Topic Wiki

Cities are listed from north to south starting with Santa Cruz, ending with before San Louis Obispo. For San Jose and anywhere north, click here. For Santa Barbara and anywhere south click here.
Activities

Santa Cruz area

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk

Monterey area

Monterey Bay Aquarium

Cannery Row

Pebble Beach, CA (golfing)

17-Mile Drive Waste of time and money IMO. Views are lackluster at best- UshDadude

Pacific Grove, CA (Butterfly capital of the world)

Point Lobos State Natural Reserve

Carmel-By-The-Sea

Big Sur area

Bixby Bridge

Point Sur (Sea Otters)

San Simeon area

Hearst Castle

Cambria, CA

San Lois Obispo (SLO) area

Moro Bay State Park

Pismo Beach

Solvang, CA

Restaurants

None officially, with the following exception:

Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf in Pismo Beach, CA is considered a Southern California store. This means all the food is kosher. There are no other Coffee Bean Stores between San Jose and Santa Barbara.

Shuls

Chabad by the Sea (Santa Cruz)

Chabad of Monterey

Chabad of Carmel Valley

Chabad of SLO
« Last edited by ushdadude on July 28, 2015, 05:11:47 PM »

Author Topic: California Coast PCH Master Thread  (Read 146871 times)

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: California Coast PCH Master Thread
« Reply #160 on: March 12, 2015, 04:58:34 PM »
Thinking about going with the fam to west coast for first time in june, would stay in SF for 3 nights, stop in palo alto for bagels and then drive down the cali coast (thx to this great thread) to oxnard, and then on to san diego.

As a general question as to the whole SF/LA California area and drive down, hard to tell where its most worth it to spend more time (only got 8 days to pack it all in). seems like i need 3 for san fran area since anyway i have a free room at the Sir Francis Drake that i must use (also will go up to Muir woods with my 8, 6 and 1 year old), then a day to do the drive down. 

1) other than the piece from santa cruz to Monterey, are there other specific parts of the 1 that are worth it and we should take in, or do we really need to go on the 1 the whole way for the experience (note we will need a van with the kids, who dont like wind in their faces).

2)  Basic time spent: do i spend more time in LA/Palm Springs/San Diego/Del mar with my young kids? thinking lots of pool/beach time (i have a couple nights free at the Hilton in Del mar thats nice enough so will prob chill a bit around there) and maybe a few small kid friendly hikes. also, food is always important for our trips, is there anything memorable in san diego area or do i need to focus on food in LA?

3) Attractions: want to do seaworld and prob legoland (my son loves that stuff, though im afraid overhyped). is Disneyland for one day worth it if we did disneyworld in Jan?

Once you drive through big sur you can leave the PCH imo

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 12, 2015, 05:24:29 PM »
Once you drive through big sur you can leave the PCH imo
That may be true, but it's easier said than done. You're pretty much stuck on PCH until San Luis Obispo. Besides, many people like stopping in San Simeon to see Hearst Castle.

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 12, 2015, 05:32:19 PM »
That may be true, but it's easier said than done. You're pretty much stuck on PCH until San Luis Obispo. Besides, many people like stopping in San Simeon to see Hearst Castle.

i guess. if I did it again, i would drive through big sur and then turn around back to monteray so i can catch the 101

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 12, 2015, 05:41:33 PM »
i guess. if I did it again, i would drive through big sur and then turn around back to monteray so i can catch the 101
That seems like a waste of time, but if you're super pressed for time and want to same 20 minutes and feel like you're moving faster it could be worth it.

Offline shiframeir

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #164 on: March 12, 2015, 06:15:13 PM »
thx, that may depend also on traffic reports, and antsy kids. anyone think Hearst Castle is worth the money (25/12 kids) and a stop with a 6 and 8 year old or just boring to them? some zebras arent enough in my mind.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 12, 2015, 06:16:30 PM »
thx, that may depend also on traffic reports, and antsy kids. anyone think Hearst Castle is worth the money (25/12 kids) and a stop with a 6 and 8 year old or just boring to them? some zebras arent enough in my mind.
It kinda looks like Hogwarts, but that may be a bigger draw for you than them  ;). Also, there's not really any traffic on PCH between Monterrey and SLO.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 13, 2015, 02:05:23 PM »
You plan on doing the whole PCH in a single day with three kids?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline shiframeir

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 15, 2015, 04:50:37 AM »
You plan on doing the whole PCH in a single day with three kids?
what im a bit scared of... what do u think? only have like 8 days total, and 3 nights in SF is non-negotiable, plus was hoping to use 2 free nights i have in San Diego.
u think 3 kids one day (and somehow dinner at oxnard with them) is crazy? was gonna leave sf at 9ish, stop at izzys for bagels, stop at big sur and go back and take the 101 the rest of the way?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #168 on: March 15, 2015, 05:09:24 AM »
Question is after driving the Great Ocean Rd will it still live up to its billing?
It's a nice drive in the mainland US. Not any better than driving around Hawaii though.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 15, 2015, 09:53:14 AM »
what im a bit scared of... what do u think? only have like 8 days total, and 3 nights in SF is non-negotiable, plus was hoping to use 2 free nights i have in San Diego.
u think 3 kids one day (and somehow dinner at oxnard with them) is crazy? was gonna leave sf at 9ish, stop at izzys for bagels, stop at big sur and go back and take the 101 the rest of the way?

No way you're going to make dinner in oxnard

Offline globetrotter

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 18, 2015, 05:44:13 PM »
Planning a trip to CA in June, advice needed. Plan was fly to SF Tue, be there 1 night and leave to Yosemite in time for the next night. (we already booked a non refundable hotel right near the park for Wed night) See Yosemite on thursday and then drive down to LA for shabbos. I was kinda hoping there's a way for us to drive the PCH even if its so far back west. Any hope? A way to work around this? Thanx

Offline yls2011

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 18, 2015, 06:47:23 PM »
Planning a trip to CA in June, advice needed. Plan was fly to SF Tue, be there 1 night and leave to Yosemite in time for the next night. (we already booked a non refundable hotel right near the park for Wed night) See Yosemite on thursday and then drive down to LA for shabbos. I was kinda hoping there's a way for us to drive the PCH even if its so far back west. Any hope? A way to work around this? Thanx
No way to get around the extra time. You can get up really early and drive west towards the PCH and then head south, but you'll be essentially doubling your travel time.

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 18, 2015, 08:58:53 PM »
yosemite in 1 day makes me so sad.

Offline mochada

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 19, 2015, 01:28:53 PM »
yosemite in 1 day makes me so sad.

+1
I used to spend a week at a time in Yosemite. You cannot even get a glimpse of it's beauty in one night.

Offline globetrotter

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 20, 2015, 05:11:49 PM »
Thanx for the replies, I gather we need to choose between driving the PCH and Yosemite  :-\
Were doing one night and the following day @ yosemite, but I agree its a short time

Offline Drago

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 21, 2015, 12:49:44 AM »
Thanx for the replies, I gather we need to choose between driving the PCH and Yosemite  :-\
Were doing one night and the following day @ yosemite, but I agree its a short time
If you only have a day or 2, just do PCH.
Do Yosemite when you have more time.

Offline shiframeir

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 21, 2015, 02:09:42 AM »
Any suggestions for best places (VALUEWISE) to stay for a night with 2 kids and a baby bw san fran and LA? was thinking some of the holiday inn suites or candlewood suites around san luis obispo/pismo beach. any experiences appreciated.

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 21, 2015, 02:11:55 AM »
Any suggestions for best places (VALUEWISE) to stay for a night with 2 kids and a baby bw san fran and LA? was thinking some of the holiday inn suites or candlewood suites around san luis obispo/pismo beach. any experiences appreciated.
check out the country inns and suites. I've had some really good experiences and rates there. Also Hyatt place, with two adjoining rooms (even without, they're real big).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 02:15:25 AM by thaber »

Offline wonderlust

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 29, 2015, 04:22:44 AM »
Thinking of going from la to Yosemite from sat night till Tuesday (mid-day flight out of la). Where Usa good place to stay near the valley? Anyone know About the westin mamouth lake ? Is it worth going to? Is there what to do in that area as well ?

Offline wonderlust

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 29, 2015, 04:25:39 AM »
Where are you staying in Yosemite ?