Author Topic: Next Vacation - Ideas  (Read 1164439 times)

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Next Vacation - Ideas
« Reply #3421 on: May 27, 2016, 01:29:53 PM »
Didn't care for Rome?

Depends what kind of trip you're looking for. My sense is you'd be compelled to "run" more in FCO as compare to YVR.

If you're down to hit the ground running and continue running for what is indisputably a very quick transatlantic jump, by all means.

I can only answer as myself and for me, at this point, I'd lean towards YVR. Can take a bit more of my time, can enjoy the spa, can enjoy free hotel, can enjoy CX F, can enjoy beautiful YVR, can enjoy Omnitzky's and Maple Grill, can seaplane, can take quick trips to local BC islands, can go up to fishing lodge, etc etc.

To me, there's a certain relaxing aspect to not spending money, to not feeling like I'm required to run around and maximize. Again, comes down to the vacation you're looking for. Seems silly to me to fly to Rome to eat out.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: May 27, 2016, 01:32:04 PM »
So funny. I feel just the opposite. But maybe that's because Rome was never on my list. I didn't feel compelled to get it all in. Loved walking around, getting lost and eating out. But I hear both sides. A lot depends on what you want to do and your attitude and plans before you get there I suppose. You can go to Vancouver and spend all your time within 20 minutes of the hotel and still 'fill up' your days.   
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline CS91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: May 27, 2016, 01:32:36 PM »
Might just flip a coin.
Do it. When the coin is in the air, you'll know which place you want to go to more.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: May 27, 2016, 01:35:28 PM »
There's no willow stream spa in Whistler.
Is it worth the 3-4 hour roundtrip drive to Whistler in the summer as a day trip?
IF you do Vancouver, you've been already. Why not spend a night in Whistler? A few gorgeous places to stop on the drive up. Do white water rafting which was awesome. Then spend the next day in Whistler - go ATVing or something fun, ride the peak 2 peak gondola, etc.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3425 on: May 27, 2016, 01:36:17 PM »
Depends what kind of trip you're looking for. My sense is you'd be compelled to "run" more in FCO as compare to YVR.

If you're down to hit the ground running and continue running for what is indisputably a very quick transatlantic jump, by all means.

I can only answer as myself and for me, at this point, I'd lean towards YVR. Can take a bit more of my time, can enjoy the spa, can enjoy free hotel, can enjoy CX F, can enjoy beautiful YVR, can enjoy Omnitzky's and Maple Grill, can seaplane, can take quick trips to local BC islands, can go up to fishing lodge, etc etc.

To me, there's a certain relaxing aspect to not spending money, to not feeling like I'm required to run around and maximize. Again, comes down to the vacation you're looking for. Seems silly to me to fly to Rome to eat out.
Definitely would be more running in FCO.

Any TRs or details on going to BC islands, Whistler, etc?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3426 on: May 27, 2016, 01:37:51 PM »
IF you do Vancouver, you've been already. Why not spend a night in Whistler? A few gorgeous places to stop on the drive up. Do white water rafting which was awesome. Then spend the next day in Whistler - go ATVing or something fun, ride the peak 2 peak gondola, etc.
Definitely a possibility. I haven't properly research either destination without kids and my CX hold ends today.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Luvtotravel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: May 27, 2016, 01:44:32 PM »
a transatlantic flight and two-day rome trip seems more like something you would add on to an existing trip, not a self-standing one but that could just be me
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: May 27, 2016, 01:45:06 PM »
Definitely a possibility. I haven't properly research either destination without kids and my CX hold ends today.
(from my DW's never posted trip report)
We drove up to Squamish and went White Water Rafting with Canadian Outback. It was definitely the most organized and informative trip we ever went on. It was fun and we had a great guide-Graham and of course everyone wanted to know about religious Judaism thanks to my skirt. The scenery was unreal and it was a very worthwhile trip. Then we drove toward Whistler looking for a disposable grill which we never found. We did find the BrandyWine waterfalls and they were stunning. Then we drove onto the First Tracks Lodge in Whistler. Our hotel was fantastic and beautiful ($159 after $50 Expedia BPG coupon (the good old days) and free parking. However, I would probably stay at the Fairmont/Hilton in whistler village itself if I was doing it again.
Next day we went ATV'ing which was really a ton of fun, although they didn't let us go as fast as we wanted.
We didn't end up going to the top of the mountain in whistler as it was cloudy/foggy the whole time we were there. I wanted to go up to one of the information booths and ask them that I had heard they had mountains here and if they could let me know where they were it would be appreciated, but DW said it would be a chillul Hashem.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: May 27, 2016, 01:48:52 PM »
(from my DW's never posted trip report)
We drove up to Squamish and went White Water Rafting with Canadian Outback. It was definitely the most organized and informative trip we ever went on. It was fun and we had a great guide-Graham and of course everyone wanted to know about religious Judaism thanks to my skirt. The scenery was unreal and it was a very worthwhile trip. Then we drove toward Whistler looking for a disposable grill which we never found. We did find the BrandyWine waterfalls and they were stunning. Then we drove onto the First Tracks Lodge in Whistler. Our hotel was fantastic and beautiful ($159 after $50 Expedia BPG coupon (the good old days) and free parking. However, I would probably stay at the Fairmont/Hilton in whistler village itself if I was doing it again.
Next day we went ATV'ing which was really a ton of fun, although they didn't let us go as fast as we wanted.
We didn't end up going to the top of the mountain in whistler as it was cloudy/foggy the whole time we were there. I wanted to go up to one of the information booths and ask them that I had heard they had mountains here and if they could let me know where they were it would be appreciated, but DW said it would be a chillul Hashem.
Lol, good stuff. Why not finish the TR?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: May 27, 2016, 01:50:14 PM »
a transatlantic flight and two-day rome trip seems more like something you would add on to an existing trip, not a self-standing one but that could just be me
Before kids, true.
After kids, we don't really leave them for more than 3 days, so it is what it is. Unless you know someone wants a house in CLE with 2 kids?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: May 27, 2016, 01:50:38 PM »
Why not spend a night in Whistler?
No Fairmont free night space.
Worth day-tripping or too much of a shlep?

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: May 27, 2016, 01:51:36 PM »
Before kids, true.
After kids, we don't really leave them for more than 3 days, so it is what it is. Unless you know someone wants a house in CLE with 2 kids?

ALOL
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: May 27, 2016, 01:54:46 PM »
ALOL
+1
No Fairmont free night space.
Worth day-tripping or too much of a shlep?
Seriously? No free nights so you can't go? So stay at the Hilton. Or at the first tracks lodge

Offline emak

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: May 27, 2016, 02:17:02 PM »
Is it worth the 3-4 hour roundtrip drive to Whistler in the summer as a day trip?
Really a stunning drive. Highly recommended. I'd spend a night there though and drive back in the morning. The Peak to Peak gondola is a must-do. Even a day trip I'd consider.  We went on a zipline there that was the longest in North America, hundreds of feet over the trees below. Was a blast! The (free) suspension bridge was kind of on the way from YVR, so we stopped there on the way to Whistler.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 02:23:35 PM by emak »

Offline benjie1305

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3435 on: May 27, 2016, 02:29:03 PM »
Id rent a Vespa and tour Rome that way. Spend the day in Rome and check off many of the classics that need not be named (unless you are undecided as to which things to see in Rome).

Next day would potentially make it a very early morning to check out Vatican City and beat the crowds there. Kinda cool being in pretty much the smallest country in the world that also happens to have a lot of significance.

And finally, would then make the rest of my stay centered around things to see around Rome.

I have seen 2 of the places on this list last time I was in Rome and it seems he knows his stuff when it comes to maximizing a trip to Rome.

(Don't feel like if you can't see it all that it isn't worth the trip!)
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Matovu

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond,
« Reply #3436 on: May 27, 2016, 02:29:23 PM »
No way. You need 3 or 4 hours to Hike and take it in.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: May 27, 2016, 02:30:36 PM »
No way. You need 3 or 4 hours to Hike and take it in.
Even spending 8 hours of activities is theoretically a feasible day trip without kids.

Offline Matovu

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond,
« Reply #3438 on: May 27, 2016, 02:34:18 PM »
Even spending 8 hours of activities is theoretically a feasible day trip without kids.
I was saying that the driving and activities till Whistler in one day may just be exhausting

Offline emak

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: May 27, 2016, 02:36:35 PM »
I was saying that the driving and activities till Whistler in one day may just be exhausting
...but well worth it IMHO