Author Topic: Energy Plus Master Thread  (Read 43153 times)

Offline Shreknit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
-1.  Again, with their variable re rate they promise you to be a % lower than Con Ed.  What I and countless others here have experienced, is that's it's a lie, total BS.  They wind up being more expensive than Con Ed.

Now, this was written dozens of times already... You Ambit defenders just seem to never get it (or you're making so much gelt off other people losing their pants, that you're in denial?!)
+1

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
-1.  Again, with their variable re rate they promise you to be a % lower than Con Ed.  What I and countless others here have experienced, is that's it's a lie, total BS.  They wind up being more expensive than Con Ed.

Now, this was written dozens of times already... You Ambit defenders just seem to never get it (or you're making so much gelt off other people losing their pants, that you're in denial?!)
You and others think so. It may be true, it may be not true. There are many others on Ambit that are happy in NY as well. I know a number of people in NY that got checks in the end of 12 months not only to make up the difference if they were higher than coned, but also to make sure that they were indeed 1% cheaper.

But regardless you Ambit bashers have one thing in mind, to bash Ambit. Im not here to defend Ambit at the moment. I am in agreement, that Ambit in NY, can sometimes be higher and therefore convince you that they are higher. But you will have to agree as well that there are months that they are also lower. But that's all because its a VARIABLE rate in NEW YORK, so nothing is clear and you would to need to have 12 physical Ambit bills vs 12 physical Coned bills from the same neighberhood or block with the EXACT billing cycle to make an exact cheshbon to see who was higher.

I myself would be hesitant to sign up with a variable rate!

MY POINT IS THAT IF YOU GET A "FIXED" RATE FROM ANY OF THESE COMPANIES AND YOU LIKE IT, YOU HAVE NOTHING TO BE AFRAID OF SINCE ITS "FIXED"!  In "New York" Ambit does not have a fixed rate (since coned doesn't either publish their rates in advance), and therefore there will always be doubters, and rightfully so, since you cant see clearly black on white. But in New Jersey since Jcp&l publishes their rates 6+ months in advance, and so does Ambit, and therefore Ambit offers you a choice of a variable rate or a "fixed" rate for 12 months. Now, their variable rate in NJ is more than 25% cheaper than Jcp&l, while their fixed rate is only around 15% cheaper, yet I would only recommend someone to go with the fixed rate, Because its fixed!

So im not arguing with you, im agreeing in NY that there can be problems, but those problems exist with ANY company that's only giving you a variable rate. Its not isolated to Ambit only. Im not saying Ambit is ripping off their NY customers and im not saying they are not. Thats something anyone needs to decide if they want to trust Company x or not when its just a VARIABLE rate.

Somehow New Jersey Ambit customers that have a FIXED rate, are not complaining.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
As you can see in my sig, I am a commercial energy broker, but I do a little bit of residential electricity in JCPL (lower than Ambit). I have seen that most people who end up paying more than they should for their electricity were sold their product by someone who is ignorant about energy pricing. There are no qualifications to join Ambit, Viridian, North American Power, Ignite, or any other MLM. Some of those who sell it know what they are talking about and some do not. The ones who don't usually just regurgitate what they were told. Keep in mind that the marketing of MLMs is to the members for them to resell to others. My entire business as an energy broker is to be the expert on energy rates and to advise our clients accordingly. (Contact us through the sig for help with your energy)

A fixed price will work when it is competing against a fixed price. In NJ that is the case for electricity. Even year over year the prices do not move much due to a 3 year lag in the pricing. In NY the utility's price is variable based upon market conditions. If you have a fixed price then you will do well if the market goes up, but will lose if the market drops like it did a year ago. There are many products available and some are better and worse than others. If you wish to realize the potential savings from energy deregulation you should either make sure you know the product which you are buying or make sure that you buy from someone who does that you trust. There are many gimmicks such as teaser rates which you can be tricked by just like any other product. You should be no less careful in buying energy than any other product.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 05:38:40 PM by aygart »
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
I think I've said this before in this thread, but scam or no scam, it's not hard to take advantage of Energy Plus. You just sign up for 2 months, get your bonus points and call to cancel. They'll try to put you on a cheaper plan when you call, but if you insist you want to cancel, they will always allow you to in one phone call. Now that it sounds like I'll be getting a $75 settlement check in addition to the miles bonus, I'd say the time/energy I spent switching to EP and back to ConEd was well spent.

Offline Yeki89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
I think I've said this before in this thread, but scam or no scam, it's not hard to take advantage of Energy Plus. You just sign up for 2 months, get your bonus points and call to cancel. They'll try to put you on a cheaper plan when you call, but if you insist you want to cancel, they will always allow you to in one phone call. Now that it sounds like I'll be getting a $75 settlement check in addition to the miles bonus, I'd say the time/energy I spent switching to EP and back to ConEd was well spent.
Not every thime it works out so well.

Offline Shreknit

• View Profile
Isn't this considered MLM?

Offline Yeki89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Correct. It was discussed back in the day.

Offline Shreknit

• View Profile
Correct. It was discussed back in the day.

Thought the mods would have removed it as rules say no MLM.

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Thought the mods would have removed it as rules say no MLM.
Nobody was offering anything or trying to sign others up. There were just a number of clarifications with regard to fixed rates vs variable rates, with ANY company. Its plain knowledge that was discussed. No reason for deletions.

Offline Shreknit

• View Profile
Nobody was offering anything or trying to sign others up. There were just a number of clarifications with regard to fixed rates vs variable rates, with ANY company. Its plain knowledge that was discussed. No reason for deletions.

Clarified. Thank you

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
Not every thime it works out so well.

Did you have a bad experience (or heard of anyone who wasn't successful trying to get in and get out just for the bonus)?

Online aygart

• View Profile
The process of switching is also something which varies by state. In NJ you need to call 3 weeks before a meter read to switch at the next read. In NY it is 15 days.

I recommend calling the utility if you are switching back to default service and not to rely on the supplier to unenroll you in time.

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
The process of switching is also something which varies by state. In NJ you need to call 3 weeks before a meter read to switch at the next read. In NY it is 15 days.

I recommend calling the utility if you are switching back to default service and not to rely on the supplier to unenroll you in time.

Even if you end up having to stay with EP for an extra billing cycle, you're still going to come out on top (unless your bills are huge to begin with).

Online aygart

• View Profile
Even if you end up having to stay with EP for an extra billing cycle, you're still going to come out on top (unless your bills are huge to begin with).

That, of course, depends on how many miles you are getting, how much more they charge than the utility, whether you would have a lower price from a different supplier, and how much your usage would be. Considering that variable products tend to spike in the summer together with the energy markets and that is also when you are likely to be using the most, I would not recommend having the switch away over the summer unless you are ready to be very on top of it. It maty still be worth it, but not nearly as much .

Offline ranhan429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
anyone used Energy plus to earn miles before?
« Reply #214 on: May 16, 2014, 12:01:37 PM »
Energy Plus Link

Supposedly you earn lots of UA miles by buying electricity thru them? Anyone done it?
כפרות על כפרה

Offline sillypainter

• View Profile
Re: anyone used Energy plus to earn miles before?
« Reply #215 on: May 16, 2014, 12:03:44 PM »
PLEASE. They jack up rates after a couple of months with them. Unbeknown to me I paid $0.23/kwh for a couple of months. PLEASE, not worth, you're buying miles for $0.15-0.16.

Offline michael

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 16, 2014, 12:04:06 PM »
Yes. You earn lots and lots if miles. Maybe more than you were hoping to earn. :)

Offline george

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 16, 2014, 12:08:35 PM »
If you successfully cancel before the end of the future third billing cycle, you'll beat the scam. Otherwise you're in for a headache.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 16, 2014, 12:20:08 PM »
If you successfully cancel before the end of the future third billing cycle, you'll beat the scam. Otherwise you're in for a headache.
Make sure to know how long before your meter read date you need in order to switch for your utility, otherwise you may pay a high rate for some of your peak months. I can probably tell you if you tell me your utility.

Offline ranhan429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 16, 2014, 12:22:39 PM »
PLEASE. They jack up rates after a couple of months with them. Unbeknown to me I paid $0.23/kwh for a couple of months. PLEASE, not worth, you're buying miles for $0.15-0.16.

hm. Ok -- you sold me I ain't bothering! Thnx guys  :D
כפרות על כפרה