Author Topic: 2024 Israeli Municipal Elections  (Read 3786 times)

Offline Moshe Green

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: 2024 Israeli Municipal Elections
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2024, 09:20:37 AM »
Woah!
https://www.jdn.co.il/municipal/2145537/

Abutbul gets Likud support.

That means its basically Greenburg or Abutbul winning first round or Greenburg vs. Abutbul in round 2.

(Disclamer: I am not at all related to Moshe Abutbul or Shmuel Greenburg.)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 09:27:49 AM by Moshe Green »

Offline yshad

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2024, 05:46:09 AM »
In others will the charedim generaly manage to not cut off their noses to spite their face? (looking at you, Beit Shemesh!)

The more I think about this, the more sick I feel. I know, I am a naive American, but if fighting for Torah values was so important, why are we fighting other Chareidim at the risk of losing to a third, less torah-dik candidate? Please don't lecture me about following the Gedolim. We are taught about the Rambam, who demonstrated to the Arab ruler that despite his stature as a senior Rabbi, if he would make a slight mistake while reading the Torah, the tzibbir would not hesitate to correct him. So what happened to our lofty ideals of keeping promises, of peshara for the greater good, of mesiras nefesh for what is right? Instead, the minute we feel that we are not dependent upon the cooperation of others, we immediately throw them under the bus, at the risk of losing it all. I want to give over to my children the chashivus of following Daas Torah, but I also want to teach them that there is something called seeing beyond your dalet amos.
To quote someone I once heard, "I hold my nose and vote".

Offline yshad

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2024, 05:52:52 AM »
Woah!

That means its basically Greenburg or Abutbul winning first round or Greenburg vs. Abutbul in round 2.

I can't really believe than many Likud voters would vote for Abutbul, despite what their party leaders recommend. Either Bloch or nothing.

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2024, 03:16:31 AM »
I can't really believe than many Likud voters would vote for Abutbul, despite what their party leaders recommend. Either Bloch or nothing.
+1
agreed. but only partially.
There are many sefardim mesoratiim taht vote likud who have no prob. with abutbul.
on the other hand...
I spoke to an acquaintance of mine chareidi lite chutznik) on Friday who votes likud. He said he's voting greeburg...

Offline yfr bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2024, 06:02:30 AM »
The more I think about this, the more sick I feel. I know, I am a naive American, but if fighting for Torah values was so important, why are we fighting other Chareidim at the risk of losing to a third, less torah-dik candidate? Please don't lecture me about following the Gedolim. We are taught about the Rambam, who demonstrated to the Arab ruler that despite his stature as a senior Rabbi, if he would make a slight mistake while reading the Torah, the tzibbir would not hesitate to correct him. So what happened to our lofty ideals of keeping promises, of peshara for the greater good, of mesiras nefesh for what is right? Instead, the minute we feel that we are not dependent upon the cooperation of others, we immediately throw them under the bus, at the risk of losing it all. I want to give over to my children the chashivus of following Daas Torah, but I also want to teach them that there is something called seeing beyond your dalet amos.
To quote someone I once heard, "I hold my nose and vote".

Because its full of ugly disgusting sectarian politics.
Because lets take revenge in one city for the avlas done to us in a different city.
Because the "es kumpt mir" attitude.
Because the once smaller and less powerful begged for years to reapportion things b'derech hashalom, and the once powerful refused to even negotiate...
V'rabbos heim vei efshar lefortom

For example, In JLM the apportionment from the establishment of Degel was more or less 60/40 in favor of the chassidim, and alternating elections for mayor (which is why Uri Lopoliansky, who was a generally popular mayor did not run for reelection).
At some point the litvishe bnei torah stated to feel that they were not being adequately represented in accordance with their population- not in numbers of councilmen and not in budgetery and land allocations from the city - so they came nicely and asked if the lists could be adjusted so that it woul dbe a 50/50 split. Flat refusal and accusations of being baalei machlokes followed... L'maan hasholom things continued as previously... Until Ger stabbed Degel in the back and supported the opponent of Degels mayoral candidate (when it was degels turn) in order to be given a certain piece of very valuable land. Which was the last straw for the rabbanim in degel.
So last election, the litvishe ran separately and established who exactly has more voters in JLM (its like 70/20 in favor of the livisher by the way!).
So this election is no different, every city has its local stories of avlos and strife, add into it the nekama from other cities....

So in BB degel is running separately from aguda for this first time - bec Aguda refused to reopen prior 40 year old power sharing deals to account for the current situation.
Who's the baal machlokes? The leadership that insists on continuing the 33%/33%/33% split between chassidim, litvisher and sephardim as agreed on 40 years ago - or the leaders of a tzibur that see that the deal is unfair. Why do certain groups just get given budgets, land... just to maintain the 33/33/33 balance - and sell/rent what they were given from the public purse! to other groups in the city that are in dire need.

And ashdod - the klal chasidi and belz split from aguda and are running with degel - because Gur wont give them the time of day...

And other cities...

So BS and Elad (and other cities too) have all the local issues, plus nekama for other cities...

(Edit: Just to add and point out that it is understandable why Aguda would not want to open up any old deal as Aguda itself is an amaglation of several groups with their own even older splits of power)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 06:40:16 AM by yfr bachur »

Online Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2024, 04:14:53 PM »
When do results come out? Do they do exit polls in IL?

Offline yshad

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2024, 04:46:13 PM »

Offline yfr bachur

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2024, 08:12:28 AM »
So Aliza Bloch is the next Mayor of Beit Shemesh?
All she'll need to do, assuming that she's in the next round is cut a deal with Gur and/or Shas...

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2024, 09:28:20 AM »
Municipal Elections Results (Cities with a high percentage of Chareidim)

https://www.jdn.co.il/municipal/2151009/ (with a little editing by me. Also, this is not final as there are still double envelopes (soldiers etc.) which did not get counted yet.)

Note: Not all parties are listed here, many of them only have the Chareidi or frum parties.

Bnei Brak

Degel HaTorah: 30,623 votes - 10 mandates.

Shas: 22,182 votes - 7 mandates.

Gimmel: 20,243 votes - 6 mandates.

'Etz': 5,145 votes - 2 mandates.

'Machal': 4,221 votes - mandate 1.

'Taz' (R' Shaul Alter): 4,008 votes - mandate 1.

The one who easily won the mayorship is Hanoch Seibert who got 59%, Uriel Bosso got only 36.6%.

Jerusalem

Degel HaTorah: 41,848 votes - 6 mandates.

Shas: 39,784 - 6 mandates.

The Jerusalem Union: 25,133 – 4 mandates

Awakening: 22,526 – 3 mandates.

Agudath Israel: 21,727 – 3 mandates

One Jerusalem: 14,763 – 2 mandates.

United: 11,089- 2 mandates.

From the FDL-Religious Zionism: 10,696 – 1 mandates.

Likud: 7,582 – 1 mandates.

Bnei Torah (Etz): 6,587 – 1 mandates.

Jerusalem in Noam: 5,654 – 1 mandates.

In the battle for mayor - Graf Leon, as expected, an overwhelming majority of the votes - 168,568, which is 81.49 percent, compared to 38,295 votes for his party with 18.51 percent.

Elad

Shas: 7 mandates.

Agudath Israel: 3 mandates.

Degel HaTorah: 3 mandates.

Yitzhak Hala: 1.

Bedolev: 1.

The one who won the mayor's office is Yehuda Butbul (Shas) who received 55.3% of the votes, Parosh won 44.7% of the votes.

Beit Shemesh

Shas: 4 mandates

Degel HaTorah: 5 mandates.

Agudath Israel: 3 mandates

Shlomi Amonim and Belza: 4 mandates.

Derech: 2 mandates

D"L: 1 mandates

The candidate Shmuel Greenberg of the Torah flag leads with 35.7%, which is 19,642 votes from the city's residents. Aliza Bloch leads Moshe Abutbol by a gap of only half a percent, that is, less than 300 votes. There will be a second elections between the top two, Greenberg and Abutbol or Bloch.

Tiberias

The unified list of Gered Kook: 5 mandates.

Shas: 2 mandates.

The mayor for a little over a year, Ron Kobi, who became famous due to his statements against the ultra-Orthodox, was defeated and finished third with only 22% of the votes compared to 51% for Yossi Nevea, CEO of Rabbi Meir Baal Hanes Institutions - supported by Shas, Agudath Israel, Degel and the Likud.

Modi'in Illit

Shas: 3 mandates

Torah Judaism (Gimmel and Degel): 14 mandates

Bnei Torah (Etz): 2 mints

The person who was elected mayor is Yacob Guterman with a majority of 80% of the votes, 20% voted against his candidacy as a protest vote.

Rechasim

Shas: 6 mandates.

The one who won the battle for mayor is Yitzhak Reich who received 70 more votes than Matoi Wizgen on behalf of Shas.

Beitar Illit

Gimmel: 8 mandates.

Degel HaTorah: 4 mandates.

Shas: 4 mandates.

Etz: 1 mandates.

The one who won the mayorship is Meir Rubinstein who got 66%, Hananal Shem Tov with 34

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2024, 10:43:45 AM »
Etz have more people in Juresalem than in BB?

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2024, 11:33:16 AM »
Etz have more people in Juresalem than in BB?
makes sense, no? There are tons more Chareidim in J-lem (not that i'm saying that etz is chareidi, but they used to be :) )

Offline rbs-g1.5

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2024, 02:44:12 PM »
Woah!

This likely actually cost him the election. (although he wouldve lost in a runoff to greenberg) There was no psak from the likuder rebbe to make them vote for abutbull and greenberg made a big smear campain out of it

Offline yshad

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2024, 03:00:47 PM »
So Aliza Bloch is the next Mayor of Beit Shemesh?
All she'll need to do, assuming that she's in the next round is cut a deal with Gur and/or Shas...

I'm waiting to get out all of my saved Gimmel/Shas signs which say, "We need a Rosh Ha'ir Chareidi" and stick it into their faces

Offline yfr bachur

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2024, 03:24:39 PM »
Just a little helpful editing and comments
Municipal Elections Results (Cities with a high percentage of Chareidim)

https://www.jdn.co.il/municipal/2151009/ (with a little editing by me. Also, this is not final as there are still double envelopes (soldiers etc.) which did not get counted yet.)

Note: Not all parties are listed here, many of them only have the Chareidi or frum parties.

Bnei Brak

Degel HaTorah: 30,623 votes - 10 mandates.

Shas: 22,182 votes - 7 mandates.

Gimmel: 20,243 votes - 6 mandates.

'Etz': 5,145 votes - 2 mandates.

'Machal' i.e.  Likud: 4,221 votes - mandate 1.

'Taz' (R' Shaul Alter): 4,008 votes - mandate 1.

The one who easily won the mayorship is Hanoch Seibert Gur defacto support from degl and גwho got 59%, Uriel Bosso Shasgot only 36.6%.

Jerusalem

Degel HaTorah: 41,848 votes - 6 mandates.

Shas: 39,784 - 6 mandates.

The Jerusalem Unionchiloni: 25,133 – 4 mandates

Awakeningchiloni: 22,526 – 3 mandates.

Agudath Israel: 21,727 – 3 mandates

One Jerusalemleons party supported by likud afaik: 14,763 – 2 mandates.

United??: 11,089- 2 mandates.

From the FDL-Religious Zionism: 10,696 – 1 mandates.

Likud: 7,582 – 1 mandates.

Bnei Torah (Etz): 6,587 – 1 mandates.

Jerusalem in NoamTalmidim of Rav Tau from Har Hamor: 5,654 – 1 mandates.

In the battle for mayor - Graf Leon, as expected, an overwhelming majority of the votes - 168,568, which is 81.49 percent, compared to 38,295 votes for his party with 18.51 percent.

Elad

Shas: 7 mandates.

Agudath Israel: 3 mandates.

Degel HaTorah: 3 mandates.

Yitzhak Hala: 1.

Bedolev: 1.

The one who won the mayor's office is Yehuda Butbul (Shas) who received 55.3% of the votes, Parosh won 44.7% of the votes.

Beit Shemesh

Shas: 4 mandates

Agudath Israel: 3 mandates

Shlomi Amonim and Belza: 4 mandates.

Derech: 2 mandates

D"L: 1 mandates

The candidate Shmuel Greenberg of the Torah flag leads with 35.7%, which is 19,642 votes from the city's residents. Aliza Bloch leads Moshe Abutbol by a gap of only half a percent, that is, less than 300 votes. There will be a second elections between the top two, Greenberg and Abutbol or Bloch. likely to be bloch, as the soldier vote should be heavely in her favor

Tiberias

The unified list of Gered KookRav Dov Kook: 5 mandates.

Shas: 2 mandates.

The mayor for a little over a year,(four years ago, till he couldnt pass a budget and was therefore ousted - not an incumbant Ron Kobi, who became famous due to his statements against the ultra-Orthodox, was defeated and finished third with only 22% of the votes compared to 51% for Yossi Nevea, CEO of Rabbi Meir Baal Hanes Institutions - supported by Shas, Agudath Israel, Degel and the Likud.

Modi'in Illit

Shas: 3 mandates

Torah Judaism (Gimmel and Degel): 14 mandates

Bnei Torah (Etz): 2 mints
anyone with any idea how the plegs pleg did?
The person who was elected mayor is Yacob Guterman with a majority of 80% of the votes, 20% voted against his candidacy as a protest vote.

Rechasim

Shas: 6 mandates.

The one who won the battle for mayor is Yitzhak Reich who received 70 more votes than Matoi Wizgen on behalf of Shas.

Beitar Illit

Gimmel: 8 mandates.

Degel HaTorah: 4 mandates.

Shas: 4 mandates.

Etz: 1 mandates.

The one who won the mayorship is Meir Rubinstein who got 66%, Hananal Shem Tov with 34

Offline yfr bachur

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2024, 03:35:43 PM »
a fuller veiw with addition cities with charedi presents
https://www.bhol.co.il/news/1655066

Online yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2024, 07:16:01 PM »
Seems like bet shemesh had an exciting campaign from the comments here. Can someone give an (objective) synopsis?

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2024, 02:39:31 AM »
Seems like bet shemesh had an exciting campaign from the comments here. Can someone give an (objective) synopsis?
From the info i got:

Moshe Abutbol won the race for mayor 15 years ago, when Bet Shemesh was still a big mix of different types (Chareidi, DL, Chilloni).

10 years ago, he won again after the non-Chareidim picked an anti-religious (at least that's how the Chareidim depicted him) candidate to run against him. This was at the time when there was high tension between the Chareidim and non-religious. Still, many MO and DL picked Abutbol over the anti one.

5 years ago, the only one who ran against Abutbol was Bloch, who is not anti-religious, in fact she is religious as well. This, the MO and DL, and even some Chareidim decided to pick her especially after Abutbol was claimed not to be running the city properly. Bloch won by a small margin.

Since then, the amount of Chareidim who have moved in has made the city overwhelmingly Chareidi, about 65% Chareidi, 20% DL/MO, and 15% Chiloni. Thus when Degel Hatorah put up Greenburg to run, it seemed like an easy win, especially because he would be able to draw some of the ones who voted for Bloch last time (MO and Chareidim).

Unfortunately, due to certain Machlokesim in other cities, Shas decided to put Abutbol again to run (and received Gimmel's support), thus splitting the Chareidi vote and sending Bet Shemesh to another round, Greenburg vs. Bloch. (This is because no candidate got 40% of the vote).

While Deri (head of Shas) has said clearly that they would support Greenburg if there's a runoff, so far nothing has been worked out.
If Shas and Gimmel support Greenburg it will be an easy win 65-35% but if either Shas or Gimmel go with Bloch it could be close.

Offline LongTimeLurker

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2024, 02:49:34 AM »
I find the secular media obsession with haredi voting to be bizarre.. The democratic majority votes for the people who looks out for their interests, I'm shocked.

What I find even more fascinating is the number of mayors with either criminal investigations, convictions, etc who got reelected or came very close

Online Spoon

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2024, 01:48:51 PM »
While Deri (head of Shas) has said clearly that they would support Greenburg if there's a runoff, so far nothing has been worked out.
If Shas and Gimmel support Greenburg it will be an easy win 65-35% but if either Shas or Gimmel go with Bloch it could be close.

He only got involved in BS because Gafni reneged on the Elad agreement. Now that he got Elad he said he's backing Greenburg.

Offline JMHO

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2024, 01:55:00 PM »
From the info i got:

Moshe Abutbol won the race for mayor 15 years ago, when Bet Shemesh was still a big mix of different types (Chareidi, DL, Chilloni).

10 years ago, he won again after the non-Chareidim picked an anti-religious (at least that's how the Chareidim depicted him) candidate to run against him. This was at the time when there was high tension between the Chareidim and non-religious. Still, many MO and DL picked Abutbol over the anti one.

5 years ago, the only one who ran against Abutbol was Bloch, who is not anti-religious, in fact she is religious as well. This, the MO and DL, and even some Chareidim decided to pick her especially after Abutbol was claimed not to be running the city properly. Bloch won by a small margin.

Since then, the amount of Chareidim who have moved in has made the city overwhelmingly Chareidi, about 65% Chareidi, 20% DL/MO, and 15% Chiloni. Thus when Degel Hatorah put up Greenburg to run, it seemed like an easy win, especially because he would be able to draw some of the ones who voted for Bloch last time (MO and Chareidim).

Unfortunately, due to certain Machlokesim in other cities, Shas decided to put Abutbol again to run (and received Gimmel's support), thus splitting the Chareidi vote and sending Bet Shemesh to another round, Greenburg vs. Bloch. (This is because no candidate got 40% of the vote).

Everything is L'Sheim Shomayim of course...