Author Topic: Sydney Master Thread  (Read 60075 times)

Offline jonesy

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Sydney Master Thread
« Reply #300 on: July 11, 2022, 02:45:22 AM »
Regular room just looking at opera or the large room?
Also did you spend shabbos there?

Just stayed at PH Sydney for shabbos. Walk to great synagogue was about 25 minutes and easy directions (note official address on castlereagh st is really the exit. You go in around the corner on Elizabeth st- we also registered by email with security in advance). Davening was nice but could be very different than what you might be used to in the US (very modern style with chazanus and a choir)- small minyan as the community doesn’t really live in that area but everyone was very nice. Very Small kiddish and we bought food and ate meals at the hotel. The hotel gave a nice opera view upgrade for globalist and kosher breakfast was very nice. Overall we really enjoyed the PH area, room and views for shabbos. Stairs in the hotel were locked/alarmed so we ended up having to ask one of the staff to get us up into our room (they were very helpful with this but you obviously need to be ok with that). Also had to “rig” the closet with the fridge to not magnetically close,  as it had a sensor light. Balcony was also sensored to shut off the air conditioning. Overall very pleased we stayed there but paid the old 30k a night rate and I’m not sure I would have done it without the globalist upgrade and breakfast.

Offline Gvann

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF gold elite, AA Executive Platinum, DL outcasted platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Hyatt Discoverist
« Reply #301 on: July 12, 2022, 10:05:23 AM »
I hear that, also 40k for 5 nights is a lot more than 30k. I think I’m gonna do the Hilton in the end, since I’m diamond there and for way cheaper than park Hyatt basic room can get master suite with giant living room and separate bedroom (ideal for coming with baby). And a nice table for shabbos. Will be going to ph Melbourne though

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #302 on: July 12, 2022, 10:11:37 AM »
Stairs in the hotel were locked/alarmed so we ended up having to ask one of the staff to get us up into our room (they were very helpful with this but you obviously need to be ok with that).
We stayed on the ground floor in the PH MEL and SYD to avoid those issues.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF gold elite, AA Executive Platinum, DL outcasted platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Hyatt Discoverist
« Reply #303 on: August 04, 2022, 06:47:23 PM »
Anyone have a contact for the Rav of the Adas? Or a frum family to stay by for a shabbos (very frum)

Online Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 05, 2022, 01:05:01 AM »
Anyone have a contact for the Rav of the Adas? Or a frum family to stay by for a shabbos (very frum)
Why not a hotel?

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 05, 2022, 03:54:55 PM »
Probably staying in one hotel until shabbos and then one hotel after shabbos. Don’t want to have issues of high floors or electric lights on the doors etc. and need a kitchen to make shabbos which is hard to find

Online Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 05, 2022, 10:30:35 PM »
Probably staying in one hotel until shabbos and then one hotel after shabbos. Don’t want to have issues of high floors or electric lights on the doors etc. and need a kitchen to make shabbos which is hard to find
Why not ask Chabad?

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 28, 2022, 01:41:19 AM »
Part 1 of review of Sydney.

We stayed first in the Hilton, we were upgraded to master suite, best in the house. Honestly just the fanciest bathroom you’ve ever seen but not much more than that, bedroom tiny. Tons of kosher food at breakfast, cereals, fruits, juice, etc. The junior suite, which we stayed in last night of our whole trip before going to airport was more than enough. So if staying there, push for a junior suite (it has a door with separate bedroom, making it a full suite, not sure why it’s not called a suite.

Taronga zoo is nothing crazy, just an activity with the ferry and cable car. A lot of animals weren’t there even, but fearherdale wildlife park is amazing and should be done on day trip to blue mountains. Any of the animals that you would want to see in Australia are in featherdale and you get much closer to them. And feed them.

We switched to park Hyatt for shabbos and stayed for three nights, had a premium opera view room. Large room with two massive sets of doors overlooking opera house, at the end of the hotel basically as close as you can get. Whoa. It’s incredible. Honestly the opera house is whatever you make of it, but as a background to hotel room I don’t think I have ever seen a better view out my window. We slept with just the sheer curtains down so that we could see it (easily from everywhere in room). To put it into perspective, everyone came to the spot on the sidewalk that our room was above to take pictures,
Shabbos was great. They didn’t seem to know anything about it which I was surprised being that many people here have stayed there. But I think that they are all new employees after being shut down for 2 years. Side point, as a whole Australia felt like a place that was getting back into the swing of tourism after a long break. Service though was amazing, they struggled to figure out what we wanted to do with our shabbos plans, but just basically did whatever we told them. They even set our table in the room with a table cloth and gave us necessary cutlery and plates for our seudas and changed them after each one! So we had new everything including tablecloths for each seuda which made us feel like we were at a program in a way, very fresh and clean. Also, we told them we couldn’t drink the welcome amenity wine and they replaced it with 6 beers on the house. The stairs are complicated because they have light sensors so when you walk you turn them on, so someone has to go in front of you the whole time. The closets have push bottom sensors that turn on the light when opened so you have to tape them, petty simple. The balcony doors are censored to ac so we left it open the whole shabbos so that we could go out, and the air was cool since it’s winter so we didn’t mind. Someone was in the room the whole shabbos so we didn’t have to get anyone to open for us, but they don’t give physical keys, or rig the door for shabbos so have to keep that in mind. Also, the door to the stairs is not electric so best to go out of hotel would be to use that door.

For food for shabbos we had cold from pitamix. Right now that is the best and might be only place to get anything not pizza. Great food and they have an amazing shabbos menu, we just had it cold but you could work out a heater of someone sort probably. But pitamix is the place to go in Sydney for kosher.

Coles in bondi is amaIng they have tons of kosher food and even baked goods from local bakeries. We never made it to the bakeries but we had their stuff from coles and it was amazing. And everything is pretty good prices because the US dollar is strong against Australia right now.

Pt 2 to come with more of activities and other stuff

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 28, 2022, 10:18:49 AM »
We did taronga zoo, which as I said above is nothing crazy. Just a zoo, but it’s a fun 10 minute boat ride which you can see the bridge and opera house from a great POV. also the cable car is a lot of fun and towards the top you really can have a great view of the city.

We walked around the harbour by the opera house and park Hyatt motzei shabbos, it’s a very nice walk. Most of it is lit up with nice big lights. It goes to the gardens on the opposite side of the opera house but they close supposedly at night. So if you wanna go during the day I hear it’s supposed to be very nice. We just did not have time. But the walk would probably be more fun at night because of the lights and not as many people walking around.

Great synagogue was actually the most entertaining minyan I’ve ever been to. It’s an experience by itself. It’s a full minyan just very proper and formal, and a lot of things you won’t find in a typical Heimish minyan but it does the job and it was entertaining. Very nice shul and definitely worth a trip to see. It’s a very manageable walk from any hotel in the area (assuming based off park Hyatt probably being the furthest away). It didn’t feel like more than 20 minutes each way but I honestly wasn’t timing and I don’t know exactly but it did not feel like the 29 minutes that google maps said.

We did a private tour from Expedia of the blue mountains and that included featherdale. Featherdale is amazing and you get really close to animals and get to feed them. You can spend hours just sitting with kangaroos. Definitely worth a visit. They have these types of places all over and it seems there are a few near Melbourne also but I think featherdale seems to be most famous and may be a little better, it’s pretty big. But you won’t need more than 1.5 hours. Important to bring cash because you can only by the food cups with cash and if you don’t have a food cup you’re missing out on the fun. But they were able to exchange American dollars and charge you with American cash. Food cups are 3 aud as of now.

The blue mountains are cool, but anyone who has done some adventuring in the western us will probably say that it doesn’t compare. It’s still a very nice trip and only a two hour drive out. There are a lot of things to do and you can get close to a lot of cliffs and famous rock fixtures for great pictures. Echo point is the big place where you can see the three sisters. There is also a place called scenic world. They have what they claim is the steepest railway in the world, an old mining track. And cable cars. They go out over waterfalls and valleys hundreds of feet up with a glass bottom. It’s cool, but 49 aud so have to weigh if it’s worth it. Also seems to be always busy.

I would recommend doing blue mountains with private tour because considering price of rental car and parking at hotel for two nights (since it’s a full day trip you would need the car the day before and return the day after), gas and the price of featherdale, you might as well do a private tour. We did for 239 on Expedia which was an amazing price, but he was more of an Uber driver than a tour guide, and did not really do much more than drop us off at the places. However I think that we just had a bad tour guide and others will probably be better. And when you dispute with Expedia for not getting a tour, just an Uber driver, it comes out a lot cheaper than renting a car ;). But I still feel that a private tour is worth it because you’ll get to all the places and more and they will usually take you to less known spots and tell you a lot about everything, and you’ll have someone to take pictures for you.

Again, pitamix is the best for food, but coles is really good in bondi junction, they have a lot of kosher food and good stuff too.

In terms of finding out if something is kosher, ka website ka.org.au is pretty good. There is a search bar where you just type in the brand and right away a drop down list will appear with giant yes or no so it really takes seconds ti find food on there, also coles now has a KA on the price labels of many kosher items but not everything has it so just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean it isn’t kosher and you should still look it up. One thing we noticed that the goyish brands don’t have kosher is crackers, so you may have to spend 6 times the price to get kosher crackers.

In the hotels, most cereals are coles brand and are kosher, fruit juices are usually kosher and obviously the fruits. The Hilton had kosher honey and jams which we had for fruits as well as the park Hyatt Sydney. Ph Melbourne however just had open container of honey that I did not feel comfortable using because it probably had peoples non kosher hot food all mixed in. Could be they had individual packets but we did not ask.

Melbourne will be posted in Melbourne thread.

We flew round trip through Sydney from/to the us, so we had to come back to Sydney last night of trip where we stayed in Hilton junior suite, it was great and more than enough and again, has a full closing door to bedroom so more than enough to be a suite and good option for keeping a baby in the living room. Spa tub in the bathroom can become part of the bedroom if you move the glass doors away. Really cool room honestly. No good views from Hilton though, just some water very far out but nonetheless good hotel for The price.

All in all Sydney was cool place but you’ll probably have much more fun in Melbourne.

Online Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 28, 2022, 08:48:27 PM »
We did taronga zoo, which as I said above is nothing crazy. Just a zoo, but it’s a fun 10 minute boat ride which you can see the bridge and opera house from a great POV. also the cable car is a lot of fun and towards the top you really can have a great view of the city.

We walked around the harbour by the opera house and park Hyatt motzei shabbos, it’s a very nice walk. Most of it is lit up with nice big lights. It goes to the gardens on the opposite side of the opera house but they close supposedly at night. So if you wanna go during the day I hear it’s supposed to be very nice. We just did not have time. But the walk would probably be more fun at night because of the lights and not as many people walking around.

Great synagogue was actually the most entertaining minyan I’ve ever been to. It’s an experience by itself. It’s a full minyan just very proper and formal, and a lot of things you won’t find in a typical Heimish minyan but it does the job and it was entertaining. Very nice shul and definitely worth a trip to see. It’s a very manageable walk from any hotel in the area (assuming based off park Hyatt probably being the furthest away). It didn’t feel like more than 20 minutes each way but I honestly wasn’t timing and I don’t know exactly but it did not feel like the 29 minutes that google maps said.

We did a private tour from Expedia of the blue mountains and that included featherdale. Featherdale is amazing and you get really close to animals and get to feed them. You can spend hours just sitting with kangaroos. Definitely worth a visit. They have these types of places all over and it seems there are a few near Melbourne also but I think featherdale seems to be most famous and may be a little better, it’s pretty big. But you won’t need more than 1.5 hours. Important to bring cash because you can only by the food cups with cash and if you don’t have a food cup you’re missing out on the fun. But they were able to exchange American dollars and charge you with American cash. Food cups are 3 aud as of now.

The blue mountains are cool, but anyone who has done some adventuring in the western us will probably say that it doesn’t compare. It’s still a very nice trip and only a two hour drive out. There are a lot of things to do and you can get close to a lot of cliffs and famous rock fixtures for great pictures. Echo point is the big place where you can see the three sisters. There is also a place called scenic world. They have what they claim is the steepest railway in the world, an old mining track. And cable cars. They go out over waterfalls and valleys hundreds of feet up with a glass bottom. It’s cool, but 49 aud so have to weigh if it’s worth it. Also seems to be always busy.

I would recommend doing blue mountains with private tour because considering price of rental car and parking at hotel for two nights (since it’s a full day trip you would need the car the day before and return the day after), gas and the price of featherdale, you might as well do a private tour. We did for 239 on Expedia which was an amazing price, but he was more of an Uber driver than a tour guide, and did not really do much more than drop us off at the places. However I think that we just had a bad tour guide and others will probably be better. And when you dispute with Expedia for not getting a tour, just an Uber driver, it comes out a lot cheaper than renting a car ;). But I still feel that a private tour is worth it because you’ll get to all the places and more and they will usually take you to less known spots and tell you a lot about everything, and you’ll have someone to take pictures for you.

Again, pitamix is the best for food, but coles is really good in bondi junction, they have a lot of kosher food and good stuff too.

In terms of finding out if something is kosher, ka website ka.org.au is pretty good. There is a search bar where you just type in the brand and right away a drop down list will appear with giant yes or no so it really takes seconds ti find food on there, also coles now has a KA on the price labels of many kosher items but not everything has it so just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean it isn’t kosher and you should still look it up. One thing we noticed that the goyish brands don’t have kosher is crackers, so you may have to spend 6 times the price to get kosher crackers.

In the hotels, most cereals are coles brand and are kosher, fruit juices are usually kosher and obviously the fruits. The Hilton had kosher honey and jams which we had for fruits as well as the park Hyatt Sydney. Ph Melbourne however just had open container of honey that I did not feel comfortable using because it probably had peoples non kosher hot food all mixed in. Could be they had individual packets but we did not ask.

Melbourne will be posted in Melbourne thread.

We flew round trip through Sydney from/to the us, so we had to come back to Sydney last night of trip where we stayed in Hilton junior suite, it was great and more than enough and again, has a full closing door to bedroom so more than enough to be a suite and good option for keeping a baby in the living room. Spa tub in the bathroom can become part of the bedroom if you move the glass doors away. Really cool room honestly. No good views from Hilton though, just some water very far out but nonetheless good hotel for The price.

All in all Sydney was cool place but you’ll probably have much more fun in Melbourne.
Nice mini TR. Sounds like you just had an ok time. Hopefully Melbourne was a lot better.

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 29, 2022, 09:39:14 AM »
It was nice but I would not go to Australia just to be in Sydney, and the cooler scenic parts of Australia are definitely by melbourne. I would say the biggest highlight of sydney is the park Hyatt, and it was a very fun stay. We loved it a lot. But without that it would not really have been so much fun. Melbourne definitely much easier to make a good trip out of. Would have left more time for Tasmania probably. Or would have skipped taronga and done whale watching tours or something like that, there are a ton of boat tours from sydney that are all supposed to be quite amazing. But yes, sydney itself is a city you can spend one day in, and spend a second day going to the mountains. But the park Hyatt makes it worth spending at least three nights in. With avios it’s very easy to go to Tasmania or Canberra where people say it’s a lot of fun too. So definitely something to keep in mind

Online Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 29, 2022, 09:42:22 AM »
It was nice but I would not go to Australia just to be in Sydney, and the cooler scenic parts of Australia are definitely by melbourne. I would say the biggest highlight of sydney is the park Hyatt, and it was a very fun stay. We loved it a lot. But without that it would not really have been so much fun. Melbourne definitely much easier to make a good trip out of. Would have left more time for Tasmania probably. Or would have skipped taronga and done whale watching tours or something like that, there are a ton of boat tours from sydney that are all supposed to be quite amazing. But yes, sydney itself is a city you can spend one day in, and spend a second day going to the mountains. But the park Hyatt makes it worth spending at least three nights in. With avios it’s very easy to go to Tasmania or Canberra where people say it’s a lot of fun too. So definitely something to keep in mind
I agree, Sydney isn't as exciting as Melbourne (or rather Victoria), but I guess it depends on what you do.

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 29, 2022, 09:46:05 AM »
But something that I mentioned by Melbourne and not here, the winter is still a great time to go to Sydney. The weather is Sydney was amazing, I don’t even think it rained the whole time we were there. It’s 50s to 60s and a great escape from us heat of summer. Also in summer it apparently turns into big time beach town with not the greatest proportions of the body covered, so those who would not go to such places at such times of year should be aware. But winter is cheaper and less crowded and still plenty of sun, so would highly recommend a winter trip (us summer)

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 29, 2022, 01:35:12 PM »
Side point! best line of the trip was in ph sydney. “we definitely understand that you can’t use electricity so therefore you can’t use the elevator and it would definitely be a possibility to use the stairs but they are locked so whenever you need to go down just call the desk and we’ll let you through the stairs”

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #314 on: June 01, 2023, 12:09:48 AM »
Any please in SYD that can arrange frozen meals or takeout? My backup is having it shipped from MEL but that's a major PITA.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #315 on: June 01, 2023, 12:10:05 AM »
Also - anyone have a driver recommendation for SYD?
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline lcm

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 01, 2023, 12:56:27 AM »
Any please in SYD that can arrange frozen meals or takeout? My backup is having it shipped from MEL but that's a major PITA.
Tried Krinsky's? They're the kosher supermarket there.
There is also a kosher pizza place fwtw.

Offline mijo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA: 1K, HHonors: Dia, IHG Plat
« Reply #317 on: June 01, 2023, 03:58:06 AM »
I was there last week
Lewis had frozen meals in their store
Krinsky's usually has, I didn't check this time
Millies also had (but usually only open on Thursday and Friday)
Pita Mix and Bagel Co have take out depending what and when you need - also some things in the Bagel Co fridge
There are also some other caterers, this list is up to date https://www.greatsynagogue.org.au/kosherrestaurants excet for Katz's -they are closed.

Offline mijo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA: 1K, HHonors: Dia, IHG Plat
« Reply #318 on: June 01, 2023, 04:00:57 AM »
Also - anyone have a driver recommendation for SYD?
I've always used Uber when in a Rush, VERY quick driver response time
However often walking+taking a ferry+train/tram are quicker depending where you need to go.  No need to get any special card in advance, just tap with Google Pay.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #319 on: June 01, 2023, 09:27:50 AM »
Katz's -they are closed.
Shame. The restaurant scene down under is truly abysmal.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.