Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 410982 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Moving for Law School?
« Reply #880 on: October 06, 2015, 02:36:49 PM »
Those hours may be typical of an M&A attorney in big law, but they aren't for a litigator, or tax, or real estate, etc.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: October 06, 2015, 09:07:45 PM »
Those hours may be typical of an M&A attorney in big law, but they aren't for a litigator, or tax, or real estate, etc.

They're typical for tax, in my office.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: October 06, 2015, 10:00:16 PM »
More or less?

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: October 06, 2015, 10:06:04 PM »
I've heard of the bimodal salary for lawyers where some are making $160,000 and others $40,000. Government work seems like it may be the middle ground, with good hours and benefits, job security, and a salary that is livable. Trying to get a grasp on the salary ceiling for government jobs... is something like $90,000 a reasonable expectation?
90,000 sounds correct. But its value is more then 90,000.
just as hard as Biglaw, if not harder, to get into many of the desirable government positions.
I'm aware of a government job that caps at 90,000 and is very easy to get. Starts below 30k though
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: October 06, 2015, 10:18:06 PM »
Cashier at Walmart?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Super Speed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #885 on: October 06, 2015, 10:21:14 PM »

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #886 on: October 06, 2015, 11:23:26 PM »
More or less?
Less, though average out to about the same. They just don't do those crazy marathons like M&A.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline shiframeir

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #887 on: October 23, 2015, 12:36:15 PM »

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #888 on: October 23, 2015, 01:01:08 PM »
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #889 on: October 23, 2015, 01:20:20 PM »
Lasted longer than most, at a firm more prestigious than most.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #890 on: October 23, 2015, 01:41:14 PM »
Lasted longer than most, at a firm more prestigious than most.
So you are agreeing with me in the most lawyerly way you can? :P
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #891 on: October 23, 2015, 01:46:35 PM »
So you are agreeing with me in the most lawyerly way you can? :P
yup, but then again, Cravath in the late 80s was a different place...

Offline prelaw

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: November 02, 2015, 07:31:52 PM »
For desireable government jobs, how important is law school prestige in hiring decisions? How much of a boost would Columbia or NYU give over say a Fordham applicant? Also, about how much more would government benefits be valued at compared to benefits at private employers? If I'm making 80k at government, would that be the rough equivalent value wise as around 110k at a private firm
after taking added benefits into aalccount?

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: November 02, 2015, 07:38:51 PM »
For desireable government jobs, how important is law school prestige in hiring decisions? How much of a boost would Columbia or NYU give over say a Fordham applicant? Also, about how much more would government benefits be valued at compared to benefits at private employers? If I'm making 80k at government, would that be the rough equivalent value wise as around 110k at a private firm
after taking added benefits into aalccount?
Where are you making 80k in government??? Starting titles in most government law dept jobs are in the mid 40s at best and you dont get raises until you get to the next civil service title. Most govt lawyers never see 80k.

You cant pay tuition or for kosher food with your government benefits. Take the cash and work a little harder instead of staying in a dead end government job. You may end up like my neighbor who was an NYC traffic engineer and retired at age 55 content with his measly pension and content to leave million dollar skills unused. What a waste. 
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #894 on: November 02, 2015, 07:48:41 PM »
Where are you making 80k in government??? Starting titles in most government law dept jobs are in the mid 40s at best and you dont get raises until you get to the next civil service title. Most govt lawyers never see 80k.

You cant pay tuition or for kosher food with your government benefits. Take the cash and work a little harder instead of staying in a dead end government job. You may end up like my neighbor who was an NYC traffic engineer and retired at age 55 content with his measly pension and content to leave million dollar skills unused. What a waste.

Around here you're starting at 60s-mid 70s, and in the 90s within 3 years... not sure where you're getting your info.

Offline prelaw

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: November 02, 2015, 08:40:29 PM »

You can pay for tuition and kosher food with the savings on health insurance premiums you have due to your government benefits. Would your neighbor have lived a happier and more fulfilling life had he earned another million dollars?

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #896 on: November 02, 2015, 08:43:06 PM »
Around here you're starting at 60s-mid 70s, and in the 90s within 3 years... not sure where you're getting your info.
Around here its 40s. ADAs and AUSAs make that much to start. Other agencies similar.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #897 on: November 02, 2015, 08:46:07 PM »
Around here its 40s. ADAs and AUSAs make that much to start. Other agencies similar.

Interesting.  The only agencies making that little are some of the PDs around here.  ASAs (our version of ADAs) make 60s and up, depending on the county; Social Security makes high 50s or 60s, I don't recall; and CMS makes 60s to 70s, starting. 

AUSAs do much better but you're not beginning a career there.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #898 on: November 02, 2015, 08:49:58 PM »
You can pay for tuition and kosher food with the savings on health insurance premiums you have due to your government benefits. Would your neighbor have lived a happier and more fulfilling life had he earned another million dollars?
Lets start with the premise that if youre making 110k your also getting benefits comparable to any govt job. So what savings are you talking about?
As for my neighbor, if you consider a more fulfilled life as one where you take your old lady carriage and go to the supermarket every other day for your small bottle of milk, wake up for the second minyan, do daf yomi in the evening instead of before shachris and spend the rest of your pathetic existence in your high 50s and 60s waiting for the Malach Hamaves then maybe a your million dollar skills are not wasted. Its not the money its the waste of skills and useful resources. There is a mentality amongst government employees...and certain elements of our community to get away with an easy life. Dont work too hard c'v. There is a price to pay for taking a govt job, thats all I'm saying.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #899 on: November 02, 2015, 08:56:54 PM »
Pathetic existence? Bitter much?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.