Topic Wiki

I feel compelled to speak about a "Kol Koreh" signed by a number of Rabbis making the rounds and being published together with an alleged "translation" or "explanation" of the hebrew side.
On the Hebrew side it speaks out against the credit card application farms and their methods as I wrote in point 2 here: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/46584

However on the English side the author writes out against buying gift cards and every other method of manufactured spend to earn miles.

I figured it was worth investigating what exactly the Rabbis signed off on.  I called and asked Rav Shmuel Kamenetsky, the Rosh Yeshiva in Philadelphia, whether he agreed with the English side.  He said he never saw an English side and that it was terrible that it would imply that he was agreeing with anything that wasn't explicitly written on the Hebrew side.  And he said that it has to be corrected so that people don't get that impression.

He does not feel that "all methods of manufacturing spend for miles are abusive," and indeed if there are legal ways to do it, then people should go right ahead and earn the miles.

I also called Rav Dov Kahan, founder of Bais Din Maysharim in Lakewood.  He also did not agree that "all methods of manufactured spend are abusive" but felt that methods in which each party (the store and the credit card in the case of a gift card purchase) say that you can do so and it's not against any of their terms, would be permissible and that isn't what the Kol Koreh was targeting.

-Dan

Reply #194
Rav Kamenetsky just called me back.

He says aderaba, if people can find a way to purchase miles via stores who charge for gift cards and and they can get miles then good for them.  Nothing wrong with that kind of MS at all and he had no idea why the author would deceive him like that.

The problem he signed against was the companies opening cards for people and their methods, nothing else.

Reply #280
The only kind of MS that R' Kaminetzky said isn't "yashur" and that he was signing onto was for refundable items.

He wasn't told anything about any other kind of MS.

« Last edited by Dan on July 10, 2014, 09:49:35 PM »

Author Topic: Kol Koreh against MS  (Read 95454 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Kol Koreh against MS
« Reply #380 on: July 09, 2014, 08:53:30 PM »
Too much work.
I've told my piece to the shopper and done my research. Either I make a DDMS post or post update or nada.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #381 on: July 09, 2014, 08:54:20 PM »
He holds PGGM and Barclays refundable is exactly what was signed against .
Actually the KK was about the CC farms and he said these CC farms have moved onto things beyond refundables into more murky territory but he didn't want to tell me what exactly.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 09, 2014, 08:55:31 PM »
I vote nada

Offline george

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: July 09, 2014, 09:08:12 PM »
Too much work.
I've told my piece to the shopper and done my research. Either I make a DDMS post or post update or nada.
I was looking at it from your perspective. If you want more people to sign up for CC's, they better not think that buying GC's is assur cuz then they won't have a way to meet spend etc.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 09, 2014, 09:09:03 PM »
I was looking at it from your perspective. If you want more people to sign up for CC's, they better not think that buying GC's is assur cuz then they won't have a way to meet spend etc.
Old fashioned pay your real expenses ;)

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 09, 2014, 09:17:54 PM »
Actually the KK was about the CC farms and he said these CC farms have moved onto things beyond refundables into more murky territory but he didn't want to tell me what exactly.
evolve?  :P

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 09, 2014, 09:22:47 PM »
evolve?  :P
Can't evolve an AMEX directly.

Offline Super Speed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #387 on: July 09, 2014, 09:52:36 PM »
If no one else is going to clean up the mess that was made then I personally feel that you should put up a post on DDMS.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 09, 2014, 09:56:02 PM »
You can make a post on DDMS but be very very cautious. It is asking for trouble imho.
There is no way that your post will satisfy everyone, and you dont want to be perceived as going directly against anyone..

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 09, 2014, 10:00:53 PM »
You can make a post on DDMS but be very very cautious. It is asking for trouble imho.
There is no way that your post will satisfy everyone, and you dont want to be perceived as going directly against anyone..
+1. That's why I hold just leave it alone.

Offline Super Speed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #390 on: July 09, 2014, 10:03:58 PM »
He can post something to the effect that there was a KK recently against MS so I called the Rabbonim to clarify what they signed and start listing what each Rav said, without adding much of his own stuff and feel free to call them yourselves to clarify.

Offline Baruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 09, 2014, 10:13:08 PM »
Meaning the bonus is intended to get people to open their own cards, not for credit card farms to advertise that they will pimp out your SSN without you ever having to deal with a credit card.
Love the lingo!

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 09, 2014, 10:16:03 PM »
Too much work.
I would have thought that the shopper would have loved to do a full blown interview with you. Did you offer?

Offline avrumy22

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 09, 2014, 10:17:58 PM »
Too much work.

If you dont say anything, then before you know if they will be making asifias and stuff about this. (although I dont think they'll shlep all the way to CLE to protest outside your house.  Then again they may want to burn the last of their miles  :P)

In all seriousness, I believe it should be address, bec obviously the KK was totally misleading.

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 09, 2014, 10:19:06 PM »
I think it would risk chilul hashem to write that leading rabbis endorse evolve and GC, which B'einei Ha'Umos can be considered unethical. I'm sure if you'd ask R Kamentzki he wouldn't want you to publicize in his name on your blog that is read by many many einam yehudim.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 09, 2014, 10:19:20 PM »
I would have thought that the shopper would have loved to do a full blown interview with you. Did you offer?
+1 but OTOH they wouldnt want to offend the anti MS warriors..

Offline george

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 09, 2014, 10:19:46 PM »
IMO if you want to counteract the misleading nature of the KK, you should do it by going directly through ads in the shopper and/or getting rabbonim to force organizer to retract.
Making a DDMS post will not be effective damage control in this case. A blog post can be countered with another blog post, but a blog post won't do the trick here IMO.
Plus, a DDMS post will only put the limelight on Dan and not it a good way.
Going after this guy directly will be more effective and it won't show any trace of Dan being behind it.

Offline menachem_m

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 09, 2014, 10:29:39 PM »
Without two sides arguing together in front of each other, you can convince anyone of anything or get any psak you want. See Rambam, Us Law & common sense.

I wonder if people getting heterim to MS at Staples, bother to tell their Rov that a) Chase is loosing a lot of money for this particular transaction, and b) it's not there intention that 97% of your spending should be at the 5x stores.

Not saying it's ossur. Could still very well be muter. Just wondering if people generally trouble themselves to mention these two (indisputable?) facts or they conveniently forget.

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 09, 2014, 10:37:43 PM »
Without two sides arguing together in front of each other, you can convince anyone of anything or get any psak you want. See Rambam, Us Law & common sense.

I wonder if people getting heterim to MS at Staples, bother to tell their Rov that a) Chase is loosing a lot of money for this particular transaction, and b) it's not there intention that 97% of your spending should be at the 5x stores.

Not saying it's ossur. Could still very well be muter. Just wondering if people generally trouble themselves to mention these two (indisputable?) facts or they conveniently forget.
They go to the Rav because they have Yiras Shamayim. I'm sure they include all the facts, they want to know if it's the right thing to do.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 09, 2014, 10:40:34 PM »
Rabbi Kahan is well aware of the 5x MS situation.
So is Chase.