Topic Wiki

Thread summary:

Trump walks in a room.

1. Moshe123 shoots at him because he is pure evil, 2. ilherman+hachover jump in front of the bullets because Trump is our savior. 3. aygart tackles Moshe123 because Trump is better than HRC, 4. but Baruch can't stand Trump so he tells aygart he's crazy and Trump is a madman. 5. ExGingi would like to point out that who cares what he is, all that matters is the supreme court nominations. 6. Dan and others aren't really sure how this makes them feel plus they don't really want to drink poison. 7. Spoiler alert: Moshe123's gun was empty, it was just a blank.

And Freddie is in the back of the room just cooking his cholent. Until he announces that there are TWO menu choices, Pareve Cholent or Vegetable Lasagna. While etech0 figured out that they are both poisoned.

Repeat x100.

And then Hilary walks into the room with the most confidence a candidate has had in recent history. She is so confident that she eats both the Pareve Cholent and Vegetable Lasagna. Everyone is the room is aghast, they don't know how this happened, could it be Comey is behind this poisoning or was it that her Obamacare premiums were to high to get her the help she needed.

Everyone stared as she choked and was cast into oblivion on November, 8, 2016 the last day she was heard from in the public eye.

Moshe123, ilherman, hachover, Baruch, ExGingi, Dan, Freddie, etech0, and the rest of America are in total shock and hope that so long as Trump doesn't eat any Pareve Cholent and Vegetable Lasagna and stays true to his supreme court nominees this may be the greatest thing to happen since the CSR and GC's.

But remember this may be the beginning of the end...

P.S. Thanks to cognitive dissonance aygart, Michael Moore, and Scott Adams knew the whole time that Trump could win, unfortunately for JTZ he may be off DDF for the next 4 years due to his mandatory 3 times daily consumption of CROW!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub notes:

Nov 8 : Time to edit the wiki. Biggest upset in American History according to Michael Isikoff.

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=57647.0

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton_vs_johnson_vs_stein-5952.html
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump?lang=en
http://blog.dilbert.com/
http://fivethirtyeight.com/
All Political Ads - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvuOH0oJFwElBgRKz-eMlLw

As things turns out, the most prescient view on this election was that of Michael Moore! Though Scott Adams is also claiming a high view level of prescience.

Poll

Who are you voting for?

Clinton
12 (10.3%)
Trump
67 (57.3%)
Johnson
2 (1.7%)
Other (Write in)
8 (6.8%)
I don't vote in general and won't be voting this year
9 (7.7%)
I do vote in general, but won't be this year
19 (16.2%)

Total Members Voted: 117

Author Topic: US Politics/2016 Election Pick Your Poison Master Thread  (Read 3965670 times)

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: US Politics/2016 Election Pick Your Poison Master Thread
« Reply #21760 on: June 28, 2018, 02:58:49 PM »
The question is now that workforce regulations cover the standard of Union workers, do you believe that Unions should exist in such a powerful format @ChaimMoskowitz
I wouldn't agree they are powerful meaning businesses have the upper hand. There are some situations where unions have the upper hand like teachers unions.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #21761 on: June 28, 2018, 03:54:42 PM »
If you don't like the rules that were democratically voted for then leave. In this case find a job were you are not freeloading off due paying members.
And the gated community homeowner's association voted that they will collect $100 from each member to give to the local Church of Scientology. These rules were voted for democratically. If you don't like the community then leave!
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #21762 on: June 28, 2018, 04:07:17 PM »
And the gated community homeowner's association voted that they will collect $100 from each member to give to the local Church of Scientology. These rules were voted for democratically. If you don't like the community then leave!
OK or vote them out.

Offline Boruch999

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21763 on: June 28, 2018, 04:17:17 PM »
OK or vote them out.
You may as well use the Constitution as toilet paper, or move to Venezuela, or both.  The Constitution enshrines individual liberties against encroachment by the majority.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #21764 on: June 28, 2018, 04:21:18 PM »
You may as well use the Constitution as toilet paper, or move to Venezuela, or both.  The Constitution enshrines individual liberties against encroachment by the majority.
If SCOTUS is going to overturn long standing decisions based on politics then we are all going to need some toilet paper. Depending on your political beliefs you will just need it at different times.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #21765 on: June 28, 2018, 04:25:45 PM »
OK or vote them out.
I can tell you that the vote would get overturned by any court in this country in a heartbeat. This is the core or constitutional protections and a blatant violation of the establishment clause. The same goes for coercing or limiting political speech. A majority has no right to do that. Majorities can be extremely tyrannical. It is easy to find many examples of that throughout history. The purpose of these amendments to the constitution is to protect against exactly this attitude of yours. This attitude is clearly counter to the founding pricipals of this country and that you wrote them is extremely concerning. That you seem to believe in the ability of the majority to coerce individual freedom is very telling.

This is more based on your reply about the homeowners assoc than about the union which I agree is much more complex. Even regarding the union the answer is not that this is what the majority voted so too bad. That is definitely unconstitional.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 04:29:05 PM by aygart »

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #21766 on: June 28, 2018, 04:32:34 PM »
I can tell you that the vote would get overturned by any court in this country in a heartbeat. This is the core or constitutional protections and a blatant violation of the establishment clause. The same goes for coercing or limiting political speech. A majority has no right to do that. Majorities can be extremely tyrannical. It is easy to find many examples of that throughout history. The purpose of these amendments to the constitution is to protect against exactly this attitude of yours. This attitude is clearly counter to the founding pricipals of this country and that you wrote them is extremely concerning. That you seem to believe in the ability of the majority to coerce individual freedom is very telling.

This is more based on your reply about the homeowners assoc than about the union which I agree is much more complex.
Anyone can come up with examples to twist things as you did and I played along. This discussion is about unions.
What we have is what seems like a political court overturning a long standing practice. It you don't see the danger in that nothing I say will change that.

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #21767 on: June 28, 2018, 04:47:58 PM »
If SCOTUS is going to overturn long standing decisions based on politics then we are all going to need some toilet paper. Depending on your political beliefs you will just need it at different times.
I don't know which long standing decisions you are referring to.  I was specifically responding to your suggestion that a majority of condo dwellers can force a religion on all condo dwellers.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #21768 on: June 28, 2018, 04:52:21 PM »
I don't know which long standing decisions you are referring to.  I was specifically responding to your suggestion that a majority of condo dwellers can force a religion on all condo dwellers.
I wasn't serious about the condo dwellers. SCOTUS overturned a 41 year old decision. It said non-members should have to pay for collective bargaining that they benefit from. How is that against our constitution?

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #21769 on: June 28, 2018, 05:02:46 PM »
I wasn't serious about the condo dwellers. SCOTUS overturned a 41 year old decision. It said non-members should have to pay for collective bargaining that they benefit from. How is that against our constitution?
I'm sorry for missing the joke.

They held that having to pay for something they had no choice to opt out of was akin to compelled speech and violated the First Amendment.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #21770 on: June 28, 2018, 05:06:19 PM »
It doesn't look like you are understanding what I wrote. I will try to elaborate later or maybe look over again and see that we are not really disagreeing about that only you are taking it too far.

The opinion of the court regarding whether or not the travel ban was discriminatory has two parts to it. One is whether or not the EO was in and of itself discriminatory and the second was if the rhetoric used by the Administration can be used to show that even if it is not discriminatory on its face it is was still done for discriminatory purposes. The court ruled that they may only use the rule itself to judge whether or not it is discriminatory and cannot consider other context.

The opinion of the court was that a rule CAN be considered discriminatory even if it does not expressly include discrimination. This is called Rational Basis Scrutiny and is addressed explicitly in the opinion.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/rational_basis
Rational BasisOverviewRational basis review is a test courts may ise to determine the constitutionality of a statute or ordinance. To pass rational basis review, the challenged law must be rationally related to a legitimate government interest. Rational basis is the most lenient form of judicial review, as both strict scrutiny and intermediate scrutiny are considered more stringent. Rational basis review is generally used when in cases where no fundamental rights or suspect classifications are at issue.  Origin and TestThe phrase "rational basis" was first described in U.S. v. Carolene Products (1938). In order for a statute or ordinance to pass rational basis review:the statute or ordinance must have a legitimate state interest
  • there must be a rational connection between the statute's/ordinance's means and goals
The court's opinion was that this order passes such scrutiny.
Given the standard of review, it should come as no surprise that the Court hardly ever strikes down a policyas illegitimate under rational basis scrutiny. On the few occasions where we have done so, a common thread has been that the laws at issue lack any purpose other than a “bare . . . desire to harm a politically unpopular group.” Department of Agriculture v. Moreno, 413 U. S. 528, 534 (1973). In one case, we invalidated a local zoning ordinance that required a special permit for group homes for the intellectually disabled, but not for other facilities suchas fraternity houses or hospitals. We did so on the ground that the city’s stated concerns about (among other things) “legal responsibility” and “crowded conditions” rested on“an irrational prejudice” against the intellectually disabled. Cleburne v. Cleburne Living Center, Inc., 473 U. S. 432, 448–450 (1985) (internal quotation marks omitted).And in another case, this Court overturned a state constitutional amendment that denied gays and lesbians accessto the protection of antidiscrimination laws. The amendment, we held, was “divorced from any factual contextfrom which we could discern a relationship to legitimatestate interests,” and “its sheer breadth [was] so discontinuous with the reasons offered for it” that the initiative seemed “inexplicable by anything but animus.” Romer v. Evans, 517 U. S. 620, 632, 635 (1996). The Proclamation does not fit this pattern. It cannot be said that it is impossible to “discern a relationship to legitimate state interests” or that the policy is “inexplicable by anything but animus.” Indeed, the dissent can only attempt to argue otherwise by refusing to apply anything resembling rational basis review. But because there is legitimate grounding in national security concerns, quite apart from any religious hostility, we must accept that independent justification.
The Proclamation is expressly premised on legitimate purposes: preventing entry of nationals who cannot be adequately vetted and inducing other nations to improve their practices. The text says nothing about religion. Plaintiffs and the dissent nonetheless emphasize that five of the seven nations currently included in the Proclamation have Muslim-majority populations. Yet that fact alone does not support an inference of religious hostility, given that the policy covers just 8% of the world’s Muslim population and is limited to countries that were previously designated by Congress or prior administrations as posing national security risks. .......
The Proclamation, moreover, reflects the results of a worldwide review process undertaken by multiple Cabinetofficials and their agencies. ......Three additional features of the entry policy support theGovernment’s claim of a legitimate national security interest. First, since the President introduced entry restrictions in January 2017, three Muslim-majority countries—Iraq, Sudan, and Chad—have been removed from the list of covered countries.........Second, for those countries that remain subject to entryrestrictions, the Proclamation includes significant exceptions for various categories of foreign nationals. The policy permits nationals from nearly every covered countryto travel to the United States on a variety of nonimmigrant visas.........Third, the Proclamation creates a waiver program open to all covered foreign nationals seeking entry as immigrants or nonimmigrants.....

This means that based on the legal scrutiny given to the EO itself the court found that it was not a Muslim ban. GOALPOST!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 05:11:01 PM by aygart »

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #21771 on: June 28, 2018, 05:10:37 PM »
They held that having to pay for something they had no choice to opt out of was akin to compelled speech and violated the First Amendment.
Come on. We have to pay for numerous things we can't opt out of. I pay taxes for schools without receiving any benefit. Here they are getting big benefits.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #21772 on: June 28, 2018, 05:12:36 PM »
I'm sorry for missing the joke.

You missed the boat. They found that the issue was that they were being forced to pay for political advocacy and binding negotiations they were opposed to. Their needing to pay was not in and of itself an issue but rather what they were coerced to pay for.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 05:54:01 PM by aygart »

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #21773 on: June 28, 2018, 05:15:01 PM »
The opinion of the court regarding whether or not the travel ban was discriminatory has two parts to it. One is whether or not the EO was in and of itself discriminatory and the second was if the rhetoric used by the Administration can be used to show that even if it is not discriminatory on its face it is was still done for discriminatory purposes. The court ruled that they may only use the rule itself to judge whether or not it is discriminatory and cannot consider other context.
I only said this a hundred times.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #21774 on: June 28, 2018, 05:16:13 PM »
I only said this a hundred times.
This means that the court ruled that the EO is NOT a muslim ban!

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #21775 on: June 28, 2018, 05:17:10 PM »
You missed the boat. They found that the issue was that they were being forced to pay for political advocacy they were opposed to. The rest was not an issue.
If that is the case then they still have to pay dues for the collective bargaining part? You should read SCOTUS's decision 41 years ago.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 05:21:07 PM by ChaimMoskowitz »

Offline aygart

• View Profile

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #21777 on: June 28, 2018, 05:20:21 PM »
This means that the court ruled that the EO is NOT a muslim ban!
Like I said a hundred times they will not consider anything that is not in the EO. Also as I said a hundred times if Trump didn't say in the EO he was doing this to ban Muslims what else can they find?

Offline aygart

• View Profile

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #21779 on: June 28, 2018, 05:23:56 PM »
What does it say about someone when their posts are the exact some things/context Trump posts?