2 (4.1%)
Yes, sometimes.
24 (49%)
I have before but I don't usually.
18 (36.7%)
Never
5 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Do you play the lottery?  (Read 11824 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Do you play the lottery?
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2012, 10:05:32 AM »
$17 million is really $4 million after the lump sum penalty and taxes.
And winning a big lottery means you'll have every meshulach from Alaska to Zanzibar hitting you up for money ever hour.  The $4MM will be gone before you know it and you'll still have the entire world harassing you.

Now $400 million becoming $100 million is something to talk about and worth a few hassles like that :D
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2012, 10:27:33 AM »
And winning a big lottery means you'll have every meshulach from Alaska to Zanzibar hitting you up for money ever hour.  The $4MM will be gone before you know it and you'll still have the entire world harassing you.

Now $400 million becoming $100 million is something to talk about and worth a few hassles like that :D

I hear... :o

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2012, 10:48:45 AM »

Thats assuming you take the lump sum, if you take annuity you can get much more, AND you are guaranteed that it will last at least for the next 28 years...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2012, 10:52:25 AM »
Thats assuming you take the lump sum, if you take annuity you can get much more, AND you are guaranteed that it will last at least for the next 28 years...
You actually get much less with the Annuity. If you invest it yourself you can do wayyyyy better than just double your money in 28 years.
Of course that requires discipline.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2012, 11:03:44 AM »
You actually get much less with the Annuity. If you invest it yourself you can do wayyyyy better than just double your money in 28 years.
Of course that requires discipline.

I think the biggest reason to take the annuity (especially with a net prize of $50mm+) is that it spreads it over 30 years so you aren't sitting on the entire motherlode at once. I'm not suggesting it's the prudent decision from a financial standpoint.

Does anyone think it's possible to win the lottery (and I don't mean a small prize) without anyone finding out? E.g. find a lawyer to claim it for you or something.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2012, 11:05:41 AM »
I think the biggest reason to take the annuity (especially with a net prize of $50mm+) is that it spreads it over 30 years so you aren't sitting on the entire motherlode at once. I'm not suggesting it's the prudent decision from a financial standpoint.
There are better way of accomplishing that.
If you don't trust yourself you can lock up the funds yourself and draw an annuity from them and do better than the low rate the lottery would give you.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2012, 11:08:31 AM »
There are better way of accomplishing that.
If you don't trust yourself you can lock up the funds yourself and draw an annuity from them and do better than the low rate the lottery would give you.

Good point. Though even that would't help, as many (most) winners end up in bankruptcy due debt, so getting $1mm, $2mm, or even $5mm a yer, the winner might spend more than that due to their winning frenzy.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Do you play the lottery?
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2012, 11:10:59 AM »

Does anyone think it's possible to win the lottery (and I don't mean a small prize) without anyone finding out? E.g. find a lawyer to claim it for you or something.
You agree when you claim it to have a public press conference about your winning. I doubt the lottery would let you bypass that
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2012, 11:12:48 AM »
You agree when you claim it to have a public press conference about your winning. I doubt the lottery would let you bypass that

Find someone else to claim it, obviously with a legal team of lawyers writing up your contract with him (so he doesn't run off with your $$$)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2012, 11:16:07 AM »
Find someone else to claim it, obviously with a legal team of lawyers writing up your contract with him (so he doesn't run off with your $$$)
Hope you get really good lawyers!

I think some states allow anonymous lottery claims.  I'd love to see list of them as that's the way to go.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2012, 11:17:48 AM »
Hope you get really good lawyers!

I think some states allow anonymous lottery claims.  I'd love to see list of them as that's the way to go.

Since you have a while to claim (a year, I think), you can probably move to the state with the best laws/taxes for you.

Offline Kvending

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2012, 11:18:30 AM »

That's not true, every state is different & depending where you won it then you have to follow that state's law on the subject. But I know that some state's allow the person who won to stay anonymous & not have to give a press conference.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2012, 11:23:43 AM »
Since you have a while to claim (a year, I think), you can probably move to the state with the best laws/taxes for you.
Not sure if it's dependent on your home state or the state where you bought it.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2012, 11:32:01 AM »
I think it's five years
Sorry just realized all my info is only relevant in New York
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2012, 11:56:51 AM »
Not sure if it's dependent on your home state or the state where you bought it.
Pretty sure it depends on where you bought it.

Online Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2012, 12:03:39 PM »
Pretty sure it depends on where you bought it.
+1

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2012, 12:17:51 PM »

Keep quiet. You may be tempted, according to the website for MegaMillions, but you may regret announcing your winnings to anyone. Do not contact lottery officials, do not tell your friends. Once the euphoria dies down, you may be left with "a continuous stream of lawsuits and requests for money from those who want a piece of your win."

Copy the front and back of your lottery ticket. Place the copy -- not the original -- of your ticket in an envelope. Send it to yourself in a sealed envelope, preferably by certified mail. Do not open the envelope when it comes. File it away in a safe place. You are doing this to prevent the theft of your ticket, and to provide proof that the ticket is yours in the event that it is stolen. Put the original in a fireproof safe or safe deposit box. You may have up to a year to claim your prize, and you might need that time to contact investment professionals and advisers.

Sponsored Links

Online Documents

Access and Manage Documents online in one place, free.
    www.sohoos.com

Contact a lawyer who specializes in asset protection and estate planning. Explain that you have won the lottery and ask about options for anonymity. Some states, like Delaware, allow winners to claim prizes anonymously. Ask whether you can form a trust to claim the lottery prize. If you cannot form a trust in your state, and you won a multi-state lottery, ask if you can claim the prize in another state. Forming a trust can be extremely complicated, and a lawyer must do it.

Follow your lawyer's instructions. This is the hard part. If you are successful in forming a trust to claim your prize, your lawyer may take the lottery ticket to the lottery office. Aren't you glad you copied the ticket?

Read more: How to Claim Lottery Winnings Anonymously | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_8366807_claim-lottery-winnings-anonymously.html#ixzz2CyNLTXtc
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2012, 12:21:09 PM »
Anyone wanna start a business selling Delaware lottery tickets? :))

Online Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2012, 12:23:08 PM »

How would a copy prove anything? Even if you sent it to yourself with certified mail  :o

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2012, 12:25:05 PM »
How would a copy prove anything? Even if you sent it to yourself with certified mail  :o
Well there's a sealed envelope from half a year ago addressed to yourself with a copy of the ticket....