Author Topic: Help search and find a mekor (source for Jewish ideas)  (Read 20336 times)

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Help search and find a mekor (source for Jewish ideas)
« Reply #240 on: May 21, 2024, 11:27:52 PM »
I am sure some will tell you it is this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beltane
https://www.jewishpress.com/judaism/halacha-hashkafa/why-we-celebrate-lag-bomer-part-i/2023/04/26/
It must be noted that the idea of lighting bonfires is not of Jewish origin. Bonfires were known in Christian Europe as a way to honor Christian saints as far back as the tenth century. They don’t appear as a Jewish practice until the 16th century. The word bonfire derives from the words “fire of bones.” The term became to be used for any large fires used in celebrations, although it is originally associated with various Christian saints, particularly John and Peter. Most Christian scholars say that the practice of celebrating saints with bonfires is traced to pagan, pre-Christian sources which were later adapted by Christianity. Indeed, the Celtics made bonfires to honor some of their deities and spirits. From: http://www.kashrut.org/forum/viewpost.asp?mid=8751. Nevertheless, it may just be that lighting bonfires in honor of the dead may have indeed have a Jewish Scriptural source, see: Divrei Hayamim 2 16:14. See also: http://parsha.blogspot.com/2008/05/is-burning-pyre-to-rabbi-shimon-bar.html.

Growing up in Lakewood I don't think I ever saw a lag baomer fire. Now it seems like it's a must for every school and neighborhood.

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 22, 2024, 12:28:34 AM »
https://www.jewishpress.com/judaism/halacha-hashkafa/why-we-celebrate-lag-bomer-part-i/2023/04/26/
Growing up in Lakewood I don't think I ever saw a lag baomer fire. Now it seems like it's a must for every school and neighborhood.

Not just Lakewood, there were almost no fires anywhere in חוץ לארץ. Stolin made a fire, and maybe one or two more, that was it. Nowadays everything goes, if they do it in Meron, let's do it here too, hey it's nice and fun. nu nu.
With that being said, going there again with Christian and pagan origins is so tiresome and nauseating.  ::)

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 22, 2024, 08:56:36 AM »
With that being said, going there again with Christian and pagan origins is so tiresome and nauseating.  ::)
Need to wonder if when the Tosefta was published listening various דרכי אמורי including dancing around fires it elicited similar eye rolling  ::)

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 22, 2024, 10:53:49 AM »
Need to wonder if when the Tosefta was published listening various דרכי אמורי including dancing around fires it elicited similar eye rolling  ::)

The Tosefta was obviously listing certain דרכי אמורי that we shouldn't follow, not the other way around, looking for Jewish customs if there are similar practices anywhere in the world throughout history and by default assuming it to be the root for our traditions, like we so often see by ones who are majorly influenced by goyish culture today and are quick to assume the same about our forefathers too.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 26, 2024, 01:27:54 AM »
The Tosefta was obviously listing certain דרכי אמורי that we shouldn't follow, not the other way around, looking for Jewish customs if there are similar practices anywhere in the world throughout history and by default assuming it to be the root for our traditions, like we so often see by ones who are majorly influenced by goyish culture today and are quick to assume the same about our forefathers too.
There is a different school of thought which you aren’t accounting for. While assuming that the dancing around the fire didn’t originate in the fashion of the various עע״ז, nonetheless it’s too similar to it condone as something worthwhile. Better to stay away.

Many Gedolim railed against the various “minhagim” associated with lag, as you are well aware.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 26, 2024, 01:39:39 AM »
There is a different school of thought which you aren’t accounting for. While assuming that the dancing around the fire didn’t originate in the fashion of the various עע״ז, nonetheless it’s too similar to it condone as something worthwhile. Better to stay away.

Many Gedolim railed against the various “minhagim” associated with lag, as you are well aware.

I somewhat agreed to your sentiment in my post but hinting to A"Z as a possible root for this was an overkill. The חתם סופר who was unhappy with the new yom tov or the שואל ומשיב who was against the minhag of burning valuable stuff did not mention a thing about the etzem הדלקות as possibly being חוקת הגוי דרכי אמורי or anything of the sort.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 26, 2024, 01:41:08 AM »
I somewhat agreed to your sentiment in my post but hinting to A"Z as a possible root was an overkill. The חתם סופר who was unhappy with the new yom tov or the שואל ומשיב who was against the minhag of burning valuable stuff did not mention a thing about the etzem fire possibly being חוקת הגוי דרכי אמורי or anything of the sort.
Because they weren’t dancing around bonfires yet

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 26, 2024, 01:42:11 AM »
Because they weren’t dancing around bonfires yet

In Meron they did.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 26, 2024, 01:45:11 AM »
In Meron they did.
No, they lit fires in the area for illumination and kavod purposes. This dancing around the bonfire business came later.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 26, 2024, 01:49:24 AM »

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 26, 2024, 01:51:26 AM »
No, they lit fires in the area for illumination and kavod purposes. This dancing around the bonfire business came later.

They had fires and they had dancing. Was it "around" the fire? IDK. Even today dancing around the fire is not necessarily בכוונה, rather for practical reasons or it's more interesting that way. The fire I took my kids to today actually had the dancing circle on the side of the fire.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 26, 2024, 01:54:29 AM »
They had fires and they had dancing.
They had fires for illumination. Not as some mystical עבודה that it has metamorphosed into which is more similar to problematic practices.

Offline mevinyavin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #252 on: May 26, 2024, 03:20:32 AM »
The fire I took my kids to today actually had the dancing circle on the side of the fire.
+1
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Torah Jew

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 26, 2024, 11:21:22 AM »

How much later? This dates it to at least 1843 and indicates that it was the custom.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 11:30:04 AM by Torah Jew »

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 26, 2024, 08:30:40 PM »
How much later? This dates it to at least 1843 and indicates that it was the custom.
The maamer I attached above traces it to roughly that time period. That was definitely not the dagesh at that point in time though, and no inference can be made from that that the Gedolim lambasting the main activity at that point - burning clothing, “approved” of it.

Offline DaasTora

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: May 26, 2024, 11:28:54 PM »
The fire I took my kids to today
A friend asked me today where I took my kids last night. I told him they were sleeping, my father didn’t take me as a child to any fire (there wasn’t really where to) so I don’t take my kids. Regarding the minhag, there’s this comment circulating “if you want to have a fire because it’s nice, go ahead and enjoy. But why the closed eyes and hisorerus on something our parents didn’t do?!”
“Never underestimate the power of…stupidity”
- Robert Heinlein

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #256 on: May 26, 2024, 11:32:40 PM »
A friend asked me today where I took my kids last night. I told him they were sleeping, my father didn’t take me as a child to any fire (there wasn’t really where to) so I don’t take my kids. Regarding the minhag, there’s this comment circulating “if you want to have a fire because it’s nice, go ahead and enjoy. But why the closed eyes and hisorerus on something our parents didn’t do?!”
Once you are there why not get the hisorerus too?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 26, 2024, 11:38:24 PM »

I can have all my ideologies I want but non of this matters when there are fires at every second corner nowadays and I'm not going to deprive my children of attending and enjoying because of it, since there's nothing inherently wrong with it at all.

Also true. As long it's not anyone else there working to make you emotional, then it becomes cringeworthy.

Offline DaasTora

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 26, 2024, 11:40:30 PM »
Hisorerus of what?
P.s. I don’t really want to get stuck in an argument what hisorerus is all about. Real vs illusionary etc.
I can have all my ideologies I want but non of this matters when there are fires at every second corner nowadays and I'm not going to deprive my children of attending and enjoying because of it, since there's nothing inherently wrong with it at all.
Agree. It just happened to be Motzs”h and the kids were tired so it actually worked out without them feeling deprived.
“Never underestimate the power of…stupidity”
- Robert Heinlein

Online jye

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 27, 2024, 02:07:28 AM »

https://rebgershonribner.com/lag-baomer-celebrations-are-yeshivaliet-being-swept-in-by-the-chasidim