Author Topic: Which desktop/laptop should I get?  (Read 6162 times)

Offline Shmueli

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Which desktop/laptop should I get?
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2023, 06:32:55 AM »
I don't know much about laptops, but I need a new one.
Everyday usage... Would prefer 1TB of storage... Looking to spend less than $600.

Is this a good deal? Or better to wait for Black Friday?

Thanks

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/inspiron-15-laptop/spd/inspiron-15-3525-laptop/cai153525w11p1c528
Currently priced at $499 (instead of "$709")
Ramat Eshkol Sukkos (and summer) Rental!

$100 if you refer me to someone who takes it!!

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbrake, Lightshot
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2023, 06:37:42 AM »
I don't know much about laptops, but I need a new one.
Everyday usage... Would prefer 1TB of storage... Looking to spend less than $600.

Is this a good deal? Or better to wait for Black Friday?

Thanks

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/inspiron-15-laptop/spd/inspiron-15-3525-laptop/cai153525w11p1c528
Currently priced at $499 (instead of "$709")
That's worth about $500 (not $709). There's no guarantee that the system with 1TB will be the one that will get the Black Friday discounts, and if it does, you may save another $50. Is it worth waiting for such a sofek?
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Shmueli

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2023, 06:42:48 AM »
Got it, thanks.

I don't need this one specifically...
I just want any half decent Dell laptop with 1TB.

I would imagine they would have some better deals on Black Fri for 1TB laptops within my price range, no?

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbrake, Lightshot
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2023, 06:45:54 AM »
Got it, thanks.

I don't need this one specifically...
I just want any half decent Dell laptop with 1TB.

I would imagine they would have some better deals on Black Fri for 1TB laptops within my price range, no?
Possible but not guaranteed, from my experience. And the discount is tiny compared to the discounts you can get all year. The computer that sells retail for $300, you can usually find for $220 and sometimes $180, so Black Friday it will be $160. The retail $700 is available all year between $480 and $550, and on Black Friday you see it for $450. Plus not every computer gets a Black friday discount. You get my drift?
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Shmueli

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2023, 07:26:18 AM »
Possible but not guaranteed, from my experience. And the discount is tiny compared to the discounts you can get all year. The computer that sells retail for $300, you can usually find for $220 and sometimes $180, so Black Friday it will be $160. The retail $700 is available all year between $480 and $550, and on Black Friday you see it for $450. Plus not every computer gets a Black friday discount. You get my drift?
Yes got it Thanks

Offline Shmueli

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2023, 07:58:11 AM »
Would this one be worth paying an extra $50 for?
Seems similar, just a better processor and graphics card....

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/inspiron-15-laptop/spd/inspiron-15-3520-laptop/nn3520gknqs

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2023, 08:13:58 AM »
Would this one be worth paying an extra $50 for?
Seems similar, just a better processor and graphics card....

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/inspiron-15-laptop/spd/inspiron-15-3520-laptop/nn3520gknqs
A better processor, yes, but where do you get that the graphics (not "card", they are both integrated) is better?
Also, the cheaper one will get you better battery life assuming everything else is equal.
Ask yourself if you do anything that maxes out the processor, so that getting a better one is more important. If not, get the cheaper one. Indeed, if not for your storage requirement, I would assume you don't need as good a processor as the cheaper one has, much less the better one.

Offline Shmueli

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2023, 08:15:53 AM »
A better processor, yes, but where do you get that the graphics (not "card", they are both integrated) is better?
Also, the cheaper one will get you better battery life assuming everything else is equal.
Ask yourself if you do anything that maxes out the processor, so that getting a better one is more important. If not, get the cheaper one. Indeed, if not for your storage requirement, I would assume you don't need as good a processor as the cheaper one has, much less the better one.
Ok, thanks for your help!

Offline ajs625

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2023, 12:37:55 PM »
Looking for a laptop that is light and portable for work use. I currently have a Surface Laptop 1. I am considering Lenovo X1 Carbon. Are there better options that are a bit cheaper that I should consider?

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2023, 10:12:08 AM »
Looking for a laptop that is light and portable for work use. I currently have a Surface Laptop 1. I am considering Lenovo X1 Carbon. Are there better options that are a bit cheaper that I should consider?
It's a good computer but overpriced IMHO. Battery life has suffered since Intel 12. If you find a good price, try a LG Gram, Samsung Galaxy Book3 Pro (different sizes though), Acer Swift 14 (not Swift 3), HP Dragonfly, Latitude 7000 series... but the X1 Carbon is good too.

Offline Elee

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2024, 10:47:10 PM »
My wife does photography heavily use of adobe Photoshop and lightroom classic currently on hp 15t-dy200 laptop i7 16 ram  512 ssd need to upgrade storage a LOT. performance falling a little short, would you recommend to just upgrade memory  and storage or get something new altogether. Any good recommendations laptop or desktop?  Anyone in Lakewood that could upgrade memory  and storage ?

Offline DaasTora

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2024, 11:39:36 PM »
My wife does photography heavily use of adobe Photoshop and lightroom classic currently on hp 15t-dy200 laptop i7 16 ram  512 ssd need to upgrade storage a LOT. performance falling a little short, would you recommend to just upgrade memory  and storage or get something new altogether. Any good recommendations laptop or desktop?  Anyone in Lakewood that could upgrade memory  and storage ?
Maybe post here https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=19284.2160 it’s a more active thread.
“Never underestimate the power of…stupidity”
- Robert Heinlein

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2024, 03:56:13 AM »
Storage is cheap even if you need a big upgrade. Does your laptop have Nvidia graphics? Otherwise, it is astounding that you are using Photoshop and not falling more than a little short.

Offline Elee

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2024, 10:46:19 AM »
Storage is cheap even if you need a big upgrade. Does your laptop have Nvidia graphics? Otherwise, it is astounding that you are using Photoshop and not falling more than a little short.

Regular ilter iris xe

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2024, 12:48:55 PM »
Regular ilter iris xe
Photoshop recommends an MX series Nvidia graphics at a minimum (they used to require even more, but it apparently was for their 3D stuff, which they since moved to a different program).
If you want smooth Photoshop usage, a budget gaming laptop that has good colors should be good for you. If you want to throw money at your old laptop, be my guest, but don't expect Photoshop not to krechtz anyway.
Do you want a specific laptop recommendation, or recommendations for RAM / SSD?

Offline Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2024, 01:26:45 PM »
I have $300 CAD in Amex Canada Dell credits that need to be used in Canada, and I'm cancelling one of the cards soon, so I want to use the credit. DW needs a new laptop. Very basic usage- word, excel, gmail, and some Zoom calls. Only thing I insist on is a USB-C port so it can connect to my dock.

I don't love anything that Dell currently has on sale, but found a few DPs that Dell Refurbished does trigger Amex Canada's credits.

Thoughts on these options?

(I'm leaving out the SSD sizes as I don't really care about that. Even the lowest at 256GB is enough for DW.)

New Inspiron 15 Laptop - $749.99 CAD
- 13th Gen Intel Core i5-1334U
- 16 GB RAM
- 15.6", FHD 1920x1080
- Obviously this might be the safest option here as it's new as it's not refurbished, but IDK how the Inspiron build quality is. I've tried some of the older Inspirons and found that they felt cheaply built. I have a Latitude 7420 and love it.

Dell Latitude 5510 Refurbished - $599 CAD
- Refurbished Grade A
- 10th Gen Intel Core i5-10310U
- 8 GB RAM
- 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080)
- I don't love the 8 GB RAM, or the slightly older processor.

Dell Latitude 5410 Refurbished - $579 CAD
- Refurbished Grade B
- 10th Gen Intel Core i5-10310U
- 16 GB RAM
- 14" FHD (1920 x 1080)
- I'm hesitant about the Grade B refurbished, and the older processor.

Dell Latitude 5520 Refurbished - $589 CAD
- Refurbished Grade B
- 11th Gen Intel Core i5-1135G7
- 16 GB RAM
- 15.6" HD display 1366 x 768
- The display would be a deal breaker for me personally, but DW doesn't care that it's not FHD, and her current laptop isn't. I would still put some value on FHD though.
- Better processor than the last option, but I still don't love that it's grade B.

Would appreciate any help here. Thanks!

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2024, 02:19:08 AM »
I have $300 CAD in Amex Canada Dell credits that need to be used in Canada
etc
A few points to address that will hopefully be helpful.
1. Build quality on Inspirons are not equal. It depends on the material use - the 3000s are mostly plastic with some exceptions (as I recently learned here). For that matter, neither are the Latitudes - there are 3000 series Latitudes that also are plastic. You are lechora not looking to match the Latitude 7000's build quality, so metal should be enough. Note that the 750 Inspiron you list has a metal build.
2. The 10310U is the last processor built on Intel 14nm. As such, it is significantly more ancient than the 11th gen, which was the first proper processor built on 10nm (the 10xxGx was a work in progress).

It seems to me that 160 CAD is too little to sacrifice on the modern hardware, especially because it is metal. Fwiw, I looked around on Dell Canada and didn't find anything particularly interesting. Though I will say that I do not see any advantage of the CAD 580 Latitude versus this CAD 359 model with the same i5-8365U (virtually identical to the 10310U - take my word for it): https://www.dellrefurbished.ca/item/dell-latitude-5400-62267e84/dell-latitude-5400/1.html?child=dell-latitude-5400-000087&p=1
Now spending double on a new model which will be used for office work is a better question. I can see both options as good ones (359 and 750, not really seeing the other options).

Offline Definitions2

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2024, 10:23:49 AM »
What difference does it make it make if metal or plastic?
What does build quality refer to?

Online HudZ

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Torah
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2024, 10:56:54 AM »
What difference does it make it make if metal or plastic?
Quality. Wouldn't you want a laptop that's more withstanding? If it falls etc...

What does build quality refer to?
Metal, plastic. Better metal...
אין עוד מלבדו

Offline Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2024, 11:24:40 AM »
Thank you for this response!! Super helpful.

1. Build quality on Inspirons are not equal. It depends on the material use - the 3000s are mostly plastic with some exceptions (as I recently learned here). For that matter, neither are the Latitudes - there are 3000 series Latitudes that also are plastic. You are lechora not looking to match the Latitude 7000's build quality, so metal should be enough. Note that the 750 Inspiron you list has a metal build.
Good point. Though my Latitude 7420 appears to be 100% plastic but still feels much more solid than most cheaper consumer laptops that I've used (for example, I also have a metal Surface Go Laptop, which doesn't feel nearly as good as my plastic Latitude 7420). The hinge on the Latitude is much tighter, typing on the keyboard feels totally different as the keys feel more durable and have more travel (less clickety-clack sound than a cheaper build, for lack of a better description), and the trackpad feels better. I imagine it'll hold up better too- I've been using it for 8-10 hrs a day for over two years, and it still feels new. I'm not sure that would be the case with a cheaper consumer laptop, even if it was metal, no?

2. The 10310U is the last processor built on Intel 14nm. As such, it is significantly more ancient than the 11th gen, which was the first proper processor built on 10nm (the 10xxGx was a work in progress).
This is exactly why I wanted your professional opinion here (let's face it, I knew you were the one would would answer :) ). There's no way I'd know that myself!

Though I will say that I do not see any advantage of the CAD 580 Latitude versus this CAD 359 model with the same i5-8365U (virtually identical to the 10310U - take my word for it)
Now spending double on a new model which will be used for office work is a better question. I can see both options as good ones (359 and 750, not really seeing the other options).
Again, thank you for your expertise on those two processors! I did not know that, but now that you said that, I looked here and the difference does seem negligible.

The 359 CAD option that you linked now seems to be 319 CAD, so maybe I'll just pull the trigger on that one. After Dell credits, my cost for that one would be 60 CAD (we have a 13% sales tax here), whereas my post-credit cost for the new Inspiron will be 547 CAD. The 487 CAD difference doesn't seem worthwhile. Worst case scenario, if the refurbished one doesn't work out, I can  give it away and then probably find something perfectly adequate in the 600-700 CAD range once I'm looking at all manufacturers, so worst case scenario I'm only out $100-200 for trying the cheaper route. I think that makes sense, no?

Again, thanks so much for your help!

ETA: Now I see why you said $359 and not $319- I was looking at Grade B, and you were referring to Grade A. I assume the $50 is worthwhile to get Grade A...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2024, 11:36:51 AM by Yehudaa »