Author Topic: Trisomy 21  (Read 1534 times)

Offline simster

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Trisomy 21
« on: May 19, 2024, 06:21:12 PM »
A friend of mine just had a baby diagnosed with Trisomy 21 (Down Syndrome). They are very distraught and lost- anyone know of where they can get some help and guidance?

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: Trisomy 21
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2024, 06:29:56 PM »
There are numerous support groups. Check online for one near you.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half
Dow Jones Industrial Average Tops 40000 for the First Time

Offline BarryLincoln

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, National Executive, Hertz Five Star
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2024, 06:45:27 PM »

Offline simster

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2024, 07:46:52 PM »
I guess being more specific would be helpful. This is a frum couple in NYC area.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2024, 07:57:15 PM »
https://www.imamother.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=555893
Hamaspik has lots of stuff
Nishmoseini hotline and online coffee room in Yiddish or English
718-759-1111
Pillars support for information and guidance
+1 (347) 693-8080
Stardust in person support groups
Great people to help her apply for all types of services, grants, ssi, Medicaid, food stamps or anything she may be eligible for
7183878400 and they will connect her to the right extension
(I’m sure this is more there if you search around)

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2024, 07:57:24 PM »
There is an organization that advertises in Mishpacha that they send some sort of care/info package to parents who just had a baby with downs syndrome. I imagine that may include other resources.

I don't have a Mishpacha on hand, but IIRC they usually have a quarter-page ad near the back of the magazine.

Perhaps someone here can find it and post a pic?

Offline madhocker

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2024, 08:41:09 PM »
FWIU In some circles, depending on the circumstances (other young children at home etc.) they are encouraged to consider giving the child to foster care. There are frum families who are willing to foster such children.
This is obviously an extremely emotional decision and should be discussed on a personal level with a Rov who knows them well.

OTOH I happen to know a family who had a child with DS around a year ago. The father claims that the amount of joy that this child brought into the house has been unmatched by any of his other children. When HKB"H gives a challenge, he gives the strength and joy to withstand it.

I hope this has been helpful. If you would like me to connect them with this family, send me a pm and I will try to arrange.

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2024, 09:18:41 PM »
There are letters from the Rebbe to a certain professor regarding the way to deal with children with down syndrome (or other mental development issues). I'll try to find.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2024, 09:20:53 PM »
FWIU In some circles, depending on the circumstances (other young children at home etc.) they are encouraged to consider giving the child to foster care. There are frum families who are willing to foster such children.
This is obviously an extremely emotional decision and should be discussed on a personal level with a Rov who knows them well.

OTOH I happen to know a family who had a child with DS around a year ago. The father claims that the amount of joy that this child brought into the house has been unmatched by any of his other children. When HKB"H gives a challenge, he gives the strength and joy to withstand it.

I hope this has been helpful. If you would like me to connect them with this family, send me a pm and I will try to arrange.

It should also be noted that not all cases are the same. Some could be quite high functioning, while others might be a lot more challenging.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline simster

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2024, 11:04:32 PM »
It should also be noted that not all cases are the same. Some could be quite high functioning, while others might be a lot more challenging.
Yes, but I don't think you know that when the child is still an infant....

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2024, 01:16:25 AM »
@simster Please keep us posted to the extent that you can/is comfortable for the family. I don’t have helpful information in this case, but they’ll be on our minds if anything is needed further.
(My mom runs a baby equipment gemach if that’s needed)
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline ShmuliT

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2024, 06:06:51 PM »

Bh I am blessed to have a 4yo down syndrome daughter and I can totally relate to and totally agree to this. They do 100% come with their own set of challenges and do require more attention and help than a typical child, but the pure joy and nachas they bring is unmatched to any of my other children.

This is not necessarily something I would push down the throat of a parent going through the initial shock of just receiving the diagnosis, nor to I expect a parent of only typical children to fully relate to this.

Hamaspic has been an amazing organization. Also networking with other parents is reccomend.

I'm happy to share any information, whether publicly or privately about my "journey". Pls feel free to DM me for my contact details.

Offline ShmuliT

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2024, 06:12:47 PM »
There are letters from the Rebbe to a certain professor regarding the way to deal with children with down syndrome (or other mental development issues). I'll try to find.
Yes 100%

Hashkofos when it comes to  special needs child has a huge spectrum spanning 180 degrees. While some communities try hiding it, the Rebbe embraced it!

Will try post more later.

Offline ShmuliT

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2024, 05:26:46 PM »
To add to the above:

A lot has to do with perspective.

There are those communities/organizations that try comfort you from the "nebech situation" you find yourself in by saying because you are experiencing hell/hardships down here, you are definitely getting a good Olam Haboh.

Then there are those communities/organizations that focus on the positive and show you how holy and special these children are, and what a zechus and brocho it is to have them as part of your family.

So hashkafa wise, are you looking at this child as a punishment or a gift.

The world today is well more equipped to deal with special needs children than it was 30 years ago. Not so long ago, a “retarded” child was viewed as someone with a contagious disease, and left alone in a room most of the day. With the inclusiveness and services available now days, these children are given the opportunity to thrive, each to their own capabilities.

Although the world has become way more inclusive, there are still today some frum insular communities that you are simply not allowed to have a special needs child. It’s a big mitzva to adopt someone else’s special needs child, but unacceptable to keep your own.

As mentioned above, the joy a special needs child can bring, is unparalleled to the joy of your typical children. At first, I'm sure this statement seems strange and almost like a dishonest consolation. When trying to comprehend this concept for a deeper understanding as to why this is the case, I have thought about it a little and have learnt from my daughter the following. Life is full of expectations. When our typical children don't fit into the mold or preform in the way we want them to, they are not living up to the expectations box we have predetermined for them, and we therefore feel let down or upset by them.

A child with special needs was born “out of the box” and doesn’t come with any predefined expectations that we chose for them. And as a result of this, anything and everything they do, can bring us joy.
(We can learn a lot from this approach on how to view our typical children who are letting us down!)

While they say that down syndrome is the Rolls Royce of disabilities, each diagnosis is different, there are lifelong uncertainties and each family demographic and community hashkofo is different. The spectrum ranges from very high functioning to very low functioning and often comes with other medical complications. You can never know how each parent is dealing with such a diagnosis and must respect each person for their choices.

Back to the OP. Its very normal and expected for the parents to be “distraught and lost” with an unexpected diagnosis that hit them in the face, and you need to be very respectful and sensitive. They defiantly should network with other parents of special needs children and also reach out to Hamaspic or similar to help navigate the medical side and also offer other assistance and support.

For those interested in some more details about my daughter, here is a FB link to a post I made on her 2nd birthday, 2 years ago.

For anyone with any questions, I’m more than happy to answer to the best of my ability. No need to be shy or scared. And if you prefer, you can DM me.

Offline simster

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2024, 05:44:00 PM »
Wow, well said @ShmuliT.

Actually, I don't think they were ever considering giving up the baby. It was mentioned by someone else on this thread.

I have decided to let them grieve/ruminate and come to themselves. They are strong and will end up in a good place. I don't think hoisting messages of chizuk to someone who is still fresh to this will accomplish anything. אין מרצין לאדם בשעת כעסו. But I am collecting info and contacts to help them once they settle down.

Online WayBackMachine

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2024, 12:16:27 AM »
have them reach out to https://ezreinuservices.org/ for guidance and advice

Online HudZ

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Torah
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2024, 05:57:45 PM »
There is an organization that advertises in Mishpacha that they send some sort of care/info package to parents who just had a baby with downs syndrome. I imagine that may include other resources.

I don't have a Mishpacha on hand, but IIRC they usually have a quarter-page ad near the back of the magazine.

Perhaps someone here can find it and post a pic?

From Mishpacha, credit goes to Yehudaa.
אין עוד מלבדו

Offline madhocker

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2024, 10:52:55 PM »
After speaking with my friend who has a DS son, I wanted to add another thought with  regards to to the way a special needs child affects the rest of the family (don't know if family OP posted about has other children or not, but this may be helpful for others as well).

It seems that despite the many challenges this child brings, in the long run the siblings grow immensely from the challenge. They learn how to love unconditionally, and how to be accepting of people different from themselves. If the parents can help them keep a positive attitude, they will grow up with much strength and resilience to many of life's challenges.

Imagine a class of boys who have a disabled classmate, and have to learn how to wheel his wheelchair out to the park or even help him to the bathroom. Pain in the neck? Sure! Learned a level of caring and tolerance towards a fellow jew? Absolutely.

Again, as @ShmuliT said so eloquently above, this doesn't mean that the child won't bring difficult times to his family. But sometimes framing the future as one that has great potential, can help the parents and family put this in a more positive light.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2024, 11:06:12 PM »
I have decided to let them grieve/ruminate and come to themselves. They are strong and will end up in a good place. I don't think hoisting messages of chizuk to someone who is still fresh to this will accomplish anything. אין מרצין לאדם בשעת כעסו. But I am collecting info and contacts to help them once they settle down.

It’s important you reach out and let them know you’re available to listen if they need support, that you’re davening for them, and that you’ve collected resources if they’re interested (even if they don’t want to talk).
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline ShmuliT

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2024, 11:11:47 PM »
After speaking with my friend who has a DS son, I wanted to add another thought with  regards to to the way a special needs child affects the rest of the family (don't know if family OP posted about has other children or not, but this may be helpful for others as well).

It seems that despite the many challenges this child brings, in the long run the siblings grow immensely from the challenge. They learn how to love unconditionally, and how to be accepting of people different from themselves. If the parents can help them keep a positive attitude, they will grow up with much strength and resilience to many of life's challenges.

Imagine a class of boys who have a disabled classmate, and have to learn how to wheel his wheelchair out to the park or even help him to the bathroom. Pain in the neck? Sure! Learned a level of caring and tolerance towards a fellow jew? Absolutely.

Again, as @ShmuliT said so eloquently above, this doesn't mean that the child won't bring difficult times to his family. But sometimes framing the future as one that has great potential, can help the parents and family put this in a more positive light.
Totally agree. That is another big advantage that a special needs child comes with. They have the ability to impact their siblings, parents and sometimes even their community, not only by bringing joy, but by teaching tolerance.

I believe that growing up Chabad, and having a down syndrome class mate and cousin, definitely helped partially prepare me to become a parent of a child with special needs.