Author Topic: How to properly handle real estate showing ?  (Read 2247 times)

Offline peace123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
How to properly handle real estate showing ?
« on: March 06, 2022, 04:58:37 PM »
I have a condo on listing . I haven’t moved out but have moved out most of my stuffs out in a public storage space . I do have an agent . When I get showing request text . I answered YEs and it is confirmed but then I have people that just don’t show up or cancel 5 mins before showing time etc . I had one cancelled 5 mins before showing time and the same guy rescheduled earlier . Today I had showing confirmed at 2 but the buyer’s  agent  comes at 1 alone with the key from the  lockbox outside . I asked him who he is , no reply and I looked out of the window , asked him if he is the agent and he has buyers. Told me he will come back with his clients .  Well he  never showed up with his clients at all even after 3 pm. No cancellation either . It takes me lots of time to  reorganize things and hide whatever cluster I have . How do I prevent this? So damn inconvenient! I feel like pull my listing off but then I want to sell it first .
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 05:01:43 PM by peace123 »

Offline whacked1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: How to properly handle real estate showing ?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 05:07:37 PM »
If you want your condo to sell, you need to do whatever you can to have it show in the best light. If you have an agent on it, make open house on a weekend.
You shouldnt be there at the open house (or showings for that matter, that's why you have an agent). Make sure before the open house you cleaned the house and put everything away nicely.
Homes (and condos) show better when occupied (unless occupant is messy).

If you think of it in dollars term, you cleaning a little bit extra can be the factor that makes someone decide to offer you plus/minus a few thousand dollars. A worthy investment

Offline peace123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 05:11:08 PM »
If you want your condo to sell, you need to do whatever you can to have it show in the best light. If you have an agent on it, make open house on a weekend.
You shouldnt be there at the open house (or showings for that matter, that's why you have an agent). Make sure before the open house you cleaned the house and put everything away nicely.
Homes (and condos) show better when occupied (unless occupant is messy).

If you think of it in dollars term, you cleaning a little bit extra can be the factor that makes someone decide to offer you plus/minus a few thousand dollars. A worthy investment
that doesn’t answer my question . Of course I clean every time I have a showing request.  I clean and clean and then the showing appointment turns in to a fake appointment with no show , or cancellations .

Offline whacked1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 05:12:13 PM »
that doesn’t answer my question . Of course I clean every time I have a showing request.  I clean and clean and then the showing appointment turns in to a fake appointment with no show , or cancellations .
Have an open house so you arent showing the whole week.

Offline debt.disappear

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 05:12:25 PM »
I have a condo on listing . I haven’t moved out but have moved out most of my stuffs out in a public storage space . I do have an agent . When I get showing request text . I answered YEs and it is confirmed but then I have people that just don’t show up or cancel 5 mins before showing time etc . I had one cancelled 5 mins before showing time and the same guy rescheduled earlier . Today I had showing confirmed at 2 but the buyer’s  agent  comes at 1 alone with the key from the  lockbox outside . I asked him who he is , no reply and I looked out of the window , asked him if he is the agent and he has buyers. Told me he will come back with his clients .  Well he  never showed up with his clients at all even after 3 pm. No cancellation either . It takes me lots of time to  reorganize things and hide whatever cluster I have . How do I prevent this? So damn inconvenient! I feel like pull my listing off but then I want to sell it first .
Best thing is to have an agent you trust and give them a key. They are used to the scheduling aspect and it's pretty common to have changes. Put some cameras in if it makes you feel better. Point is, let the agent do his or her job, everyone comes out ahead that way. I am a Broker for 20+ years

Offline peace123

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2022, 05:51:40 PM »
Best thing is to have an agent you trust and give them a key. They are used to the scheduling aspect and it's pretty common to have changes. Put some cameras in if it makes you feel better. Point is, let the agent do his or her job, everyone comes out ahead that way. I am a Broker for 20+ years
get the name and report  those that do fake showing requests?

Offline debt.disappear

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2022, 06:00:26 PM »
Good luck with that. Schedules change that's life and part of the game. Let your agent handle it that's what you pay them for

Offline debt.disappear

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2022, 06:07:43 PM »
You are going about selling your condo with the wrong attitude imho. Don't let your ego direct you. When you sell real estate it is like anything else. Sellers have to be patient and flexible. You are taking the sale of your condo very personally and that is a recipe for disaster. We have closed on hundreds of millions of dollars of real estate so I can say this with 100% certainty. Just keep your house clean and let your agent do their job, they know what they are doing and if not maybe look for a new one.  Sometimes selling is inconvenient, that's life and part of the game. If you don't like it, don't sell and stay put. Sorry for the tough love here but you sound like you're whining, and for no good reason. Get over yourself and go get a deal done!

Offline Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2022, 06:26:30 PM »
If you can afford to move on to your next place and only then sell your condo then that may be the best option, because you (or your broker) can get a company to stage the place and present it much better than your current furniture potentially, and the house will be 100% clean. It's very possible that you'll get a better price, and you won't have any of this stress.

If you can't afford to carry both mortgages, then moving out for a week or two might also be an option. If you're in a hot market, have a good broker, and are reasonable with your asking price then a week or two might be enough (even a few days might be enough depending on the market). Go on vacation, rent a house nearby, etc. The small cost will certainly be worthwhile as you can clean your place really well before you leave and then it'll show much better. You might spend a couple thousand on going away but you might gain much more than that on the sale.

If neither of those work for you then as others said the few hours of cleaning is worthwhile. Think about it this way- if you clean even 20 times for an hour each before you get a sale you might make 10 or 20 thousand more because it showed well (though admittedly you'll never know). If your time is worth much more than $500-1000/hr then obviously that's a bad deal, but if your time is worth less than that then just look at it as a worthwhile part of the process and don't kvetch about it so much

Offline peace123

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2022, 07:39:38 PM »
I had one agent rescheduled few hours before showing date and then canceling 5 mins before showing time . One lady agent came a day earlier then confirmed appointment date  I still let her and her clients in after asking them if it is okay that we are not  fully ready . I let her in cos she had her clients with her .  . Today this agent came alone without Clients one hour early , knocked my door when I responded , he didn’t reply I looked down the window and talked to that agent and told me he can come at scheduled time or come back with his clients now if he wants . He said yes , never came to see my condo , my agent called. And that agent says we will come right after we see the other condo . Still never came and never bothered to cancel the appointment . It is totally I should say weird! I have a child and for me it takes 3 hours minimum to prepare  fed my child and clean everything thoroughly and hide the toys and boxes back in my car .

Offline debt.disappear

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2022, 07:41:54 PM »
I had one agent rescheduled few hours before showing date and then canceling 5 mins before showing time . One lady agent came a day earlier then confirmed appointment date . Today this agent came alone without Clients one hour nearly knocked my door when I responded , he didn’t reply I looked down the window and talked to that agent and told me he can come at scheduled time or come back with his clients now if he wants . He said yes , never came to see my condo , my agent called. And that agent says we will come right after we see the other condo . Still never came and never bothered to cancel the appointment . It is totally I should say weird! I have a child and for me it takes 3 hours minimum to prepare  fed my child and clean everything thoroughly and hide the toys and boxes back in my car .
I give up. Best of luck on the sale of your condo.

Offline peace123

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2022, 08:00:07 PM »
I give up. Best of luck on the sale of your condo.
hahah come on , pls read just above . Have some sympathy on me and understand . Some buyers agent don’t follow real estate guidance and rules right ?

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2022, 08:02:55 PM »
hahah come on , pls read just above . Have some sympathy on me and understand . Some buyers agent don’t follow real estate guidance and rules right ?
Did you hire an agent?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline peace123

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2022, 09:01:08 PM »
Did you hire an agent?
yes I  have seller  agent . He doesn’t live in my area so he doesn’t have to come to showing .

Offline etech0

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2022, 09:11:28 PM »
I don't have any advice but it sounds like a really frustrating situation... good luck and I hope it sells quickly!
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2022, 10:30:12 PM »
yes I  have seller  agent . He doesn’t live in my area so he doesn’t have to come to showing .
Get him involved in this
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yitzgar

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2022, 10:48:06 PM »
Someone above suggested an open house on a weekend. Why don't you try that?