Topic Wiki

Please, when posting a link to a laptop listing, make sure to include the price at time of posting. It helps.
Requesting help with a purchase? Please post here: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=135662.msg2794782#msg2794782

Dell:
Precision - Very powerful desktop replacements - great warranty, ridiculously expensive - Usually overpriced or overkill

Latitude - Good Laptops - Great warranty! Highly recommended for any Business environment - Sometimes expensive.

Vostro  - Lower end Business Machines - Better Priced - still durable - Usually 1 Year warranty.

XPS - The nicer looking dell machines, Some are better than others...

Inspiron - YMMV Every model is different

(Plain) Insprion Series - Dells lowest end laptop
(R) Insprion Series - Perfect Home use, dependable, decent build quality, recommended
(Z) Insprion Series - A little slimmer than the R series, Some are Ultrabooks (Very often don't include Optical Drives)

HP:

Spectre - Top of the line personal (dragonfly is the top of the line for business) - lightest laptops, and beautiful!

Pavilion - YMMV (Some better than others)

Probook - Stable durable business systems - Usually a little on the heavy side.

Elitebook - Business Higher end systems, usually pretty expensive

ENVY - Used to be the HP sleek and nicer systems, they pretty much replaced most of the standard pavilions now and call them either ENVY or sleekbooks

Sleekbook - like it sounds slimmer line of laptops

Lenovo:

Thinkpad Series - Very Dependable Business Machine, Expensive (Not Pretty but Durable)

IdeaPad Series -

S Series
U Series - Usually the slimmer line Ultrabooks, Doesn't always include DVD Drive
Y Series - Nice machines with good specs and features (Cool Backlit Keyboards)
Z Series - Step up from the G Series, all around decent build, priced nicely, great home use laptop
G Series - Lower end

Samsung:

Series 3
Series 5
Series 7
Series 9 - The nicest, sleekest looking laptops I've seen in a long time - Can pass for a Macbook!!

HT: Dh Data Recovery & Name Changed

A great post by caliheat:
I believe that there are many factors when deciding what laptop to purchase.
1) What is your intended use and necessary features. e.g. light use vs. heavy use & optical drive, computer speed etc.
2) As mentioned several times in this thread, RAM itself is very easy to upgrade after you purchase.
3) Brand - IMHO this is pretty important as well - which do your prefer vs. which brand do people recommend.
4) Price - you should decide a price range that best suits your needs.
5) Operating System - Many people like myself prefer Windows 7 vs. 8.1, so this would be another consideration.
6) Warranty - does it include 1 year or more, cost for extending warranty.
7) Detailed Specs:
  Processor  - model and speed i3, i5, & i7 2.0 Ghz, 3.0 Ghz etc.
  RAM - This IMHO should be minimum 8GB, especially if running 8.1, however can be added easily.
  Hard Drive - SATA vs. SSD, the latter being much faster. SATA itself offers 5400 RPM vs. 7200 RPM again, the latter being faster.
  Screen Size - this is a personal preference as you can always attach a larger screen in an office setting.
  Battery & Weight - overall laptop weight preference & battery life.
  Graphics - Integrated graphics vs. dedicated graphics, e.g. Intel 4400 vs. Nvidia GTX etc.

In summary, you have to decide what are you priorities, what can be upgraded and what you are flexible on.

Excellent article about the differences between the Intel processor suffixes.

Excellent "Laptop Buying Guide" by @dailykasha, written for Black Friday 2021, updated for holidays 2023

Author Topic: Laptop Deals Master Thread  (Read 3219012 times)

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
Re: Laptop Deals Master Thread
« Reply #14480 on: February 26, 2024, 11:54:51 AM »
Some of the reviews say it's a refurb
No personal knowledge (except what the listing says - which it doesn't say refurb) - but apparently the reid on Slickdeals says it is not (when they originally thought it was). If anyone gets one, post back here. You can always return it.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline searchingFire

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14481 on: February 26, 2024, 01:27:53 PM »
@searchingFire
This is a "feature review" in case you haven't seen it. Also decide if worth returning to BB and buying for $100 less at Amazon.

ASUS VivoBook 16 Laptop, 16” WUXGA (1920 x 1200) 16:10 Display, AMD Ryzen 9 7940HS CPU, AMD Radeon™ Graphics, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Windows 11 Home, Cool Silver, M1605XA-EB96 ($799.99 )

The laptop came back!
It has been a joy to use so far. Windows 11 starts up in around 5 seconds or less, not more!

The speed in which applications open is incredibly. I usually wait 2 seconds so far and a program opens.

The machine is very fast and performative. When I want to game, I just turn on "standard" mode because most of the time I am in "whisper" mode and everything just runs so smoothly in "whisper" mode. I can play GTA V around 50 fps in "whisper" mode on high settings!

If I turn on "standard" mode then it is 60 FPS. I use AFMF (AMD Fluid Motion Frames) and a lot of games become playable and some even on high settings!

It's incredible, AFMF is available for this processor (7940HS iGPU). ROBLOX on the "automatic" preset runs on 60 FPS so far for most of the games that I have played, even on "whisper" mode!

As for fan noise which is the most important: as I suspected, it produces LESS noise than a gaming laptop. On idle, the fan is practically off (it's lightly breathing and it is very hard to hear whereas a gaming laptop would be blowing air out even during idle-normal usage, quiet mode operation and you can hear it if you're in a high focus session like coding). It feels like a fan less machine when you are on "whisper" mode and just doing normal tasks (not gaming). When you are gaming, you can hear the machine breath but it's just that: breathing. It's not like gaming laptops where it blows air out. When I want more fire power, I use "standard" mode which adjusts the fans according to what you are using and it will be blowing air out similar to a gaming laptop. In most normal cases, I still don't hear the fan at all. Virtually fan less.

Compared to a gaming laptop, this is so portable and discreet. No one knows it has gaming power. It looks like a business laptop whereas you don't really get that benefit with the traditional gaming laptop. I definitely think with the noise profile, the weight, and performance that this processor makes a ton of games very playable (and if the games have modders modding on them, you can even play in high settings from what I've seen). It seems like iGPU will become even more powerful in the future with AMD investing heavily into the technology, I predict most people are going to want an iGPU laptop in the future. The noise, heat, performance, discreet look, weight profiles and much more is just so hard to beat with this iGPU setup.

Compared to the Acer Predator Helios Neo 16 laptop that I had previously, it appears this laptop seems better for me so far.

I don't really have much complaints. The HDMI thing, I haven't experienced at all. I don't really use an external monitor though, the laptop screen is so good. I can see everything. The colors don't seem any different to me (I don't know, maybe I'm not color sensitive? NTSC looks beautiful so far or could it be due to the high resolution and screen real estate?) The screen is amazing. I have  so much room and screen real estate with 16" that I am practically immersed in pretty much everything that I do. The keyboard is something else. When I play GTA V in it, in a past Vivobook (5600H) I would be able to feel the heat on the keyboard. I don't seem to feel heat on the keyboard here (but maybe I will notice it later?)

All in all, when I use the laptop it feels like a premium experience. It might be because of the processor making everything so smooth. The surface of the laptop is slippery and cool to the touch, not sure if that's normal in a Vivobook but I remember my past one being more ruggy like a carpet. I enjoy the feeling.

10/10 so far, I may update later but I don't seem to run into any issues so far??? It seems like I may have received a perfect unit or something because when I look at my screen, I do not notice any artifacts or backlight bleeding or even IPS glow???  ;D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 01:32:42 PM by searchingFire »

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #14482 on: February 27, 2024, 03:47:49 AM »
The laptop came back!
Happy that you are happy with it.
Two questions (for my own notes): Can it run RDR2 smoothly? Is it made out of metal or plastic (or both)?
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14483 on: February 27, 2024, 03:52:43 AM »
Gram 17 back at $1000. 13th gen i7, 32GB RAM, TB SSD.
Currently out of stock by my area/shipping, but worth checking back if in the market for a 3lb 17" laptop with great battery life. (OPBx doesn't seem worth it IMHO.)
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-gram-17-laptop-intel-evo-platform-13th-gen-intel-core-i7-with-32gb-ram-1tb-nvme-ssd-black/6559122.p?skuId=6559122

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14484 on: February 27, 2024, 05:06:40 AM »
15.6" Galaxy Book2 Pro 2-in-1, 12th gen i7, 16GB RAM, TB SSD, $850 at BB. One of the lightest 15.6" 2-in-1s you can find, and Evo certified for battery life.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-galaxy-book2-pro-360-2-in-1-15-6-amoled-touch-screen-laptop-intel-12th-gen-evo-core-i7-16gb-ddr5-memory-1tb-ssd-silver/6501593.p?skuId=6501593

Offline searchingFire

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14485 on: February 27, 2024, 01:31:49 PM »
Happy that you are happy with it.
Two questions (for my own notes): Can it run RDR2 smoothly? Is it made out of metal or plastic (or both)?

Seems like it can run RDR2 smoothly:

&t=23s

This is 680M on low settings. Keep in mind the laptop has the current 780M.

Also, my laptop RAM has speeds of 4800 mHz (still faster than DDR4, I believe?) while other models have something faster like 5600 mHz. It can still run GTA V on pretty much high settings.

Also keep in mind, the RDR2 benchmark in the video above is not modded. If you install a modded version of it, it might be able to pull out more performance in terms of an increase in FPS since PC games usually have modders that optimize the game even further so maybe 60 fps is possible on low-medium settings?

Another thing to note is that I don't have RADEON overlay for some reason. I cannot get RADEON overlay to work but I can see my FPS when I alt tab back to the Radeon software. It also seems like I cannot use ReLive feature/record feature (or whatever it is called) of RADEON since this is an APU.

This seems to have an aluminum surface (the part where you touch the keyboard, interact with the laptop) and back cover but I could be wrong but the material feels smooth and slippery to the touch. I had an all plastic laptop before, this laptop surface definitely feels different and much cooler to the touch.

:P :)

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile

Offline bhoaem

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14487 on: March 03, 2024, 11:18:38 PM »
Hi, any recommendations for a laptop? 15"-16" Mainly web based use. Good battery is a plus. Budget $500-$600
Thank you
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 11:24:23 PM by bhoaem »

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14488 on: March 04, 2024, 03:42:55 AM »
Hi, any recommendations for a laptop? 15"-16" Mainly web based use. Good battery is a plus. Budget $500-$600
Thank you
Please use this template when asking for laptop purchase help:
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=135662.msg2794782#msg2794782

Offline yfr bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14489 on: March 04, 2024, 07:59:54 AM »
@mevinyavin maybe give us a few examples of what you want the questions to look like? We get the long winded exhaustive explanatory version but how do you want us to write it compactly?

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14490 on: March 04, 2024, 09:38:21 AM »
@mevinyavin maybe give us a few examples of what you want the questions to look like? We get the long winded exhaustive explanatory version but how do you want us to write it compactly?
sample answer, based exactly on the template:

Usage: basic word processing, web browsing
Size: 15.6-16
Build quality: I'm willing to settle for basic but I want to know how much a metal build will cost me
Shop: Only places that ship to NY (10970) by March 27th
Budget: I wouldn't spend more than $600 no matter what the benefit is
Other: Prefer a backlit keyboard. Battery life should be better than six hours for browsing/word processing, and I would spend up to my budget for better. Strongly prefer non-touchscreen. My mother-in-law thinks Dell is the best company in the universe so I would get a Dell for brownie points (unless the price difference is ridiculous). My friend's cousin gets a 4.375% discount at Schmendrix Computers, in case that matters.

Offline hide4

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14491 on: March 04, 2024, 12:25:54 PM »
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/inspiron-15-laptop/spd/inspiron-15-3525-laptop/nn3525ghhvs

Ryzen 7 16gb 1TBssd $399 very decent deal

I have one in Lakewood for $350. Arrived with damaged box.

1 sold. I have one more with a slightly damaged box for sale at $350 in Lakewood.

Offline bhoaem

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14492 on: March 04, 2024, 11:58:55 PM »

How's this?

Usage: primarily web. Lots of tabs. MS office. Some light programs.
Size: 15 - 16
Build quality: plastic is fine. Better build could be a perk but wouldn't necessarily pay more for it.
Shop: ship to NJ.
Budget: $500 would pay a bit more.
Other: Long Battery life, performance and Matte screen are important . Touch screen is a small bonus but not necessary.

I definitely got more specific using the formula. Hope that helps.
Thanx

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14493 on: March 05, 2024, 12:40:46 AM »
Thank you

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-Ideapad-5-15-6-FHD-IPS-Laptop-AMD-Ryzen-7-5825U-16GB-RAM-512GB-SSD-Abyss-Blue-Windows-11-Home-82SG00BLUS/1147612552?athbdg=L1103&adsRedirect=true

Lenovo Ideapad 5 15.6" Ryzen 7 5825U 16 GB RAM 512GB SSD - $500
Very good price for metal chassis

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14494 on: March 05, 2024, 01:16:57 AM »
How's this?

Usage: primarily web. Lots of tabs. MS office. Some light programs.
Size: 15 - 16
Build quality: plastic is fine. Better build could be a perk but wouldn't necessarily pay more for it.
Shop: ship to NJ.
Budget: $500 would pay a bit more.
Other: Long Battery life, performance and Matte screen are important . Touch screen is a small bonus but not necessary.

I definitely got more specific using the formula. Hope that helps.
Thanx
Best I could find is this but I think you will be very happy with it. Two thoughts: it is almost impossible to confirm matte, and also, asking for matte touchscreens seems to be almost a contradiction (not quite but close enough). This is also a metal build. $500 and the listing says ant-glare/matte by the screen (only listing I saw today that says one way or the other).
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1772712-REG/lenovo_82xf0065us_16_ideapad_slim_5i.html/specs
The one @Chuchum Ainer posted above should get better battery life but who knows regarding the screen?

Consider this but do your own screen research, for $400. This is metal except for a plastic bottom. The Ram is upgradeable if required and it is easy to get in (just opened one last night). It is a darkish blue.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-vivobook-16-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-5800hs-with-12gb-memory-512gb-ssd-quiet-blue/6535990.p?skuId=6535990

If you want you can research the screen on this touch-screen model, for $515. But it is plastic. Also blue.
https://www.costco.com/lenovo-ideapad-slim-3-15.6"-touchscreen-laptop---amd-ryzen-5-7530u---1080p---windows-11---abyss-blue.product.4000154162.html

Probably not available for follow-up questions because today is a Mir meat order day. Ask the other users if you have further questions.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 01:20:36 AM by mevinyavin »

Offline points 99

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14495 on: March 05, 2024, 08:03:47 AM »
These laptops are on sale now on Dell.com Any recomendations which one is better (same price)? I dont know anything about processors etc I see that 1 is smaller, and 1 had double the SSD space

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #14496 on: March 05, 2024, 08:54:20 AM »
2nd one
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //