Topic Wiki

• Please post the mekor (source) for the Halacha cited.
  • Please try to limit discussion of the mentioned halachos. This can be done in another thread. Unless you have a limud z’chus - in that case please cite the source.
@AsherO

I would like a list of potential pitfalls. This is not the Shulchan Aruch here, but to raise awareness, so people will know to look into it, or ask their rabbi.
« Last edited by SuperFlyer on May 16, 2024, 06:55:37 AM »

Author Topic: Non-Obvious Halachic Points that might be Very Relevant (please do not clutter)  (Read 15999 times)

Offline Gvann

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Pesach
Battery operated candles definitely have their place in hospitals etc. but without a bracha

Because this comes out of it and its just false and someone will do the wrong thing because of it. You can post sources all you want one way or another but for everyone on here to argue as if they are a rav and paskining is just inappropriate

And its dumb for everyone to argue which way they think when at the end of the day each person clearly has to ask a rav because there are so many opinions each way

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Because this comes out of it and its just false and someone will do the wrong thing because of it. You can post sources all you want one way or another but for everyone on here to argue as if they are a rav and paskining is just inappropriate
Maybe some are? Everyone is invited to use some sechel too
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
Maybe some are? Everyone is invited to use some sechel too

I would hope no one is paskining a general shaila on the internet for everyone to follow.

That’s like saying I can go to mcdonalds because someone else seeing me will obviously know that im eating nonkosher and wont follow me in… (not saying that not making the bracha is like eating treif but just the idea of posting a psak as definite when it clearly is not is going to have the same repercussions when maybe their rav would have told them to make the bracha)

Online aygart

• View Profile
I would hope no one is paskining a general shaila on the internet for everyone to follow.

That’s like saying I can go to mcdonalds because someone else seeing me will obviously know that im eating nonkosher and wont follow me in… (not saying that not making the bracha is like eating treif but just the idea of posting a psak as definite when it clearly is not is going to have the same repercussions when maybe their rav would have told them to make the bracha)
If it's obvious that it shouldn't be a pay for everyone to follow them what is the big deal with posting it?

Offline imayid2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Why?

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
If it's obvious that it shouldn't be a pay for everyone to follow them what is the big deal with posting it?

you're the one who said its obvious im saying even if it would seem obvious to you it does not mean that someone else would think the same way.

Online avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
you're the one who said its obvious im saying even if it would seem obvious to you it does not mean that someone else would think the same way.
Why are you picking on internet posts when you can pick on the papers dumped in all the shuls instead?
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
like i said for anyone to post a source (which is a rule on this thread btw) is great, creates topic for debate and can be confirmed or rebuttled with other sources, but to just "paskin" is not ok, it really should not be that hard to see why that could lead to very big issues

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
Why are you picking on internet posts when you can pick on the papers dumped in all the shuls instead?

you should then be asking that to anyone who challenges anyone on this entire forum ever? is that not the point of a forum?

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
but to just "paskin" is not ok, it really should not be that hard to see why that could lead to very big issues

What major issues can it lead to?

Online HudZ

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Torah
I don't really understand this whole argument.

What's wrong with discussing Halacha? If anything, it's great that it's debated. No-one is telling you how to hold.
The object of this thread, in my eyes at least, is to arouse others of important Halachos that may not be well known, and it's your job to get a final conclusion. There should be no reason it can't be debated.
If someone comes onto an online forum and takes everything he reads as fact, from strangers nonetheless. That's on him.
אין עוד מלבדו

Online aygart

• View Profile

What's wrong with discussing Halacha? If anything, it's great that it's debated. No-one is telling you how to hold.
The object of this thread, in my eyes at least, is to arouse others of important Halachos that may not be well known, and it's your job to get a final conclusion. There should be no reason it can't be debated.
If someone comes onto an online forum and takes everything he reads as fact, from strangers nonetheless. That's on him.
Besides that there are a number of people here such as myself who it is known by many who they are.

Offline Gvann

• View Profile

That is exactly what i have said this whole time… except that “no one is telling you how to hold” is not true

Battery operated candles definitely have their place in hospitals etc. but without a bracha

Online aygart

• View Profile
That is exactly what i have said this whole time… except that “no one is telling you how to hold” is not true
You are taking that post way too seriously.

Online HudZ

• View Profile
Besides that there are a number of people here such as myself who it is known by many who they are.
I wasn't referring to you. For those who are known, Kol Hakavod.
אין עוד מלבדו

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Discussing halacha is informative and fun, but some people are way too quick to post statements and pskei dinim, as opposed to svaros and named shitos.

Eg, writing a svarah to make or not make a bracha on LEDs is informative. Writing what your rav told you or what a certain rav says in his shut may be interesting.

Blithely writing that one way or the other is the halachic fact, is not helpful.

Online HudZ

• View Profile
except that “no one is telling you how to hold” is not true
Why?
אין עוד מלבדו

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
Discussing halacha is informative and fun, but some people are way too quick to post statements and pskei dinim, as opposed to svaros and named shitos.

Eg, writing a svarah to make or not make a bracha on LEDs is informative. Writing what your rav told you or what a certain rav says in his shut may be interesting.

Blithely writing that one way or the other is the halachic fact, is not helpful.
There are going to be many statements that are “not helpful” on an online forum. That doesn’t make them catastrophic and inappropriate.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
Also, it can helpfully incite others to post the opposite views, which adds more fun :)

Online EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Also, it can helpfully incite others to post the opposite views, which adds more fun :)

#somone-is-wrong-on-the-internet