Author Topic: Sydney Master Thread  (Read 60025 times)

Offline benjie1305

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Re: Sydney Master Thread
« Reply #240 on: August 02, 2016, 07:47:25 PM »
The PH Melbourne is nice, but in no way is it in the same league as the PH Sydney. Basically, I'd say don't spend time in MEL over SYD because of the PH. If you want to spend time in MEL aside from staying in a nice hotel, that's obviously a different story.

Thanks!

Would most likely do shabbes in Melbourne coupled with the Australian Open and a 1-2 day GOR adventure.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 02, 2016, 07:58:50 PM »
Thanks!

Would most likely do shabbes in Melbourne coupled with the Australian Open and a 1-2 day GOR adventure.
Thay sounds good to me.

Offline zow

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 30, 2017, 10:57:18 PM »
Thinking about a week-long Australia trip, with tonight's VA error fare. We can't spend more than a week, given school, and in fact, we would travel over Pesach to avoid missing school.

We would spend Shabbos and end of chag in either SYD or MEL, not sure yet, but the question for tonight is about food. I understand that bringing home-cooked frozen meals (or POM meals) is not likely to fly in Australia.  Given that it's going to be Pesach, it doesn't seem like many restaurants will be open during C'H (only Univ of Syd, per Yeah That's Kosher), so I guess we'll need to order meals from a kosher caterer in Australia.  I see several (Lewis, Mila, Kazimoto), so I'm sure we can find one.

So, the questions are
1. Can I expect that Chabad (SYD or MEL) will have meals for both 7th and 8th nights of Pesach? And Kiddush?
2. Is it reasonable to assume that I'll be able to pre-arrange pesadik meals from a kosher caterer to be delivered -- during C'H -- to our hotel?
3. Is there any update (I have read the relevant thread) on what I can bring into Australia?

Thanks in advance.

Offline G11600

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 31, 2017, 02:15:37 AM »
Thinking about a week-long Australia trip, with tonight's VA error fare. We can't spend more than a week, given school, and in fact, we would travel over Pesach to avoid missing school.

We would spend Shabbos and end of chag in either SYD or MEL, not sure yet, but the question for tonight is about food. I understand that bringing home-cooked frozen meals (or POM meals) is not likely to fly in Australia.  Given that it's going to be Pesach, it doesn't seem like many restaurants will be open during C'H (only Univ of Syd, per Yeah That's Kosher), so I guess we'll need to order meals from a kosher caterer in Australia.  I see several (Lewis, Mila, Kazimoto), so I'm sure we can find one.

So, the questions are
1. Can I expect that Chabad (SYD or MEL) will have meals for both 7th and 8th nights of Pesach? And Kiddush?
2. Is it reasonable to assume that I'll be able to pre-arrange pesadik meals from a kosher caterer to be delivered -- during C'H -- to our hotel?
3. Is there any update (I have read the relevant thread) on what I can bring into Australia?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure about Chabad, but there is a kosher (year-round) hotel in Melbourne which will definitely be open for meals - either as guests or external.
http://www.pesach.com.au/
Not cheap though..

You will definitely be able to find a caterer who can supply food delivery in Sydney or Melbourne, will be KFP (non-kitniot). If gebrocht is important you should double-check...

Offline zow

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 31, 2017, 12:23:54 PM »
Not sure about Chabad, but there is a kosher (year-round) hotel in Melbourne which will definitely be open for meals - either as guests or external.
http://www.pesach.com.au/
Not cheap though..

You will definitely be able to find a caterer who can supply food delivery in Sydney or Melbourne, will be KFP (non-kitniot). If gebrocht is important you should double-check...
Thanks very much.
Hotel looks great but too expensive for us.
Having second thoughts about this trip...

Offline gswannabe

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United gold, spg Plat, Delta silver, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, flying blue gold
« Reply #245 on: December 25, 2017, 06:01:35 PM »
I will be in Sydney with my family or 1.5 days at the end of January.
We are 2 adults and 3 kids.
Is it worth renting a car?
Any suggestions for how to mazimize the short time that we have there?
Anyone do the opera house tour with kids?

Thanks

Offline moish

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #246 on: December 25, 2017, 06:19:40 PM »

Thanks
I did

Offline gswannabe

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United gold, spg Plat, Delta silver, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, flying blue gold
« Reply #247 on: December 25, 2017, 06:47:31 PM »
I did
What ages are your kids?
I have a 2, 4 & 6 year old

Offline moish

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #248 on: December 25, 2017, 07:23:02 PM »
What ages are your kids?
I have a 2, 4 & 6 year old
They were 4 and 1 at the time

Offline shmebeble

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 26, 2017, 08:08:02 AM »
I will be in Sydney with my family or 1.5 days at the end of January.
We are 2 adults and 3 kids.
Is it worth renting a car?
Any suggestions for how to mazimize the short time that we have there?

Thanks
Been there twice, don't think you really need more than that to see the main sights. I also don't think you need a car.
Take the train from the airport downtown. And check into a hotel there. From there you can easily Uber, take the Ferries or even public trans to the kosher food and everything else is downtown

Offline BBPAPA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 27, 2019, 10:44:12 PM »
Looking for advice on how to spend 5 days in Sydney.
I read up the TR's. No recent postings, however.
Any specifics on where to stay and where to eat that will also be good for Shabbos?
If I stay at PH or the other Hyatt downtown what options are there for Shabbos minyan?
Don't want to rent a car. TIA

Offline mimb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA, United, Delta, AMEX, CHASE UR, SPG
« Reply #251 on: August 28, 2019, 09:57:03 AM »
Any specifics on where to stay and where to eat that will also be good for Shabbos?
If I stay at PH or the other Hyatt downtown what options are there for Shabbos minyan?

you can spend a day by circular quay taking ferry rides, checking out the botanical garden and opera house (i think there's a coney island type of amusement park also). I would also do a day trip to the blue mountains if you like to hike and featherdale wildlife park. You can get up close to kangaroos and koalas there, we had a great time when we went. You can do a beach day in bondi as well.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #252 on: August 28, 2019, 10:20:21 AM »

Consider shabbos in MEL?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline BBPAPA

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 28, 2019, 08:54:09 PM »
Consider shabbos in MEL?

Booked JFK-SYD RT 11/3-11/12 (arriving 11/5)
Enough time to see MEL?

Moish's TR mentioned Free ETA--link?

Offline G11600

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 29, 2019, 12:10:32 AM »

Shabbos in Sydney is fine. you can stay in city center and daven at Great Synagogue, either buy food in advance from Bondi or arrange hospitalty through shul.
You can also stay in Bondi where there are many shuls. Few hotels in Bondi, eg Adina Serviced Apartments (which used to be a jewish sports club with decent kosher restaurant, RIP).

I just returned from a week in Sydney, staying with family. Plenty to keep kids amused. Can recommend Taronga Zoo (by ferry from Circular Quay) or Sydney Zoo and Aqarium at Darling harbor (walk from city). I got discounted rates from experienceoz.com.au ,zoo + aquarium cost around AUD 45 (USD 30) combined per adult, AUD 30 for kids.
Lots of day trips if weather is OK.
Kosher options in Bondi pretty good - Katzys, Pita Mix, Savion, Jesse's were all good and reasonably priced (compared to Israel..).

Food options in supermarkets have improved - loads of dips available in all supermarkets (even Uluru/Ayers Rock), Hummus/Avocado, Egg Salad etc. Yumi brand with Australia Kosher symbol.

Any q's let me know.

Offline BBPAPA

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: August 30, 2019, 08:48:05 AM »
Shabbos in Sydney is fine. you can stay in city center and daven at Great Synagogue, either buy food in advance from Bondi or arrange hospitalty through shul.
You can also stay in Bondi where there are many shuls. Few hotels in Bondi, eg Adina Serviced Apartments (which used to be a jewish sports club with decent kosher restaurant, RIP).

I just returned from a week in Sydney, staying with family. Plenty to keep kids amused. Can recommend Taronga Zoo (by ferry from Circular Quay) or Sydney Zoo and Aqarium at Darling harbor (walk from city). I got discounted rates from experienceoz.com.au ,zoo + aquarium cost around AUD 45 (USD 30) combined per adult, AUD 30 for kids.
Lots of day trips if weather is OK.
Kosher options in Bondi pretty good - Katzys, Pita Mix, Savion, Jesse's were all good and reasonably priced (compared to Israel..).

Food options in supermarkets have improved - loads of dips available in all supermarkets (even Uluru/Ayers Rock), Hummus/Avocado, Egg Salad etc. Yumi brand with Australia Kosher symbol.

Any q's let me know.

Thanks for your input.

Have some, not a ton of Hyatt points. (Would love to stay at PH)
Is Hyatt Regency a decent option in the city center? Walking distance to Great Synagogue or any other shul?
Any shuls have Shabbos meals available?
TIA

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #256 on: August 30, 2019, 10:41:51 AM »
Booked JFK-SYD RT 11/3-11/12 (arriving 11/5)
Enough time to see MEL?

Moish's TR mentioned Free ETA--link?
Personally I'd fly into MEL, drive the GOR and stay on the GOR, stay at the PH MEL for shabbos and eat next door at Chabad, and fly to SYD on Sunday and stay at the PH and hit up the Harbour Bridge, Opera House, etc.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline BBPAPA

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 05, 2019, 10:26:05 PM »
Personally I'd fly into MEL, drive the GOR and stay on the GOR, stay at the PH MEL for shabbos and eat next door at Chabad, and fly to SYD on Sunday and stay at the PH and hit up the Harbour Bridge, Opera House, etc.

Your trip itinerary would be L'chat-chila. I'm at the B'di-eved stage.

Hyatt Regency in the CBD- near the shul? Online reviews of the place are eh.
Other options?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 05, 2019, 10:30:32 PM »
Your trip itinerary would be L'chat-chila. I'm at the B'di-eved stage.
Huh? Go use some Avios and fly onto MEL.

Offline G11600

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 06, 2019, 09:49:13 AM »
Thanks for your input.

Have some, not a ton of Hyatt points. (Would love to stay at PH)
Is Hyatt Regency a decent option in the city center? Walking distance to Great Synagogue or any other shul?
Any shuls have Shabbos meals available?
TIA

Hyatt Regency is fine. Close to Great Synagogue (5-10 mins walk max). Also close to Darling Harbour, CBD etc. Great Synagogue occasionally have shabbat meals, check website. Otherwise order takeaway from Katz's or Pita Mix. I'm sure they'd deliver if you arrange an Uber.
Personally I'd stay in Sydney, it's a great city.