Topic Wiki

Please, when posting a link to a laptop listing, make sure to include the price at time of posting. It helps.
Requesting help with a purchase? Please post here: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=135662.msg2794782#msg2794782

Dell:
Precision - Very powerful desktop replacements - great warranty, ridiculously expensive - Usually overpriced or overkill

Latitude - Good Laptops - Great warranty! Highly recommended for any Business environment - Sometimes expensive.

Vostro  - Lower end Business Machines - Better Priced - still durable - Usually 1 Year warranty.

XPS - The nicer looking dell machines, Some are better than others...

Inspiron - YMMV Every model is different

(Plain) Insprion Series - Dells lowest end laptop
(R) Insprion Series - Perfect Home use, dependable, decent build quality, recommended
(Z) Insprion Series - A little slimmer than the R series, Some are Ultrabooks (Very often don't include Optical Drives)

HP:

Spectre - Top of the line personal (dragonfly is the top of the line for business) - lightest laptops, and beautiful!

Pavilion - YMMV (Some better than others)

Probook - Stable durable business systems - Usually a little on the heavy side.

Elitebook - Business Higher end systems, usually pretty expensive

ENVY - Used to be the HP sleek and nicer systems, they pretty much replaced most of the standard pavilions now and call them either ENVY or sleekbooks

Sleekbook - like it sounds slimmer line of laptops

Lenovo:

Thinkpad Series - Very Dependable Business Machine, Expensive (Not Pretty but Durable)

IdeaPad Series -

S Series
U Series - Usually the slimmer line Ultrabooks, Doesn't always include DVD Drive
Y Series - Nice machines with good specs and features (Cool Backlit Keyboards)
Z Series - Step up from the G Series, all around decent build, priced nicely, great home use laptop
G Series - Lower end

Samsung:

Series 3
Series 5
Series 7
Series 9 - The nicest, sleekest looking laptops I've seen in a long time - Can pass for a Macbook!!

HT: Dh Data Recovery & Name Changed

A great post by caliheat:
I believe that there are many factors when deciding what laptop to purchase.
1) What is your intended use and necessary features. e.g. light use vs. heavy use & optical drive, computer speed etc.
2) As mentioned several times in this thread, RAM itself is very easy to upgrade after you purchase.
3) Brand - IMHO this is pretty important as well - which do your prefer vs. which brand do people recommend.
4) Price - you should decide a price range that best suits your needs.
5) Operating System - Many people like myself prefer Windows 7 vs. 8.1, so this would be another consideration.
6) Warranty - does it include 1 year or more, cost for extending warranty.
7) Detailed Specs:
  Processor  - model and speed i3, i5, & i7 2.0 Ghz, 3.0 Ghz etc.
  RAM - This IMHO should be minimum 8GB, especially if running 8.1, however can be added easily.
  Hard Drive - SATA vs. SSD, the latter being much faster. SATA itself offers 5400 RPM vs. 7200 RPM again, the latter being faster.
  Screen Size - this is a personal preference as you can always attach a larger screen in an office setting.
  Battery & Weight - overall laptop weight preference & battery life.
  Graphics - Integrated graphics vs. dedicated graphics, e.g. Intel 4400 vs. Nvidia GTX etc.

In summary, you have to decide what are you priorities, what can be upgraded and what you are flexible on.

Excellent article about the differences between the Intel processor suffixes.

Excellent "Laptop Buying Guide" by @dailykasha, written for Black Friday 2021, updated for holidays 2023

Author Topic: Laptop Deals Master Thread  (Read 3387544 times)

Offline MoYS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop Deals Master Thread
« Reply #14100 on: October 26, 2023, 08:49:38 PM »
I bought the Dell Inspiron Ryzen 5 with 8gb ram, and am noticing a real lag both in browser loading and other apps compared to my other laptop (hp spectre x360) which has comparable ram and proccesor (intel i5). Which factors might cause this?
I know this is no longer a deal post but it's connected as I can still return and buy another computer.

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #14101 on: October 27, 2023, 01:51:13 AM »
I bought the Dell Inspiron Ryzen 5 with 8gb ram, and am noticing a real lag both in browser loading and other apps compared to my other laptop (hp spectre x360) which has comparable ram and proccesor (intel i5). Which factors might cause this?
I know this is no longer a deal post but it's connected as I can still return and buy another computer.
Are you sure the specs are comparable? OS is the same? Which i5 does it have? I'm only asking because the Spectre is a $1000+ laptop, so one would assume other factors in play.

A few thoughts:
-More bloatware (try uninstalling unused software)
-Computer may be downloading updates, though this should only cause a lag with the browser, not other apps
-A 35W i5 will be faster than a 15W Ryzen in most cases. The Spectre has no dedicated graphics?  The Spectre's SSD may be head-and-shoulders faster. These are speculation, though.

You can try asking a tech at Best Buy if this is the way the hardware SHOULD run or if something might be wrong.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline WonderingYid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14103 on: October 27, 2023, 01:50:27 PM »

Ryzen 5 and Intel i5 of which year? and which one speciifcally?

But tachlis, not surprised at all. Spectre is a high-end line, Inspiron runs budget to mid. There's a lot of parts in a computer and a lot of parts which make it run well, and a lot of things that justify a $1200 price tag (and a lot of things which make no difference).

Offline MoYS

• View Profile
« Reply #14104 on: October 27, 2023, 03:09:55 PM »
@mevinyavin and @Chuchum Ainer
Thanks
I guess I was just wondering if there was any one specific thing that might cause it. Its a Ryzen 5 7000 series and intel i5 8th gen, the ryzen is running windows 11, maybe that's why. Either way it seems like its just a general difference between all the components, nothing that I could remedy easily by getting something else in this range.

Thanks for all the info

Offline yeshivabucher

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #14105 on: October 27, 2023, 03:17:13 PM »
I was asked for a recommendation for a graphics designer need high amount of ram and great processing. Anyone got suggestions?

Offline sysg1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14106 on: October 27, 2023, 03:21:42 PM »
All depends on the programs they run. I usually recommend a i7 with 32gb, 1tb m.2 + a graphics card. You can go lower, but it all depends on the programs and budget.

Offline AYHG

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14107 on: October 27, 2023, 04:06:05 PM »
@mevinyavin and @Chuchum Ainer
Thanks
I guess I was just wondering if there was any one specific thing that might cause it. Its a Ryzen 5 7000 series and intel i5 8th gen, the ryzen is running windows 11, maybe that's why. Either way it seems like its just a general difference between all the components, nothing that I could remedy easily by getting something else in this range.

Thanks for all the info

I would suggest you get something similar to compare. I had a similar experience a few years ago with 2 different brand new entry-level laptops with identical specs. One was lagging terribly and the other was lightening fast.

There shouldn't be any lag with those specs when loading the browser or basic standard apps.

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14108 on: October 27, 2023, 05:33:17 PM »
I was asked for a recommendation for a graphics designer need high amount of ram and great processing. Anyone got suggestions?
Don't forget a good screen....

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #14110 on: October 29, 2023, 04:35:11 AM »
What program/s (as sysg1 asked)? Can't answer accurately without this unless you don't mind spending tons of money.
While you are at it, answer these:
Does battery life matter at all?
The portability matter?
Is there a specific screen size minimum / maximum?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 04:40:24 AM by mevinyavin »
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14111 on: October 29, 2023, 04:36:55 AM »
There shouldn't be any lag with those specs when loading the browser or basic standard apps.
@MoYS This would be an accurate summary of my post above. Those specs should run fine and you should NOT see a difference between that and the Spectre unless the caveats I listed above apply.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14112 on: October 29, 2023, 04:38:30 AM »

Offline MoYS

• View Profile
« Reply #14113 on: October 29, 2023, 02:23:07 PM »

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14114 on: October 30, 2023, 07:28:36 AM »
Just a word of caution about that, I have a similar one and the hinges are slowly coming apart, also the speakers no longer work correctly and I think it has to do with the hinges. It does get lots of use and moving around etc. and this is after 4ish years of use.
Word of caution should apply to every 2-in-1. On the other hand, unless your Spectre is from the same generation, it has nothing to do with this one.

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #14115 on: October 30, 2023, 09:08:16 AM »
Good price for a Spectre 2-in-1, if you are interested in a Spectre 2-in-1. The main advantages of this computer are weight (for a 2-in-1), build quality (so they say) and battery life. It is not particularly exciting if you don't need a 2-in-1.
thank you

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14116 on: November 01, 2023, 12:22:14 PM »
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834156346?item=N82E16834156346&Tpk=N82E16834156346
$800 - MSI Delta 15, Ryzen 7 5800H, 16gB RAM (upgrdbl), TB SSD, Radeon RX6700M (10GB). Oldish but powerful graphics and serviceable processor, screen okay colors and merely 1080p but blazing fast, so more for gaming than graphics pros (yesh lodun - read the review). Review says 10 hours of battery life.
Review on this exact model:
https://uk.pcmag.com/laptops/136266/msi-delta-15

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #14117 on: November 03, 2023, 10:43:03 AM »
A family member ordered a laptop from Costco and the HP sticker on it has a typo

Is there a chance the laptop is a knock off? Or someone just made a mistake on the sticker?
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 25K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #14118 on: November 03, 2023, 11:05:56 AM »
A family member ordered a laptop from Costco and the HP sticker on it has a typo

Is there a chance the laptop is a knock off? Or someone just made a mistake on the sticker?

I doubt Costco is selling knockoffs, looks like a typo/oversight:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Hewlett_Packard/comments/17aw5cb/hp_laptop_from_costco_has_typo_on_label/
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14119 on: November 05, 2023, 04:54:51 AM »
from Costco and the HP sticker on it has a typo
The Costco effect.