Topic Wiki

Initiative to lower the standards:   https://simchainitiative.org/

Mishpacha Article link:                     https://mishpacha.com/at-all-costs/
                                                     https://mishpacha.com/at-all-costs-the-conversation-continues-2/

Jewish Pr. Interview W/R Reisman   https://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/interviews-and-profiles/over-1300-sign-pledge-to-hold-simpler-weddings-an-interview-with-rav-yisroel-reisman-rosh-yeshiva-of-torah-vodaath/2020/05/13/

Some interesting articles covering the guidelines from similar efforts 20 years ago

https://agudah.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/JO2002-V35-N06.pdf  page 10 article by Prof. Aaron Twerski
https://agudah.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/JO2006-V39-N041.pdf page 43 article by R Aryeh Zev Ginzberg
https://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/25/us/religion-journal-a-big-wedding-with-a-smaller-bill.html
« Last edited by David61 on May 28, 2020, 06:29:23 PM »

Poll

Wedding expenses in the frum community

Thank G-d for simchas
12 (5.8%)
This has gotten out of hand and a remedy is needed
156 (75.4%)
It's a problem but has always been this way and we'll manage as we have till now
39 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 207

Author Topic: POLL: Wedding expenses in the frum Community - BH for simchos? or out of hand?  (Read 129793 times)

Offline yfr bachur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
so what did he want them to tone down?

Being a happy kid who is happy with what he has and not pressured about money?

Offline rbs-g1.5

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Being a happy kid who is happy with what he has and not pressured about money?
definately  not. Either the rebbe is an idiot and just wanted to mussar the "rich Americans/ballebatim  " or your SIL is clueless about whats considered extravavagent in that community. In my kids school you're not allowed to bring fancy nosh such as cornflakes bec. it can make others jealous. (That may be an old outdated rule but  you get the idea)

Offline yfr bachur

• View Profile
definately  not. Either the rebbe is an idiot and just wanted to mussar the "rich Americans/ballebatim  " or your SIL is clueless about whats considered extravavagent in that community. In my kids school you're not allowed to bring fancy nosh such as cornflakes bec. it can make others jealous. (That may be an old outdated rule but  you get the idea)

Not oblivious. Both parents grew up here, her kids looks, acts, eats, and has possessions like every other kid in the neighborhood. Its not a Chutznik neighborhood where there's problems between the has chutznikim and the has not israelis

Offline rbs-g1.5

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Not oblivious. Both parents grew up here, her kids looks, acts, eats, and has possessions like every other kid in the neighborhood. Its not a Chutznik neighborhood where there's problems between the has chutznikim and the has not israelis
so option number 1

Offline yfr bachur

• View Profile
so option number 1

Not americans/chutznekim... not baalie batim...
Rebbe being an idiot? possible.

Offline WonderingYid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
But what do you do when all the Shadchanim and Rabbanim and so on tell you suck it up "lmaan Hashalom" and no one is willing to go to the other side and or their rabbanim and make it clear that the demands are unreasonable.

Some people need to grow a pair...

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Online mevinyavin

• View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
With RBs's blessing and the blessing of one of the Baalei Simcha, I experimented in the shul with a cheaper kiddush.
(For the record, a shul kiddush today costs about 1800 shekel in our shul: plain plasticware, soda, juice (15 bottles) and water (6 bottles), 12 kilo of rugelach, four potato kugels, cheap nosh - ie off-brand bisli and bamba and popcorn - and 12 containers of herring with crackers. Some people drop the kugel and it costs 800 or so less.)
We served just cookies (the mass produced kind) arranged on nice plates in patterns (I spent an hour doing it), the above drinks and nosh but extra nosh. The total cost squeaked in under 500 shekel and there was enough quantity for everyone.
Two thirds of the shul didn't notice the difference. Most of the rest simply registered that it was lower key. A significant minority (I would say 10%), by the comments they were making, went home hungry.
The idea had been to start a trend. It just so happens that my own kiddushim in the shul had the full amount (though the last one was more than five years ago and the cost for the same quantity was 600 shekel less then), but I wanted to push this type of kiddush to save people money. I know you are laughing, but it is Sanhedria Murchevet, and we often don't have 1800 shekel for a kiddush. I would have been prepared to make the same type of kiddush to emphasize the idea. (I think I still would, tbh, but after the comments, I would discuss with the Rav again before doing it.)
No one has done it since, not even with my open-ended offer to every baal simcha that I would do all the legwork for them if they would make such a kiddush. (That was the bribe I used on that baal simcha.) Agav it would be closer to 650 today, and this was about a year ago.
For the record, someone did another one of these (on the birth of a daughter) that still ran under 500 shekel (he got less quantity, it was a quiet week). I got even less negative feedback than the first time. 
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline lover of truth

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ly matmid, fish grill platinum
For the record, someone did another one of these (on the birth of a daughter) that still ran under 500 shekel (he got less quantity, it was a quiet week). I got even less negative feedback than the first time.
not saying one should go into debt if he really doesn't have, but it  makes me uncomfortable when i go to a bris or other seudas mitzva and it looks like baal simcha went as low as possible
shouldn't a seudas mitzva be at least AS respectable as the schnitzel and fries YOU eat for dinner?
why is it okay to serve airline meals???(not hermollis)

Offline HudZ

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Torah
not saying one should go into debt if he really doesn't have, but it  makes me uncomfortable when i go to a bris or other seudas mitzva and it looks like baal simcha went as low as possible
shouldn't a seudas mitzva be at least AS respectable as the schnitzel and fries YOU eat for dinner?
How many Simchos have you actually been to, that served what you call airline meals.

Also, how bad can a Bris be? Bagels, fish, a few spreads... How low can one go, that it still won't live up to your standards?
אין עוד מלבדו

Offline Moshe Green

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
How many Simchos have you actually been to, that served what you call airline meals.

Also, how bad can a Bris be? Bagels, fish, a few spreads... How low can one go, that it still won't live up to your standards?
In Israel the simchos are usually like an airline meal :)

but to answer @lover of truth;
Think of it this way.
You have a child, Mazal Tov. But B"H, its not your first and hopefully wont be your last. The average frum family can easily have between 6-8 kids. Lets go with 7.
7 x Shalom Zachor/Bris or Kiddush
3.5 x Upsherin (Chalaka)
7 x Bar Mitzvas/Bas Mitzvas (yes a bas mitzva is much cheaper, but some make them bigger)
7 x Chasunas

A cheap Shalom Zachor will be 200-400 dollars while you can easily go all out with beer, whisky, nuts, fruit platters etc. and get it to $1000.
Bris, the same. You can buy bagels with cream cheese and set it up yourself with a coffee corner for $200-$300 or get a fleishig caterer for $2000.
Kiddush, $500 or $2000? Does everyone need to eat a fleishig cholent an hour before they go home and eat... a fleishig cholent?
Bar Mitzva/Bat Mitzva. OY. Do you do a small event with a bar and self serve and a $50 bottle of Johnny Walker or fully catered. That's a difference of $5-10,000 easily.
And then the Chasuna. עיין this whole thread.

Once you realize that its 6-8 kids, then that $300 here or there is not $300 but $2,000.
The $1,500 is not $1,500 but $10,000.
$5,000 is $35,000.
And the $10-20,000 difference in a chasuna ends up at $150,000!

Altogether it can amass to $250,000-$300,000 easily.

Online mevinyavin

• View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
It is my assessment that such a kiddush IS respectable in Sanhedria Murchevet. And just to be sure, I asked the Rav also (before the first time), and I had the baal simcha approach the Rav again the second time.
I had it set up nicely, in various patterns on fancy plates, not in the box they came in dumped on the table.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline dovy2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
to take this thread a bit to a diff angle:

After speaking to multiple musicians, photographers, and caterers, after inquiring about their expenses vs what they charge, I discovered that a substantial part of their expenses is the equipment/food movement. They are not interested in doing the schlepping/technical parts of the job, so they hire others, which greatly impacts the price they charge.
Another aspect of their pricing is that, being freelancers, they don't have work all the time. Therefore, they need to raise their prices to offset the days they don't have work.

That being said,
לו יצוייר

Each community (CH, BP, Willy, Monsey Lkwd etc. which have weddings almost daily) was to have a designated hall, with a designated on-site caterer, with designated sound and lighting systems, with designated photographers, in which everyone's equipment stays set up, the price of weddings would be MUCH cheaper.

Of course, people want a choice, and competition is good etc. but I believe if the above-mentioned idea was implemented with top-of-line choices, costs would come crashing down.

Yes, to pull something like this off, one would need to be chessed-oriented, and not money-seeking-oriented, but I truly believe that pulling off such a thing is possible.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
to take this thread a bit to a diff angle:

After speaking to multiple musicians, photographers, and caterers, after inquiring about their expenses vs what they charge, I discovered that a substantial part of their expenses is the equipment/food movement. They are not interested in doing the schlepping/technical parts of the job, so they hire others, which greatly impacts the price they charge.
Another aspect of their pricing is that, being freelancers, they don't have work all the time. Therefore, they need to raise their prices to offset the days they don't have work.

That being said,
לו יצוייר

Each community (CH, BP, Willy, Monsey Lkwd etc. which have weddings almost daily) was to have a designated hall, with a designated on-site caterer, with designated sound and lighting systems, with designated photographers, in which everyone's equipment stays set up, the price of weddings would be MUCH cheaper.

Of course, people want a choice, and competition is good etc. but I believe if the above-mentioned idea was implemented with top-of-line choices, costs would come crashing down.

Yes, to pull something like this off, one would need to be chessed-oriented, and not money-seeking-oriented, but I truly believe that pulling off such a thing is possible.

You just described the Lakewood wedding packages.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline dovy2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
You just described the Lakewood wedding packages.
Thye have this exact thing? oops.. I should have asked :)
Does it work, and why isn't it copied in other areas?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Just did it for @Mendy11 with a package in Monsey. Astounding how nice and inexpensive the wedding was.
Shame you can't pull that off in CH though.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com

Exact? no but the basic idea is the same.
Feelings don't care about your facts