Topic Wiki

• Please post the mekor (source) for the Halacha cited.
  • Please try to limit discussion of the mentioned halachos. This can be done in another thread. Unless you have a limud z’chus - in that case please cite the source.
@AsherO

I would like a list of potential pitfalls. This is not the Shulchan Aruch here, but to raise awareness, so people will know to look into it, or ask their rabbi.
« Last edited by SuperFlyer on May 16, 2024, 06:55:37 AM »

Author Topic: Non-Obvious Halachic Points that might be Very Relevant (please do not clutter)  (Read 18027 times)

Offline Torah Jew

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
According to those who hold the whole Sefira, if you shave/get a haircut on Erev Shabbos, you may not be able to shave/get a haircut on Lag BaOmer.
Ask your LOR.

Actually some poskim discuss whether if you didn’t take a haircut on Friday would you still be allowed to on Sunday. According to what you are saying if someone shaves for his son’s bris he can’t shave anymore on Lag B’omer. Incorrect.

Offline Moshe Green

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Actually some poskim discuss whether if you didn’t take a haircut on Friday would you still be allowed to on Sunday. According to what you are saying if someone shaves for his son’s bris he can’t shave anymore on Lag B’omer. Incorrect.
I had the same question.

I wanted to be Mechaleik that when its the Bris, its a Heter from an external source. The erev Shabbos shave is because the day is Mutar.

But again ask your LOR.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
Actually some poskim discuss whether if you didn’t take a haircut on Friday would you still be allowed to on Sunday.
I don’t believe this is correct. There is no reason why you would not be allowed on Sunday for missing Friday. In fact some achronim disagree with the heter of Friday.

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Apparently what people say that music without instruments, i.e. acapella is allowed during the Sfira, according to a rabbi I spoke to, has no basis.
I'd like to hear if it's true.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Torah Jew

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
I don’t believe this is correct. There is no reason why you would not be allowed on Sunday for missing Friday. In fact some achronim disagree with the heter of Friday.

I didn’t say it wasn’t allowed. I said this case is actually discussed by some poskim as opposed to the psak from Moshe Green above that if you do on Friday you can’t on Sunday. That case was never a shaila at all.
One of the reasons why Friday is permitted is because it’s a zilzul to Shabbos if you shave on Sunday but not on Friday l’kavod Shabbos. See below from R’ Shlomo Kluger. Hence it could be argued that you would not be allowed to on Sunday because of the zilzul. In fact the reason the רבבות אפרים ח״א סי׳ שלח permits it on Sunday if you didn’t on Friday is because since there are those that forbid haircuts this Friday (מהרי״ל) therefore it’s not considered a zilzul.
Don’t be so quick to say matter of factly “there is no reason”. Rather say “I don’t know of any reason”.

Edited: I now see quoted from the Sefer הליכות אבן ישראל that if you hold second half you cannot take a haircut neither on Friday nor on Sunday. וצ”ע.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 03:34:40 PM by Torah Jew »

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
I didn’t say it wasn’t allowed. I said this case is actually discussed by some poskim as opposed to the psak from Moshe Green above that if you do on Friday you can’t on Sunday. That case was never a shaila at all.
One of the reasons why Friday is permitted is because it’s a zilzul to Shabbos if you shave on Sunday but not on Friday l’kavod Shabbos. See below from R’ Shlomo Kluger. Hence it could be argued that you would not be allowed to on Sunday because of the zilzul. In fact the reason the רבבות אפרים ח״א סי׳ שלח permits it on Sunday if you didn’t on Friday is because since there are those that forbid haircuts this Friday (מהרי״ל) therefore it’s not considered a zilzul.
Don’t be so quick to say matter of factly “there is no reason”. Rather say “I don’t know of any reason”.
There is no Halachik basis to claim that it isn’t permitted, and therefore no one says so. It cannot be argued that it isn’t permitted because of the zilzul, as that is the basis for the Halacha in general, one cannot invent a new issur קנס because of that.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
Edited: I now see quoted from the Sefer הליכות אבן ישראל that if you hold second half you cannot take a haircut neither on Friday nor on Sunday. וצ”ע.
This is discussed by the achronim, see אליה זוטא

Offline Torah Jew

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
This is discussed by the achronim, see אליה זוטא

Sunday also?

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
Sunday also?
No, that doesn’t make much sense

Offline Torah Jew

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
No, that doesn’t make much sense

If anyone has a copy of the sefer above (הליכות אבן ישראל) can you please post. Thank you

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
If anyone has a copy of the sefer above (הליכות אבן ישראל) can you please post. Thank you
He says you can’t because you lost a day on Friday.

Essentially this
According to those who hold the whole Sefira, if you shave/get a haircut on Erev Shabbos, you may not be able to shave/get a haircut on Lag BaOmer.
Ask your LOR.
For anyone who holds second half.

The סתימת אחרונים is clearly otherwise. Either because מקצת היום ככולו of Friday or because Friday isn’t a free pass and other עניני אבילות apply.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Torah Jew

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
He says you can’t because you lost a day on Friday.

Essentially thisFor anyone who holds second half.

The סתימת אחרונים is clearly otherwise. Either because מקצת היום ככולו of Friday or because Friday isn’t a free pass and other עניני אבילות apply.

It was quoted that he says if you hold 2nd half you cannot take a haircut at all. Not on Friday nor on Sunday. What was the reasoning? I see the sefer is on otzar hachochma. (I only have access to the free version). If you have it can you please post a screenshot. Thanks!

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
It was quoted that he says if you hold 2nd half you cannot take a haircut at all. Not on Friday nor on Sunday. What was the reasoning? I see the sefer is on otzar hachochma. If you have it can you please post a screenshot. Thanks!
Misquote.

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Misquote.

I don't understand the reason he gives to be mechalek between if the aveilus is ending or not.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
I don't understand the reason he gives to be mechalek between if the aveilus is ending or not.
The source for this whole heter is from a case in הלכות אבילות where we allow an Avel to shower on Friday if day 30 is on Shabbos. This may have to do with cutting it short, and is dissimilar to a case where it's smack in middle of the Aveilus.

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile

Offline Torah Jew

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile

Thank you. As mentioned above this is a very difficult psak. I wonder if he even meant this l’halacha. It was from a ksav yad which seems like was from the side of his shulchan aruch.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
Thank you. As mentioned above this is a very difficult psak. I wonder if he even meant this l’halacha. It was from a ksav yad which seems like was from the side of his shulchan aruch.
+1

It’s out of hand the way these types of haaros are portrayed as reflecting a real psak which for all we know he never meant to be מכריע להלכה.

Reminds me of a similar type sefer from a different Gadol about which a Talmid Chacham who knew him well told me:
“sometimes late at night when I’m very tired I write things down and later realize it was a mistake so I put it in sheiomos. This Gadol did too, but his grandchildren went through his shiemos and printed everything…”

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
I don't see how this is such a hard Psak.

There are different ways of understanding Sefiras HaOmer and therefore there are different Minhagim that come out of these different understandings.

1) The Talmidim died until 33 or 34. That being so, one must wait to get a haircut/shave until Lag BaOmer by day or (Sefardim) 34 by day.

2) The Talmidim died 33 days, from Pesach until Shavuos. That being so, one must keep 33 days of Aveilus and one can be Miktzas HaYom KiKulo. Some therefore keep from Pesach til Lag BaOmer and some keep from Rosh Chodesh til Shavuos (but one can't burn the candle at both ends - R"CH til Lag B"O).

According to R' YYF, if one is getting a haircut/shave on Erev Shabbos, he has already used his MH"K up and therefore when Lag B"O comes he must wait until the day ends to get his full 33 days. It's not the biggest Chiddush and very understandable.