Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 416615 times)

Offline shiframeir

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
Re: Going To Law School & Pros And Cons Of Being A Lawyer Master Thread
« Reply #1300 on: June 06, 2016, 11:43:19 PM »
At the same time, once the ball starts rolling, which everyone assumes it will, you become second tier in recruiting if you don't.

For example, if Skadden doesn't match, they won't be able to convince a single recruit to choose them over Cravath. So they match.  And so on.
agreed on Skadden (they are surprisingly much less leveraged than we normally assume they are). But check this out to really see where the hurt might be http://www.americanlawyer.com/id=1202755653121/Firms-Ranked-by-Revenue-Per-Lawyer?slreturn=20160506233123 & http://www.americanlawyer.com/id=1202755652747. places like DLA Piper, baker Mckenzie and K&L Gates, and smaller places that have a real NY office but many more lawyers outside NY than in NY (Reed Smith/Bryan Cave) look to be firms that will be seriously hurt by these raises esp outside NY, so they are unlikely to allow a raise outside NY (if at all), esp since they arent top recruiters anyway.
I feel like any firm making over $1M in revenue per lawyer/$550k VPL is prob able to make the raise without a blink, esp since we may see lower bonuses. Those firms won't gain enough proportionally by holding back the bonuses (won't pick up better partner talent for the incremental savings) and in any event won't lose partners for raising since most heavy hitters will also raise, limiting the greener grass options to virtually status quo. 

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: June 06, 2016, 11:45:20 PM »
Edited to highlight the offer 150k part. Never heard of anything like that right out of school.

It's rare but I know a few that took home around that. And it's not that rare a few years in.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1302 on: June 06, 2016, 11:50:20 PM »
agreed on Skadden (they are surprisingly much less leveraged than we normally assume they are). But check this out to really see where the hurt might be http://www.americanlawyer.com/id=1202755653121/Firms-Ranked-by-Revenue-Per-Lawyer?slreturn=20160506233123 & http://www.americanlawyer.com/id=1202755652747. places like DLA Piper, baker Mckenzie and K&L Gates, and smaller places that have a real NY office but many more lawyers outside NY than in NY (Reed Smith/Bryan Cave) look to be firms that will be seriously hurt by these raises esp outside NY, so they are unlikely to allow a raise outside NY (if at all), esp since they arent top recruiters anyway.
I feel like any firm making over $1M in revenue per lawyer/$550k VPL is prob able to make the raise without a blink, esp since we may see lower bonuses. Those firms won't gain enough proportionally by holding back the bonuses (won't pick up better partner talent for the incremental savings) and in any event won't lose partners for raising since most heavy hitters will also raise, limiting the greener grass options to virtually status quo.
Easy for those firms, they can simply make the raise NY only. Problem for these types of firms though, if they do that, they'll lose top talent in non-NY offices like Chicago and LA.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: June 07, 2016, 08:06:36 AM »
Easy for those firms, they can simply make the raise NY only. Problem for these types of firms though, if they do that, they'll lose top talent in non-NY offices like Chicago and LA.

You have to consider, there's a reason why all the firms paying 160 today, are. Not all pay 160, there are still a few holdouts, especially in secondary market cities, and I don't expect those to match now either.

Offline CS91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: June 07, 2016, 11:37:35 AM »
Milbank matched for all offices.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: June 07, 2016, 11:40:25 AM »
Milbank matched for all offices.

And it's in the (mil)bank!  As far as I'm concerned.

My thoughts: Milbank is pretty baller for this. They knew they'd eventually match anyway, so figured they may as well look as if they're the Cravath peer firm.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: June 07, 2016, 11:54:43 AM »
And it's in the (mil)bank!  As far as I'm concerned.

My thoughts: Milbank is pretty baller for this. They knew they'd eventually match anyway, so figured they may as well look as if they're the Cravath peer firm.
Yup, only a matter of time that the rest follow now that a non-V5/10 matched.

This is literally the only thing keeping me somewhat happy while studying for the Bar. Literally the worst thing I've ever done. 7 more weeks...

Offline shiframeir

• View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: June 07, 2016, 01:45:38 PM »
Yup, only a matter of time that the rest follow now that a non-V5/10 matched.

This is literally the only thing keeping me somewhat happy while studying for the Bar. Literally the worst thing I've ever done. 7 more weeks...
You're doing it wrong. are u doing barbri? why so terrible? should be able to spend the afternoon everyday going for long walks with the Mrs. dont have to get serious until a few weeks before.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: June 07, 2016, 01:54:41 PM »
You're doing it wrong. are u doing barbri? why so terrible? should be able to spend the afternoon everyday going for long walks with the Mrs. dont have to get serious until a few weeks before.

+1

also, do barbri on double speed.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1309 on: June 07, 2016, 02:04:07 PM »
I began studying in earnest after July 4 weekend.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: June 07, 2016, 02:04:22 PM »
Milbank matching all offices bodes well.

Offline michael

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: June 07, 2016, 02:30:16 PM »
Just had associates committee meeting. Managing partner said they will wait and see...

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: June 07, 2016, 02:36:01 PM »
+1
also, do barbri on double speed.
Yea, Barbri. Listening on 1.5x-2x depending on the lecturer. But still, between lectures and doing the practice questions/essays, it takes up most of the day. And overall, I'm just sick of studying.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: June 07, 2016, 02:45:27 PM »
Yea, Barbri. Listening on 1.5x-2x depending on the lecturer. But still, between lectures and doing the practice questions/essays, it takes up most of the day. And overall, I'm just sick of studying.

Don't do the practice essays.

just watch videos, take notes at 2x, and do MBE questions. that's what I did and here I am.

Offline shiframeir

• View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: June 07, 2016, 02:50:43 PM »

just watch videos, take notes at 2x, and do MBE questions. that's what I did and here I am.
same. can't imagine most people actually do the practice stuff (i didnt even touch mbe questions til july). It's beautiful outside, enjoy it and hunker down after july 4. This is with the caveat that i assume you are a good test taker generally (thus u got this far). 

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: June 07, 2016, 02:55:10 PM »
same. can't imagine most people actually do the practice stuff (i didnt even touch mbe questions til july). It's beautiful outside, enjoy it and hunker down after july 4. This is with the caveat that i assume you are a good test taker generally (thus u got this far).

+1

Do you have any idea how bad your schedule will be for the next 5 years or more after this?

This is your last time being outside during daylight. 

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: June 07, 2016, 02:56:10 PM »

I hear you guys. True, I'd probably pass even if I did less, but my thought process is that I'd rather "overstudy" when it comes to the Bar compared to taking it easy and then on the odd chance that I crap out on test day, have regrets. I'd rather have a bit of a worse summer and guarantee (as much as that's possible) a pass.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: June 07, 2016, 02:56:43 PM »
+1

Do you have any idea how bad your schedule will be for the next 5 years or more after this?

This is your last time being outside during daylight.
I'm fully aware of how bad it'll be.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: June 07, 2016, 02:57:33 PM »
Anyway, shiframeir, what aere your big spending plans for this cash? Gonna get a boat?

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: June 07, 2016, 02:58:10 PM »
Just had associates committee meeting. Managing partner said they will wait and see...
Which firm?