Topic Wiki

How does each airline handle seat assignments for traveling with minors
[/b][/size]

AA:

AA has an automated system that runs within 15 minutes after a reservation is ticketed, and periodically every day. Keep in mind that it only works if you or your TA haven't selected any seats (you can ask them to remove the seat assignments, and it will assign you seats the next time it runs) and obviously you have no control over which seats you get. They will more likely give you one row across aisles, than two rows behind each other.

United:

United allows to choose any seat yourself, including preferred seats if there aren't enough regular seats nearby
« Last edited by yelped on April 10, 2024, 07:19:17 PM »

Author Topic: New DOT regulation directs airlines to seat kids under 13 near family at no char  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Elikip

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
Read it, they are "urging" "begging" and asking nicely..... No regulation yet

Offline Elikip

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
Read it, they are "urging" "begging" and asking nicely..... No regulation yet
I believe regulation refers to the prohibition to charge for the privilege to have your young child sit next to you.
Of course they won't be able to come through 100% of the time. Different sites used different language in their announcements. From most, it appeared that its binding.
The DOT is also explicit that the obligation applies only when both adults and child are booked in the same class of service

Offline dm123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
I believe regulation refers to the prohibition to charge for the privilege to have your young child sit next to you.
Of course they won't be able to come through 100% of the time. Different sites used different language in their announcements. From most, it appeared that its binding.
The DOT is also explicit that the obligation applies only when both adults and child are booked in the same class of service

Looks like there is no "prohibition to charge" yet, but if airlines don't get it under control in the next few months there will be a DOT-OACP review and possible additional action. That's what I understood from the DOT site notice

Offline yerushabubby

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
I understand requiring the airlines to seat parents and kids together, but why should they have to allow them to choose their seats when the fare class they booked does not allow it?

Offline dsauch

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
anyone travelled with family yet since the announcement? How did it go?
I am planning a budget trip in october 2 adults+2 children, was wondering if BE on United may be in the stars for me

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Looking for advice/expertise/experience

Flying with a large family (2 adults, 7 px under 14), (haven't flown recently)
trying to compare current policies at various airlines (e.g. see here:
https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/most-airlines-still-dont-let-kids-sit-with-their-parents-for-free/ )

1. paying up for regular economy instead of basic, won't really help any. odds of being able to choose that many seats is pretty low, so only by leaving it to their policy completely is there a chance of decent placement.
2. gonna need to rely on airlines that 'guarantee'? any of the others gonna be worth nothing?
3. any point in calling ahead? or they just gonna shuffle it off to day of/GA ?
4. any airlies that will practically help even without 'published' rules?

in practice: comparing some flights now between AA/DL;
it seems almost like AA basic provides more reassurance than DL regular economy...

Online TzviR

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • [b]Learn to play for a kumzits in 5 weeks!
You can see the seat map before you book. So a good first step would be to check if they have seats available next to each other which would solve all your problems

My  prizes from CV :)

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
You can see the seat map before you book. So a good first step would be to check if they have seats available next to each other which would solve all your problems
partially:
If the map does have all 9 seats together today, then you can pay the higher rate to choose it today.
If you want to save the $50*9, or if the map has 'almost' all the seats continuous, then you need them to do it for you, you need to choose none of your party's seats, and at mercy of whatever is available when they deal with it, today's maps not relevant

Offline ShimonFly

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
partially:
If the map does have all 9 seats together today, then you can pay the higher rate to choose it today.
If you want to save the $50*9, or if the map has 'almost' all the seats continuous, then you need them to do it for you, you need to choose none of your party's seats, and at mercy of whatever is available when they deal with it, today's maps not relevant
We flew once LGA-DCA on AA basic 6 people including a few kids, they automatically assigned us seats together around a day after booking

Offline Mordyk

• View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
Flying with spirit. (yes, I would understand if Im booted from DDF)  what are the chances I end up together as a family if I dont pay? does it make a difference the age of the kids?
#TYH

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
We flew once LGA-DCA on AA basic 6 people including a few kids, they automatically assigned us seats together around a day after booking
this in the last 2 years? (since the new policies)?
So they don't wait for the day of to set that up?

Did you have to contact them to ask about it?

Offline ShimonFly

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
this in the last 2 years? (since the new policies)?
So they don't wait for the day of to set that up?

Did you have to contact them to ask about it?
Was in October 2022. Booked around 2-3 weeks before departure, around a day after booking they automatically assigned us the whole last row.

Online TzviR

• View Profile
    • [b]Learn to play for a kumzits in 5 weeks!
If you want to save the $50*9
I was really focusing on this, saying that it could be a solution, you need to check. I wasn't providing a solution for a BE ticket.
1. paying up for regular economy instead of basic, won't really help any.

My  prizes from CV :)

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
I was really focusing on this, saying that it could be a solution, you need to check. I wasn't providing a solution for a BE ticket.
Fair.
relevance remains mostly for where
If the map does have all 9 seats together today, ...
...if the map has 'almost' all the seats continuous,
bichlal,
since I first posted, I see (at least with AA)
1. @ShimonFly 's experience, that their booking is earlier, not at the gate (so availability is closer to what you see now)
2. that the upsell for choosing seats (per segment) can be well below the $50/pax of regular economy

Online Sammy82

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Reminds me of a story with my friend. A few years ago (prob before the law) he was flying on a LCA and they broke up the family (i think he had 6 kids at the time, all young) all over the plane. His wife was begging the ticket agent, almost crying. But they kept saying its a full flight, there's no way around it, u should have paid for guaranteed seats, and so on. He finally whispers to her to stop and he'll handle it. They get to the gate, he goes the gate agent with a big smile, and very loudly makes a huge scene so all of the other passengers around could hear, thanking the airline for separating him and his kids because the last time thru flew, they drove him crazy, and now he will have no choice but not be able to deal with them.....
Somehow they were switch and all sat together. He doesn't know if the GA realized how dumb it would be to keep them all separate or if the other passengers complained but whatever it was, it worked. Mission accomplished.

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
AA has an automated system that runs within 15 minutes after a reservation is ticketed, and periodically every day. Keep in mind that it only works if you or your TA haven't selected any seats (you can ask them to remove the seat assignments, and it will assign you seats the next time it runs) and obviously you have no control over which seats you get. They will more likely give you one row across aisles, than two rows behind each other.

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
AA has an automated system that runs within 15 minutes after a reservation is ticketed, and periodically every day. Keep in mind that it only works if you or your TA haven't selected any seats, and obviously you have no control over which seats you get. They will more likely give you one row across aisles, than two rows behind each other.
cool.
do we know if/what system any other airlines have?

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
cool.
do we know if/what system any other airlines have?
Good Wiki idea. United allows to choose any seat yourself, including preferred seats if there aren't enough regular seats nearby. Much better system for consumers.

Offline ShimonFly

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Yup, we got same row across aisle