Author Topic: Trip Report: Should You Tip Your Uber Eats Driver?  (Read 2611 times)

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
Trip Report: Should You Tip Your Uber Eats Driver?
« on: March 06, 2024, 01:13:38 PM »

Well is it actually customary to give a tip?

Your question is very much applicable in many scenarios throughout your day to day life and not just 10-12 times a year when you get a haircut.
 From Instacrt, Walmart+, UPS drivers, Amazon drivers, Target shipt, food delivery(aka, grubhub,doordash,uberEats) car service, garbage men, pharmacy, nail salon, valet parking and and everyone else in-between.
  Honestly there's probably times you can sense that this guy deserves a tip, and then there's times like going into a café where you pick up your food from the counter and they're tacking on an 18% tip, cc fee and tax. That's where you go bonkers and start complaining about the tips.   So it's a 2-way street.   Yes, sometimes it's being abused, and sometimes where you're supposed to tip, you're not.

Here's a little TR showing one should give a little tip!

I've been ordering from Uber eats and the like for quite some time.  I always tend to get my food after it's cold and soggy. So, I decided to go through the actions and see why it takes so long.

Now, they usually have a bonus to sign up for an Uber eats driver. As well they were offering a discount on a new electric car purchase if you were an Uber driver.

But back to the story, I said in order for me to use my 30-50% coupons that are on my account, you need to have the food delivered vs. pickup.
  So I had my P2 sign up as a driver, and I planned to place the order for the food, and P2 would hope to be the 1st to accept the order and go pickup the food and deliver it to me. In essence, eat the food in the car or whatever. ( Technically can sit in the restaurant and eat the food and then go afterward to deliver the bag by the front door and take a picture that it was delivered, There is no way to know if there's anything in the bag. Or not, so keep the empty bag to take a picture.)

So, in fact, that's what we did, I placed the order, P2 accepted the order, and we went on our way to pick up the food. Now, little did we know when you're picking up food from a specific restaurant. And there's other orders that need to be delivered in the area to where you are going, they give that to you as well. I didn't realize it in the app. It says three orders. There was a number three, but I had no clue what that meant.

We picked up my order, checked off the box in the Uber Eats app that we have it, then it asked, "Do you have order number two?" At first, I was going to write. It's not ready, and then just leave.  But not knowing how that would go, I just took the order and then the third order. And went on my way.. But there was another order as well from a store across the street, which we accidentally clicked the check mark, and now we had to pick up that order as well. After a few hiccups, we pretty much learned how the Uber Eats app works and how many orders you are expected to deliver.

Okay, we have all the orders, We are going to deliver the orders. Two out of three were fine. No one at the door was waiting for us, and we took a picture and went on our way. The third one. There was a guy waiting at the door for his delivery. We see him at the door. we drove past the home, hoping he would go inside.  In fact, he went inside for about thirty seconds.  We made a Uturn, and I ran up the steps to deliver the food. Manage to deliver it without him opening up the door.  But in the haste, I forgot to take a picture of the delivery. So I ran to get the phone by the time I did that. The door was opened. It was a little embarrassing, but I asked him to put the food back by the door and close his door so I could take a picture, and explained i was a beta tester for Uber eats.

Point being for all those deliveries. I got Max from Uber. About 2-3 dollars from each order. That's pretty bad spending so much time. Delivering orders and making only 2-3 dollars from each order. Where I did make money was from the tips. One person tipped 3-4$, and one person tipped $6. But if not for that, I would've felt like a total fool. Being an Uber eats delivery driver, not making a penny. 
Yes, the purpose of this journey was to get my food while it was still hot.. But more than that, it was an experience, all about being an Uber Eats driver!
Honestly, it's convenient when you have only one order to pick up. Which is your own. But as soon as you have other orders to pick up, it's a bummer to go this route.

I did try it out a different time when we ordered lunch at a cafe, It worked out just fine. They paid me to pick on my own order and only had one order to pick up. Again? I only did this because I had a 50 - or 60% coupon on delivery.
In short, get a day job and don't bank on the tips from being an Uber eats driver.

But all in all, I definitely agree that one should be tipping, depending on how much you can afford and the level of service received should determine the tip amount. 

There was an article in the circle magazine, which was very interesting. In many places, it became the norm to give a tip and was expected. 

I see it like an item for sale on Ebay,
Either you can pay $100 with free shipping(tip included)
Or
$95.01 with $4.99 shipping. (In essence, they're telling you the tip is $4.99).
   Restaurants having to add the tip in the bill, Is for all those who feel they don't have to tip. Though i've seen a restaurant on the very bottom of the receipt, stating that if you feel the need to change the tip amount, feel free to do so, Meaning it's not mandatory, But definitely expected.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline HudZ

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Torah
Re: Trip Report: Should You Tip Your Uber Eats Driver?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 03:28:44 PM »
Wow, that's a long one.

I enjoyed your story... So you went to pick up your order so it shouldn't be cold... And then you go around delivering 3 orders. The time you got home, I'm sure it was STILL cold. 😂😂😂
אין עוד מלבדו

Offline WonderingYid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 06:40:29 PM »
Yeah, Very Sensical...
You're talking about The Gentleman Barber Shop, No? He's famous for those hot towels...
Shh... Don't spill the beans. (Theres a reason I wrote ave H  ;))

Offline Joel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 06:57:59 PM »
@myi Cool story I always wondered how its on the other side..
after all car expenses not sure how they survive

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2024, 07:03:07 PM »
The problem is that the companies pay so low that you have to tip, and they can afford to pay so low because most people tip
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline JMHO

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 07:45:51 PM »
I am sure some of these workers put in an honest day of work, but let's be honest, these are low skill jobs do not necessarily 'deserve' to be paid the big bucks.
It's a free market and if someone is capable and can do more and make more, kol hakolavod, go out and do it!

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2024, 07:49:11 PM »
I am sure some of these workers put in an honest day of work, but let's be honest, these are low skill jobs do not necessarily 'deserve' to be paid the big bucks.
It's a free market and if someone is capable and can do more and make more, kol hakolavod, go out and do it!
Sure, and I'm not an expert but there may be a difference between big bucks, minimum wage, and what these people make before tips.

Offline HudZ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2024, 07:56:44 PM »
Shh... Don't spill the beans. (Theres a reason I wrote ave H  ;))
😏... I figured u wrote H because of that...
אין עוד מלבדו

Offline HudZ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2024, 08:01:21 PM »
The problem is that the companies pay so low that you have to tip, and they can afford to pay so low because most people tip
It's not that the companies say low because most people tip. They pay low SO people should be forced to tip...(thereby putting the cost of workers on the consumers...😕)
אין עוד מלבדו

Offline JMHO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2024, 08:07:39 PM »
Sure, and I'm not an expert but there may be a difference between big bucks, minimum wage, and what these people make before tips.
So why work these jobs?

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2024, 08:13:51 PM »
So why work these jobs?
I'm not the expert but I would guess that people who can, move on to things that pay more

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2024, 08:14:25 PM »
It's not that the companies say low because most people tip. They pay low SO people should be forced to tip...(thereby putting the cost of workers on the consumers...😕)
But if no one tipped, there would be no drivers willing to work for the pay, and the companies would be forced to pay more. So it works both ways.

Offline HudZ

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2024, 08:24:43 PM »
But if no one tipped, there would be no drivers willing to work for the pay, and the companies would be forced to pay more. So it works both ways.
I agree with you. Tipping is really just an extra tax, not what a tip is supposed to be. However, do you have a way to make it that everyone shouldn't tip?? So until we can get everyone not to tip, it's gonna stay status quo.
אין עוד מלבדו

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2024, 08:27:40 PM »
I agree with you. Tipping is really just an extra tax, not what a tip is supposed to be. However, do you have a way to make it that everyone shouldn't tip?? So until we can get everyone not to tip, it's gonna stay status quo.
No, I don't. That's why I said that it's a problem.

Offline HudZ

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2024, 09:05:46 PM »
Btw @Mods, was myi's post moved to its own new thread or am I just imagining things (at the old age of 88 ;)). If I recall correctly, it was in the haircut thread...
אין עוד מלבדו

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2024, 09:10:36 PM »
   Restaurants having to add the tip in the bill, Is for all those who feel they don't have to tip. Though i've seen a restaurant on the very bottom of the receipt, stating that if you feel the need to change the tip amount, feel free to do so, Meaning it's not mandatory, But definitely expected.

How exactly does this work? If someone gave me nasty service I’m supposed to ask them to help me change the tip amount to $0? I’m sure that’ll go down smooth…
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2024, 10:45:31 PM »

Your question is very much applicable in many scenarios throughout your day to day life and not just 10-12 times a year when you get a haircut.
 From Instacrt, Walmart+, UPS drivers, Amazon drivers, Target shipt, food delivery(aka, grubhub,doordash,uberEats) car service, garbage men, pharmacy, nail salon, valet parking and and everyone else in-between.
  Honestly there's probably times you can sense that this guy deserves a tip, and then there's times like going into a café where you pick up your food from the counter and they're tacking on an 18% tip, cc fee and tax. That's where you go bonkers and start complaining about the tips.   So it's a 2-way street.   Yes, sometimes it's being abused, and sometimes where you're supposed to tip, you're not.

Here's a little TR showing one should give a little tip!

I've been ordering from Uber eats and the like for quite some time.  I always tend to get my food after it's cold and soggy. So, I decided to go through the actions and see why it takes so long.

Now, they usually have a bonus to sign up for an Uber eats driver. As well they were offering a discount on a new electric car purchase if you were an Uber driver.

But back to the story, I said in order for me to use my 30-50% coupons that are on my account, you need to have the food delivered vs. pickup.
  So I had my P2 sign up as a driver, and I planned to place the order for the food, and P2 would hope to be the 1st to accept the order and go pickup the food and deliver it to me. In essence, eat the food in the car or whatever. ( Technically can sit in the restaurant and eat the food and then go afterward to deliver the bag by the front door and take a picture that it was delivered, There is no way to know if there's anything in the bag. Or not, so keep the empty bag to take a picture.)

So, in fact, that's what we did, I placed the order, P2 accepted the order, and we went on our way to pick up the food. Now, little did we know when you're picking up food from a specific restaurant. And there's other orders that need to be delivered in the area to where you are going, they give that to you as well. I didn't realize it in the app. It says three orders. There was a number three, but I had no clue what that meant.

We picked up my order, checked off the box in the Uber Eats app that we have it, then it asked, "Do you have order number two?" At first, I was going to write. It's not ready, and then just leave.  But not knowing how that would go, I just took the order and then the third order. And went on my way.. But there was another order as well from a store across the street, which we accidentally clicked the check mark, and now we had to pick up that order as well. After a few hiccups, we pretty much learned how the Uber Eats app works and how many orders you are expected to deliver.

Okay, we have all the orders, We are going to deliver the orders. Two out of three were fine. No one at the door was waiting for us, and we took a picture and went on our way. The third one. There was a guy waiting at the door for his delivery. We see him at the door. we drove past the home, hoping he would go inside.  In fact, he went inside for about thirty seconds.  We made a Uturn, and I ran up the steps to deliver the food. Manage to deliver it without him opening up the door.  But in the haste, I forgot to take a picture of the delivery. So I ran to get the phone by the time I did that. The door was opened. It was a little embarrassing, but I asked him to put the food back by the door and close his door so I could take a picture, and explained i was a beta tester for Uber eats.

Point being for all those deliveries. I got Max from Uber. About 2-3 dollars from each order. That's pretty bad spending so much time. Delivering orders and making only 2-3 dollars from each order. Where I did make money was from the tips. One person tipped 3-4$, and one person tipped $6. But if not for that, I would've felt like a total fool. Being an Uber eats delivery driver, not making a penny. 
Yes, the purpose of this journey was to get my food while it was still hot.. But more than that, it was an experience, all about being an Uber Eats driver!
Honestly, it's convenient when you have only one order to pick up. Which is your own. But as soon as you have other orders to pick up, it's a bummer to go this route.

I did try it out a different time when we ordered lunch at a cafe, It worked out just fine. They paid me to pick on my own order and only had one order to pick up. Again? I only did this because I had a 50 - or 60% coupon on delivery.
In short, get a day job and don't bank on the tips from being an Uber eats driver.

But all in all, I definitely agree that one should be tipping, depending on how much you can afford and the level of service received should determine the tip amount. 

There was an article in the circle magazine, which was very interesting. In many places, it became the norm to give a tip and was expected. 

I see it like an item for sale on Ebay,
Either you can pay $100 with free shipping(tip included)
Or
$95.01 with $4.99 shipping. (In essence, they're telling you the tip is $4.99).
Epic!!!!!!!

Offline Sam 77

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2024, 05:00:56 AM »

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2024, 07:24:13 AM »
Epic!!!!!!!

Quoting all those words just to reply with one word - not so epic!!!
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline lover of truth

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ly matmid silver, fish grill platinum,
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2024, 08:18:33 AM »
Off topic slightly,
unless you have real good reason, like serious discount for using ubereats, grubhub etc. DON"T
they take up to 30% off the order that leaves a hardworking yid with considerably less parnassah
altz the mitzvah of giving livlihood to a yid call the store, yes it is annoying and slower but is a real mitzvah
and you save the tip for the ubereats........only to be given to the store deliveryboy