB upgradable, aluminum build for $421

https://www.lenovo.com/us/outletus/en/p/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpade/thinkpad-e14-gen-3-(14%e2%80%9d-amd)/20y7006bca

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline savvydigz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14369 on: January 29, 2024, 08:15:00 PM »
I traded in a mac to Best Buy and have a 525 gc there
If someone can let me know if there's anything they have in mind.
I'm looking for a laptop that's fast, durable, and will last a while, preferably a good battery life.
I use it for work, not very powerful programs just lots off chrome tabs, Excel, QB,ETC,
I would like to buy a good deal, if there aren't any now I can wait.

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• View Profile
« Reply #14370 on: January 29, 2024, 09:17:04 PM »
I traded in a mac to Best Buy and have a 525 gc there
If someone can let me know if there's anything they have in mind.
I'm looking for a laptop that's fast, durable, and will last a while, preferably a good battery life.
I use it for work, not very powerful programs just lots off chrome tabs, Excel, QB,ETC,
I would like to buy a good deal, if there aren't any now I can wait.
Size preference?

Offline savvydigz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14371 on: January 29, 2024, 10:40:17 PM »
15 inch. Can be a bit more or less if it's not the basis for the price.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile

Offline etech0

• View Profile

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• View Profile
« Reply #14374 on: January 30, 2024, 02:37:03 AM »
Is this a good deal?
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-envy-laptop-17t-cr100-173-755c3av-1?jumpid=ma_weekly-deals_product-tile_laptops_20_755c3av-1_hp-envy-laptop-17t-c

Same as the last time you posted it
Any thoughts on this?
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-envy-laptop-17t-cr100-173-755c3av-1?jumpid=ma_weekly-deals_product-tile_laptops_29_755c3av-1_hp-envy-laptop-17t-c

Worth upgrading the ram? $30 to get 12gb and $80 for 16gb...
MY says...
Regular price, more or less.
Does the fact that it's an Envy make it worth $130 more than this?
https://www.costco.com/hp-17.3%22-touchscreen-laptop---amd-ryzen-5-7530u---windows-11.product.4000156739.html
Resounding yes IMHO.
I don't follow prices that closely but I'm still pretty sure the current price ($780 after ram upgrade) is right around what you can expect to pay for a solid/midrange 17 inch.
If its davkeh 17 you'll have to wait for an lg gram or hp envy. And I think the lowest they go is $800

I'm not familiar with other 17 inch options that aren't either really expensive or really plastic.
16 seems to be all the rage recently

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• View Profile
« Reply #14375 on: January 30, 2024, 02:54:07 AM »
https://www.costco.com/.product.4000214181.html

Am I missing something or is this a crazy deal?
$800. Seems it's basically a budget build with extremely strong base specs
https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/msi-modern-15-2023
Screen is an acceptable 300 nits and the battery is not awful.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14376 on: January 30, 2024, 05:55:35 AM »
$800. Seems it's basically a budget build with extremely strong base specs
https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/msi-modern-15-2023
Screen is an acceptable 300 nits and the battery is not awful.
Doubtful that the i9 will perform better than minimum design standards - how good could the cooling be in a computer this cheap? You can save money by getting something cheaper for regular work. If you need that processing power, you need to buy it in a computer designed to run it full-out.
But on the other hand, if you want the computer with an i9 sticker for bragging rights...

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14377 on: January 30, 2024, 06:51:20 AM »
Same as the last time you posted itMY says...Resounding yes IMHO.

I don't follow prices that closely but I'm still pretty sure the current price ($780 after ram upgrade) is right around what you can expect to pay for a solid/midrange 17 inch.
I'm not familiar with other 17 inch options that aren't either really expensive or really plastic.
Coming later today: a 17" laptop roundup. (Hint: not too long)

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #14378 on: January 30, 2024, 08:40:28 AM »
Same as the last time you posted itMY says...Resounding yes IMHO.

Ah, didn't realize it's the same exact one. Thanks!

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14379 on: January 30, 2024, 11:36:15 AM »
17" laptop roundup
$400 - HP generic 17" laptop. Expect plastic, random missing ports, dim screens with low resolution... in short, budget. Comes with 13th gen low-wattage i5, 8GB of RAM, 256GB SSD. You can upgrade it to 16GB for $70. Touch screen for $60. 1080p screen for $40 (non-touch).
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/ConfigureView?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&catEntryId=3074457345620895819&urlLangId=&quantity=1&color=jet%20black

If you think you may up a bunch of those specs, consider this one for $550, which switches to the more efficient Ryzen 5 7530U, a touchscreen, 12GB of RAM, and a TB SSD. Even the warranty is doubled (aka Costco). https://www.costco.com/hp-17.3%22-touchscreen-laptop---amd-ryzen-5-7530u---windows-11.product.4000156739.html

$700: choice of a base-spec Envy 17 (high-wattage i5, 8GB RAM or 16GB for $80 more, 512GB SSD) or a Vivobook 17 (low-wattage Ryzen 7 7730U, 16GB RAM, TB SSD). These should both be metal, but if you are considering the Vivobook, try to research it (ASUS's model numbers have gotten confusing).
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-envy-laptop-17t-cr100-173-755c3av-1#techSpecs
https://www.costco.com/asus-17.3%22-vivobook-laptop---amd-ryzen-7-7730u---1080p---windows-11.product.4000153934.html
Note that the Envy is up to a full pound heavier than the alternatives listed (5.5 lbs versus 4.6-4.7 lbs for the other models listed).

A good sale on the LG Gram 17 gets you a mid-wattage i7, 32GB of RAM and a TB SSD in a sub-3 lbs package for $999. It has good battery life in generic tests and even in real life it is quite decent.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-gram-17-laptop-intel-evo-platform-13th-gen-intel-core-i7-with-32gb-ram-1tb-nvme-ssd-black/6559122.p?skuId=6559122

The same price also gets you a Vivobook with a high-wattage i9 but no one needs that, so...

And that is all there is to see under $1200, folks!  8)