Author Topic: Which Miles/Points Do You Burn Most Frequently?  (Read 6853 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Which Miles/Points Do You Burn Most Frequently?
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 12:59:43 PM »
AJK, I wonder how differently your chart would look if each percentage wasn't based on how many points you redeemed for that program, but instead a product of what percentage of points earned in that program were redeemed. This would to some extent mitigate the issue cited above regarding Hilton.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 01:01:54 PM »
If I understand you correctly, that's what I pondered above in response to coralsnake. Suggestions for the #s by which to multiply?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline dpk4588

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 01:20:31 PM »
But to say you'll save your UR for Hyatt over UA because *generally* you get more value that way is to disregard the fact that each transfer is discrete and must be viewed in and of itself. I understand the purpose of establishing a base line average, but to save them for one partner over the other overlooks that you can judge a single potential transfer on its own merits.
True, UR are harder to come by, and that is my only source of Hyatt. That would be the case with the other transfer partners that down have their own card with which to earn.

But in theory I guess you're right. In a world where I have enough of everything to go around each transaction should be looked individually, but at least in my case, I don't have an endless amount of UR.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein

Offline twentie4hrs

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 01:33:00 PM »
How do you use so few BA? Not going domestically too much in comparison?
A penny saved is 1 cent

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2015, 01:50:05 PM »
My guess for Dan is 80% UA
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline CS1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2015, 02:07:48 PM »
I keep a spreadsheet of every trip I take, date, route, miles used, cost, redemption value (based on market price, right or wrong), and CPM.

... doesn't everyone?  :D

do you have the info to make a column next to it of the percentage earned? (i.e. 200K SPG and 600K UA earned would be corresponding percentages/proportions)
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline dpk4588

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2015, 02:22:12 PM »
AJK, I wonder how differently your chart would look if each percentage wasn't based on how many points you redeemed for that program, but instead a product of what percentage of points earned in that program were redeemed. This would to some extent mitigate the issue cited above regarding Hilton.
I know you asked AJK, but I'm curious as to what you mean. Do you mean to know what percentage of the UA that hes earned he's redeemed?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein

Offline yos9694

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2015, 04:16:35 PM »
Also, it seems I've barely touched my SPG...

That's not a conclusion you could draw just from looking at the table though- unless your stockpile of each type of points was equal. If not, it would be quite possible to use up 100% of the SPG points you've collected and only 1% of the UA points you collected and still have the same % in your table. You would get a lot more out of the analysis if you added a column showing used as a percent of collected for each type, and then you could start to draw conclusions about relative value and relative difficulty of accumulating.

Offline CS1

• View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2015, 04:31:40 PM »
That's not a conclusion you could draw just from looking at the table though- unless your stockpile of each type of points was equal. If not, it would be quite possible to use up 100% of the SPG points you've collected and only 1% of the UA points you collected and still have the same % in your table. You would get a lot more out of the analysis if you added a column showing used as a percent of collected for each type, and then you could start to draw conclusions about relative value and relative difficulty of accumulating.

yes --- that's exactly why I asked this question:
do you have the info to make a column next to it of the percentage earned? (i.e. 200K SPG and 600K UA earned would be corresponding percentages/proportions)
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2015, 04:40:54 PM »

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Do you mean have a column showing the number of XX miles earned as a percentage of the total amount earned?

I can provide that if so, but I'm not sure how meaningful it would be because, for instance, UR would show as a smaller percentage because most of my UR have been earned through MS, not signup bonuses.

You're exactly right; the problem is, I don't have data for how much I've collected beyond what I've earned from signup bonuses, so if I provided added a column showing used as a percent of collected for each type, it wouldn't be very telling, as alluded to above.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2015, 04:54:42 PM »
Why is it harder to accrue UR nowadays?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2015, 04:56:35 PM »
Why is it harder to accrue UR nowadays?

Chase has become stricter on those they conclude are "gamers."

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2015, 04:58:58 PM »
Do you have personal experience? I've only seen that from the bloggers (who, for the most part, were just pulling data from readers' comments), and I'd like to see a report from someone I actually trust. :P

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2015, 05:03:21 PM »
Do you have personal experience? I've only seen that from the bloggers (who, for the most part, were just pulling data from readers' comments), and I'd like to see a report from someone I actually trust. :P

Haven't applied for a UR card in a bit; but you'd apparently be surprised to learn that I trust the reports of others, especially when those reports come in the quantity and varied locations they have.

Offline nobiggy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2015, 05:09:54 PM »
I've had a hard time.

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2015, 05:20:42 PM »

Is this referring specifically to accruing via churning? Or are these "reports" referring to accruing UR on open cards? It sounds like churners as I wonder what issue they would cause for people just using their UR earning cards. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2015, 05:23:01 PM »
Is this referring specifically to accruing via churning? Or are these "reports" referring to accruing UR on open cards? It sounds like churners as I wonder what issue they would cause for people just using their UR earning cards. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Churning alone.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2015, 05:36:59 PM »
Haven't applied for a UR card in a bit; but you'd apparently be surprised to learn that I trust the reports of others, especially when those reports come in the quantity and varied locations they have.
Same. I hear ya. I guess I'll find out myself one day (soon?)

Offline DMYD

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2015, 08:11:32 PM »
Same. I hear ya. I guess I'll find out myself one day (soon?)
I personally didn't apply since supposedly the crackdown, but I did help a few with applying, and they all had a hard time getting approved for their cards.

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2015, 08:20:44 PM »
Do you have personal experience? I've only seen that from the bloggers (who, for the most part, were just pulling data from readers' comments), and I'd like to see a report from someone I actually trust.
I tried last week...  Could not get it approved. They are not budging

Eta: and I am not a big churner by DDF standards,  maybe 3 chase in the past year
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:26:59 PM by lunatic »