Author Topic: Which Miles/Points Do You Burn Most Frequently?  (Read 6803 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Which Miles/Points Do You Burn Most Frequently?
« on: July 29, 2015, 11:49:29 PM »
It would require accurate and updated records, but what miles/points do you burn most often?

My numbers, represented as a percentage of the total, are below:

I guess I'm not shocked by how often it appears I redeem UA miles considering the majority were before the "Halloween Horror" and how easily it was, until recently, to accrue UR.  Also, it seems I've barely touched my SPG...

What are your numbers?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dr Moose

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Which Miles/Points Do You Burn Most Frequently?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 12:02:50 AM »
how did you come to those numbers? you manually went thru everything?
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 12:06:58 AM »
how did you come to those numbers? you manually went thru everything?

I keep a spreadsheet of every trip I take, date, route, miles used, cost, redemption value (based on market price, right or wrong), and CPM.

... doesn't everyone?  :D
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 08:52:32 AM »
... I guess not.

Surprising, though, considering the level of organization it takes to be successful in this hobby. I figured most of you would keep track.

Too bad. Data mining for stuff like this is insightful. Pivot tables are not just for geeks! (Or are they? )

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 09:00:56 AM »
Don't keep that type of detail,  but I definitely use ba more than anything else

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 09:02:43 AM »
Don't keep that type of detail,  but I definitely use ba more than anything else
You could probably compile the details from your email confirmations if you were so inclined.

But BA makes sense.

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 09:06:12 AM »
You could probably compile the details from your email confirmations if you were so inclined.

But BA makes sense.
Certainly in terms of quantity of tickets... Can't even count those

Offline MC

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 09:39:23 AM »
No fancy chart for me, but UA would undoubtably be my top one.

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 09:40:47 AM »
I look at it a bit differently. Since the majority of redemptions come from UR/MR transfers then its really those that I'm using.

Similarly, I don't figure out how many Shekels I spent in Israel, it's how many Dollars were used.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 09:43:50 AM »
If SPG transferred instantly I'm confident you'd burn more of yours.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline coralsnake

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 09:46:05 AM »
It's also skewed because Hilton points currency is like the shekels:dollars for most everything else.

Offline enwhycee

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 09:50:35 AM »
Surprised you don't use the companion pass as much..

But after my latest: NYC-MDW-MBJ and NYC-MDW-CHS flights. I understand.  :D

Offline nobiggy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 10:05:26 AM »
AA. Thanks to the 100k cc bonus I've burned 300k and still have 300k left :)

Offline DMYD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 10:08:45 AM »
... I guess not.

Surprising, though, considering the level of organization it takes to be successful in this hobby. I figured most of you would keep track.

Too bad. Data mining for stuff like this is insightful. Pivot tables are not just for geeks! (Or are they? )
I would like to see a chart with the amounts burned, not just %.

Offline dpk4588

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 10:41:36 AM »
I keep a spreadsheet of every trip I take, date, route, miles used, cost, redemption value (based on market price, right or wrong), and CPM.

... doesn't everyone?  :D
I have one (and I'm sure we're not the only ones), I also track my highest, lowest, and average redemption for each currency.

What do you do for your transferred UR/MR/SPG/TYP? Treat them like the currency you transferred them to?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein

Offline yoruel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 10:58:43 AM »
@AJK.
What is your time frame?
I see this year 1.75 mm burned.

Offline coralsnake

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 11:13:18 AM »
What do you do for your transferred UR/MR/SPG/TYP? Treat them like the currency you transferred them to?
Clearly yes.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 11:51:25 AM »

I look at it a bit differently. Since the majority of redemptions come from UR/MR transfers then its really those that I'm using.

It's an interesting point, but I dunno, I don't view it like that. To me, UR and MR are really just temporary containers for miles that are to be used in other programs. The value is that these points can be instantly transferred to other programs, and it's those programs one is really using.
If SPG transferred instantly I'm confident you'd burn more of yours.
Perhaps. But I'd still sooner use the other flexible currencies because those are easier to accrue and don't have the same potential value for hotel stays.
It's also skewed because Hilton points currency is like the shekels:dollars for most everything else.
Good point. I guess I could multiply each by their value on the market and use the resulting figures as a more accurate representation. Not sure.
Surprised you don't use the companion pass as much..

But after my latest: NYC-MDW-MBJ and NYC-MDW-CHS flights. I understand.  :D
I tend to travel internationally significantly more than domestic. But I have gotten value out it, no doubt.

I have one (and I'm sure we're not the only ones), I also track my highest, lowest, and average redemption for each currency.

Finally! Someone who tracks like they should ;)

When you track highest, lowest, etc, you mean # of points used for a single award? What's that tell you?
@AJK.
What is your time frame?
I see this year 1.75 mm burned.
Time frame is since mid 2011 or so.

Offline dpk4588

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 12:34:32 PM »
To me, UR and MR are really just temporary containers for miles that are to be used in other programs. The value is that these points can be instantly transferred to other programs, and it's those programs one is really using.
Yes they are holding programs, but I think its important to know what kind of value I get when i redeem it with one transfer partner over another. Meaning if I usually get 2.25 CPP when I use my UA transferred from UR, but I get 2.5 CPP when I use Hyatt transferred from UR, going forward I'll save my UR for Hyatt over UA.

Finally! Someone who tracks like they should ;)

When you track highest, lowest, etc, you mean # of points used for a single award? What's that tell you?

I track the value I got on each award and I have a max, min, and avg redemption value. I'm not sure if there's any real value in it. It's just something I like to see, if I'm getting great value out of a specific currency in general or if I just got great value once.

When you get your redemption value, you said you use market price, I assume you mean the price at which you'd be able to sell those miles?

Since I don't really sell my miles I get my value based on its relationship to the cash cost of the ticket/hotel.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 12:44:36 PM »
Yes they are holding programs, but I think its important to know what kind of value I get when i redeem it with one transfer partner over another. Meaning if I usually get 2.25 CPP when I use my UA transferred from UR, but I get 2.5 CPP when I use Hyatt transferred from UR, going forward I'll save my UR for Hyatt over UA.

I track the value I got on each award and I have a max, min, and avg redemption value. I'm not sure if there's any real value in it. It's just something I like to see, if I'm getting great value out of a specific currency in general or if I just got great value once.

When you get your redemption value, you said you use market price, I assume you mean the price at which you'd be able to sell those miles?

Since I don't really sell my miles I get my value based on its relationship to the cash cost of the ticket/hotel.

But to say you'll save your UR for Hyatt over UA because *generally* you get more value that way is to disregard the fact that each transfer is discrete and must be viewed in and of itself. I understand the purpose of establishing a base line average, but to save them for one partner over the other overlooks that you can judge a single potential transfer on its own merits.

It's pretty easy to determine the value of the points before you transfer to the partner in question.

And by value I mean the market cost of the underlying flight or hotel, not the price for which the underlying points can be sold for to brokers.