Author Topic: Torah & Hashkafa Questions (PC Free For All)  (Read 162768 times)

Offline flyingace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Torah & Hashkafa Questions (PC Free For All
« Reply #1340 on: October 13, 2023, 02:35:06 PM »
I don't think you are understanding...this is not about emes. It is about timing. We are in a sakana-now is the time to look for good not point out bad.

There's a shiur of Rabbi Wallerstein's ztz"l where he speaks about why he stopped calling out problems in society. In short, he asked his Rebbe if Hashem was happy with him. And after a long wait, his Rebbe said, "no" because Hashem doesn't want to hear bad about his children. Do you think that Hashem doesn't see? He knows the truth- we are meant to find the good and point it out.

There is a time for Hashkafic clarity, but I don't think now is the time.

Offline smurf

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
Re: Torah & Hashkafa Questions (PC Free For All)
« Reply #1341 on: October 13, 2023, 02:35:52 PM »
How do you know which activities are קונה עולם בשעה אחת?
Unless you believe that the idf can stand down and somehow Israelis will stay safe. All those serving NOW are quite literally sacrificing their lives to save other Jews.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
Re: Torah & Hashkafa Questions (PC Free For All
« Reply #1342 on: October 13, 2023, 02:37:12 PM »
I don't think you are understanding...this is not about emes. It is about timing. We are in a sakana-now is the time to look for good not point out bad.
Not pointing out the bad. Rather rectifying a false statement. There is nothing hashkofik in saying that serving isn’t a free pass to sainthood. It’s basic Judaism.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: October 13, 2023, 02:37:29 PM »
Unless you believe that the idf can stand down and somehow Israelis will stay safe. All those serving NOW are quite literally sacrificing their lives to save other Jews.
Correct.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: October 13, 2023, 02:37:48 PM »
There is a time for Hashkafic clarity, but I don't think now is the time.

Now is a perfect time for hashkafic clarity, but not for shaping/defining it.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: October 13, 2023, 02:44:43 PM »
I respectfully disagree. Anytime someone says that would be the appropriate to immediately point out it’s dangerous falsehood.
You are pointing out that a Jew is a sinner. That may be true but doesn't make it a good thing to point out.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: October 13, 2023, 02:46:01 PM »
You are pointing out that a Jew is a sinner. That may be true but doesn't make it a good thing to point out.
Which Jew did I call a sinner?

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1347 on: October 13, 2023, 02:46:15 PM »

Okay. I see. His original post was about being holy.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: October 13, 2023, 02:47:04 PM »
Okay. I see. His original post was about being holy.
Seems I understood it better than you  ;)

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: October 13, 2023, 02:47:54 PM »
Seems I understood it better than you  ;)

You definitely put more effort.

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1350 on: October 13, 2023, 02:49:33 PM »
We're getting stuck on an individual level whether a secular guy in the army is holy, holy at the moment, or not. That's entirely not the point. My qualms were with calling the IDF "the holy soldiers". The mainstream frum world's view on the IDF is very known, ain't gonna mention that now because the timing isn't appropriate, but it is considered a place that is dangerous for a frum boy, and we generally fight nail and tooth our yeshiva boys shouldn't be drafted. If we gonna parade "our holy soldiers" at every battle the state enters, what message is that giving off? It is a dangerous path. The hype that causes applying such terms isn't rooted in Torah and NOT in chassidus. It comes from the human tendency to become excited and not to stay levelheaded in challenging times.

And stop mentioning "pointing to sins", no one pointed to sins, it's about not losing clarity and misapplying exaggerated terms which can come at a harmful cost.   

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: October 13, 2023, 02:51:33 PM »
כי נמצאו בעמי רשעים

ירמיהו ה

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: October 13, 2023, 03:01:11 PM »

In response to a cherry-picked verse, I cherry-picked another to show how easy it is. Was not coming to apply it to us or anyone specifically.

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #1353 on: October 13, 2023, 03:05:35 PM »
Biden has requested a cease-fire in this thread.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half
Dow Jones Industrial Average Tops 40000 for the First Time

Offline Saulius

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: October 14, 2023, 06:28:20 PM »
Powerful daily shiurim given by Rav Moshe Sorotzkin, son of Telshe Rosh HaYeshiva & Mesivta of Lakewood Rav Yitzchok Sorotzkin and son-in-law of the mashgiach Rav Matisyahu Salomon and author of The End Illuminated series, and over a dozen seforim in loshon kodesh, (4 vol. Keitz Hayamim - Sof Hagulut, Keitz Hageulah, etc). His eye-opening drashos bring awareness of the imminent arrival of Mashiach and help us to ready ourselves.
The shiur from this past erev shabbos: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16GaC3brMiUR2gG2yCVSR-Yu4qdNiqGIH/view?usp=drive_link

Shiurim now being uploaded daily to: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/1wJMP_pCBkZ7YYuTNeNpEljlvjUv-QPgQ

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: October 15, 2023, 11:03:54 AM »
Does it give some level of mixed feelings about an attack on a shabbos concert with a getchke in the middle? Somewhat, but at they end of the day they were killed for being Jews.
https://www.daat.ac.il/daat/kitveyet/sinay/albamoteyno-4.htm

Offline aygart

• View Profile

Offline Saulius

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: October 15, 2023, 01:29:15 PM »
Why does being a holy tzadik and a bad rasha need to be contradictory?

Does it give some level of mixed feelings about an attack on a shabbos concert with a getchke in the middle? Somewhat, but at they end of the day they were killed for being Jews.

There was a extremely large silver statue of a Buddha in the middle. The festival was on Shabbos a week after Yom Kippur.  They had both avodah zarah and gilui arayos there, and one of the survivors interviewed said that they were high on drugs so they were disoriented when the attack happened. I just don't understand what the yetzer hora or desire is there to bow or/and dance around a Buddha statue, other than to rebel against hashem.

I saw written on a post elsewhere: "As HaRav Yosef Ya’avetz Hasfardi writes (in his sefer written about the Spanish Inquisition), that whenever an עת צרה ch”v befalls Jews, we must be choker and doresh the reason/averos as to why it came to be. If not, then we could ourselves be chayav for shefichas damim, as it happened for a reason, and ignoring that reason makes it look like it happened stam.
--

Rav Amnon Yitzchak speaks about the chilul hashem in Tel Aviv of how they removed the mechitzas, and hashem removed the mechitzas between us and ישמעאל.

R' Yossi Mizrachi explains the torah hashkafah on how to look at those that were killed in the beginning of his shiur: https://www.torahanytime.com/#/lectures?a=259340 -- And then at 18:50 - he speaks about what was going on at this party.

---
Rav Avigdor Miller on Holocaust Kedoshim
Q:
Would you say that the people who were killed in the Holocaust died al kiddush Hashem?

A:
When people died in the Holocaust, there are two ways of looking at it and both are true. Now, there were many who died and they were not weakened in their emunah in Hakodosh Boruch Hu; they were people who wanted to keep the Torah if they were able to continue to live.  I knew talmidei chachomim personally; temimim, tzaddikim, muvcharim in chochmah and da’as, who were killed.  These people, had they lived, they would have continued to do good things.  So when they died, no question they died with kabalas ol malchus shomayim.  ואהבת את השם אלקיך בכל לבבך ובכל נפשך – And you should love Hashem with all of your thoughts, and with all of your soul; and the Gemara says: בכל נפשך אפילו בשעה שנטל את נפשך – Even when He takes your life, you should love Him (Brachos 54a). I’m sure these people did that.

And therefore when frum Jews died, it was a special zechus for them, and their misah was mechaperes for anything that they did; and no question that they became bnei Olam Haboh.

Now, the not-frum Jews, those who persisted down to the end in disobeying the Torah, there’s a certain limud zechus on them – not that they were tzaddikim, but since they were killed because they were Jews they deserve some credit.  Yes, anybody who was killed because he was a Jew deserves some credit.

However, if that credit is enough to make him a kadosh, I don’t think it’s enough.  If he didn’t daven and he didn’t put on tefillin down to the last minute then he’s not a kadosh. In some cases there were tefillin in the camps. And he didn’t put on tefillin because he didn’t want anything to do with it. He didn’t care about Yom Kippur – not even at the last minute – so the fact that he was killed as a Jew, should that mean anything? He didn’t want to be known as a Jew.  Had he had the opportunity, he would have become a meshumad.  In Budapest just before the destruction came, many Jews, many thousands, were upshmading themselves every day in Budapest.  So to say that this man deserves credit now, it’s very hard to say.

Still there is something there. I’m sure something was deducted from his onesh for the fact that he was killed because he’s a Jew, but is it enough to save him from the onesh that was waiting for him in the other world?  I don’t think so. I don’t think so.

TAPE # E-123 (September 1997)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 01:36:10 PM by Saulius »

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: October 15, 2023, 01:30:38 PM »
Uh oh

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: October 15, 2023, 01:35:58 PM »
R' Yossi Mizrachi explains the torah hashkafah on how to look at those that were killed in the beginning of his shiur: https://www.torahanytime.com/#/lectures?a=259340 -- And then at 18:50 - he speaks about what was going on at this party.
https://jewinthecity.com/2016/12/prominent-orthodox-rabbis-call-out-yosef-mizrachi/