Author Topic: Dan in the news :)  (Read 95811 times)

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: Dan in the news :)
« Reply #280 on: May 25, 2022, 10:34:47 PM »
I don't get the BIG disappointment in photoshopping / enhancing the images. Yes they do it so it should look better for them, and it would be nice if they approved it before. But I can understand that they don't want backlash with someone in their mag wearing shorts etc. In essence, it does not reduce nor put Dan in a negative way, and nobody besides Dan and family would know about those minor edits.

After all the article is written well and is full of knowledge. Most people just skim through the articles and don't analyze the images...

Now, if they said they will credit a photographer and didn't that is wrong.
Neh, The Ami is 10 steps ahead and more entertaining - IMO
I think it's a nice article too.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline VacationLover

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 25, 2022, 10:36:59 PM »
A lot of your recent posts make sense now...
So you LIKE only the Mishpacha?  :P

ETA: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2587027#msg2587027
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 10:41:50 PM by VacationLover »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #282 on: May 25, 2022, 10:43:12 PM »
I don't get the BIG disappointment in photoshopping / enhancing the images. Yes they do it so it should look better for them, and it would be nice if they approved it before. But I can understand that they don't want backlash with someone in their mag wearing shorts etc. In essence, it does not reduce nor put Dan in a negative way, and nobody besides Dan and family would know about those minor edits.

After all the article is written well and is full of knowledge. Most people just skim through the articles and don't analyze the images...

Like I said, had things been disclosed as they were stipulated it would be another story. That's especially true as JJ and I put 20 hours into editing what we were told was the final draft.

You don't like that my favorite mileage redemption was for the World Series? So tell me that and I'd decide if the question should be deleted as we did with other questions.

Same goes for Mendel's and all the photoshop.

But skipping the photographer credit when she was asked to dig up other pictures from that photoshoot was not cool and I understand why she's unhappy.

But yes, from a macro perspective these are not major issues.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 10:46:55 PM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline VacationLover

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 25, 2022, 10:51:08 PM »
Like I said, had things been disclosed as they were stipulated it would be another story. That's especially true as JJ and I put 20 hours into editing what we were told was the final draft.

You don't like that my favorite mileage redemption was for the World Series? So tell me that and I'd decide if the question should be deleted as we did with other questions.

Same goes for Mendel's and all the photoshop.

But deleted the photographer credit when she was asked to dig up other pictures from that photoshoot was not cool and I understand why she's unhappy.
Agreed. Thanks @Dan and @jj1000 for taking the time for this article, and the LH fiasco in general.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #284 on: May 25, 2022, 10:54:18 PM »
Dan your first mistake was editing anything in the first place. I learnt very early in the Antarctica process that I can't fix bad writing - I would check an arrival for factual problems and that was that (not that they listed half the time, but ya).

By editing the text directly you give it your voice, which is not a good thing if the article isn't as perfect as you'd like. Plus you get invested in it and upset when they didn't publish your edits.

My policy was (and still is) if it has someone else's name listed as the author, I don't care how poorly it's written - just so the facts are accurate.

When write for magazines under my own name, I insist (and actually get) full veto rights for anything in the final draft.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: May 25, 2022, 11:07:25 PM »
Dan your first mistake was editing anything in the first place. I learnt very early in the Antarctica process that I can't fix bad writing - I would check an arrival for factual problems and that was that (not that they listed half the time, but ya).

By editing the text directly you give it your voice, which is not a good thing if the article isn't as perfect as you'd like. Plus you get invested in it and upset when they didn't publish your edits.

My policy was (and still is) if it has someone else's name listed as the author, I don't care how poorly it's written - just so the facts are accurate.

When write for magazines under my own name, I insist (and actually get) full veto rights for anything in the final draft.
NEWS
By Something Fishy

A piece of news happened today that i would like to share with the readers of the greatest magizine ever: AMI MAGAZINE! A orthodox jew was flying to iceland (yes, the country that TRUMP bought) (lets go brandson!) and a non jew saw and it was a tremendous kiddush HAshem! And this was an AMI EXCLUSIVE STORY that was transcribed from a two hour phone call with no added context or punctuation and reads really monotonous and boring but we will keep it inside anyways because we have to fill up the magizine and if we write the phone conversation word for word it will take up about 17 pages and it will look fatter than the mishpachtah magazine and we will also mention that a jew on the flight was divorced so that we could put a splashy blurb on the front cover that reads DIVORSE IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD so that people will buy the magazine expecting a whole writeup on that but it's really just two lines on page 74 and I should stop while I'm ahead because nobody is reading this anymore anyways and people who are (hi avrohom!) will think that I'm serious and not just being hilariously funny (not being a baal gaavah but i did once write a skit in camp) (hi avrohom again!) so I'll end the article and put that silly logo for the end of the article which is basically just the initial of the publication in a black box. [D]

Offline VacationLover

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 25, 2022, 11:15:45 PM »
@YitzyS you are talking about the Ami of 15 years ago when they were desperate to fill the mag and draw customers.  That is also the time when the Mishpacha used to be interesting IMO.

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #287 on: May 26, 2022, 12:21:55 AM »

Then either don't use the photos or ask permission. As stated above, it's extremely rude and insulting to the subject, and they're slapping him on the cover to sell issues.

Posting photos without crediting the source is theft. These are not minor things, even one of these missteps would get a real journalist fired. Yet they do it routinely and without consequence because their readership doesn't give a darn.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #288 on: May 26, 2022, 12:25:55 AM »

I used to think the writer had full editorial control aside from the headline. I have learned that that is not always the case with big papers such as the NYT, where the editors will sometimes veto the writer.

Offline JMHO

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 26, 2022, 01:05:14 AM »
But skipping the photographer credit when she was asked to dig up other pictures from that photoshoot was not cool and I understand why she's unhappy.
Let's give the photographer due credit here- who is she and how can one reach her?

Offline zh cohen

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 26, 2022, 07:46:16 AM »
@YitzyS you are talking about the Ami of 15 years ago when they were desperate to fill the mag and draw customers. 

Interesting way of trying to draw customers...

Ever since Frankfurter vouched for Lev Tahor I rarely open it, but when I tried over Pesach it gave me a headache.

It is about as well edited and designed as a school newsletter...

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #291 on: May 26, 2022, 08:05:50 AM »

Ever since Frankfurter vouched for Lev Tahor

Wait, what?

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 26, 2022, 08:27:12 AM »
Wait, what?
You didn't see that glowing interview with (IIRC) Helbranz ?

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #293 on: May 26, 2022, 08:29:40 AM »
I don't know the last time I read an Ami, it's many years back, and even then it was maybe one of two articles

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #294 on: May 26, 2022, 08:29:43 AM »
You didn't see that glowing interview with (IIRC) Helbranz ?
Link?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 26, 2022, 08:30:47 AM »
I don't know the last time I read an Ami, it's many years back, and even then it was maybe one of two articles
I think it was in 2014

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 26, 2022, 08:33:00 AM »
They were shocked I didn't read any of the Jewish media. The final edit said I read the WSJ and NYT daily to take in different viewpoints, but that was too sensitive to print  ;D

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 26, 2022, 08:34:04 AM »
Let's give the photographer due credit here- who is she and how can one reach her?
Ellie B Photography https://elliebphoto.com/

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 26, 2022, 08:34:56 AM »
Then either don't use the photos or ask permission. As stated above, it's extremely rude and insulting to the subject, and they're slapping him on the cover to sell issues.

Posting photos without crediting the source is theft. These are not minor things, even one of these missteps would get a real journalist fired. Yet they do it routinely and without consequence because their readership doesn't give a darn.
Can that attitude be fixed?