Author Topic: PSA: Back up your data !!! (aka Avoiding Data Recovery - Any Questions?)  (Read 8008 times)

Offline Jojo202

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Back up your data !!! (aka Avoiding Data Recovery - Any Questions?)
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2023, 11:13:37 PM »
1. I have a hard drive from a laptop that broke a couple of years ago (the drive is presumably not the problem - it wouldn't turn on).
How likely is it that I can get my files out by just plugging it in with a USB cable?
If it's a decent shot, which cable? The laptop was a Toshiba Satellite C855-S5194.

I think this cable should work for you:
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-SATA-USB-Cable-USB3S2SAT3CB/dp/B00HJZJI84/

2. Is there any way to know when a hard drive might become a problem? I've got a couple of SeaGate external drives of varying ages.
S.M.A.R.T. Monitoring:
I think its here:
https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-legacy-support/

3. Do USBs, memory cards, or any other media also stop working over time.
Resounding YES (probably even worse than Hard Drives)
[I'll let Bard take it from here]:
Yes, all storage media, including USBs, memory cards, and hard drives, can stop working over time due to various factors. While the specific reasons might differ, the eventual degradation is inevitable. Here's a breakdown:
Flash Memory Cycles: These devices use flash memory, which has a limited number of write/erase cycles. Each time you save or delete data, it counts as a cycle. Once the limit is reached, the memory cells can malfunction, leading to data loss or corruption.
Data Leakage: Over time, even when not in use, the electrical charge stored in flash memory cells can slowly leak, potentially corrupting stored data. This risk increases with higher temperatures.
-
To anyone who may be more knowledgeable out there, please correct me if I am mistaken

Online mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2023, 09:45:37 AM »
I think this cable should work for you:
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-SATA-USB-Cable-USB3S2SAT3CB/dp/B00HJZJI84/
S.M.A.R.T. Monitoring:
I think its here:
https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-legacy-support/
Resounding YES (probably even worse than Hard Drives)
[I'll let Bard take it from here]:
Yes, all storage media, including USBs, memory cards, and hard drives, can stop working over time due to various factors. While the specific reasons might differ, the eventual degradation is inevitable. Here's a breakdown:
Flash Memory Cycles: These devices use flash memory, which has a limited number of write/erase cycles. Each time you save or delete data, it counts as a cycle. Once the limit is reached, the memory cells can malfunction, leading to data loss or corruption.
Data Leakage: Over time, even when not in use, the electrical charge stored in flash memory cells can slowly leak, potentially corrupting stored data. This risk increases with higher temperatures.
-
To anyone who may be more knowledgeable out there, please correct me if I am mistaken
1. Without checking, anything Toshiba brand should need a SATA to USB cable. Startech is a good brand; I used one for a few years. (It never broke - someone borrowed it and didn't return it.) There are cheaper ones - I've payed $7 for an ORICO (also good brand) 2.5" enclosure that will work. (This one is $6.)
ORICO 2.5" Hard Drive Enclosure, 5Gbps USB 3.0 Tool-Free External Hard Drive Enclosure for 2.5 inch 7mm/9.5mm SATA HDD & SSD, Support UASP, with USB Cable.(Blue) ($79.99 )

2. Any S.M.A.R.T. monitor will do, it doesn't need to be Seagates. This one will work for any drive:
https://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup/
I currently use CrystalDiskInfo. (And HOW have I already written 33TB of data to my SSD?) https://sourceforge.net/projects/crystaldiskinfo/files/9.2.1/CrystalDiskInfo9_2_1.exe/download

3. Those smaller varieties of drive you mentioned are quicker subject to problems with the way the drive is read Ias well as the regular flash memory problems). For example, you can have a perfectly usable Sansa player, but when the 30-pin connection decays even a bit, you have no way of getting to the data. This doesn't mean some pro might not be able to access the data, but they charge big bucks for that.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 10:53:55 AM by mevinyavin »
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2024, 08:59:08 PM »
Thank you (to both of you). Neither of you mentioned how likely it is to work now, though...

Mevinyavin: So the enclosure is an adapter to the cable it comes with?

"Any word can mean anything! By giving words new meanings, ordinary English can become an exclusionary code!" -Cal.&Hob.

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2024, 02:52:05 AM »
Popping in here to pour one out for Toshiba. Loved my Toshiba laptop and 1tb external hd back in the day.

You can buy either the USB to sata wire or the enclosure. Equally good, personally the single sata wire is what I'd get, unless you plan on keeping that drive and using it.

I rate the chances of data recovery very high.
And it's a $7 investment to try...

Online mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2024, 08:58:38 AM »
I rate the chances of data recovery very high.
And it's a $7 investment to try...
This.

Thank you (to both of you). Neither of you mentioned how likely it is to work now, though...

Mevinyavin: So the enclosure is an adapter to the cable it comes with?
The only important part of the enclosure is that connector at the end with SATA on one side and USB Type-B mini on the other (it comes with a cable for that to regular type-A). The rest of the case is a bonus.
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2024, 01:33:41 AM »
The prices I'm seeing are "-31% $10.99" for the cable and $11.99 for the enclosure.
"Any word can mean anything! By giving words new meanings, ordinary English can become an exclusionary code!" -Cal.&Hob.

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2024, 04:17:27 AM »
The prices I'm seeing are "-31% $10.99" for the cable and $11.99 for the enclosure.

https://a.co/d/2C2P58m $7.52 at the time of this writing

Online mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2024, 05:11:29 AM »
Was accurate on December 21st. Today, this one is $7:
ORICO 2.5 inch External Hard Drive Enclosure USB 3.0 to SATA III for 7mm and 9.5mm SATA HDD SSD Tool Free [UASP Supported] Black (25PW1-U3) ($39.99 )

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2024, 11:50:20 PM »
Already ordered the enclosure for $12 last night. (I do plan to make use of it if it still works. If it does, it should have a decent amount
of space left plus whatever can be freed up by deleting anything only useful when running a PC off it, such as the Windows OS).

(An offer of free Prime for a month helped me avoid adding an item to hit free shipping. If you
consider the cost of a threshold-reaching item to be reduced by the shipping amount you'd be
paying anyway, it can be hard to pass up... I just hope it's easy to cancel the subscription.)

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2024, 06:31:32 PM »
The drive has been in a fairly cold location. Should I try to warm it up first or is that irrelevant?

Anything I need to know about changing the permissions on the files?

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2024, 10:40:30 PM »
Keep us updated! The suspense is killing me

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2024, 08:20:55 AM »
It was delivered on Sunday, but I haven't opened the package yet. I'll probably do it today.

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2024, 12:31:31 PM »
I opened it. The hard drive can't fit into the enclosure - it's a little too wide. I could try to unscrew the metal case that surrounds it, but it appears to also be too long to put down flat into the enclosure and then slide into the connection, and I don't want to try angling it in.

If I can take apart the enclosure, that'd work - it's just a plastic shell besides for the adapter bit in the front... Or is
it easier to return it to Amazon (consigning it to the invisible network of post-return merchants) and order the cable?

Online mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2024, 04:01:46 AM »
I opened it. The hard drive can't fit into the enclosure - it's a little too wide. I could try to unscrew the metal case that surrounds it, but it appears to also be too long to put down flat into the enclosure and then slide into the connection, and I don't want to try angling it in.

If I can take apart the enclosure, that'd work - it's just a plastic shell besides for the adapter bit in the front... Or is
it easier to return it to Amazon (consigning it to the invisible network of post-return merchants) and order the cable?
I would just break the adapter out of the holder. Easier for me. But I hear both options.
Still, is this a desktop drive? It might require more power than the connector has alone... (For some reason I thought this was a laptop drive.)

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2024, 07:57:41 AM »
1. I have a hard drive from a laptop...... The laptop was a Toshiba Satellite C855-S5194...

Online mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2024, 08:52:20 AM »

Got it. Interesting - it must be more than 9mm, which is weird in a laptop, but okay... At least it shouldn't need more power.

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2024, 10:12:58 AM »
Got it. Interesting - it must be more than 9mm, which is weird in a laptop, but okay... At least it shouldn't need more power.
doesnt make sense. i think the hard drive has some sorta piece connected to it which is preventing putting it in the encloser.

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2024, 10:39:29 AM »

Can you post a picture? might have an adapter attached

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2024, 08:03:13 AM »

Side (length):

Front:

I would just break the adapter out of the holder. [...]

How would you suggest I go about doing that? (Also, mazel tov!)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2024, 09:06:08 AM »
This looks to me like it is still in a holding bracket. It looks like it can be removed by unscrewing the 2 screws on the side.
Feelings don't care about your facts