Topic Wiki

One line summary:
Areivim USA is a dignified way to give צדקה. It is not Life Insurance and doesn't guarantee any sort of financial protection to its members. it is registered as a religious organization and as such isn't required to incur the additional cost of preparing and filing form 990 with the IRS.

http://www.areivim.info/rform.php

Eb228
I spoke to Areivim at length as I sell life insurance and wanted to best advise ppl that had Areivim already and wanted to supplement it with LI.
I was told that it has never happened that Areivim declined to pay out based on someones assets or LI. It has happened that the family told them they don't need the money, but they never told the family no.
Simple reasoning is, they also think that 100K per yasom doesn't really cover it, the program just won't allow for a higher payout at $28/ monthly. So they encourage everyone to have LI as well to make sure kids are adequetly covered, and owning LI does not disqualify a payout [unless each kid will receive over a million dollars etc].

They are tax exempt. Click on the below IRS link and then download the first attachment. Then search "Areivim USA"

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/tax-exempt-organization-search-bulk-data-downloads

This (I have been to a few Areivim meeting with these Rabbonim)

Harav Elya Brudny, Rosh Yeshivas Mir Flatbush;
Harav Yitzchok Isaac Eichenstein, Galanter Rav;
Harav Doniel Geldzahler, Rosh Yeshivas Ohr Yisrael;
Harav Binyomin Zev Landau, Tosher Dayan of Boro Park;
Harav Henoch Shachar, Rav of Klal Ohr Tuvia in Lakewood

Areivim Terms and Conditions (emphasis added):
4) Areivim USA is not life insurance. Areivim USA has been established primarily as a charitable endeavor and its halachic status is like that of all tzedakah money collected from the public. In the event of a the passing of a member r”l, all contributions can be made with maaser money.

5) In the event of (G-d forbid) a large number of deaths among members (as a result of a war, an earthquake, etc.), Areivim USA reserves the right to consult with its Rabbinical Board on proper procedures.

6) Members have no rights to sue or submit legal claims against the decisions of Areivim USA or its Rabbinical Board, including for failure to initiate a collection. There are no oral agreements or other commitments between Areivim USA and its members, and no such oral agreements or commitments shall be given any legal effect.

« Last edited by ExGingi on May 30, 2021, 11:11:03 AM »

Poll

Do you have Areivim & Life Insurance? (NOTE: Areivim is not life insurance)

Yes
49 (70%)
Only Areivim
21 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Areivim USA - Coronavirus  (Read 150885 times)

Offline gogreen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Areivim USA - Coronavirus
« Reply #1040 on: December 29, 2023, 01:19:54 PM »
Areivim is getting translated to Aravim

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: December 29, 2023, 03:56:26 PM »
Areivim is getting interpreted as Aravim

DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Fish Tank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: December 30, 2023, 10:47:46 PM »
I haven't visited this thread since COVID.

It looks like the recent posts from June are positive and the organization is reliable as long as the member discloses their medical history.

Do they pay out if the member has life insurance?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: December 31, 2023, 10:23:45 AM »
I haven't visited this thread since COVID.

It looks like the recent posts from June are positive and the organization is reliable as long as the member discloses their medical history.

Do they pay out if the member has life insurance?

Did you see the tweets from last week? :o

פארשידענע אומקלארע תירוצים
doesn’t just mean preexisting medical issues.

Offline Fish Tank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: January 01, 2024, 05:22:54 PM »
Did you see the tweets from last week? :o
No, what did I miss?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: February 15, 2024, 02:37:37 PM »
https://open.substack.com/pub/darchecha/p/whatever-happened-to-those-frum-life
14 years ago, smart people proved they couldn't succeed. But were they right?

Every now and then something (or someone) reminds me of some unfinished business from ancient history. This time around, it’s the years-old controversy over whether community “life insurance” collectives made any sense. When I first heard the strength of the arguments against them (as presented by R’ Yakov Horowitz and someone identifying him or herself as “OLD FRUM ACTUARY”), I assumed that groups like Areivim USA would soon fail and quietly go wherever all bad ideas go.

One issue is that the program’s existence would seem to discourage families from purchasing commercial term life insurance. Besides the fact that term life is inexpensive and reliable, it was also strongly recommended by R’ Moshe Feinstein. But the primary problem is that the math simply doesn’t add up. The system, as advertised, can’t possibly work.

But it seems that Areivim is definitely still around. And their regularly-updated website even explains how a temporary contribution increase allowed them to make it through the difficult COVID years. I can’t even find anyone on the internet with anything bad to say about them.

What do you do when “impossible” comes face-to-face with “well, it’s happening”? We’ll get to that soon. But first I should explain the “impossible” part.

The idea is for large numbers of frum families (ideally 16,500 per group) to agree to contribute as much as $42 each month for one-time $150,000 payments for each eligible child. The payments would be managed in a low-risk trust until, say, the child gets married.

Before we can properly assess whether these plans actually make sense, we’ll need to understand mortality rates in the Orthodox community. In other words, from a statistical perspective, how many Orthodox Jews do we “expect” to die each year. More specifically, since the plans cover the lives of parents of younger children, how many Orthodox Jews between the ages of 25 and 64 do we “expect” to die each year.

We won’t find exactly the numbers we’re after here, but there’s enough associated demographic data available to allow us some good estimates.

Between 2000 and 2020, New Jersey residents between 25 and 64 years old died at an average annual rate of 682 people per 100,000. In the context of a single Areivim group (16,500 members), that would translate to around 112 deaths. Assuming, on average that each of those 112 parents left four eligible orphans, there would be only $18,400 available for each child. That’s not even close to the program guarantee.

Is it possible that Orthodox Jews don’t die at the same rates? Interestingly, that does seem to be the case. The average white resident of Lakewood Township - which, as we’ve already noted, is for all intents and purposes statistically Jewish - lives until 79.49 years, compared with the 77.17 year average enjoyed by all white residents of New Jersey. Who knew that bad traffic and Thursday night cholent were good for you?

We might be able to do a better job quantifying the discrepancy between mortality rates in the frum and general populations. Averaged over 20 years or so, the crude all-causes annual death rate (per 100,000 residents) for all New Jersey residents was around 835, while the corresponding rate for Lakewood was just 694 - a difference of 17%. Which is weird. When I removed the COVID years (2020-21) where the numbers were a bit strange, the difference dropped to 14%

Now if I were to reduce the general New Jersey expected annual deaths for individuals between 25 and 64 years by the 14% “Jewish” difference, I’d get 97 expected annual deaths for each full Areivim group. That would bring the payout for each orphan up to around $21,400, which is still nowhere near the promised amount.

So why has Areivim not collapsed under the weight of bad math? How were they able to survive COVID with nothing more than a temporary contribution increase? I can imagine some or all of these factors could have played a role:

Because Areivim excludes people with pre-existing conditions, their members are going to be healthier and will therefore die at significantly lower rates.
Because Areivim doesn’t issue payouts to orphans whose families have other adequate sources of funds, a significant percentage of group members won’t be eligible for payouts.
Because group member demographics are likely skewed towards (slightly?) wealthier families (and families who are likely to have their own term insurance policies), the proportion of ineligible orphans is going to be higher.
Because Areivim cancels membership for individuals who are delinquent in their payments, the funds those members had paid until that point remain in the pot for use by everyone else.
Because Areivim encourages donations.
Perhaps most of all because Areivim was created by wealthy individuals who were alarmed by the suffering endured by uninsured families - and by how often they were approached for funds to rescue suffering orphans. It’s reasonable to expect that such wealthy people would have an interest in quietly propping up their system to ensure it doesn’t collapse (ותהא עליהם ברכות).
Organizations like Areivim deserve a lot of credit for understanding these economics and using them to craft a successful chessed movement. But I believe the public-facing message should still be focused on traditional commercial term life insurance policies.

Do you have any inside information on this trend? Please do share it.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1047 on: February 15, 2024, 03:41:28 PM »

Because Areivim excludes people with pre-existing conditions, their members are going to be healthier and will therefore die at significantly lower rates.
Because Areivim doesn’t issue payouts to orphans whose families have other adequate sources of funds, a significant percentage of group members won’t be eligible for payouts.
Because group member demographics are likely skewed towards (slightly?) wealthier families (and families who are likely to have their own term insurance policies), the proportion of ineligible orphans is going to be higher.
Because Areivim cancels membership for individuals who are delinquent in their payments, the funds those members had paid until that point remain in the pot for use by everyone else.
Because Areivim encourages donations.
Perhaps most of all because Areivim was created by wealthy individuals who were alarmed by the suffering endured by uninsured families - and by how often they were approached for funds to rescue suffering orphans. It’s reasonable to expect that such wealthy people would have an interest in quietly propping up their system to ensure it doesn’t collapse (ותהא עליהם ברכות).

A good portion of these are at best of questionable accuracy
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: February 15, 2024, 04:12:27 PM »

Is it possible that Orthodox Jews don’t die at the same rates? Interestingly, that does seem to be the case. The average white resident of Lakewood Township - which, as we’ve already noted, is for all intents and purposes statistically Jewish - lives until 79.49 years, compared with the 77.17 year average enjoyed by all white residents of New Jersey. Who knew that bad traffic and Thursday night cholent were good for you?

Should we tell him about Leisure Village?
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: February 15, 2024, 04:18:07 PM »

I can’t even find anyone on the internet with anything bad to say about them.

Say what?

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1050 on: February 16, 2024, 12:51:09 AM »
Funny how he applies terrible math to declare how bad the math is. One glaring mistake is to assume that the age group of Arevim members is from 25 all the way to 64 years old, and that all these members are evenly distributed. Furthermore, he groups together the mortality rate for 25 year olds with 64 year olds, when we know that deaths for this wide age group are heavily distributed at the end of the age curve. And those most likely to die probably don’t have 4 eligible children to collect for. And so on.

Aside for that, some of the facts he states are simply false, both for/against Arevim. I find that this thread is a lot more insightful.
Visibly Jewish

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: February 16, 2024, 09:11:18 AM »
Funny how he applies terrible math to declare how bad the math is. One glaring mistake is to assume that the age group of Arevim members is from 25 all the way to 64 years old, and that all these members are evenly distributed. Furthermore, he groups together the mortality rate for 25 year olds with 64 year olds, when we know that deaths for this wide age group are heavily distributed at the end of the age curve. And those most likely to die probably don’t have 4 eligible children to collect for. And so on.

Aside for that, some of the facts he states are simply false, both for/against Arevim. I find that this thread is a lot more insightful.
From looking at a couple of more posts of his, this looks like a theme.

Offline dovy2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: February 16, 2024, 09:59:13 AM »
being that we are already many years "into" Araivim, why not use the data from aravim themselves? wouldn't that be the most accurate?
(I understand that they might not want to disclose it, but if their number do indeed match, then they will only gain by being transparent, as people will trust them more)
disclaimer: I am a current Araivim member, AND I have term LI

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: February 16, 2024, 01:51:14 PM »
being that we are already many years "into" Araivim, why not use the data from aravim themselves? wouldn't that be the most accurate?
(I understand that they might not want to disclose it, but if their number do indeed match, then they will only gain by being transparent, as people will trust them more)
disclaimer: I am a current Araivim member, AND I have term LI

Over the last 24 months Areivim billed the full amount each month. Sometimes they said that a collection would continue into the next month if there were more than 4 eligible children. Which means that there were fewer than 12 deaths per year from their eligible cohort. But this makes me question the fact that they are billing every single month, it’s very convenient that there’s always something to bill for each month. It doesn’t add up. 

And now I decided to look at the last 5 months of collections emails, here’s the amount of eligible children/spouses they were collecting for:

October - 7‬
November - 8‬
December - 6‬
January - 8‬
February - 7‬

That’s a problem. The $42 is only meant to cover 4 orphans/spouses per month. Instead of a max of 20 people that can be covered during those 5 months, Areivim is purporting to cover 36, almost double the amount. The only way this can make sense is if the cohort is 1.8x larger than originally intended and would be at 25,714 people, or if Areivim is not paying out these members in full.

I am having serious doubts about them and would cancel if I cannot get clarity on this.

Visibly Jewish

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: February 16, 2024, 01:58:16 PM »
Over the last 24 months Areivim billed the full amount each month. Sometimes they said that a collection would continue into the next month if there were more than 4 eligible children. Which means that there were fewer than 12 deaths per year from their eligible cohort. But this makes me question the fact that they are billing every single month, it’s very convenient that there’s always something to bill for each month. It doesn’t add up. 

And now I decided to look at the last 5 months of collections emails, here’s the amount of eligible children/spouses they were collecting for:

October - 7‬
November - 8‬
December - 6‬
January - 8‬
February - 7‬

That’s a problem. The $42 is only meant to cover 4 orphans/spouses per month. Instead of a max of 20 people that can be covered during those 5 months, Areivim is purporting to cover 36, almost double the amount. The only way this can make sense is if the cohort is 1.8x larger than originally intended and would be at 25,714 people, or if Areivim is not paying out these members in full.

I am having serious doubts about them and would cancel if I cannot get clarity on this.

It can be larger families than intended.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: February 16, 2024, 02:04:25 PM »
It can be larger families than intended.

October was 3 deaths - 4 + 2 + 1 = 7. The last 2 didn’t mention the spouse getting covered.
December was 2 deaths - 5 + 1, again the 2nd one the spouse wasn’t covered.

Odd that there are so many spouses that aren’t covered. Regardless, the results cannot be sustained.
Visibly Jewish

Offline dovy2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: February 18, 2024, 11:16:27 AM »

October - 7‬
November - 8‬
December - 6‬
January - 8‬
February - 7‬

Do we know for sure that they are making cohorts? maybe they only have 1 large pool? and that's why they keep pushing for more memberships

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: February 18, 2024, 11:40:28 AM »
Do we know for sure that they are making cohorts? maybe they only have 1 large pool? and that's why they keep pushing for more memberships

From the FAQ, it sounds like one cohort with a goal 15,000 and more if possible.
"Although group size is not guaranteed, Areivim USA aims to keep the group size at 15,000 or more."

October was 3 deaths - 4 + 2 + 1 = 7. The last 2 didn’t mention the spouse getting covered.
December was 2 deaths - 5 + 1, again the 2nd one the spouse wasn’t covered.

Odd that there are so many spouses that aren’t covered. Regardless, the results cannot be sustained.

So this answers it, spouses are only covered when there's 3+ orphans.
"An additional fund of up to $150,000 will be raised for the surviving parent of three or more unmarried orphans, to help cover the cost of raising a large family alone."

And regarding payment amounts, Areivim gives "up to" $150,00 per orphan, but in reality they are just splitting the payments between them and since there are more than 4 orphans per month each one is receiving far less.

"Here's How Areivim USA Works
Community members sign up to join Areivim USA.

In the event of the death of an Areivim USA member r"l, all members in the group contribute towards a fund of up to $150,000 per orphan. The amount of the fund is divided between the members in the group."
Visibly Jewish

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: February 18, 2024, 11:42:06 AM »

Cohorts don’t make sense when it’s continuous enrollment, you’ll almost never have full cohorts.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: February 18, 2024, 11:43:56 AM »
From the FAQ, it sounds like one cohort with a goal 15,000 and more if possible.
"Although group size is not guaranteed, Areivim USA aims to keep the group size at 15,000 or more."

So this answers it, spouses are only covered when there's 3+ orphans.
"An additional fund of up to $150,000 will be raised for the surviving parent of three or more unmarried orphans, to help cover the cost of raising a large family alone."

And regarding payment amounts, Areivim gives "up to" $150,00 per orphan, but in reality they are just splitting the payments between them and since there are more than 4 orphans per month each one is receiving far less.

"Here's How Areivim USA Works
Community members sign up to join Areivim USA.

In the event of the death of an Areivim USA member r"l, all members in the group contribute towards a fund of up to $150,000 per orphan. The amount of the fund is divided between the members in the group."

What does this even mean? A family of 10 would get the same amount as a family of 3, but the (multiples of?) $150k is split more ways?