Topic Wiki

I'm tempted to name this thread after our most serious offender.
Repent, or else...

Judah Kanowitz might not be the only one with a dedicated thread.
« Last edited by Moshe123 on June 24, 2013, 11:31:05 AM »

Author Topic: I've Had It! The Grammar/Punctuation Hall of Shame Master Thread  (Read 199628 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
“The greater part of the world's troubles are due to questions of grammar.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays

“The rule is: don’t use commas like a stupid person. I mean it.”
― Lynne Truss, Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation

“A man's grammar, like Caesar's wife, should not only be pure, but above suspicion of impurity.”
― Edgar Allan Poe

“People who cannot distinguish between good and bad language, or who regard the distinction as unimportant, are unlikely to think carefully about anything else.”
― Brian Reynolds Myers

“Ill-fitting grammar are like ill-fitting shoes. You can get used to it for a bit, but then one day your toes fall off and you can't walk to the bathroom.”
― Jasper Fforde, One of Our Thursdays Is Missing

Ladies and Gentleman,

This thread is, unfortunately, long overdue.

As such:

Fail to use appropriate capitals? You'll earn a place on this list.

Fall asleep on your keyboard so your posting style LOOKS LIKE THIS THE ENTIRE TIME? You'll earn a place on this list.

Fail to use proper commas? You'll earn a place on this list.

Fail to use punctuation? Yup, you'll get a spot here.

Use more "!!" than are completely necessary? Absolutely on this list.

Use run-on sentences such that it makes "TLDR" seem wholly and utterly inadequate in the message it's intended to convey? Come here to find yourself in infamy.

Keep in mind, the above list is descriptive, not exhaustive. I will let the DDF community judge the fates of you, the individuals who have no regard for the English language, your fellow deal-seekers, and indeed life itself.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 02:46:07 PM by AJK »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: I've Had It! The Grammar/Punctuation Hall of Shame Master Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 02:23:59 PM »
authorized user will be affected by someone debt only if its on that card I was effected by unpaid/charged off account
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 02:24:11 PM »
ok so your thinking bout which cards you gotta spend on and how much...its not so much more complex to think about two data that your bill is due

Offline judahk88

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 02:33:10 PM »
I was wondering when this thread would be created. I will probably have some of my posts put here. :-[

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 02:36:07 PM »
I was wondering when this thread would be created. I will probably have some of my posts put here. :-[

This thread is not meant to "out" those that have one or two bad posts.*

This thread is only meant to encourage proper punctuation and grammar for those who consistently and clearly seem to lack it.

Assume three or more posts establishes a pattern of bad behavior.

*Unless the post itself is so egregious that it deserves a post here, despite there not being a "pattern" of abuse.

Offline zek

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 02:39:20 PM »
This whole forum is one big grammatical disaster. Half the time, I can’t understanding what a poster is trying to say, so I just give up and stop reading.

Offline MEIR613

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 02:40:43 PM »
I think we have another Mod in the house.

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 02:42:28 PM »
Fall asleep on your keyboard so your posting style LOOKS LIKE THIS ALL THE ENTIRE TIME? You'll earn a place on this list.

Offline Red

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 02:42:57 PM »
I ain't no moderator...

;)

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 02:44:09 PM »
Happy to see this thread started. I myself don't always use perfect punctuation and grammar but I try. Anything that encourages others to do is the same is welcomed.

"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 02:45:55 PM »

No, this is called "crowd-sourcing grammar control" through intimidation, expression, and numbers.

1) That's not a grammar/punctuation issue.
2) I'm not a pattern abuser.
3) I've fixed it :)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 02:47:06 PM »
Happy to see this thread started. I myself don't always use perfect punctuation and grammar but I try. Anything that encourages others to do is the same is welcomed.

...which is all anyone can ask.

And, to all you pattern abusers, the DDF community can tell if you're trying or not, so don't even try it.

Offline MEIR613

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 02:50:43 PM »
No, this is called "crowd-sourcing grammar control" through intimidation, expression, and numbers.
I agree with you 100%, but there are those that just don't care and still won't care, even after this thread.

It's like the people that keep asking the same questions over and over and over and over (I'll stop here).

They just don't get it.

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 02:55:05 PM »
What boggles my mind about the spelling is that most people are posting from a computer or mobile that has spell check.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline judahk88

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 02:56:19 PM »
What boggles my mind about the spelling is that most people are posting from a computer or mobile that has spell check.
Spelling was never an issue of mine, grammar and punctuation is.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 03:01:53 PM »
OY!!!!!!!!!! im hoping that i wont have to ending up on the thread like this one that is going to be so embarrassing i wont be able to showing my face in publik any more!!!!!!!!!!  :-[

Offline Shreknit

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 03:04:07 PM »
OY!!!!!!!!!! im hoping that i wont have to ending up on the thread like this one that is going to be so embarrassing i wont be able to showing my face in publik any more!!!!!!!!!!  :-[

Publix is a nice place to shop!

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 03:04:34 PM »
Grammar doesn't bother me as long as I can understand it.

What bothers me is really long paragraphs. like
it is a bank of america bankamericard cash rewards card. What happened was that first I called to have him added as an authorized user. When I requested the card, I was prepared to give the SS#. The csr said that they don't need the ss# and the only way it will go on his credit report is if he applies as a co-applicant once we receive the card. So we did that this past Sunday.  My husband did the speaking since he was the primary card holder.  I did not realize that co-applicant was in effect applying for the card which would include a credit pull, until I heard the info my son was giving the csr. I then called back and met up with csr#2. I decided to call again today since I thought more informed people would be working on a weekday.  BTW I also asked for an authorized user card for my daughter at the same time.  Both cards have arrived and they both say cardholder since '01, so I suspect that it does show as an old user. I am still not sure how this card will affect my kids' credit rating. Any help out there???
I want to help this user but I get nauseated looking at such a long winded story with no breaks...

Side question is over using ... a problem? I like them because than I don't have to finish my thought.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 03:04:56 PM »
I agree with you 100%, but there are those that just don't care and still won't care, even after this thread.

It's like the people that keep asking the same questions over and over and over and over (I'll stop here).

They just don't get it.

1) If it helps curb even some of the repeat offenders, I'll consider it a raging success.
2) I'm not as worried about a poster who posts one a month, or even once a week. This isn't truly designed for them; it's designed for those who seek to become/are a part of the DDF community. I think this approach will indeed work for those people.
3) As far as members who continue to ask the same questions, see #2. Also, asking the same questions, annoying as it may be, would be slightly less annoying if they did so with proper grammar and punctuation  :)

Offline MEIR613

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 03:06:20 PM »
Side question is over using ... a problem? I like them because than I don't have to finish my thought.
That's fun for you...not for us ;)