Author Topic: jersey care  (Read 248764 times)

Offline mrcream

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, United Premier 1K
Re: jersey care
« Reply #1140 on: June 02, 2024, 04:38:31 PM »
Thanks everyone for your answers. Yes so in fact my wife did have an additional primary policy from her father but that doesn’t stretch onto the new baby because his plan (or maybe all, idk) doesn’t stretch to grandkids. So she got JerseyCare to cover the baby costs in hospital. The Dr.s bill (with her father) was covered, the hospital for child was partially covered by JerseyCare the rest out of pocket from hospital BIZZARE.

B”H it was uncomplicated birth and more or less cheap compared to what would’ve been if C’v there was any setbacks. So I want to protect myself for next time just in case. I guess what @gmd said is best- Ask the doctor to hold off on billing until the hospital bills, Then Jerseycare as the secondary ins will cover the hospital bill and that goes towards the deductible, and then afterwards the doctor will bill which the primary ins should cover.

Is that best and smartest way to go about it? Pardon my ignorance fellow DDFers lol

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #1141 on: June 02, 2024, 04:53:19 PM »
Thanks everyone for your answers. Yes so in fact my wife did have an additional primary policy from her father but that doesn’t stretch onto the new baby because his plan (or maybe all, idk) doesn’t stretch to grandkids. So she got JerseyCare to cover the baby costs in hospital. The Dr.s bill (with her father) was covered, the hospital for child was partially covered by JerseyCare the rest out of pocket from hospital BIZZARE.

B”H it was uncomplicated birth and more or less cheap compared to what would’ve been if C’v there was any setbacks. So I want to protect myself for next time just in case. I guess what @gmd said is best- Ask the doctor to hold off on billing until the hospital bills, Then Jerseycare as the secondary ins will cover the hospital bill and that goes towards the deductible, and then afterwards the doctor will bill which the primary ins should cover.

Is that best and smartest way to go about it? Pardon my ignorance fellow DDFers lol
Did she get on JerseyCare that time, or just the baby?
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline nucheiner

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: June 02, 2024, 05:01:00 PM »
I am hearing from people that there isn't much of a reason to pay medical bills in NJ. I see this as a serious ethics question. But practically, there doesn't seem like they have much leverage to collect. This may be a good avenue if you feel that the bill is erroneous.

Offline mrcream

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: June 02, 2024, 05:03:18 PM »
Did she get on JerseyCare that time, or just the baby?
Yes she was on it, and thus the baby gets automatically no?

Offline mrcream

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: June 02, 2024, 05:03:51 PM »
I am hearing from people that there isn't much of a reason to pay medical bills in NJ. I see this as a serious ethics question. But practically, there doesn't seem like they have much leverage to collect. This may be a good avenue if you feel that the bill is erroneous.
Interesting, this wouldn’t get sent to collections?

Offline etech0

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #1145 on: June 02, 2024, 05:06:24 PM »
Yes she was on it, and thus the baby gets automatically no?
Yes, for sure for 60 days (though you need to notify them of the birth and might need to fill out an application for the baby after)
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1146 on: June 02, 2024, 05:15:48 PM »
Interesting, this wouldn’t get sent to collections?
FWIU only doctors not hospitals
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: June 02, 2024, 05:29:36 PM »

Yup, I know of a guy who ignored dozens of medical bills, till he got sued by a hospital. Ended up settling for about 25% of bill.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline notyettaken

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: June 02, 2024, 10:09:44 PM »
the hospital for child was partially covered by JerseyCare the rest out of pocket from hospital BIZZARE.

as far as i know if the patient they are billing for (in this case the baby) has jerseycare they CANNOT bill you at all. Makes no difference why jerseycare didn't pay. call your hmo (although the baby probably was on straight Medicaid so call them)

This is not an ethical problem they are not allowed to by law.

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: June 02, 2024, 11:12:43 PM »
as far as i know if the patient they are billing for (in this case the baby) has jerseycare they CANNOT bill you at all. Makes no difference why jerseycare didn't pay. call your hmo (although the baby probably was on straight Medicaid so call them)

This is not an ethical problem they are not allowed to by law.

We once had an issue with out-of-state urgent care. Called HMO in advance to make sure it was covered, but turned out it wasn't (DROPR), and got bills for over a year afterwards. Eventually it was sent to collections, and I wrote to them that it's illegal to bill and we never heard back since.

Offline notyettaken

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: June 02, 2024, 11:26:58 PM »
We once had an issue with out-of-state urgent care. Called HMO in advance to make sure it was covered, but turned out it wasn't (DROPR), and got bills for over a year afterwards. Eventually it was sent to collections, and I wrote to them that it's illegal to bill and we never heard back since.
In this case they may have been allowed to bill.

What i wrote is for places that take Medicaid in state, or out of state hospitals that take Medicaid for their state have to accept OOS Medicaid for ER visits.

Places that don't accept Medicaid in state or anywhere OOS (besides ER) I've heard both ways.

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: June 02, 2024, 11:50:26 PM »
In this case they may have been allowed to bill.

What i wrote is for places that take Medicaid in state, or out of state hospitals that take Medicaid for their state have to accept OOS Medicaid for ER visits.

Places that don't accept Medicaid in state or anywhere OOS (besides ER) I've heard both ways.

This was a hospital-affiliated urgent care.

Offline lakewood34

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: Yesterday at 01:47:14 AM »

I thought jersey care has no deductibles and you don't have out of pocket costs as long as the provider takes jersey care. If you for example have a doctor that does not take jersey care and a hospital that does for births ( a common scenario) then you should have the doctor wait to bill and have the hospital bill first.This should take care of the deductible on the private insurance and they should cover the doctor who billed second as you have covered your deductible from the hospital bill.You  then can bill jersey care for the hospital .
However your case for jersey care only covering part of the hospital costs makes no sense as there are no deductibles on jersey care (of course the provider must take jersey care)