Author Topic: Dan in the news :)  (Read 92480 times)

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
Re: Dan in the news :)
« Reply #300 on: May 26, 2022, 09:11:16 AM »
They were shocked I didn't read any of the Jewish media. The final edit said I read the WSJ and NYT daily to take in different viewpoints, but that was too sensitive to print  ;D

All the news that's fit to print

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #301 on: May 26, 2022, 09:16:00 AM »
Can that attitude be fixed?

Education, but it will take time and people who care enough to educate. There are bigger issues with frum media, so I'm not sure that anyone is going to start a campaign about this.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #302 on: May 26, 2022, 09:16:45 AM »
If there is an online article of this, the attribution should be fixed immediately.

And I'd probably demand that there be an update/correction/retraction in the next issue to give proper attribution.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 26, 2022, 09:54:04 AM »
They were shocked I didn't read any of the Jewish media. The final edit said I read the WSJ and NYT daily to take in different viewpoints, but that was too sensitive to print  ;D
It's a serious halachic sheila if you can read them on shabbos. 90% is ads

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 26, 2022, 09:55:00 AM »
It's a serious halachic sheila if you can read them on shabbos. 90% is ads
I read the ads for pure entertainment value

Offline 1avigrun

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 26, 2022, 10:18:10 AM »

Oh baby

Offline Traveler718

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 26, 2022, 10:29:42 AM »
Can that attitude be fixed?

I honestly don't think so. This approach is an inherent part of their sensationalist business model. It's not a bug, it's a feature. And apparently, it works, and that's what makes so many prefer the Ami to the "boring" Mishpacha.

You wrote that all the Jewish media were equally bad in your mind in their coverage of our Antarctica trip. But to me, there's a fundamental and critical difference between accidentally getting a few facts and details wrong like some of the others, and intentionally and deliberately taking a drone picture that was taken by academic researchers with a legally required watermark on it, and erasing the watermark and claiming that it was taken by @Something Fishy.

As a semi-professional writer, I can't fathom the mindset that could decide that the ends of a juicier story and selling more issues could justify the means of egregiously shirking a basic journalistic responsibility to the truth. But whenever I buy one of their issues, either for YT or for a story of special interest like I did this week, page after page reminds me that what happened with the Antarctica story wasn't an exception. It's their underlying business model. And as long as it sells, nothing's going to change, and the demographic that eats it up shows no sign of dwindling.

As I said, I learned my lesson a few years back, and I made a conscious decision to move my writing (and subscription) to Mishpacha, which sends me a PDF to review for every article before it goes to print and doesn't play games with its edits and photoshopping. Fool me once, shame on you...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #307 on: May 26, 2022, 10:36:55 AM »
Shockingly, didn't make the cut ;D

Anyone that got both these references is as weird as I am :D
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #308 on: May 26, 2022, 10:38:19 AM »
I honestly don't think so. This approach is an inherent part of their sensationalist business model. It's not a bug, it's a feature. And apparently, it works, and that's what makes so many prefer the Ami to the "boring" Mishpacha.

You wrote that all the Jewish media were equally bad in your mind in their coverage of our Antarctica trip. But to me, there's a fundamental and critical difference between accidentally getting a few facts and details wrong like some of the others, and intentionally and deliberately taking a drone picture that was taken by academic researchers with a legally required watermark on it, and erasing the watermark and claiming that it was taken by @Something Fishy.

As a semi-professional writer, I can't fathom the mindset that could decide that the ends of a juicier story and selling more issues could justify the means of egregiously shirking a basic journalistic responsibility to the truth. But whenever I buy one of their issues, either for YT or for a story of special interest like I did this week, page after page reminds me that what happened with the Antarctica story wasn't an exception. It's their underlying business model. And as long as it sells, nothing's going to change, and the demographic that eats it up shows no sign of dwindling.

As I said, I learned my lesson a few years back, and I made a conscious decision to move my writing (and subscription) to Mishpacha, which sends me a PDF to review for every article before it goes to print and doesn't play games with its edits and photoshopping. Fool me once, shame on you...
I just lumped them all together as fake news, so I didn't recall who did that drone image.
But I guess now I know.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 26, 2022, 10:38:52 AM »
Suggesting to change the title to “Dan is the news”
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 26, 2022, 10:40:36 AM »
I used to think the writer had full editorial control aside from the headline. I have learned that that is not always the case with big papers such as the NYT, where the editors will sometimes veto the writer.
WaPo writer told me that she had 4 editors and legal comb over her article and they didn't let her link to DansDeals.

NYT mentioned DansDeals online, but stripped it out of the print version. I only know this because I bought it :P

Offline TimT

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 26, 2022, 10:40:56 AM »
Suggesting to change the title to “Daniel is the news”
FTFY

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #312 on: May 26, 2022, 10:42:30 AM »

Perfect:

I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 26, 2022, 11:26:08 AM »
Wait, what?

Yup. Iinm it was in 2014, while they were being investigated by child services in Canada. He went all in on claiming it was just religious persecution, and if we don't stand up to it, they will come after us next.

Mishpacha printed an article the same week called "Hearts of Darkness."

He also defended Weberman, including after his conviction...

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #314 on: May 26, 2022, 11:48:47 AM »
Yup. Iinm it was in 2014, while they were being investigated by child services in Canada. He went all in on claiming it was just religious persecution, and if we don't stand up to it, they will come after us next.

Mishpacha printed an article the same week called "Hearts of Darkness."

He also defended Weberman, including after his conviction...

Yikes

Offline TimT

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: May 26, 2022, 01:40:10 PM »
@Dan, everywhere I go I’m bumping into you. Enjoy your weeklong stay. :)

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #318 on: May 26, 2022, 03:32:20 PM »

[Googles]

The Twilight Zone and Friends are pretty popular.
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 26, 2022, 03:36:26 PM »
[Googles]

The Twilight Zone and Friends are pretty popular.
Well yes, nothing is hard to find with Google. But I daresay that the overlap between both those genres and DDF members is rather small.