Guatemala

Trip Reports

davidch
ponash123
Yaalili
Mordyk

Kosher Food Options in Antigua Guatemala

Kosher Food Options in Guatemala City

Kosher Food Options in San Pedro (Lake Atitlan)

Hotels with Points

Hilton Guatemala City
Hilton Garden Inn Guatemala City

Hyatt Centric Guatemala City (Cat #2). Review here.
El Convento Boutique Hotel (Antigua Guatemala) (Cat #3).
Bolontiku Boutique Hotel and Spa (Flores) (Cat #4).

Holiday Inn Guatemala City
Intercontinental Guatemala City

AC Hotel Guatemala City (Cat #2).
Courtyard Guatemala City (Cat #2).
The Westin Guatemala City (Cat #3).

Radisson Hotel & Suites Guatemala City (Cat #2).

Ramada by Wyndham Flores (Cat #1).

Transportation Options

Chabad Antigua has an option to book shuttles through their site, with schedules and all. https://www.chabadantigua.com/shuttles.

Major Activities

« Last edited by Mordyk on February 20, 2024, 01:00:20 PM »

Author Topic: Guatemala Master Thread  (Read 22506 times)

Offline mendyt

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Guatemala Master Thread
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2023, 10:35:06 PM »
Just an update, as it may be helpful for others.

I found this stuning airbnb with enough beds, it's in tzununá but it does have its own boat dock and private boats aren't that expensive at night. 
It's a brand new listing w/o reviews but it looks spectacular and the price was amazing too, hence, I'm taking the risk!

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/800801360285988207?guests=1&adults=1&s=67&unique_share_id=9a24998f-4fb7-44eb-81d4-30f50f8d7c75

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2023, 09:16:31 AM »

I found this stuning airbnb with enough beds, it's in tzununá but it does have its own boat dock and private boats aren't that expensive at night.
It's a brand new listing w/o reviews but it looks spectacular and the price was amazing too, hence, I'm taking the risk!

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/800801360285988207?guests=1&adults=1&s=67&unique_share_id=9a24998f-4fb7-44eb-81d4-30f50f8d7c75

Looks great! Let us know how it goes. That’s a really nice part of the lake, a popular stopping point for the trail between San Marcos and Jaibalito.

Offline TB12

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2023, 01:26:59 PM »

Thanks that is NEXT LEVEL gorgeous
Hope it works out !
Thinking abt late June w the fam, if this is as advertised I would book already before the price triples

Offline mendyt

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2023, 02:54:11 PM »
Thanks that is NEXT LEVEL gorgeous
Hope it works out !
Thinking abt late June w the fam, if this is as advertised I would book already before the price triples
Their cancelation policy is good, so book and worst case cancel later!
I do wonder how safe this would be with small kids, they mention that its not for little kids.

Ill report back after my stay iyh.

Offline TB12

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2023, 10:09:43 PM »
IINM the policy says any cancellations after 48 hrs will cost you 50%...

Looking forward to your report

Offline Centro

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2023, 05:54:04 PM »
Does anyone know if I can take along my own meat when traveling to Guatemala from the US or they'll confiscate it at the airport?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 05:57:57 PM by Centro »

Offline mendyt

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2023, 06:15:40 PM »
Does anyone know if I can take along my own meat when traveling to Guatemala from the US or they'll confiscate it at the airport?

Should be fine based on this 👇🏻
I would love to hear more feedback though, as we will be a group arriving together, which is an immediate flag to get stopped

No issues experienced in:
Peru
Ecuador
Guatemala

Galapagos: all bags are thoroughly checked at departure and if approved are then tamper-evident sealed. Expect an extremely thorough examination, they will tear through your bag and check every single thing. I followed all the rules to a T - it's complicated but they will find something if you try to sneak it in. I came prepared with a printout of their list with everything I had circled and the restrictions noted, and they really appreciated that.

One thing I was not expecting was a complete ban on plastic goods - there is nothing online but there's a giant sign in the airport. They allowed me to keep it after I promised to bring back all my trash.

Offline TB12

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2023, 01:03:07 PM »

Hey M
is that your review on AirBnB  ;D
Looking for the full report  ;)!

Offline mendyt

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2023, 02:49:10 PM »
Hey M
is that your review on AirBnB  ;D
Looking for the full report  ;)!
Yes it's my review written by chatgpt. 😂

I'll post here soon

Offline Mtl18

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2023, 02:57:58 PM »
Looking for recommendations on private drivers in Antigua. Thanks.

Offline efflpetzel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2023, 11:53:15 PM »

I'll post here soon

Bump

Very interested in reading your TR

Offline mendyt

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2023, 12:47:02 AM »
Bump

Very interested in reading your TR
Oh My, I completely forgot about this!
I will iyh get to it soon.

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2023, 04:20:25 AM »
I'm B"H planning to go with my wife in the next few weeks, I have a couple of questions

1) It looks like Antigua & Lake Atitlan are the places to check out (Flores & semuc Champay are just too far) so what the optimal amount of time to spend in each place? I can prob do either Sun - Thurs or Sun - Sun

2) At Lake Atitlan Is it realistic to stay in San Marcos/Santa Crus or even in Pana & hop over the lake to San Pedro to eat

3) Indian's Nose in Lake Atitlan or Pacaya Hike from Antigua?

4) As everything seems to be in cash, what's the optimal amount of cash to carry around, how often do people need an ATM

5) Do people book the different tours in Antigua through Chabad or on their own.

Thanks to @Yaalili & @ponash123 for the great wiki & fantastic Trip Reports

@mendyt we need that TR asap ;)

Offline The Thinker

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2023, 09:03:19 AM »
We went Thursday morn until Sunday night and did both Antigua and San Pedro. We stayed at Sababa in San Pedro and ate our meals at Chabad there. They're located right next to the water. We rented a shuttle boat for the day for about 100 dollars and had them take us to 4 or 5 villages. Chabad of both places helped us book our trips and vans. Not sure about optimal amount of cash, but it's not so easy to change over there. There can be long lines at the bank, and the only local ATM can be out of service. Just note that most places will not accept American cash with any sort of rip or tear in it. Make sure all the bills are fully intacct.

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2023, 11:31:28 AM »
We went Thursday morn until Sunday night and did both Antigua and San Pedro. We stayed at Sababa in San Pedro and ate our meals at Chabad there. They're located right next to the water. We rented a shuttle boat for the day for about 100 dollars and had them take us to 4 or 5 villages. Chabad of both places helped us book our trips and vans. Not sure about optimal amount of cash, but it's not so easy to change over there. There can be long lines at the bank, and the only local ATM can be out of service. Just note that most places will not accept American cash with any sort of rip or tear in it. Make sure all the bills are fully intacct.
Wow you make it sound like Sunday to Sunday is too much time

Offline The Thinker

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2023, 07:01:15 PM »
Definitely not. Come to think of it, I think we came back Tuesday morn. It was a very rushed trip. If you go for a week you shouldn't run out of things to do.

Offline mendyt

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2023, 07:02:55 PM »
I'm B"H planning to go with my wife in the next few weeks, I have a couple of questions

1) It looks like Antigua & Lake Atitlan are the places to check out (Flores & semuc Champay are just too far) so what the optimal amount of time to spend in each place? I can prob do either Sun - Thurs or Sun - Sun

2) At Lake Atitlan Is it realistic to stay in San Marcos/Santa Crus or even in Pana & hop over the lake to San Pedro to eat

3) Indian's Nose in Lake Atitlan or Pacaya Hike from Antigua?

4) As everything seems to be in cash, what's the optimal amount of cash to carry around, how often do people need an ATM

5) Do people book the different tours in Antigua through Chabad or on their own.

Thanks to @Yaalili & @ponash123 for the great wiki & fantastic Trip Reports

@mendyt we need that TR asap ;)
Sorry I haven't gotten to it, since it does take time 😊

1. I would say Sunday to Thursday is perfect, but having a Shabbos can be a very nice experience.  If you are choosing to stay for Shabbos, I would stay in Antigua.

2.  I didn't do Indian nose, because we didn't base our trip around hiking and after doing Acatenango, we had enough of nice views, and rather wanted to explore more towns.
     Acatenango is tough, but you can go with a jeep most of the way, and hike for only about 45 min.

3. San Marcos is a very peaceful place to stay, if you are into Yoga, mediation and these type of healing, then you will definitely enjoy the vibe and energy of the town, we were a group of 7 people so we had our boat driver all the time. 
It can take a lot of time traveling with the public boat from San Marcos to San Pedro, I therefore dont think its realistic to plan a stay in San Marcos and rely in food from San Pedro, Just bring along food!   IME the food in San Pedro was nothing special at all, we only ate one dinner there.

4. Amount of cash all depends on what you are going to do, people here made it sound as if there is no ATM to be found, I wouldn't totally disagree, it is definitely not so convenient as in the US, but we found more than one working ATM and we all took out more cash during the trip.   Plan wisely, have a decent amount, but if you will need more, you will definitely be able to find an ATM at some point

5. Chabad of Antigua is very helpful and they can help you with everything, that whole Chabad house is geared for tourists and Israeli backpackers

Offline ponash123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2023, 03:05:46 PM »
Looks like you answered it all!
Definitely reach out to Chabad, super helpful and can help you book activities

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
Re: Guatemala vacation
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2023, 01:17:36 AM »
We just spend an amazing 5 days in San Pedro as a family. I will post a trip report if anyone is interested.
I'm planning a trip and this would be extremely helpful.

Anyone here that has been with children to Antigua and San Pedro? I'm trying to see what activities there are that might interest them.
#TYH