Topic Wiki

List of TR's:

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36636.msg2582806#msg2582806

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=133380.0

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:

Graceway Gourmet has many kosher products with recognizable hechsherim. Super expensive

Synagogue:

https://www.jewishtci.com/

Things to Do:

Clear kayaking tour in the Mangroves
contact Jill +1 649-231-3122 (you can watsap)

Stand up paddle boarding or kayaking in the mangroves - SUP Provo
(you get a way better view with the SUP).

Scuba diving

Half Day Snorkeling Trip (Turks and Caicos Barrier Reef)
Caicos Dream Tours

Snorkeling at the Bight

Horseback rides on the beach

Hotels:

Grace Bay

The Ritz

The Venetian

Alexandra Resort

The Palms

Seven Stars

Beaches

Club Med

Getting Around:in style....

Notes:

Please Update the Wiki

Author Topic: Turks and Caicos Master Thread  (Read 40488 times)

Offline CS1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
Re: Turks and Caicos Master Thread
« Reply #100 on: December 29, 2022, 01:04:21 AM »
Great to see the Chabad of Turks and Caicos providing a special Kosher menu at the Ritz for Yeshiva Week 2023: https://www.jewishtci.com/templates/articlecco_cdo/aid/5754817/jewish/Ritz-Carlton-Winter-break-Kosher-family-style.htm
(yes, it is expensive, however it's a luxury Kosher meal at your convenient local Ritz beachfront location without having to drive, prepare, set up, or clean up. And considering the regular apples and oranges 6x pricing in TCI, these are not priced as high proportionately. You can stay for the whole week and just buy 1-2 dinners, and eat reheated brought-in food the rest of the time...)
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline shlomooo

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2023, 10:10:32 PM »
Anyone stay at sailrock in South caicos?
  • Is it worth the trek? the inter island flight etc
  • the only room bookable with points is the Patio suite, while on TA reviews seem Ok they all seem to be from the other rooms, anyone stay in this type of room?
  • what did you do about food?
Thanks in advance.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2023, 01:07:07 PM »
  • the only room bookable with points is the Patio suite, while on TA reviews seem Ok they all seem to be from the other rooms, anyone stay in this type of room?
Thanks in advance.

@rots5
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline shlomoandtam

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SNAP, WIC, Jersey Care, HUD. ;)
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2023, 02:58:08 PM »
Thanks in advance.
its worth the trek if you are going for a few days.
the rooms are gorgeous and huge.
brought all own food in a excellent cooler and they kept it frozen for us.
i plan writing on writing a T.R. when I get around to it.
if you decide to go there are a lot of tips you need to know, so let me know, happy to help

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2023, 03:06:13 PM »
its worth the trek if you are going for a few days.
the rooms are gorgeous and huge.
brought all own food in a excellent cooler and they kept it frozen for us.
i plan writing on writing a T.R. when I get around to it.
if you decide to go there are a lot of tips you need to know, so let me know, happy to help

Can't wait for TR!
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Ace.of.spades

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2023, 01:18:03 PM »
anyone ever use a babysitting service on on of the islands? can i trust them?

Offline Yellow

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2023, 06:31:10 PM »
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows what foods we can bring in? We're going for 4 days and planned on bringing prepackaged deli, pomegranate travel meals, and a few other prepared/homemade things.
Will this be an issue? (someone recently told me that they got very strict about even cooked chicken/deli due to the avian flus going around)

Thank you in advance for any input!

Offline puddles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2023, 06:50:15 PM »
I was there and they “randomly” checked my suitcase at the airport. I had frozen uncooked meat and Pomegrante type meals. They didn’t say a word.

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2023, 07:34:20 PM »
Thanks! Did you declare it on the customs form?

Offline puddles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2023, 08:01:48 PM »
I was there and they “randomly” checked my suitcase at the airport. I had frozen uncooked meat and Pomegrante type meals. They didn’t say a word.
I don’t think it asked that. But even it did, I did not

Offline dealfinder11

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2023, 11:04:58 PM »
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows what foods we can bring in? We're going for 4 days and planned on bringing prepackaged deli, pomegranate travel meals, and a few other prepared/homemade things.
Will this be an issue? (someone recently told me that they got very strict about even cooked chicken/deli due to the avian flus going around)

Thank you in advance for any input!

https://www.visittci.com/travel-info/importing-animal-and-plant-products

Food Products That May Be Brought into the Turks and Caicos

Frozen or refrigerated meat products in supermarket packaging, in non-commercial quantities. Product examples include whole chickens, whole turkeys, steaks, meat cuts, and hamburgers that are sealed in commercial packing. Products from the United States should have the mandated USDA label.
Frozen or refrigerated factory-processed meat products in factory sealed and branded packages. Product examples include hot dogs, sausages, packaged freezer foods.
Factory packaged granola and breakfast bars.
Factory packaged granola, muesli, and cereal.
Factory packaged coffee, rice, pasta.
Homemade granola, trail mix.
Factory packaged nuts, seeds, dried fruit, and trail mix.
Factory packaged and sealed cheese and dairy products.
Fruits and vegetables with PLU stickers in self-serve bags.
Fruits and vegetables in factory bags and cartons. Products examples: baby carrots in brand name sealed bags, apples, potatoes, onions in brand name sealed bags, and plastic carton of strawberries.
Supermarket baked goods.
Factory packaged baked goods.
Homemade baked goods.
Candy and sweets.

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2023, 11:20:03 PM »
Last week mon-thurs we went to this beautiful island and I cannot overstate how amazingly exquisite it is! We met several other frum tourists and between all of us, we’d been to Kauai, Jamiaca, Bahamas, Cancun, aruba St. Marten… and we all agreed that T&C was the best.

Booking the ticket:

I used AA miles and paid 35k points to redeem on Jetblue. With all the taxes+fees it was under $100+miles. Booking a jetblue mileage fare through AA allows for the traveler to choose a seat and get a free carry-on bag (in addition to a personal item).
The flight was around 3.5 hours from NYC, and the “Flyfi” (Jetblue’s free wifi) didn’t work on the way there, which was frustrating.
Upon arrival we waited over an hour in the customs line and there was no AC (just fans). The airport in general looks 100 years old, but everyone there was super kind and helpful, so who cares lol.

Booking our Accommodations:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/39530035?check_out=2023-03-02&check_in=2023-02-27&adults=5&guests=5&s=13&unique_share_id=96d05c98-7ca8-4a04aa662a03d8f36161&_branch_match_id=1162230893188058105&_branch_referrer=H4sIAAAAAAAAA8soKSkottLXT0zKS9LLTdUPNzXNcS81cHWsSAIAop9gUhsAAAA%3D&source_impression_id=p3_1678335666_bd3BDsk8dAfo1k55

To be honest, it didn’t make sense pricewise to book a hotel. Anything that looked halfway decent was like $1k per night and it was 5 of us which meant we needed to get multiple rooms. We ended up getting a stunning AirBnb in the Chalk Bay area. The house was so large and pristine, with a private pool, massive hot tub, huge kitchen, tons of privacy, that I highly recommend staying in an AirBnb. You just cant get that kind of space/pool privacy in a hotel.
Chalk Bay is very quiet and quaint. I think this is the very wealthy part of the island, as the homes there were gigantic and stunning. It’s about a 30 minute drive from the tourist hub of Grace Bay (where  Chabad is located). This is both good and bad. It’s good because it’s “off the beaten path” and serene. No noise or crowds. However, there is no public transportation on the island, and no uber, so getting a car service is a hassle and not cheap. We rented a car.

Car Rental:

We ended up booking our car online and were beyond shocked! We got a ~15-20 year old car with 175k miles on it. The muffler and AC were broken so it was boiling and noisy the entire time lol (it was significantly cheaper than other rental places so “if it sounds too good to be true it usually is”). The wipers went on whenever we turned on the left blinker, and the horn didn’t really work. We actually didn’t mind and found it quite hilarious! I guess it was just part of the experience lol
The driving is a bit weird. Steering wheel on the opposite side, as well as the roads, like in Europe. Takes about 5 mins of driving to get used to. Interestingly, I don’t believe we saw a single traffic light on the entire island. Just roundabouts. It was very interesting, and I personally found it more stressful/annoying (though it was cool that the flow of traffic never stopped).
It was $5 extra per day for each additional driver. Gas was roughly $7 per gallon. Parking was no issue wherever we went.

Beaches:

No words can possibly describe Taylor Bay. Its pretty much the first beach that comes up when you search “top beaches in turks: It is otherworldly, and even though it’s not exactly a “secret gem” that no one hears of, it’s in the Chalk Bay area not in Grace bay near the tourists. In the 4 hours we spent there, there were probably less than 2 dozen people there, coming and going. And if you walk far off along the bay it is empty. You’re probably wondering what makes this particular beach so amazing?

-   The water is shallow, and there are no waves or undercurrents. This means you can go very very deep and the water will still be only waist high. This
        is the perfect place to go with kids. Bring them some water floaties, tubes to sit in… we saw other couples spend hours at this beach with their kids…
        They even brought Bluetooth speakers and played music.
-   Pretty much empty
-   Faces west so sunset is unbelievable.
-   The only thing I must warn, is that there are rocks. Large ones under the sand in certain areas, so take caution where you decide to lay your towel
        down and make sure its soft sand.

If you take a day trip to snorkel (which I highly recommend) they give you an hour to explore Iguana Island. Walk across the island to the otherside (5 mins) and you will see a gorgeous beyond gorgeous beach. The only place I can compare it to is Polihale Beach in Kauai. Unlike in Taylor Bay, there are foamy waves, deep blue waters… an entirely different experience at these 2 beaches. Each incredible in its own right.

Food:

We brought in tons of things that we were worried would be a customs issue, but they didn’t ask us to declare it on the customs form, and didn’t stop us at all when we arrived (in contrast, my coworker was saying that Cancun has dogs smelling for food and they don’t even allow cheese or fully cooked chicken due to the avian flus?!).

TBH, I was kind of disappointed in the pomegranate meals we got. Besides for not tasting good (and granted, we may have just chosen bad meals…) the main issue was that, despite following their microwave directions to a T, the plastic covers cracked upon warming, and shards of plastic wound up in our food. In addition to possibly being a kashrus issue, since there is no longer a double seal as the container was broken, it was just plain annoying. I read reviews on these meals and never heard of this being an issue. The next night we warmed our food for way less time than recommended time and had the same issue. Was our microwave just too powerful for these thin plastic containers? I don’t know.

Food on the island was outrageously (but expectedly) expensive ($9 a dozen eggs, $9.75 for a pack of 30 Solo cups, $8 a box of cereal..). Bring whatever you can from home!

This is getting a bit long, so I’ll end here, but if anyone has any questions feel free to reply and I’ll do my best to answer.
TLDR, this island is incredible and I cant think of a nicer place to visit if you have a quick few days to spend on a vaca!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 11:40:34 PM by Yellow »

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2023, 11:35:24 PM »

Watch out for the rocks at Taylor Bay! (not an issue at most of the beach though)

Our private pool

Offline rots5

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2023, 10:43:18 PM »
@rots5
lol. just saw this.

Its awesome but have to be ready for pure quietness and relaxation.
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline Ace.of.spades

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2023, 12:35:05 PM »
do you need to vaccinated for entry to turks and caicos?

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2023, 07:00:44 PM »
do you need to vaccinated for entry to turks and caicos?

GIYF, no longer required as of April 1, 2023.

Offline shlomoandtam

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SNAP, WIC, Jersey Care, HUD. ;)

Offline Travellover1

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2024, 10:52:09 PM »
Anyone have any updated info on the ritz?
Does anyone know of any other points hotels (other than sailrock)?
Thanks