Topic Wiki

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/88534

Breakfast:
Paying guests get breakfast for free. If you are staying on points you need to be gold or diamond to get free breakfast. (source)

Parking:
Complimentary (No longer, is now 60sh for self park - Drago)

Shuls Nearby:
Great Synagogue - Approx. 7 minute walk
Kotel around 15min walk thru the mall & arab Shuk (Only suggested when soldiers are present like friday night on the way home)
Hotel has a Shul in the basement
Shul across the street

Hechsher: Plain Rabbanut Yerushayim (not mehadrin)
hechsherim in isreal
whatever your rabbi says you can eat, someone else's rabbi says is treif

If anyone is planing on staying at Waldorf and not eating the free breakfast (Hechsher, Early flight, etc') please PM shimino1

If you get free drinks vouchers and don't use them, I'll buy it off you for 10 shek per voucher.
PM shimino1

If anyone is planing on staying at Waldorf and not eating the free breakfast please PM dragoddfer, and he may be able to pay for the breakfast.

« Last edited by Mimo on October 25, 2022, 01:41:54 AM »

Author Topic: Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem  (Read 1146670 times)

Online Mikeoracle

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem
« on: December 17, 2009, 10:21:08 AM »
I wouldnt look for a *W Hotel in Jeru for yrs or decades to come. Hyatt,Hilton,Marriott,Best Western, Days Inn,HoJo, are all part of the past as well
Arent they putting up a Waldorf Astoria down the block from the former Sheraton Plaza in J-M? Is there any info out there regarding if they will be participating in the HHonors program and accepting award reservations?

Offline steve2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Re: mamilla hotel joining starwoods?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 11:39:05 AM »
Arent they putting up a Waldorf Astoria down the block from the former Sheraton Plaza in J-M? Is there any info out there regarding if they will be participating in the HHonors program and accepting award reservations?

Well originally it said Dec 2010, which has been taken down. When last over there in Oct it doesnt seem any work had been done on the project for months. So who knows when it will be finished if ever built at all.

Then once finished it will be a WA Collection I believe a night off-peak starts at 50k per night with peak being 60-80k. there are different levels within the WA, not known where this Hotel will fall. But for me it will take too mnay pts to be worth it

No sense worrying about a Hotel that is still yrs off from opening up
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 12:19:17 PM by steve2 »

Online Mikeoracle

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 11:44:25 AM »
Thanks for that update, I was there in March last year and saw the sign for 2010 opening and was wondering about the progress. I actually started accumulating some Hilton points on the side in anticipation of an eventual stay there.... Oh well  :-\

Offline jack

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 12:29:57 PM »
I am spending $$ on a Hilton card exclusively for this hotel - I hope they won't disappoint.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 12:31:08 PM »
Thanks for that update, I was there in March last year and saw the sign for 2010 opening and was wondering about the progress. I actually started accumulating some Hilton points on the side in anticipation of an eventual stay there.... Oh well  :-\

also keep in mind the vast part of the project was Private apts and not the Hotel itself. In this great economic arena we are in who knows how many apts were sold. Im sure they figured on using the funds from the apts to fund the construction of the whole project.

So my Guess is that till they start Closing on a good amount of the apts they arent going to do too much in teh way of building and maybe end up with alot of unsold apts and lose alot of $$$.

Even Mamilla isnt getting the #s they had hoped for, it was built before the down turn was even on the horizon. Heck it was so bad that the Citadel took whatever res they were able to for Succos in past yrs it was 10 nights or No room. This yr they grabbed those who only wanted to be there on Yom Tov itself and not Chol Ha Moed

also are you aware that as of 1/15 most every Hilton will be going up by 1 Cat level, or 5k in pts per night?  http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/landing/RewardFAQ/index.do

that doesnt have the WA on it but Im sure the WA in Jeru will get 60-80k per night. Too much for Me

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 12:40:19 PM »
I am spending $$ on a Hilton card exclusively for this hotel - I hope they won't disappoint.

A pure Waste IMO

then again thats what I did when The Hilton David Citadel was being built and they went under only to be bought out by the Alrov Group who Dumped Hilton

look at Vegas how many new projects have kept changing afilliations with different Hotels, its mind blowing , in some cases the same Hotel building went thru numerous changes and some still havent broken ground and probabaly never will

Id never spend today based on what might be in 3 yrs from now, by then it probably will take even more pts per night

Id say youd be better off using a different CC and the $$ you save by getting either a % back or for free flights, save that up in order to pay for your Stay at a Jeru Hotel

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 01:06:03 PM »
If you're hilton elite (just having their credit card makes you elite) then you can stay at Waldorf Astoria's for as little as 37,500 points even under the new chart with a longer stay:
http://www.hilton.com/en/promotions/media/PDF/2010RewardChart_V1_9-25-2009.pdf
There are 16 Group A Waldorf's, 1 group B's, 2 group C's.  No idea where J'lem might fall.

If it does become a group A or B I would probably burn 18,750 AA miles per night for a week stay without much hesitation.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 01:10:42 PM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 01:34:30 PM »
If you're hilton elite (just having their credit card makes you elite) then you can stay at Waldorf Astoria's for as little as 37,500 points even under the new chart with a longer stay:
There are 16 Group A Waldorf's, 1 group B's, 2 group C's.  No idea where J'lem might fall.

If it does become a group A or B I would probably burn 18,750 AA miles per night for a week stay without much hesitation.

I dont think I would, but it would depend on where else I would stay and what that would run me. I dont think I would have gone with the Plaza as a Cat4 either even thou 5 nights would have 40k except maybe for Succos. and who knows if the WA will ever open as a WA and then if they will allow free stays over Succos

Too many unknowns for me and since the Hotel is yrs away from being open, not worth worrying or thinking about if I will beable to stay there using Pts and how many it will be or figuring out the best way to get HH Pts, simply because what can be done today might not beable to be done next month forget about in 2-3 yrs and the ratio most likely will change as well

But with over 1M in HH pts it would be a nice place to burn some of them

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 04:04:40 PM »
There are 16 Group A Waldorf's, 1 group B's, 2 group C's.  No idea where J'lem might fall.

dan how do you turn 18750 aa to 37500 hh?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 04:12:33 PM »
dan how do you turn 18750 aa to 37500 hh?

I took it that AA lets you transfer into HH at the ratio of 2 HH for every 1 AA, if I remember correctly its 3 HH into 1 AA going HH to AA

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 05:56:34 PM »
I took it that AA lets you transfer into HH at the ratio of 2 HH for every 1 AA, if I remember correctly its 3 HH into 1 AA going HH to AA

want to possibily correct myself the 30k in pts to 10k in miles would be from Marriott to AA, is a sliding scale that starts at 10000 pts = 2000 miles and the more pts gets more miles top level offered is 125,000 MR pts = 50k in Miles  There are 3 different levels each according to the different Carriers this is the best level.

Boy do I have egg on my face ; 10,000 HH pts = 1,500 AA miles!!  so if you do transfer from AA to HH you better make sure you can get what you want since the 18,750 AA miles may = 37,500 HH pts but 37500 HH pts = only 5600 AA miles
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 06:03:35 PM by steve2 »

Offline jack

• View Profile
Re: Israel hotels
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 09:40:06 PM »
man the busted (sheraton) plaza deal...  I started saving Hilton points for the waldorf that is supposed to be opening - only g-d knows when!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Israel hotels
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 09:52:34 PM »
man the busted (sheraton) plaza deal...  I started saving Hilton points for the waldorf that is supposed to be opening - only g-d knows when!
http://www.jerusalemshots.com/Jerusalem_en141-12555.html

Are they still actually building the Waldorf?

Such a shame the Citadel left Hilton...

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 10:27:29 PM »
http://www.jerusalemshots.com/Jerusalem_en141-12555.html

Are they still actually building the Waldorf?

Such a shame the Citadel left Hilton...

was told by someone who had a view from their suite at The Plaza taht they saw the cranes and that the shell for the floors below street level was already poured and standing.

so maybe by 2012 or 2013 it will be open

it seems that most of the units will be apts and the Hotel portion not so large

hopefully Hilton wont run into what *W did and end up leaving those ventures even thou all they did was the mgmt side

Offline jack

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 10:38:11 PM »
on waldorf website it says
Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem (2011)
but no chance of that happening imho.

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 01:36:09 PM »
on waldorf website it says
Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem (2011)
but no chance of that happening imho.

Was just in yerushalayim. Saw a building being built and a sign on it that the waldrof astoria was coming soon....

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 01:41:01 PM »
Was just in yerushalayim. Saw a building being built and a sign on it that the waldrof astoria was coming soon....

if my memory is correct the original sign that was put up said Dec 2010 on it , yes that was a couple of yrs ago

so now I guess to save some money it simply says "..coming soon.."

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 02:01:40 PM »
if my memory is correct the original sign that was put up said Dec 2010 on it , yes that was a couple of yrs ago

so now I guess to save some money it simply says "..coming soon.."

it may have had a date, dont remember....

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 02:13:13 PM »
it seems that most of the units will be apts and the Hotel portion not so large

hopefully Hilton wont run into what *W did and end up leaving those ventures even thou all they did was the mgmt side
"The hotel will offer 220 spacious suites and guestrooms, with facilities
including a choice of three restaurants, a 5,381 square‐foot spa and fitness facility with pool, in addition to
extensive conference and meeting facilities and on‐site parking. Sited adjacent to the hotel, the luxurious
Residences at The Palace Jerusalem, The Waldorf Astoria Collection, comprising of 30 residences, will have
views of the Old City and will enjoy access to services from the hotel."