Author Topic: DDF DO: NYC Edition?  (Read 1247351 times)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: DDF DO: NYC Edition?
« Reply #1680 on: June 10, 2012, 01:46:00 AM »
Just a pointer- some people may not feel comfortable eating by s/1 elses house, no matter what foods are served, or who is serving.

someone is free to express themselves if they feel that way.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Q274

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: barely
« Reply #1681 on: June 10, 2012, 01:52:49 AM »
May not be comfortable to say something- especially if they were signed up already to go.

Offline bhphotoman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: June 10, 2012, 03:24:35 AM »
Is there a list yet?

I am down for were ever if its on a Sunday any other day and i will have to make sure it does not conflict with work

BBQ sounds awesome

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: June 10, 2012, 10:32:07 AM »
In Crown Heights.

+1, Address will be sent via PM, for crowd control purposes :P

Just a pointer- some people may not feel comfortable eating by s/1 elses house, no matter what foods are served, or who is serving.

So many options:

1. Come and don't eat, it's all about the company anyway.
2.  You can bring your own LaBriute meal.
3. You can bring your own food, we'll double wrap it and throw it in the oven.
4. Bring a blow torch and kosher the grill.
5. Bring your own portable grill.
6. Stay home, your loss :P
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline David B

• View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold, IHC Gold, Hertz PC, National Executive
« Reply #1684 on: June 10, 2012, 01:50:47 PM »

And therein lies the problem with the Jewish Community today.... :(

Offline Q274

• View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: June 10, 2012, 02:30:26 PM »
And therein lies the problem with the Jewish Community today.... :(
why do u say that??? i say farket the fact that we are so diverse and each individual is so unique, it shows so much about the jewish community and how true it is. If it was just a cookie cutter religion, it 1)would never last 2) it would be a very fake religion. Each individual has to do what they understand to be correct NOT what they were spoofed when they were 12 years old and did not understand the meaning behind anything they were told.

Offline David B

• View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold, IHC Gold, Hertz PC, National Executive
« Reply #1686 on: June 10, 2012, 05:08:29 PM »
why do u say that??? i say farket the fact that we are so diverse and each individual is so unique, it shows so much about the jewish community and how true it is. If it was just a cookie cutter religion, it 1)would never last 2) it would be a very fake religion. Each individual has to do what they understand to be correct NOT what they were spoofed when they were 12 years old and did not understand the meaning behind anything they were told.

Two generations ago, when you traveled from one town in Europe to the other on your way somewhere, you welcomed the hospitality of any Ehrlich Yid you found along the way, and ate in his house without question or doubt. 

You didn't ask 100 questions, check out the local Vaad with your Rav, and only eat in third party establishments with a Machgiach temidi under only certain Hashgachos....  ::) there are scores of stories throughout Halachik sources -- from the Talmud to more modern responsa -- that share that exact anecdotal scenario....

I love the warm communities where nobody eats in anyone's house, even though they daven together every day, because nobody can trust anyone else's standard of Kashrus  :(

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: June 10, 2012, 05:20:41 PM »
Two generations ago, when you traveled from one town in Europe to the other on your way somewhere, you welcomed the hospitality of any Ehrlich Yid you found along the way, and ate in his house without question or doubt. 

You didn't ask 100 questions, check out the local Vaad with your Rav, and only eat in third party establishments with a Machgiach temidi under only certain Hashgachos....  ::) there are scores of stories throughout Halachik sources -- from the Talmud to more modern responsa -- that share that exact anecdotal scenario....

I love the warm communities where nobody eats in anyone's house, even though they daven together every day, because nobody can trust anyone else's standard of Kashrus   :(

I wouldn't say the main problem is trust. The problem is that not necessarily do me and you keep the same level of kashrus standards. 
(E.g. pas yisroel, cholov yisroel, and in general if you rely on hechshers that I don't rely on. . . )

Offline David B

• View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: June 10, 2012, 10:52:34 PM »
I wouldn't say the main problem is trust. The problem is that not necessarily do me and you keep the same level of kashrus standards. 
(E.g. pas yisroel, cholov yisroel, and in general if you rely on hechshers that I don't rely on. . . )

Understood....so then let someone ask whatever question is specifically relevant to them for a BBQ (i.e., hashgacha on the meat, pas yisroel) -- instead of the blanket statement that some may be uncomfortable eating in someone else's house.

I never met AsherO, but from what I've seen in his posts, why on earth wouldn't one eat in his backyard BBQ  ???

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: June 10, 2012, 11:05:17 PM »
Understood....so then let someone ask whatever question is specifically relevant to them for a BBQ (i.e., hashgacha on the meat, pas yisroel) -- instead of the blanket statement that some may be uncomfortable eating in someone else's house.

I never met AsherO, but from what I've seen in his posts, why on earth wouldn't one eat in his backyard BBQ  ???

Bec maybe the day before the BBQ his grill/knives/utensils had meat/sauces/dressing/spices that weren't up to par with anothers' standards.

My point is that its not just about the food, but I definitely agree with you that an outdoor BBQ should be less problematic (then a regular meal) for those that may have higher/different  standards nec theoreticaly everything used can be specified beforehand.

@AsherO, this not all directed at you and I hope you aren't taking it personal.
I'm just trying to explain David B. to be a bit more open minded.

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #1690 on: June 10, 2012, 11:06:08 PM »
@davidb Where in any of his posts do you see an assurance he's not grilling his meat with bugs? Huh?
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1691 on: June 10, 2012, 11:07:48 PM »
Where in any of his posts do you see an assurance he's not grilling his meat with bugs? Huh?
FTFY Things are done a bit different in Crown Heights its a local culture type thing.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline txtmax4

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: June 10, 2012, 11:09:19 PM »
@davidb Where in any of his posts do you see an assurance he's not grilling his meat with bugs? Huh?
Bugs is what people overlook when they go to a vegan restaurant and claim it's 100% kosher because there's no animal content in the food there.
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline David B

• View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: June 10, 2012, 11:28:46 PM »
Bugs is what people overlook when they go to a vegan restaurant and claim it's 100% kosher because there's no animal content in the food there.

And if you have bugs in your chopped meat you've got bigger problems than Kashrus!

I can't even believe some of the replies above...

Keep that Ben Adam L'Makom going strong, and let's make sure we insult anyone we possibly can in the process....who cares about Ben Adam L'Chaveiro....as long as I only eat "Heimish hechscherim", Olam Haba is waiting for me ::)

And to even bring up a discussion of bugs in a 100% Vegan restaurant (which I assume has no Hashgacha) -- is not even remotely comparable to eating in the home of an Ehrlich Yid (whose house probably doesn't have a Teudah from Hisachdus Ha'Rabanim or the Chuster Rav)

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #1694 on: June 10, 2012, 11:36:05 PM »
Accept a tiny touch of humor. It doesn't bite.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: June 10, 2012, 11:37:19 PM »
Accept a tiny touch of humor. It doesn't bite.
I think this is the first time in my life where I agreed with a meshugener :)

Offline Q274

• View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: June 11, 2012, 01:22:55 AM »
Ok it seems like david b had a rough day- we apologize. My point (and my only point) is that perhaps let us say for instance I had agreed to join this coming up do, and then the venue is change to ashero's house, I am not confident I would pipe up and say I can't come then, bec that is not so nice to ashero (although I must say that I would eat by him, this is a theoretical) and since we also care about bein adam lechaveiro, I might be put in a very uncomfortable situation since the venue was moved from a place with a hashgacha to place "without one"

Offline Galitzyaner

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: June 11, 2012, 05:09:05 AM »
as of now im in.  .......  id rather a place closer to CH (not in CH unless its at AsherO's place which is just fine) and id prefer a cheaper place.
I'm in. BBQ at AsherO's place sounds great, or one of the places in the city that people agree on.
+1 on a BBQ by AsherO :)
+1! :D

Offline David B

• View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: June 11, 2012, 09:52:10 AM »
Ok it seems like david b had a rough day- we apologize. My point (and my only point) is that perhaps let us say for instance I had agreed to join this coming up do, and then the venue is change to ashero's house, I am not confident I would pipe up and say I can't come then, bec that is not so nice to ashero (although I must say that I would eat by him, this is a theoretical) and since we also care about bein adam lechaveiro, I might be put in a very uncomfortable situation since the venue was moved from a place with a hashgacha to place "without one"

Understood....

I caught Meshugener's joke, but didn't agree with the analogy to a Vegan restaurant with no Hashgacha.

And if in the hypothetical, you didn't feel comfortable going to someone's house, you can just say a conflict arose and you can't make it -- no harm done. 

IMO it would be perfectly OK to ask what kind of meat would be used -- if that is a particular concern to someone and you only eat a certain kind of meat (or rolls, yoshon, etc.)

Better yet, you can even offer to bring meat with your special meticulous Hashgacha or shechita to eat and share with others :)  That would be the most hospitable way to handle.

While I trust AsherO implicitly, I can't make it on Sunday, but would have loved to join.

And if I ever will be hosting a DO in Westchester (which I'm happy to do), you're welcome to make a surprise visit to check my pantry any time :)

Sorry to have taken the thread OT.....

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: June 11, 2012, 11:43:06 AM »
I caught Meshugener's joke, but didn't agree with the analogy to a Vegan restaurant with no Hashgacha.
How was that an analogy?