Author Topic: Torah & Hashkafa Questions (PC Free For All)  (Read 161274 times)

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Torah & Hashkafa Questions (PC Free For All)
« Reply #1600 on: November 23, 2023, 12:24:55 AM »
Rabbi Avigdor Miller regarding above discussion:

https://jmp.sh/s/VcF6E1zT4SoCszFGAcCJ
Interesting, but I am going to trust the many cited sources in their judgment of יסודי הדת.

Offline sam2015

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: November 23, 2023, 12:34:02 AM »
Interesting, but I am going to trust the many cited sources in their judgment of יסודי הדת.

Something which many people fail to understand is that there’s a mesorah when it comes to these topics. It’s very nice that someone can find let’s say a Ralbag in Nach which says xyz, but the litvish yeshivos had a certain mesorah and that’s what should be followed. My mesorah is from the Chofetz Chaim. If you can find seforim that say otherwise, very nice. But it doesn’t mean anything. The litvish yeshivos followed the Chovos Halevovos. To start bringing sources that may say differently is very nice but should not matter. There’s mesorah in Hashkafa just like in Halacha.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: November 23, 2023, 12:37:49 AM »
Something which many people fail to understand is that there’s a mesorah when it comes to these topics. It’s very nice that someone can find let’s say a Ralbag in Nach which says xyz, but the litvish yeshivos had a certain mesorah and that’s what should be followed. My mesorah is from the Chofetz Chaim. If you can find seforim that say otherwise, very nice. But it doesn’t mean anything. The litvish yeshivos followed the Chovos Halevovos. To start bringing sources that may say differently is very nice but should not matter. There’s mesorah in Hashkafa just like in Halacha.
Hmm. Where is the mesorah on this topic to be found?

"The litvish yeshivos followed the Chovos Halevovos"
As pointed out above it's not clear what his position on the matter is.

I have no idea on what grounds you make these assertions.

Online Definitions2

• View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: November 23, 2023, 12:43:26 AM »

My mind is quite dense at the moment. Nothing is penetrating. I'll have to look at this later.
Are you saying that you don't think the chovos halevovos is correct (I don't mean this in a condescending or accusing way) and think the opinion that people can affect other people is correct?

Offline sam2015

• View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: November 23, 2023, 12:45:35 AM »
Hmm. Where is the mesorah on this topic to be found?

שאל אביך ויגדך, זקניך ויאמרו לך, for hundreds of years a certain mehalech was taught in the Yeshivos. Do you actually think if a talmid were to show the Chofetz Chaim for example a Ralbag that says otherwise he would actually change his shittah? When dealing with hashkafa it’s exceedingly important to have a Rebbe who has a mesorah from the previous generations and not follow someone who decides to write an ‘essay’ on the topic and now is the expert and you can pick and choose what you like.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: November 23, 2023, 12:48:44 AM »
Are you saying that you don't think the chovos halevovos is correct (I don't mean this in a condescending or accusing way) and think the opinion that people can affect other people is correct?
As I've been saying, the Chovos Halevovos needs work. But to your question, no, just saying that Reb Avigdor Miller telling me that the אור החיים  and the נצי"ב have the יסודי הדת wrong doesn't mean much to me.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: November 23, 2023, 12:51:34 AM »
שאל אביך ויגדך, זקניך ויאמרו לך, for hundreds of years a certain mehalech was taught in the Yeshivos.
Who's yeshiva, yours? It's been around for hundreds of years?
Do you actually think if a talmid were to show the Chofetz Chaim for example a Ralbag that says otherwise he would actually change his shittah?
Totally confused now where the Chofetz Chaim and the Ralbag come into this conversation.
when dealing with hashkafa it’s exceedingly important to have a Rebbe who has a mesorah from the previous generations and not follow someone who decides to write an ‘essay’ on the topic and now is the expert and you can pick and choose what you like.
Is this a joke? You are refering to Rav Yaakov Hillel Shlita as "someone who decided to write an essay"?

Offline sam2015

• View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: November 23, 2023, 12:55:27 AM »
But to your question, no, just saying that Reb Avigdor Miller telling me that the אור החיים  and the נצי"ב have the יסודי הדת wrong doesn't mean much to me.

It just means you may not fully understand the cited sources. What R’ Miller says is not coming from himself. It’s what was taught by his Rebbiem in Europe and what was taught by their Rebbeim, as he said over many times. That was the mesorah in those Yeshivos.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: November 23, 2023, 01:03:00 AM »
It just means you may not fully understand the cited sources.
I guess i'm in good company with Rav Yaakov Hillel...
What R’ Miller says is not coming from himself. It’s what was taught by his Rebbiem in Europe and what was taught by their Rebbeim, as he said over many times. That was the mesorah.
Your are going to have to link where he said that because it's not in that recording. You are making the case that there is some sort of oral tradition over hundreds of years that a בעל בחירה cannot kill someone who wasn't decreed to die? That is ridiculous.

Offline mevinyavin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #1609 on: November 23, 2023, 05:22:05 AM »
I haven't looked up any of the sources brought above, so excuse me if something is being repeated here.
For the record, when RYBs talks about this subject, he says that it is a rarity that people get "sacrificed on the altar of bechira" - that is, so that bechira continues to exist for everybody, yesh neesaf blo mishpat - and they get rewarded for it. He then emphasized again that this is a rarity. I can try to dig up a recording for it but I doubt I will find it (timewise).
In addition to that, there are the people who put themselves in sakana. The middas hadin is mekatreg and someone who had deserved to die but had some application of rachmanus holding it at bay will die. Had he stayed out of the makom sakana the rachmanus would have stayed the verdict.
I once heard from Rav Brudny (in person) that there is also the middle guy, who does NOT deserve to die at all but is in a makom sakana. In that case, Hashem gives him the opportunity to earn the hatzala, but if he fails the test he will die too. (He said the same is true for anyone affected by him peripherally. For example, you have the guy who does deserve to die but his wife doesn't deserve to be an almana. If she has extra zechusim it keeps him alive for her. If she doesn't but still doesn't deserve to be an almana, she gets the opportunity to earn the zechusim. If she fails, he dies. (I wasn't sure if he meant this is because the failure of the nisayon makes her now deserve it or if it's just that she doesn't have the zechusim.) He referenced the Ohr Hachaim on Devarim 1:39 for an example of this phenomenon - Moshe didn't deserve to not go into EY but failed the nisayon that would have enabled him to do so, ayen shom.
Sorry I don't have any mekoros for you to look up. Just putting this out there for anyone interested.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: November 23, 2023, 08:58:50 AM »
R' 'Akiva Tatz "Does My Free Will Affect You?"

Fantastic presentation and compelling proof that בחירה can greatly effect other’s destinies.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 10:03:24 AM by imayid2 »

Offline yungermanchik

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline sam2015

• View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: November 23, 2023, 10:15:01 AM »
Is this a joke? You are refering to Rav Yaakov Hillel Shlita as "someone who decided to write an essay"?

Chas V’Shalom, I was not referring to R’ Yaakov Hillel, I actually had someone else in mind. I was confused how you brought R’ Hillel into this, so I looked upthread to see where you quoted him. I appreciate that link, it actually cleared up a certain point that was bothering me. But anyways, I think it would be wise for most of us to follow his advice at the end where he writes:
‏ובוודאי שמן הראוי ‏לקטני הדעת ‏למשוך ידיהם ‏מלעסוק בעניינים עמוקים אלה שאין להם ידיעה בזה, ורק מגמגמים ומעקמים דברי הראשונים, ומטילים פגם ודופי בקדשי קדשים 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 10:27:39 AM by sam2015 »

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: November 23, 2023, 10:18:04 AM »
Chas V’Shalom, I was not referring to R’ Yaakov Hillel, I actually had someone else in mind. I was confused how you brought R’ Hillel into this, so I looked upthread to see where you quoted him. I appreciate that link, it actually cleared up a certain point that was bothering me. But anyways, I think it would be wise for most of us to follow his advice at the end where he writes:
I’m happy that what was bothering you is cleared up :)

I’d recommend you listen to Rabbi Tatz as well.

But anyways, I think it would be wise for most of us to follow his advice at the end where he writes:
‏ובוודאי שמן הראוי ‏לקטני הדעת ‏למשוך ידיהם ‏מלעסוק בעניינים עמוקים אלה שאין להם ידיעה בזה, ורק מגמגמים ומעקמים דברי הראשונים, ומטילים פגם ודופי בקדשי קדשים 
Speak for yourself ;)

Offline sam2015

• View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: November 23, 2023, 10:19:30 AM »
I’d recommend you listen to Rabbi Tatz as well.

I did a long time ago when I was involved in this inyan and was very unhappy with it.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: November 23, 2023, 10:20:43 AM »
I did a long time ago when I was involved in this inyan and was very unhappy with it.
Why?

Offline sam2015

• View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: November 23, 2023, 10:25:51 AM »
Why?

Not for discussion here. He’s a brilliant Talmid Chochom, but I was not able to get yishuv hadaas in the inyan from his talks and continued onto others.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: November 23, 2023, 10:29:00 AM »
Not for discussion here. He’s a brilliant Talmid Chochom, but I was not able to get yishuv hadaas in the inyan from his talks and continued onto others.
Ok then. I found it excellent and did not continue on to others :)
To each his own.

Online Definitions2

• View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: November 23, 2023, 10:30:37 AM »
R' 'Akiva Tatz "Does My Free Will Affect You?"

Fantastic presentation and compelling proof that בחירה can greatly effect other’s destinies.
I'm assuming you're specifically referring to ~30:39 where he says the chovos halevovos and r saadia is talking about in a case where there already is a gezeira.
There's always a gezeira on a person from rosh Hashanah.

He's effectively saying that there is no such opinion that says a baal bechira can't affect another person. (And if there was such an opinion he wouldn't know how to answer the dilemma.)

Online Definitions2

• View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: November 23, 2023, 10:45:17 AM »
I read this a few times and to be honest I'm still not sure if I understand this fully.
Cmiiw. You're saying in this case the 2 possible reasons why the people got killed was either because they were on extra credit time that was taken away due to the person who released the terrorist.
Or Hashem gave the victim the zchus to die al Kiddush Hashem due to the person who released the terrorist.
@jye I was thinking about what I wrote and realized you possibly can misinterpret my intent. I genuinely didn't understand. I'm not trying to be like a person that derogatorily says you know God's plan.

It's late now and I have to go. I'll try to look at it later tonight again