Topic Wiki

• Please post the mekor (source) for the Halacha cited.
  • Please try to limit discussion of the mentioned halachos. This can be done in another thread. Unless you have a limud z’chus - in that case please cite the source.
@AsherO

I would like a list of potential pitfalls. This is not the Shulchan Aruch here, but to raise awareness, so people will know to look into it, or ask their rabbi.
« Last edited by SuperFlyer on May 16, 2024, 06:55:37 AM »

Author Topic: Non-Obvious Halachic Points that might be Very Relevant (please do not clutter)  (Read 18031 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
I'm talking about before it was completed (still shows pending on your cc bill)
Why does that make a difference? That is all processing times and out of the buyer's hands.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
There are 2 separate issues:

1) Is there some sort of transaction between 2 people that constitutes a loan.2) How much above the "principle" can be charged?

If there is no loan, then the vendor can charge whatever he wants for credit card purchases.
If there is a loan, the vendor has to be very careful how much he charges and can't pick an arbitrary percentage.

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
Why does that make a difference? That is all processing times and out of the buyer's hands.
Why is that relevant?

Offline aygart

• View Profile
Why is that relevant?
He completed his transaction with the seller.

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
I appreciate the discussion, but I feel that we've reached a point where the debate is becoming unproductive, with both sides digging in. During the week of netzach I am working on my akshanus. With that in mind, I respectfully bow out of this conversation. Thank you for understanding.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Shaving this Friday?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Moshe Green

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Shaving this Friday?
wrong thread.
belongs in the "Obvious Halachic Points that might be Very Relevant (please do not clutter)" thread.
Unless your Lubavitch.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Shaving this Friday?
Yes, unless you're sfardi.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
I appreciate the discussion, but I feel that we've reached a point where the debate is becoming unproductive, with both sides digging in. During the week of netzach I am working on my akshanus. With that in mind, I respectfully bow out of this conversation. Thank you for understanding.

As I wrote previously, I am not compelling anyone to go with what I wrote. It is what I came out when learning the sugya and in discussion with  local poskim.

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
לולא דמסתפינא
Sounds like the word credit is throwing it off here...

Offline chessman1

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
As I wrote previously, I am not compelling anyone to go with what I wrote. It is what I came out when learning the sugya and in discussion with  local poskim.

Any difference between an online transaction where the card is approved immediately vs. the older type of transaction where the charge is not approved until sometime later?

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
Apparently what people say that music without instruments, i.e. acapella is allowed during the Sfira, according to a rabbi I spoke to, has no basis.
I'd like to hear if it's true.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
Apparently what people say that music without instruments, i.e. acapella is allowed during the Sfira, according to a rabbi I spoke to, has no basis.
Discussed at length here:
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=126454.msg2609887#msg2609887
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=27758.0

Offline mevinyavin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
[In case this adds to the discussion referenced]
IIRC - The Mishna Berura does not assur music during sefira. This is because he assurs music all year because we don't have the Beis Hamikdash. The minhag is to be meikil but we are machmir during times of aveilus. According to Rabbi Stilerman, some say that it is a chumrah atu dancing. If this is true, any fast-moving acapella does not get around the problem, lechora.
I saw Rav Belsky Zatzal wrote a kol korei on the subject. His two main complaints were: 1. That distorting the voices or sounds should be halachically the same as an instrument. 2. Recording a voice in different keys and then "playing it" like a keyboard in a way that a human voice cannot manage should be halachically considered an instrument. He noted that this says nothing about the hashkafic issues (which, granted, do not apply to all acapella - for that matter, some acapella lacks this instrumentation he complains about).

Shuv matzasi - this and more: https://matzav.com/p%E2%80%99sak-from-rav-yisroel-belsky-and-rav-shlomo-miller-on-acappella-music-during-sefirah-2/

Full disclosure: I very much enjoy acapella music. I just don't listen to it during sefira or the three weeks.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
[In case this adds to the discussion referenced]
IIRC - The Mishna Berura does not assur music during sefira. This is because he assurs music all year because we don't have the Beis Hamikdash. The minhag is to be meikil but we are machmir during times of aveilus. According to Rabbi Stilerman, some say that it is a chumrah atu dancing. If this is true, any fast-moving acapella does not get around the problem, lechora.
I saw Rav Belsky Zatzal wrote a kol korei on the subject. His two main complaints were: 1. That distorting the voices or sounds should be halachically the same as an instrument. 2. Recording a voice in different keys and then "playing it" like a keyboard in a way that a human voice cannot manage should be halachically considered an instrument. He noted that this says nothing about the hashkafic issues (which, granted, do not apply to all acapella - for that matter, some acapella lacks this instrumentation he complains about).

Shuv matzasi - this and more: https://matzav.com/p%E2%80%99sak-from-rav-yisroel-belsky-and-rav-shlomo-miller-on-acappella-music-during-sefirah-2/

Full disclosure: I very much enjoy acapella music. I just don't listen to it during sefira or the three weeks.
Thanks a lot!
I was also told that there is a difference between Sefira and 3 weeks on this issue.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
Thanks a lot!
I was also told that there is a difference between Sefira and 3 weeks on this issue.
Now that I never heard, but doesn't mean it isn't true. Perhaps there are less heterim given.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
According to those who hold the whole Sefira, if you shave/get a haircut on Erev Shabbos, you may not be able to shave/get a haircut on Lag BaOmer.
Ask your LOR.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
According to those who hold the whole Sefira, if you shave/get a haircut on Erev Shabbos, you may not be able to shave/get a haircut on Lag BaOmer.
Ask your LOR.
??
Do people who do full sferira get haircuts on Lag? If yes why would that make a difference?

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
??
Do people who do full sferira get haircuts on Lag? If yes why would that make a difference?
I believe they do.I stand corrected. Some do.
Full Sefira is 33 days. So if you take off Pesach, Shabbos, 3 Y"G, or something like that, you get 33.
I don't know if this is the way we Paskin so i wrote ask your LOR.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 10:23:43 AM by Moshe Green »

Offline HudZ

• View Profile
  • Programs: Torah
I believe they do.
Full Sefira is 33 days. So if you take off Pesach, Shabbos, 3 Y"G, or something like that, you get 33.
I don't know if this is the way we Paskin so i wrote ask your LOR.
Many who hold full Sefira don't take haircut even on Lag based on Arizal. (Kabalah)
אין עוד מלבדו