Poll

A Poll to decide if a poll should be taken.

Yes, we should take a poll to see people's opinion on TC.
8 (16.3%)
No, we should not take a poll to see people's opinion on TC.
7 (14.3%)
I never vote in polls.
5 (10.2%)
Maybe we should first take a poll to determine if this poll should be taken.
29 (59.2%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Tent City Lakewood  (Read 68656 times)

Offline smee123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Tent City Lakewood
« Reply #220 on: May 29, 2014, 09:40:09 PM »
Alex Libman is a clown. You can still feel bad for the non-agenda - Bad decisions/Bad luck homeless.
I do feel bad for them.
I wonder if they will just end up in a different tent city.
There are plenty of woods out there.

Offline Alex Libman

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Tent City Movement
« Reply #221 on: May 30, 2014, 05:39:36 PM »
This reply is sponsored by...

The Destiny's Bridge store, where you can pre-order this award-winning documentary about our Tent City on DVD or BluRay!   8)

To learn more about our Tent City, please visit http://TentCityNJ.org

For all the latest news, please LIKE "Tent City of Lakewood, NJ" on Facebook, and INVITE your friends - http://FB.com/TentCityNJ

I felt really bad until i read this on Alex Libman's face book account....

"It is clear that Lakewood Township's true concern isn't the well-being of the poor. It's obtaining the land on which Tent City is situated as quickly as possible so they can develop it and further their RACIST, SEPARATIST RELIGIOUS AGENDA. Power for power's sake, and discrimination by design - paid for, ladies and gentlemen, with YOUR TAX DOLLARS."

It seems that all TC-haters on this thread are utterly incapable of being factual with anything...  I didn't write that, Lisa Rose Ferrara did.

You've also linked to the wrong news article.  This text came from http://nj1015.com/should-lakewoods-tent-city-be-knocked-down-poll/ - where the OVERWHELMING majority of New Jerseyans voted AGAINST demolishing our much-needed charitable institution.

I don't agree with much of that text.  As a libertarian, I don't believe the government has any obligation to help the poor - just to stop aggressing against us and violating our *negative* Rights.

I also believe that people can live in voluntary private ("segregated") neighborhoods if they want to.  Someday the Jewish community in Lakewood will also understand that libertarian political philosophy is one that fits them best.

Offline smee123

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 31, 2014, 10:08:09 PM »

The Destiny's Bridge store, where you can pre-order this award-winning documentary about our Tent City on DVD or BluRay!   8)

For all the latest news, please LIKE "Tent City of Lakewood, NJ" on Facebook, and INVITE your friends - http://FB.com/TentCityNJ

It seems that all TC-haters on this thread are utterly incapable of being factual with anything...  I didn't write that, Lisa Rose Ferrara did.

You've also linked to the wrong news article.  This text came from http://nj1015.com/should-lakewoods-tent-city-be-knocked-down-poll/ - where the OVERWHELMING majority of New Jerseyans voted AGAINST demolishing our much-needed charitable institution.

I don't agree with much of that text.  As a libertarian, I don't believe the government has any obligation to help the poor - just to stop aggressing against us and violating our *negative* Rights.

I also believe that people can live in voluntary private ("segregated") neighborhoods if they want to.  Someday the Jewish community in Lakewood will also understand that libertarian political philosophy is one that fits them best.
Blah, blah blah
I hate your philosophy, not tent city.
Get it done legally and safe and stop endangering people.

Offline Super Speed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #223 on: May 31, 2014, 10:09:44 PM »

1) I want to know how many of this OVERWHELMING  New Jerseyans would vote in favor if it was in their backyard... 2) What rights are you referring to? You steal a piece of property live there for 5 years and complain about the government taking it away? It never belonged to you... 3) Seriously get a life I hope after you get evicted you will find something useful and constructive to do with your life.

Offline smee123

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 31, 2014, 10:09:58 PM »
I want to know how many of this OVERWHELMING  New Jerseyans would vote in favor if it was in their backyard... What rights are you referring to? You steal a piece of property live there for 5 years and complain about the government taking it away? It never belonged to you... Seriously get a life I hope after you get evicted you will find something useful and constructive to do with your life.
+1
And all those who voted did so thinking they were helping the homeless when in fact they were stopping the homeless from getting help.

Offline Baruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 31, 2014, 10:16:49 PM »

I wonder if the documentary documents how many people died horrific deaths in tent city. Like Alex Libman so eloquently said, it had a death rate as high as a hospital. Well, Mr. Libman, maybe in your next tent city you should erect a morgue. 

Offline Alex Libman

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Tent City Movement
« Reply #226 on: June 01, 2014, 12:06:19 PM »

http://tentcity.org/video - where you can find 200+ online videos (YouTube and Vimeo) about our Tent City.

... and these photos of me throwing "Township Property" signs in the dumpster:

... and generous contributions from people like you!  ;)

1) I want to know how many of this OVERWHELMING [percentage of] New Jerseyans would vote in favor if it was in their backyard...

Tent City is not "in" anyone's backyard.  I would never support and actively oppose any squatters trespassing on Private Property - which a well-organized Tent City would help to prevent.  If the gov't would accept our Homesteading Rights, our NGO would almost certainly sell this land, buy cheaper land in a less densely populated area, and use the rest of the money for services for the homeless.

Tent City is next to (at least 100 feet from) some people's backyards, but c'est la vie - if you want to choose your neighbors, move into a gated community where all land around you is privately owned.  If the gov't had cooperated with us instead of sabotaging us, we could have taken some reasonable measures for improved safety and air quality to benefit all our neighbors.

Like I said, the commie concept of so-called "public land" is a "tragedy of the commons".

2) What rights are you referring to? You steal a piece of property live there for 5 years and complain about the government taking it away? It never belonged to you...

Study rationalism, philosophy of law, and the homestead principle.

Rights exist as a natural phenomenon, like the laws of physics, and are understood through science and reason - not created through the whims of power-hungry legislators.  You can violate someone's Rights, but then you are objectively wrong, and you actions will have empirically-demonstrable negative consequences.  Evolution / civilization eventually finds ways to route around such errors...

It was the government that stole this land decades ago for tax reasons - "might makes right".  It then left it unused for decades.  Starting 8+ years ago, our organization has started "mixing its labor with the land" and providing a "public good", alleviating human suffering caused by government failure.  (And I don't mean the government failure to provide hand-outs, which I don't believe in, but the taxes and regulations multiplying the cost of living and chasing out jobs.)

Philosophically, this land has no legitimate owner but us.  All Property Rights philosophers (from Aristotle to Thomas Aquinas to John Locke to Thomas Jefferson to Bastiat to Mises to Hayek to Ayn Rand to Murray Rothbard to Milton and David Friedman) would take our side in this dispute.  Self-serving thugs with guns will overpower us, but that will not make them right.  I will continue raising the cost of their tyranny, and bringing more and more attention to it via the Internet.  Sooner or later, Truth will prevail.

3) Seriously get a life I hope after you get evicted you will find something useful and constructive to do with your life.

After the thugs with guns steal my Property, abduct and brutalize me by force, if they don't kill me or lock me away forever, then I will help start another Tent City.

And all those who voted did so thinking they were helping the homeless when in fact they were stopping the homeless from getting help.

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life.

I hope nobody bulldozes your home, to make you "get help" and become more dependent.  Of course then you'll realize that there's very little help to be had...

I wonder if the documentary documents how many people died horrific deaths in tent city. Like Alex Libman so eloquently said, it had a death rate as high as a hospital. Well, Mr. Libman, maybe in your next tent city you should erect a morgue. 

Go away until you can pass intermediate school reading and math.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 12:29:29 PM by Alex Libman »

Offline A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 01, 2014, 12:34:10 PM »

http://tentcity.org/video - where you can find 200+ online videos (YouTube and Vimeo) about our Tent City.

... and these photos of me throwing "Township Property" signs in the dumpster:

... and generous contributions from people like you!  ;)

Tent City is not "in" anyone's backyard.  I would never support and actively oppose any squatters trespassing on Private Property - which a well-organized Tent City would help to prevent.  If the gov't would accept our Homesteading Rights, our NGO would almost certainly sell this land, buy cheaper land in a less densely populated area, and use the rest of the money for services for the homeless.

Tent City is next to (at least 100 feet from) some people's backyards, but c'est la vie - if you want to choose your neighbors, move into a gated community where all land around you is privately owned.  If the gov't had cooperated with us instead of sabotaging us, we could have taken some reasonable measures for improved safety and air quality to benefit all our neighbors.

Like I said, the commie concept of so-called "public land" is a "tragedy of the commons".

Rights exist as a natural phenomenon, like the laws of physics, and are understood through science and reason - not created through the whims of power-hungry legislators.  You can violate someone's Rights, but then you are objectively wrong, and you actions will have empirically-demonstrable negative consequences.  Evolution / civilization eventually finds ways to route around such errors...

It was the government that stole this land decades ago for tax reasons - "might makes right".  It then left it unused for decades.  Starting 8+ years ago, our organization has started "mixing its labor with the land" and providing a "public good", alleviating human suffering caused by government failure.  (And I don't mean the government failure to provide hand-outs, which I don't believe in, but the taxes and regulations multiplying the cost of living and chasing out jobs.)

Philosophically, this land has no legitimate owner but us.  All Property Rights philosophers (from Aristotle to Thomas Aquinas to John Locke to Thomas Jefferson to Bastiat to Mises to Hayek to Ayn Rand to Murray Rothbard to Milton and David Friedman) would take our side in this dispute.  Self-serving thugs with guns will overpower us, but that will not make them right.  I will continue raising the cost of their tyranny, and bringing more and more attention to it via the Internet.  Sooner or later, Truth will prevail.

After the thugs with guns steal my Property, abduct and brutalize me by force, if they don't kill me or lock me away forever, then I will help start another Tent City.

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life.

I hope nobody bulldozes your home, to make you "get help" and become more dependent.  Of course then you'll realize that there's very little help to be had...

Go away until you can pass intermediate school reading and math.

Is that you destroying city property?
Tax payers hard earned money?

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 01, 2014, 12:43:02 PM »

The first two concepts linked have nothing to do with your points. So don't quote them anymore. Or read up on them more if you're still convinced that they support your position. I suggest that you read them from the primary sources, if you haven't already, as opposed to the wikipedia articles. The third article is relevant to your points but is not relevant to US law. Even when the Homestead Act was in effect, US law never recognized squatting public land, as I'm sure you know. So don't quote this concept anymore.

This is your main argument. Even though what you're doing is objectively illegal, you don't care, since the government is infringing upon your natural rights and is therefore objectively wrong. But this argument hinges on the assumption that the government is infringing upon your natural rights by taking away the land you have been occupying but do not own. The only problem is it is not up to you to define what your natural rights are. It also isn't up to you to pick and choose the philosopher that you most agree with and define natural rights according to that person. As a citizen of the US, it is your responsibility to abide by the law of the land. If you do not agree with the law, there are legal forms of protest. If you think that your protests have fallen upon deaf ears, that doesn't give you the right to break the law. And it definitely won't help your case trying to reform the law in the future if you're known as a reckless lawbreaker. So, my question to you is this: do you really care about the homeless, or do you love attention so much that you are willing to use them as human shields to achieve 10 minutes of fame?

Offline smee123

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 01, 2014, 12:47:05 PM »
TThat is the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life.

So i hit a soft spot with you  ;D ;D ;D ;D
It aint your home buster. You were illegally squatting on public land.
And you were putting peoples lives in danger and professing to help them all the while.
Community is a great thing and i hope you create it in a safe indoors environment

And..... HOW WERE YOU BEING INDEPENDENT BY RELYING ON CONTRIBUTIONS AND DONATIONS OF BASIC LIVING NECESSITIES!!!!!!!

Your logic amazes me.
What are your plans now?
Where are all the unfortunate people of tent city now?

Offline smee123

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 01, 2014, 12:48:35 PM »
do you really care about the homeless
I think this is the key here.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 01, 2014, 12:49:33 PM »
You should be arrested, charged and jailed for stealing and damaging the no trespassing signs.

Offline smee123

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 01, 2014, 12:54:48 PM »
There isn't a human soul out there that doesn't feel bad and want to help the homeless.
There are times when they choose to be in their situation, sometimes they are mentally ill and only get help when they get sick and are put in an adult home.
What i'm saying is a fact.
This winter there were people brought into ERs with frost bite, that's how sick they are-not to seek help way before that.
I hope this tent city episode helps the way politicians and the government treat them and help them.
At the end of the day, they are adults who until they are deemed a danger to them selves or whatever can do what they like as long as it's not against the law.
May god have mercy on them  :(

Offline Alex Libman

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Tent City Movement
« Reply #233 on: June 01, 2014, 02:40:35 PM »

Is that you destroying city property?
Tax payers hard earned money?

Yes, that's me removing those government power-grab signs, placed there to harass the homeless and volunteers who help them.  Openly.  In broad daylight.  Posting photos on our very visible Facebook Page immediately thereafter.  It's been 3 days...

Even if the chains around a "slave"'s neck are the legitimate property of the "master", that does not justify slavery - the "slave" is morally right and even heroic if he breaks them. 

The government stole the fruits of your mind and body, and it used them for evil, both in this country and around the world.  As ever-advancing technologies continue to make the institution of centralized coercive government ever-more obsolete, government will become ever-more deceitful and dangerous in its struggle to maintain and expand its power over mankind.  If we don't evolve and shed our collectivist delusions, humanity will be doomed to a technological dystopia from which we may never recover!

If you want to live a rational and righteous life, and not be an enabler of evil: stop paying taxes, convert all your assets to Bitcoins, put up a tent on so-called "public land", and be prepared to spend some time in jail.  Rational righteousness is the most precious of luxuries, no amount of Ferraris or familial bliss could ever come close...

The first two concepts linked have nothing to do with your points. [...]

Rationalist Philosophy and the Philosophy of Law are the foundation upon which my subsequent arguments rest.  Without understanding these concepts, one might think the Homestead Principle merely refers to the US Homestead Acts - a fallacy you've just repeated anyway.  It is a much broader concept by which natural resources without a legitimate owner -- whether pieces of land, sea, or someday other planets and solar systems -- originally enter into the human economy.

suggest that you read them from the primary sources, if you haven't already, as opposed to the wikipedia articles.

I link to Wikipedia (in spite of its left-wing bias) not as a reference, but as a pointer to introductory material.  Most people here won't even read that much...

The third article is relevant to your points but is not relevant to US law.

Indeed, I couldn't care less about US law, UN law, NJ law, OC law, LT law, or any other legal rules made up by politicians.  You might have understood that, had you not cast aside Rationalism and Philosophy of Law.

The only problem is it is not up to you to define what your natural rights are.

If it were only up to me, then I would have a "positive right" to a harem of pretty girls, etc, etc, etc.   ;)

I do not fight for Tent City because I need Tent City to improve my material situation.  I walked away from a very promising career in software development, database administration, and IT security.  I could easily be making a six-figure salary right now, or running my own little company (not to mention being a very early Bitcoin investor, tee hee).

Nor was I born a libertarian free market capitalist - like most brainwashed "public school" graduates, I voted for Al Gore in 2000; and my first efforts at independent thought were fallacious ones, as I voted for the Greentards in 2004...  (Shame!)  But I continued learning, and changing my positions accordingly.  When someone proves me wrong, I admit it and change.  My world-view has been largely stable for the past few years, and so I choose to make this stand.

(Off-topic, but I'd also like to note that I could have chosen to "gulch" somewhere better, but for now I will stand my ground in Lakewood - my primary hometown since my mom moved here in 1998.  (I've lived 15-45 minute drive away from Lakewood since coming to this country in 1992, and moved to Lakewood proper in 2010.)  If everyone runs away to greener freer pastures, then places like this are doomed...)

And so, I am doing this because I believe it is the right thing to do, having educated myself and conformed myself to Reason to the best of my ability.  I am not perfect, but if people who understood themselves to be imperfect would refrain from all action, then nothing good would ever get accomplished.

"Here I stand.  I can do no other."

If you do not agree with the law, there are legal forms of protest.

Go tell it at Masada.  Or to the founders of this country, who were not satisfied to petition their "representatives" in London.  Or to the people who ran the Underground Railroad, when politician-made laws incorrectly upheld the evils of slavery.  Or Gandhi.  Or the people who tried to save the Jews and other victims of the Holocaust.  Or Rosa Parks.  Or the participants in the Singing Revolution, and countless other dissidents in the USSR.  Or the unknown man who stood in front of tanks in Tiananmen Square.  Etc, etc, etc.

And we have it much easier than any generation of freedom-fighters before us - we have the Internet.  "The camera is the new gun."

At times progress only comes through struggle, especially when it threatens existing entrenched power interests.  Legal and "democratic" channels exist merely to pacify dissent - they're still manipulated by the powerful, and serve their interests.  Power is rarely given up voluntarily, but it has its limits, as it must maintain the illusion of its benevolence and yield to prevent an even faster collapse.

So, my question to you is this: do you really care about the homeless, or do you love attention so much that you are willing to use them as human shields to achieve 10 minutes of fame?

I've explained my motivations in depth in my previous posts on this thread.

If I experience the emotion of compassion, then I consider it an irrational vice and a weakness.  I avoid personal attention as much as possible, and I never appear on camera unless I absolutely have to.  I sympathize more with the taxpayers than the homeless, although my ideas will benefit them all.

I am here to achieve rational ends - demonstrate the failings of the Welfare State, and to fight for a better alternative: cheap living, voluntary charity, self-sufficiency, and mutual aid.

You should be arrested, charged and jailed for stealing and damaging the no trespassing signs.

The cowards with badges and guns know where to find me.

I am armed only with the pursuit of Truth.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 03:04:35 PM by Alex Libman »

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #234 on: June 01, 2014, 02:46:10 PM »
It's your sympathies are with taxpayers then the land should be sold and the proceeds used to reduce taxes.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline DH Data Recovery

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 01, 2014, 02:46:49 PM »
I feel like this is the Vaccine thread all over agin

Offline Super Speed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #236 on: June 01, 2014, 02:50:42 PM »

I do not fight for Tent City because I need Tent City to improve my material situation.  I walked away from a very promising career in software development, database administration, and IT security.  I could easily be making a six-figure salary right now, or running my own little company (not to mention being a very early Bitcoin investor, tee hee).
If this is the case then you're a fool.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 01, 2014, 02:58:39 PM »

Yes, that's me removing those government power-grab signs, placed there to harass the homeless and volunteers who help them.  Openly.  In broad daylight.  Posting photos on our very visible Facebook Page immediately thereafter.  It's been 3 days...

Even if the chains around a "slave"'s neck are the legitimate property of the "master", that does not justify slavery - the "slave" is morally right and even heroic if he breaks them. 

The government stole the fruits of your mind and body, and it used them for evil, both in this country and around the world.  As ever-advancing technologies continue to make the institution of centralized coercive government ever-more obsolete, government will become ever-more deceitful and dangerous in its struggle to maintain and expand its power over mankind.  If we don't evolve and shed our collectivist delusions, humanity will be doomed to a technological dystopia from which we may never recover!

If you want to live a rational and righteous life, and not be an enabler of evil: stop paying taxes, convert all your assets to Bitcoins, put up a tent on so-called "public land", and be prepared to spend some time in jail.  Rational righteousness is the most precious of luxuries, no amount of Ferraris or familial bliss could ever come close...

Rationalist Philosophy and the Philosophy of Law are the foundation upon which my subsequent arguments rest.  Without understanding these concepts, one might think the Homestead Principle merely refers to the US Homestead Acts - a fallacy you've just repeated anyway.  It is a much broader concept by which natural resources without a legitimate owner -- whether pieces of land, sea, or someday other planets and solar systems -- originally enter into the human economy.

I link to Wikipedia (in spite of its left-wing bias) not as a reference, but as a pointer to introductory material.  Most people here won't even read that much...

Indeed, I couldn't care less about US law, UN law, NJ law, OC law, LT law, or any other legal rules made up by politicians.  You might have understood that, had you not cast aside Rationalism and Philosophy of Law.

If it were only up to me, then I would have a "positive right" to a harem of pretty girls, etc, etc, etc.   ;)

Nor was I born a libertarian free market capitalist - like most brainwashed "public school" graduates, I voted for Al Gore in 2000; and my first efforts at independent thought were fallacious ones, as I voted for the Greentards in 2004...  (Shame!)  But I continued learning, and changing my positions accordingly.  When someone proves me wrong, I admit it and change.  My world-view has been largely stable for the past few years, and so I choose to make this stand.

Go tell it at Masada.  Or to the founders of this country, who were not satisfied to petition their "representatives" in London.  Or to the people who ran the Underground Railroad, when politician-made laws incorrectly upheld the evils of slavery.  Or Gandhi.  Or the people who tried to save the Jews and other victims of the Holocaust.  Or Rosa Parks.  Or the participants in the Singing Revolution, and countless other dissidents in the USSR.  Or the unknown man who stood in front of tanks in Tiananmen Square.  Etc, etc, etc.

And we have it much easier than any generation of freedom-fighters before us - we have the Internet.  "The camera is the new gun."

At times progress only comes through struggle, especially when it threatens existing entrenched power interests.  Legal and "democratic" channels exist merely to pacify dissent - they're still manipulated by the powerful, and serve the interests.  Power is rarely given up voluntarily, but it has its limits, as it must maintain the illusion of its benevolence and yield to prevent an even faster collapse.

I've explained my motivations in depth in my previous posts on this thread.

If I experience the emotion of compassion, then I consider it an irrational vice and a weakness.  I avoid personal attention as much as possible, and I never appear on camera unless I absolutely have to.  I sympathize more with the taxpayers than the homeless, although my ideas will benefit them all.

I am here to achieve rational ends - demonstrate the failings of the Welfare State, and to fight for a better alternative: cheap living, voluntary charity, self-sufficiency, and mutual aid.

The cowards with badges and guns know where to find me.

I am armed only with the Truth.
There is NOTHING in Atlas Shrugged even remotely similar to tent city other than the bands of former workers roaming around robbing people. In The Virtues of Selfishness there are some slightly relevant essays where she is against zoning laws and calls for taxes to eventually be voluntary with her incentives for them to be paid. This has nothing to do with receiving services based on the taxes paid by others.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 01, 2014, 02:59:23 PM »
I feel like this is the Vaccine thread all over agin
:-D

Offline Baruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 01, 2014, 03:09:52 PM »
All narcissistic monologues end with the words - "I am armed only with the pursuit of Truth". (Or something to that effect).