Author Topic: Snow in NY Area  (Read 82174 times)

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Snow in NY Area
« Reply #420 on: February 02, 2021, 08:15:12 PM »
Makes sense.

One of the most important things when sleeping out in cold weather is always to insulate yourself from the ground. I think you lose more heat from not insulating the floor than by by not having a roof.

That's also why homeless people sleep on cardboard in the winter.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 02, 2021, 10:21:37 PM »
Hmm. Wonder if we were in quarantine then.
Was December 1st

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 02, 2021, 10:22:59 PM »
BH, my DYI sidewalk snow melt system seems to be working well. I'm glad I read up about it in advance. Seems like one of the keys to success is proper insulation underneath.
Any ideas what installation would cost for a system like this if I'd hire someone to do it? Thinking of replacing my front steps anyway....

Offline MeirS

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: February 02, 2021, 10:29:36 PM »
BH, my DYI sidewalk snow melt system seems to be working well. I'm glad I read up about it in advance. Seems like one of the keys to success is proper insulation underneath.
I was there this evening. You should know that all those pedestrians who don't thank you in person are very grateful to you.

Especially considering that a big chunk of homeowners on your block opted to shovel a 12"-24" space for pedestrians to pigeon walk through.

You're neighbor from 2 houses over looks like he did his walkways as well.
The guy just before the end of the block couldn't get it to go till the curb as well as you did though.
Don't get me started with the big building on the other end. Do they not know what a shovel is? It was terrible there tonight.

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #424 on: February 02, 2021, 10:37:51 PM »
I was there this evening. You should know that all those pedestrians who don't thank you in person are very grateful to you.
Myself being one of them. Though I am grateful to my DW for prodding me to do it.

Especially considering that a big chunk of homeowners on your block opted to shovel a 12"-24" space for pedestrians to pigeon walk through.
It's really worst when pushing a baby carriage.

Don't get me started with the big building on the other end. Do they not know what a shovel is? It was terrible there tonight.
Does it have anything to do with recent personnel shuffle there?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #425 on: February 02, 2021, 10:48:45 PM »
Was December 1st
Yup, Rafi had COVID then.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #426 on: February 02, 2021, 11:28:00 PM »
@ExGingi How much would you say the whole thing cost you, all in?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #427 on: February 03, 2021, 12:49:30 AM »

It's really worst when pushing a baby carriage.

This, corners especially. It might be a week or more until strollers can make it around CH easily.

I've often thought that if I would have the means, a massive communal charity would be to have every corner cleared immidiately after a storm.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 03, 2021, 06:39:10 AM »
This, corners especially. It might be a week or more until strollers can make it around CH easily.

I've often thought that if I would have the means, a massive communal charity would be to have every corner cleared immidiately after a storm.

A lot of the snow at corners is accumulated from street plowing and sidewalk clearing.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 03, 2021, 08:41:06 AM »
A lot of the snow at corners is accumulated from street plowing and sidewalk clearing.

The piles that are made in parking lots are truly a sight to see. The bigger the lot, the higher and bigger the pile.
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #430 on: February 03, 2021, 08:57:53 AM »

I'm aware. There are those clearing sidewalks who think of pedestrians and don't use the corners to make mountains of snow. And then there are those who do create mountains, which become knee deep puddles of slush with who knows what kind of untold treasures hidden inside

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #431 on: February 03, 2021, 11:36:25 AM »

I can't tell you, as I didn't necessarily track all expenses as they were incurred. I will give you a breakdown of approximate expenses and supplies which you can price yourself.

On a 20' x 11' sidewalk I used:
  • 1 TSMC220-240 - NeverFreeze 240V Snow Melt Cable - 220'   $340.68
  • 1 TSMC370-240 - NeverFreeze 240V Snow Melt Cable - 370' $531.55
  • 8-12 10' rebars (about $8.50 each at Home Depot)
  • About 20 stakes or 1' rebars
  • 7 foam insulation boards (I think I actually bought those in Lowes which carries the DOW brand that is light blue, HomeDepot carries Corning which is pink)
  • 20-30 concrete bricks which I split in half and used to support the wire mesh (which was provided by the contractor doing the concrete pour
  • Zip ties
  • Electric hookup is roughly $750 (I did part on my own and part was done by an electrician)
I can't remember what I was charged for the concrete (excavate existing sidewalk to 7"-8" depth, removing debris, and pouring new concrete including wire mesh) but IINM it was around $2,500

I hope I'm not forgetting anything.

I bought some tools along the way, as needed.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 12:26:46 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 03, 2021, 12:24:26 PM »
I can't tell you, as I didn't necessarily track all expenses as they were incurred. I will give you a breakdown of approximate expenses and supplies which you can price yourself.

• 8 10' rebars (about $8.50 each at Home Depot)
  • 7 foam insulation boards (I think I actually bought those in Lowes which carries the DOW brand that is light blue, HomeDepot carries Corning which is pink)
  • 20-30 concrete bricks which I split in half and used to support the wire mesh (which was provided by the contractor doing the concrete pour
  • Electric hookup is roughly $750 (I did part on my own and part was done by an electrician)
I can't remember what I was charged for the concrete (excavate existing sidewalk to 7"-8" depth, removing debris, and pouring new concrete including wire mesh) but IINM it was around $2,500

Nice breakdown. So even partially DIY, we're talking $20/sqft. I'm sure a larger project would have some efficiencies, but I doubt a contractor job start to finish could be any less than that.

Somewhere in the middle of HomeAdvisor's range:
Quote from: https://www.homeadvisor.com/cost/garages/heated-driveway/
Heated Walkway Cost
The price of a heated walkway typically costs from $12 to $32 per square foot. Costs depend on the type of system you use, as well as if you opt for asphalt or concrete.

Installing a concrete walkway costs $6 to $12 per square foot, plus another $6 to $20 per square foot for heating. The cost to install asphalt for a walkway runs from $28 and $52 per linear foot (also not including heating).

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #433 on: February 03, 2021, 04:02:27 PM »

• 8-12 10' rebars (about $8.50 each at Home Depot)
  • About 20 stakes or 1' rebars
  • Zip ties

Very clear, thank you
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 03, 2021, 04:10:28 PM »

In (partial) defense of those homeowners: unless you are like me and have a fire hydrant next to your house (though it seems like no parking at fire hydrants has been canceled), it's simply close to impossible to shovel the snow off the sidewalk with cars parked there. The other alternative is to shovel it onto the front yards (which are mostly elevated) not an easy task. I used to be very meticulous about properly shoveling my sidewalk. When that became more difficult for me (אם אין אני לי, מי לי), I started to consider a snow melt system.

Luckily it's above freezing today and some significant melting is occuring.
-- Dan

Offline lcm

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: February 04, 2021, 07:51:41 PM »

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 05, 2021, 11:34:25 AM »

-- Dan

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 09, 2021, 07:22:47 AM »
Nice breakdown. So even partially DIY, we're talking $20/sqft. I'm sure a larger project would have some efficiencies, but I doubt a contractor job start to finish could be any less than that.

Somewhere in the middle of HomeAdvisor's range:
When you build a new house its worth it, take out the 2500 how much would it be per square foot?
["-"]

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 09, 2021, 07:58:34 AM »
When you build a new house its worth it, take out the 2500 how much would it be per square foot?

I estimate @ExGingi’s solution cost him $9-11/sqft not counting the concrete, but ymmv e.g. because of fixed costs (e.g. electrician) which might cost you more/less.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 09:51:23 AM by AsherO »
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 09, 2021, 08:24:07 AM »
I estimate @ExGingi’s solution cost him $1.80-2.25/sqft not counting the concrete, but ymmv e.g. because of fixed costs (e.g. electrician) which might cost you more/less.

Check your math. Just the NeverFreeze cables were more than that.
-- Dan