Topic Wiki

Work in progress, please contribute.

Where to buy Waze Only devices:

Prefiltered, no-setup.
These are online retailers, may be better options directly from stores.

Safecell
$162 "Regular"/ $187 "Samsung Better quality. [Inc $15 required activation fee & first month plan]
Says Verizon network, unclear if its unlocked.
Please note: All of our phones are in like new condition or better.

Koshercell.org
Unlocked with different carrier compatibility options.
$194-$275

https://ezcellusa.com/collections/kosher-waze

=================

Mehadrin GPS

Mehadrin GPS is a Samsung phone what doesn't look like a smartphone (with the case) and includes Waze and a kosher Google maps as well as Android Auto.

Mehadrin Data plan:
No monthly fee: works on roaming with 160 network partners worldwide. In the USA it works on the AT&T network. In Canada on Rogers, Telus, Bell. In Israel on Pelephone. Works on most networks in Europe with excellent coverage. It costs around 35 cents +/- to travel from upstate New York to the city. You need to add $30 in your account as initial credit Every time the balance drops below $5 it will automatically reload for another $30 (if you leave a credit card on file).

Cheapbeep.tech
$309

World Of Communications
 $325

https://theautoways.com/

Author Topic: Waze or GPS only device  (Read 19904 times)

Offline Mikes@Micro

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Waze or GPS only device
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2020, 11:59:53 AM »
I charge for that
Of course. I just wanted to confirm you have an optimized one.
Quote or engagement  equals full throated endorsement and vote!
H/t PinchosL

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2020, 01:52:58 AM »
you dont need service get a device that has GPS, download offline maps, however you wont have traffic, but you'll get directions where you need to go, if you have Wifi at your starting point its even better
Bad advice, pay $10 and get traffic

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2020, 09:40:47 PM »
Bad advice, pay $10 and get traffic
Also in my limited experience if it's not connected to the internet the route calculation time takes forever. And the address lookup isn't great either.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline chbochur

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2021, 02:56:29 AM »
Is there a similar option but includes youtube music/spotify?

Offline MoYS

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2021, 01:07:15 PM »
Is there a similar option but includes youtube music/spotify?
@Kosher_Cellutions has been off for a while, but check out his links like https://www.koshershield.com/ it might have what youre looking for

Offline chbochur

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2021, 04:21:59 PM »
@Kosher_Cellutions has been off for a while, but check out his links like https://www.koshershield.com/ it might have what youre looking for
Interesting and I've seen that.
Question is if it will allow even what they might consider "not kosher" music or some other apps that I may need but aren't stranded for most people

Offline MoYS

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2021, 04:46:14 PM »
Interesting and I've seen that.
Question is if it will allow even what they might consider "not kosher" music or some other apps that I may need but aren't stranded for most people
I thought he would be able to put on whatever apps you wanted, im sure there is some service that lets you put whichever apps you want on.

Offline chbochur

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2021, 05:58:00 PM »
I thought he would be able to put on whatever apps you wanted, im sure there is some service that lets you put whichever apps you want on.
I'll teach out on the website. Thank you

Offline herb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2021, 06:18:39 PM »
I believe safecell in lakewood will do this for you

Offline chbochur

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2021, 06:22:57 PM »
I believe safecell in lakewood will do this for you
Thank you for this as well. I'll look into them but no website makes it harder for those of us who don't frequent lakewood often.

Offline yungermanchik

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2021, 11:39:40 PM »
Am I missing something?

It would seem to me that the simplest option would be to buy an old refurbished unlocked iPhone, put it on a cheap data plan, download the few apps you need and have someone else (that you would feel uncomfortable asking to unlock unless it was really important) put on the parental controls for you.
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline MoYS

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2021, 11:57:41 PM »
Am I missing something?

It would seem to me that the simplest option would be to buy an old refurbished unlocked iPhone, put it on a cheap data plan, download the few apps you need and have someone else (that you would feel uncomfortable asking to unlock unless it was really important) put on the parental controls for you.
Dont, its just not worth it. Most parental control apps are not sufficient in blocking all content, they do not come to the level of really being filtered, there are loopholes etc.
And another point that im sure not all will agree with, but, at the end of the day its still a smartphone. The idea to get a kosher phone with only the apps needed is that its not a smartphone, as opposed to a smartphone with a filter.

Offline yungermanchik

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2021, 12:09:26 AM »
Dont, its just not worth it. Most parental control apps are not sufficient in blocking all content, they do not come to the level of really being filtered, there are loopholes etc.
And another point that im sure not all will agree with, but, at the end of the day its still a smartphone. The idea to get a kosher phone with only the apps needed is that its not a smartphone, as opposed to a smartphone with a filter.
All these flip phones with any app you want are also smartphones that happen to flip.
I have an Orbic basic flip phone. It has it's annoying issues but I can deal with it.

Back to my original point, for someone who wants a waze or waze+google maps phone, from what I've been told, iPhone allows you to block everything with their parental controls. So, you can't get any more apps or get on the internet itself just use the apps that are there already.

I may be wrong. I don't know. I have never owned a smartphone. This is all heresay.
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline MoYS

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2021, 12:23:01 AM »
All these flip phones with any app you want are also smartphones that happen to flip.
Its true with some of them the OS can support apps, but to call them smartphones is simply not true from two angles.
First the technical aspect - they do not have the capability to run apps like a smartphone. (there are two 'dangers' of technology 1: doing the wrong thing 2: doing the right thing. there are many people who dont have smartphones purely because (the gedolim say so, and) because of the distraction and all the rest of it. A flip phone can never reach that level of distraction/dependency etc. it simply isnt able.)
 Second - the hashkafa aspect. Its hard to put in words for those who dont live in the flip-phone circles, but there is a very real difference between having a smartphone with a filter and having a flip phone with a filter
[Im sure you understand]
I have never owned a smartphone.

Back to my original point, for someone who wants a waze or waze+google maps phone, from what I've been told, iPhone allows you to block everything with their parental controls. So, you can't get any more apps or get on the internet itself just use the apps that are there already.
I dont know about iphones, but i have seen it done on androids and the level of kashrus was.... lacking. And yes it was done smartly with all of the aspects thought to be taken care of, but there are always loopholes.

I am not trying to give a shmuz, i just felt the need to raise awareness that this is really not a good idea. Its possible iphones are different

Offline chbochur

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2021, 02:07:14 AM »
Its true with some of them the OS can support apps, but to call them smartphones is simply not true from two angles.
First the technical aspect - they do not have the capability to run apps like a smartphone. (there are two 'dangers' of technology 1: doing the wrong thing 2: doing the right thing. there are many people who dont have smartphones purely because (the gedolim say so, and) because of the distraction and all the rest of it. A flip phone can never reach that level of distraction/dependency etc. it simply isnt able.)
 Second - the hashkafa aspect. Its hard to put in words for those who dont live in the flip-phone circles, but there is a very real difference between having a smartphone with a filter and having a flip phone with a filter
[Im sure you understand]  I dont know about iphones, but i have seen it done on androids and the level of kashrus was.... lacking. And yes it was done smartly with all of the aspects thought to be taken care of, but there are always loopholes.

I am not trying to give a shmuz, i just felt the need to raise awareness that this is really not a good idea. Its possible iphones are different
I think you're very right.
As of right now I have a smartphone with a filter so it's not the filth I'm trying to get rid of.
I'm trying to get off of smartphones altogether. I feel like I don't need it and my life will be so much richer without it. On the other hand I still do need for my car basics like a proper gps music and a few other apps.
So I was thinking of using my old galaxy as this phone and leaving it in my car (while praying it doesn't get stolen) and have the Alcatel go flip 3 as my main phone. It still technically has a browser WhatsApp youtube Gmail... It's just not very convenient to use them.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2021, 05:42:47 AM »
Netspark allows you to customize however you want
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline MoYS

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2021, 09:17:39 AM »
I think you're very right.
As of right now I have a smartphone with a filter so it's not the filth I'm trying to get rid of.
I'm trying to get off of smartphones altogether. I feel like I don't need it and my life will be so much richer without it.
Wow. Im very impressed, very few people 'downgrade'. Hatzlacha.

Offline chbochur

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2021, 12:15:00 PM »
Wow. Im very impressed, very few people 'downgrade'. Hatzlacha.
I want to at least try it...

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2021, 12:17:39 PM »
I want to at least try it...
i did it similar to what ou are discussing and keep my smartphone in the office other than when I specifically need it. it is one of the best moves I ever made.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline chbochur

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2021, 12:19:12 PM »
i did it similar to what ou are discussing and keep my smartphone in the office other than when I specifically need it. it is one of the best moves I ever made.
So you in the office now? :)