Author Topic: I need to evict a tenant in Lakewood ASAP  (Read 45939 times)

Offline ari3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: I need to evict a tenant in Lakewood ASAP
« Reply #560 on: July 31, 2022, 09:07:39 PM »
You can say that about any seeming act of altruism, or you can choose another more positive outlook such as “to be a nice guy”. Every good deed also has the side effect of making the benefactor feel righteous.

It’s interesting that you immediately chose the more pessimistic stance. Is this an emotionally laden subject for you?
You weren't clear about the circumstances of the mentioned transaction so I wrote that as one of the options. With the additional details mentioned that wouldn't be the reason and Seemingly the other option I mentioned about trying to make sure the sale doesn't fall apart was more on the mark. It may have been done altruistically as well. I once had a realtor who took care of all the township inspections for me to ensure the sale happened on time.

As a Landlord my interests are not aligned with excessive tenant protections but the attitudes expressed by the OP get me upset. I can be pro yashrus and halacha even if it doesn't serve my interests.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 12:01:43 AM by ari3 »

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #561 on: July 31, 2022, 09:50:22 PM »
You weren't clear about the circumstances of the mentioned transaction so I wrote that as one of the options. With the additional details mentioned that wouldn't be the reason and Seemingly the other option I mentioned about trying to make sure the sale doesn't fall apart was more on the mark. I once had a realtor who took care of all the township inspections for me to ensure the sale happened on time.
Yes, but why didn’t you offer “trying to be nice” as an option? That one is actually closest to the truth. Many times our positive actions have beneficial aspects for us as well, intentional or not, but that shouldn’t detract from the overarching goodness of trying to be kind. The option of “feeling like a tzadik” is an inherently cynical way of viewing the primary positive behavior, namely acting like a tzadik.

As a Landlord my interests are not aligned with excessive tenant protections but the attitudes expressed by the OP get me upset.
So yes.  ;)
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline yerushabubby

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: July 31, 2022, 11:15:26 PM »
Yes the sense of entitlement of the OP not caring about a binding contract or what is right and looking shop batei din absolutely hit a raw nerve.

That is one way to look at his post.  I chose to see it as the post of someone frustrated and somewhat desperate.

Should he have worded it better?  Yes. 

Should we understand his frustration?  In my opinion, also yes.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #563 on: July 31, 2022, 11:17:56 PM »
That is one way to look at his post.  I chose to see it as the post of someone frustrated and somewhat desperate.

Should he have worded it better?  Yes. 

Should we understand his frustration?  In my opinion, also yes.
Sorry I disagree. His tenants were being perfectly reasonable and he was being a total jerk
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yerushabubby

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 31, 2022, 11:23:40 PM »
Why should the fact that they are behaving reasonably make him less frustrated? 

He went into a situation, assuming (wrongly) that he could raise the rent to market value, only to find that he can't.  How does that make him a jerk?

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #565 on: July 31, 2022, 11:32:19 PM »

He went into a situation, assuming (wrongly) that he could raise the rent to market value, only to find that he can't.  How does that make him a jerk?
How he behaved after finding that out.

Offline dealmaster

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 31, 2022, 11:36:44 PM »

I don’t like calling anyone a jerk, but you kind of answered your own question- don’t buy a property in a different town without knowing the ins and outs of how raising rent works and assume the tenant will say sure(and if your only plan for how to make money on the deal calls for raising the rent make double sure you can do what you want to do). In short it is on the buyer to do his due diligence and not feel entitled to doing as he pleases- caveat emptor(I know it isn’t exactly this case, but the point is there)
"THE ONLY EASY DAY WAS YESTERDAY"-US NAVY SEALS-something any growing person will always bear in mindוהוי לומד מכל אדם

Offline yerushabubby

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 31, 2022, 11:42:13 PM »
I don’t like calling anyone a jerk, but you kind of answered your own question- don’t buy a property in a different town without knowing the ins and outs of how raising rent works and assume the tenant will say sure(and if your only plan for how to make money on the deal calls for raising the rent make double sure you can do what you want to do). In short it is on the buyer to do his due diligence and not feel entitled to doing as he pleases- caveat emptor(I know it isn’t exactly this case, but the point is there)

This makes him naïve and uninformed (or maximum stupid), not a jerk.

I did not say that I agree with his attitude, just that I can understand how frustration can lead to such an attitude.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 31, 2022, 11:44:43 PM »

I did not say that I agree with his attitude, just that I can understand how frustration can lead to such an attitude.
Why would he feel that the tenants need to just roll over and acquiesce just because he wants more money? He got so upset at them because they did the terrible sin of making a counter offer?

Offline dealmaster

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 31, 2022, 11:46:04 PM »

again I’m not calling anyone a jerk, but if you are naïve and stupid and then rail against someone else (like it is the tenant that is the problem) some may say that constitutes as “jerk-like” behavior
"THE ONLY EASY DAY WAS YESTERDAY"-US NAVY SEALS-something any growing person will always bear in mindוהוי לומד מכל אדם

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #570 on: July 31, 2022, 11:46:44 PM »

Look at their update in the OP! Look at the follow up posts. They all but spell out, "I don't care about being a jerk".

If they got into this based on bad advice and not understanding things fully, that's their own fault. But there has been zero reflection or reckoning, just a bull headed drive towards a single selfish goal with zero care for collateral damage. What is a jerk if not that?

Offline daybyday

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: August 01, 2022, 12:48:07 AM »
Look at their update in the OP! Look at the follow up posts. They all but spell out, "I don't care about being a jerk".

If they got into this based on bad advice and not understanding things fully, that's their own fault. But there has been zero reflection or reckoning, just a bull headed drive towards a single selfish goal with zero care for collateral damage. What is a jerk if not that?
Correct he pretty much said it straight out. And a person who says "I don't care about being a jerk" most definitely is a Jerk :)
The whole premise of 'oy I won't make money how can I evict' sounds narcissistically entitled. Do your homework and figure out ur bottom line before you make a purchase. I own properties it is my responsibility to make it work not my renter's responsibility.

Offline Yid13

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: August 01, 2022, 02:39:52 PM »
Looks like this thread hasn't been getting enough love lately, as there hasn't been a single reply in the last 12 hours.

Is there anything we could do to revamp the discussion?

:)

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #573 on: August 01, 2022, 02:42:44 PM »
Looks like this thread hasn't been getting enough love lately, as there hasn't been a single reply in the last 12 hours.

Ask @Sienna for an update.

אי בעית אימא: People need a different flavor of popcorn.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #574 on: August 01, 2022, 02:47:24 PM »

Been circular/stale for days now.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline jye

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: August 01, 2022, 02:54:50 PM »
Got to start an “I’m a morah in Lakewood and I’ve got to raise my fees mid-year. Which Rav will give me the ok?” thread.

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #576 on: August 01, 2022, 02:55:53 PM »

Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half
Dow Jones Industrial Average Tops 40000 for the First Time

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #577 on: August 01, 2022, 02:57:56 PM »

Throw it some popcorn to increase the speed.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: August 01, 2022, 02:59:59 PM »
Got to start an “I’m a morah in Lakewood and I’ve got to raise my fees mid-year. Which Rav will give me the ok?” thread.
Talking about babysitters/playgroup Morahs, if my wage doubled in 3-4 years while doing the same job and having the same experience....Wow. Anyways, I have no issues paying them what they want, just that the rest of the jobs have to keep up with their pace.

Offline jye

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: August 01, 2022, 03:12:28 PM »
Talking about babysitters/playgroup Morahs, if my wage doubled in 3-4 years while doing the same job and having the same experience....Wow. Anyways, I have no issues paying them what they want, just that the rest of the jobs have to keep up with their pace.
Your house doubled. Your (new) basement tenant is paying double. Your secretary straight out of seminary is getting 25 an hour. Why should the Morahs be charging the prices they did when Lakewood was a yeshiva town with one bagel shop? They are still an amazing bargain relative to other communities.

Some morahs who locked in rates too early are practically breaking even after factoring in the rental value of the basement they are foregoing, the increased cost of an assistant, and supplies.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 03:15:56 PM by jye »