Topic Wiki

The wiki is divided into groups for "fact" and "opinion." Please feel free to add whichever facts you know and opinions you have. Please try to avoid cluttering the wiki with unnecessary information such as outside links.

Please do not delete anything from this wiki.  If you disagree with an opinion, feel free to post your own. If you disagree with a fact--well, that's your opinion, and feel free to post it under opinions!

Facts
The flu vaccine causes more deaths per year than chicken pox.
The direct injection of RSV immunoglobulin, commonly known as the "RSV vaccine" would prevent 16x more deaths than the flu vaccine does, but is too expensive.
There is a vaccine for the plague, and that is why it is no longer an epidemic.
Ebola is caused by vaccines.
There is a vaccine for autism, but it causes mumps.

Opinions
Vaccines do not contain thimerosal, a known toxin.
If you snuck up on your neighbor's kid and cut open his skull, you would be arrested.  But when brain surgeons do it, and charge hundreds of thousands of dollars, it considered "medicine."
99% of vaccines do not cause autism (HT JJ1000).
Every pedi has seen healthy kids become sick physically & mentally hours after a vax (HT Baryochai)
Vaccines cause cancer, infertility, astma, adhd etc (HT Baryochai)

Poll

Did You Get The Flu Vaccine This Winter?

Yes (Shot)
121 (37.6%)
Yes (Nasal Spray)
5 (1.6%)
No
196 (60.9%)

Total Members Voted: 320

Author Topic: Vaccine Discussion Master Thread  (Read 561951 times)

Offline YankyDoodle

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Vaccine Discussion Master Thread
« Reply #1240 on: November 16, 2014, 09:06:16 AM »
A few points... As has been mentioned numerous times, seizures are not a "normal" reaction but they are also not life threatening nor do they have detrimental long-term effects. @ Wayfe, you keep mentioning the risk of increased febrile seizures following a vaccine induced febrile seizure. Do you have a source to back that up? The study you quoted originally seems fairly confident that there are no serious detrimental long-term effects that they were able to find.

@ Wayfe (again) did you read the portion of that NIH study that discussed what happened in Sweden after they stopped DTP? What are your thoughts on that? Please don't pick and choose when to be scientific in your analysis of health risk vs benefit.

Lastly, they started using TDaP years ago (started in Japan) for this exact reason (adverse effects such as seizures, redness, swelling etc). the aP (acellular pertussis) is not a live bacteria as compared to (whole cell) pertussis.

I have no problem with parents making their own decisions and having eyes wide open about risks, but when you have organizations putting out blatant lies (like PEACH) and you have people making medical decisions that effect all of us as a society without any significant scientific data it rubs me the wring way.

Just so we're clear, there are many vaccines that have been produced that pharmaceutical companies have invested $$$$$ into that are no longer on the market. Either as a result of their severe side effects or because they did not cure what they were purported to cure. Doctors do not benefit from hurting & lying to their patients!

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: November 17, 2014, 01:36:54 PM »
Did you know that the US has a federal agency whose purpose is to pay compensation to people who are harmed by vaccines?
http://www.uscfc.uscourts.gov/vaccine-programoffice-special-masters

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_VACCINE_COURT?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-11-17-13-24-36

What else don't you know?

Offline YankyDoodle

• View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: November 17, 2014, 03:12:54 PM »
Did you know that the US has a federal agency whose purpose is to pay compensation to people who are harmed by vaccines?
http://www.uscfc.uscourts.gov/vaccine-programoffice-special-masters

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_VACCINE_COURT?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-11-17-13-24-36

What else don't you know?
This was set up because the lawsuits (by your colleagues) were so costly and time consuming that the vaccine manufacturers all but closed up shop. In an attempt to keep vaccine production active the government created a court that would be able to keep the risk towards pharmaceutical companies to a relatively fixed amount (not unlike the need for tort reform in order to keep doctors in risky fields within their state).

It takes years to build a tower but mere minutes to tear it down. Find causative proof that vaccines risk outweighs their reward and the majority of doctors and society will buy in, otherwise it is easy to cast aspersions on an entity that happens to be given around the time that children begin to display developmental disabilities (for all we know Gerber baby cereal is a cause of autism).

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: November 17, 2014, 04:12:20 PM »
The court pays out 42% of claims. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccine_court

That's a pretty high number considering all the claims are frivolous. No?

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1244 on: November 17, 2014, 05:05:30 PM »

who ever said that all are frivolous?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline YankyDoodle

• View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: November 17, 2014, 07:48:45 PM »
who ever said that all are frivolous?
Dont ttack the straw-man it's one of their go-to's (not hence he's just trolling for fun).

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: November 17, 2014, 08:13:02 PM »
Dont ttack the straw-man it's one of their go-to's (not hence he's just trolling for fun).

Straw man? When did a doctor ever tell you about any risk from vaccines? (besides your arm being sore or feeling a bit off for a day) We were given an entire brochure about how there are no risks.

I've seen it stated many times that there are "no risks." 

But, since you're disavowing that--tell me all about these injuries caused by vaccines that are being compensated by this agency, with a payout rate of 42% of all claims filed.

Offline elit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: November 17, 2014, 10:17:07 PM »
I don't think he's trolling i think he just had a kid and all the shots they're giving the baby is making him rethink his stance 😁

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: November 17, 2014, 11:11:55 PM »
I don't think he's trolling i think he just had a kid and all the shots they're giving the baby is making him rethink his stance 😁

We actually even asked for an extra vaccine. We wanted the RSV because he was early. But they said it is too expensive and the insurance companies won't cover it. They also said it isn't technically a vaccine--they actually inject the antibodies themselves instead of stimulating your body to make them.

But yes, it does make me uncomfortable the number of things they want to stick you with, and the way the things they tell you don't always quite add up.  My pediatrician starts giving vaccines only after 2 months. Why only after 2 months I asked them? They said that's when the baby's immune system starts working. Ok, but why not just give them earlier just in case? Is it more dangerous? Ok, so my baby is six weeks early, so do we go by gestational age like other developmental milestones? No, all babies at 2 months. Hmmm. So but the NICU wanted to give him Hep B before he left (in case he was molested?)--why don't they want to wait 2 months?

You kind of end up feeling like there's stuff they don't think you are trusted enough to know. I'm a lawyer. I'm on a need to know basis, and I always need to know.

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: November 17, 2014, 11:16:53 PM »
We actually even asked for an extra vaccine. We wanted the RSV because he was early. But they said it is too expensive and the insurance companies won't cover it. They also said it isn't technically a vaccine--they actually inject the antibodies themselves instead of stimulating your body to make them.

But yes, it does make me uncomfortable the number of things they want to stick you with, and the way the things they tell you don't always quite add up.  My pediatrician starts giving vaccines only after 2 months. Why only after 2 months I asked them? They said that's when the baby's immune system starts working. Ok, but why not just give them earlier just in case? Is it more dangerous? Ok, so my baby is six weeks early, so do we go by gestational age like other developmental milestones? No, all babies at 2 months. Hmmm. So but the NICU wanted to give him Hep B before he left (in case he was molested?)--why don't they want to wait 2 months?

You kind of end up feeling like there's stuff they don't think you are trusted enough to know. I'm a lawyer. I'm on a need to know basis, and I always need to know.
So are you totally on the quack side as far as the hep B vax -at the hospital- for frum familes? (Next up for Q would be chicken pox)

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: November 17, 2014, 11:17:41 PM »

did you read the article that you linked to?

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: November 17, 2014, 11:21:35 PM »
So are you totally on the quack side as far as the hep B vax -at the hospital- for frum familes? (Next up for Q would be chicken pox)

Yes, I'm full quack on that one. And obviously also for HPV.

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: November 17, 2014, 11:30:02 PM »
PSA... Don't forget to take Vitamin D supplements...

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: November 18, 2014, 12:16:36 AM »
PSA... Don't forget to take Vitamin D supplements...

?

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: November 18, 2014, 12:36:32 AM »
?

CA courts find in the applicant's favor in 97% of cases.  97%. Does anyone really think that all those employers are stupid enough to lie and then let it get to trial? The findings of the court in compensation cases are no proof at all.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: November 18, 2014, 12:40:40 AM »
CA courts find in the applicant's favor in 97% of cases.  97%. Does anyone really think that all those employers are stupid enough to lie and then let it get to trial? The findings of the court in compensation cases are no proof at all.

Employers? What's that got to do with it.

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: November 18, 2014, 12:41:32 AM »
Employers? What's that got to do with it.
Frivolous Medical claims are the common denominator

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: November 18, 2014, 04:33:24 AM »
Frivolous Medical claims are the common denominator

Sorry, I'm not getting your point. Maybe I missed the first step. What does "CA" stand for? California?

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: November 18, 2014, 08:54:29 AM »
This is especially so when the court has lower standards of evidence as stated in the quoted ap article.

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: November 18, 2014, 10:36:10 AM »
Sorry, I'm not getting your point. Maybe I missed the first step. What does "CA" stand for? California?
Yes. 
My point is that the fact that a court recognizes a medical claim doesn't make it true. Doctors recognizing it does.  Regardless of whether you like the mashal, the point stands.